Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
When did the Atomic Drop become the Manhattan Drop? Did it just kind of gradually happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CobiWann posted:

When did the Atomic Drop become the Manhattan Drop? Did it just kind of gradually happen?

I think just the inverted one is called that and the regular butthole breaker is still an atomic drop?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

big black turnout posted:

Have there been any gimmick matches where the goal was to win some kind of sports game but with wrestling allowed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYvI26EQTfU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think just the inverted one is called that and the regular butthole breaker is still an atomic drop?

Think so too.

Also Rick Rude selling atomic drops. Mmmm. Good stuff.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

harperdc posted:

Think so too.

Also Rick Rude selling atomic drops. Mmmm. Good stuff.

thinking of wrestling as an upper body business left him with inadequate cushioning

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
his greatest weakness

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, or taken a knee in his butthole

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

thinking of wrestling as an upper body business left him with inadequate cushioning

“Steeeve, it’s a goddamn upper body business”

I love the kayfabe explanation. I’m guessing it’s something he wanted to sell every night, his own version of Ric Flair’s flying nothing.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So I was reading the Wikipedia article for Toots Mondt, and this sentence jumped out at me:

The Wikipedia article on Toots Mondt posted:

Jess McMahon worked for boxing promoter and New York Rangers hockey franchise founder Tex Rickard, who despised wrestling and prevented bookings in Madison Square Garden (MSG) from 1939 to 1948.

And yeah, by the looks of things, the last wrestling card in Madison Square Garden until February 22nd 1949 was on March 30th 1938.

It's just that seemed strange to me for one man to prevent wrestling going on for eleven years, especially since, as I found out once I clicked on Tex Rickard's page, he'd been dead for nine years.

So who actually stopped wrestling in MSG from taking place? I would've understood if it had been a wartime measure, but there weren't any wrestling shows there in the three years before and the four years after the US's involvement in WWII, so somebody must have been behind it. It's just that it can't have been Tex Rickard, unless he was actually a zombie the whole time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rickard could've signed a contract requiring MSG to not host wrestling in exchange for the Rangers playing there? And it expired in 1949, maybe?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Rickard could've signed a contract requiring MSG to not host wrestling in exchange for the Rangers playing there? And it expired in 1949, maybe?
It was exactly that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Venomous posted:

So who actually stopped wrestling in MSG from taking place? I would've understood if it had been a wartime measure, but there weren't any wrestling shows there in the three years before and the four years after the US's involvement in WWII, so somebody must have been behind it. It's just that it can't have been Tex Rickard, unless he was actually a zombie the whole time.
Tex Rickard wasn't just the the founder of the Rangers, he was also the head/owner of the Madison Square Garden Corporation that built and owned the actual building (the MSG that was built in 1925 and torn down in 1968), so hypothetically the founding owner of a company having his wishes followed from beyond the grave makes a lot of sense. Except this version of MSG opened in 1925 and had wrestling shows during Rickard's lifetime. Then Rickard died and MSG continued to host wrestling for another nine years.

I can't find any info on who took controlling interest in MSG Corp after Rickard's passing, so it's possible they either believed they were honoring the late Tex's wishes, or things got garbled over the years.

I *was* able to find a NYT article from 1949 decrying how obviously fake and choreographed these new wrestlers are, and how even if it was fake in the author's childhood he could *believe* that Frank Gotch and Strangler Lewis were legit tough guys who could beat anyone, not like Gorgeous George and the Duseks who are fake geeks.

That article blames the absence/fall of pro wrestling in New York more broadly to Jack Curley dying in 1937, which maybe had something to do with it? Curley was in business with Stanislaus Zbyszko, who headlined/promoted the last MSG show for nine years in 1938. If the root cause was "Tex Rickard hates/hated wrestling", maybe whatever initial deal was grandfathered in for Curley to run shows got nixed when he died?

There's a bunch of stuff with Curley convincing Zbyszko to gently caress over the Gold Dust Trio (which Toots was a third of) by shooting on their chosen world champion which was one of the first big Screwjobs, but that was in 1925 and by 1938 Toots and Curley had both helped form The Trust, the original pseudo-NWA, so that can't be the cause of the MSG ban either. Also the Trust collapsed before 1938.

Gaz-L posted:

The Rangers started playing in 1926 so that seems unlikely (though again, maybe there were stipulations in later contract renewals after Rickard died and the NHL was better established?)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 30, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i imagine NY's regulation of pro wrestling likely played a part.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Brian Dawkins Suplex

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i imagine NY's regulation of pro wrestling likely played a part.
Again, it's not that there weren't wrestling cards in New York State (and New York City) for nine years, there just weren't any at MSG. That "last MSG wrestling show" was March 30, 1938.

According to lists, there was also a show in the Bronx that night. The next day there were shows in Brooklyn and White Plains, shows the day after that in Queens and Manhattan, three shows (two in Manhattan, one in Brooklyn) the following Tuesday, etc. etc. In the nine years between the two MSG shows, there were hundreds of wrestling cards put on in the five boroughs, and even more upstate. Not all of them were huge shows, but many are reported to have 2-5,000 tickets sold and covered in newspapers, so it's not like they were flying under the radar of the sports commission.

Looking at all the data, it really looks like the reason for no wrestling at MSG is "wrestling had lost popularity in NYC". Prior to the 3/30/38 MSG show (reportedly bringing in 6,000 fans), the last MSG wrestling show was in September 1937, which was said to only draw 2,000 fans. The show before that was the "Jack Curley Memorial Wrestling Show" a few weeks prior, which drew 3,000.

The fact that it only came back to MSG in 1949 with the rise of "television wrestling", with a card headlined by Gorgeous George making what appears to be his New York City debut* lends credence to the "wrestling just wasn't popular enough to support running MSG". There was another nine months before MSG hosted wrestling again, and by that time it was Toots Mondt/Jess McMahon/Capital Wrestling pushing Antonino Rocca in a main event match "you can't see on TV". They only ran two MSG shows in 1950 (both with Rocca as the headliner), none in 1951, and two in 1951, the big one featuring touring champ Lou Thesz. Monthly MSG shows didn't really start happening until the late 1950s, and really got locked in as "the Mecca" with the rise of Bruno.

It really seems more like a boom/bust cycle than any sort of backstage/backroom machinations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CobiWann posted:

Kinda related to this, but is it also called "Atomic Drop" in Japan, where any direct reference to nuclear weaponry is verboten in television? (in the Macross franchise, they use nukes but call them "reaction weapons" instead)

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Lily Catts posted:

Kinda related to this, but is it also called "Atomic Drop" in Japan, where any direct reference to nuclear weaponry is verboten in television? (in the Macross franchise, they use nukes but call them "reaction weapons" instead)
Japanese wikipedia says it is indeed still called the Atomic Drop (atomikku doroppu) in Japan, or sometimes the genbaku-odoshi (literally "atomic bomb drop").

(link to article) https://tinyurl.com/45ckt4a4

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
...Is the Manhattan Drop meant to to reference the Manhattan Project? IE, where the Atom Bomb development happened?

I always thought it was just a variation named after whoever first started doing it, ala the Boston Crab, but this discussion has me having a weird potential fridge moment thought.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Captain Foo posted:

The Brian Dawkins Suplex

The Rodney McLeod Spinebuster

MD2020 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 31, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NameHurtBrain posted:

...Is the Manhattan Drop meant to to reference the Manhattan Project? IE, where the Atom Bomb development happened?

I always figured this was obvious and I’d be surprised if it turned out to be anything else, fwiw

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I am dumb and always assumed it was something like the "brooklyn" strike in bowling, where instead of hitting in the pocket the ball hits across the opposite side pocket

So, you know, they were hitting the balls on the opposite side and that has something to do with new york i guess

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My bowling balls don't hit any pockets, what am I doing wrong?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
All right, five years from now. Will Konosuke Takeshita be a bigger deal than Kazuchika Okada in his prime?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Coaaab posted:

All right, five years from now. Will Konosuke Takeshita be a bigger deal than Kazuchika Okada in his prime?

I think he'll be doing really well but, no, absolutely not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What're the lyrics to Will Ospreay's United Empire theme? I can make out 'Burn it down 'til the ashes fill the sky' and then the next line has so much post-processing that I can't make a drat word out.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Gaz-L posted:

What're the lyrics to Will Ospreay's United Empire theme? I can make out 'Burn it down 'til the ashes fill the sky' and then the next line has so much post-processing that I can't make a drat word out.

"Light it up 'til the flames take back the night"

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 1, 2023

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://twitter.com/TeaKaGee/status/1301513163356110851
Did Giant Baba really think that lifting weights made you gay?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

idk he had tiny pathetic arms and a loving wife so maybe.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

That statement makes me believe he thought the weight lifters could be making out with each other better if it wasnt for their big muscles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Baba definitely had that body type where your torso is too wide for the rest of your body

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Defenestrategy posted:

That statement makes me believe he thought the weight lifters could be making out with each other better if it wasnt for their big muscles.

Whoa! Hey!
Whoa! Hey!
Whoa! Hey!
Whoa! Hey!
Somebody's gonna get their lips kissed!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm imagining Makoto asking him to lift something heavy for her at the house and him going 'Do it yourself! Do you want me to become gay?'

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

it does, but thats good.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

idk he had tiny pathetic arms and a loving wife so maybe.

Lol

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Baba was also a professional pitcher, traditionally a sport/position that eschews weight training.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, with that attitude he certainly wasn't a professional catcher.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

keep em coming.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
it's the lifting weights that makes you look gay, not the playing pretend fight with you're oiled beefy friends and young lion twinks

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Baba was also a professional pitcher, traditionally a sport/position that eschews weight training.

I mean, in general he came up in the age where nobody was doing weight training even in professional sports. Go look at how Nebraska football came to be such a big deal in the ‘70s. It really took until the 1980s and 90s for that to take off in ball sports.

I think at that time when Baba would be yelling at Kobashi, not weightlifting in general but body building specifically might have still been part of the gay subculture in Japan (see also the old Chō Aniki video games…), but still.

Probably a quote you can file away with Rick Rude’s “Steve, it’s an upper body business” but with a bit more homophobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

harperdc posted:

I think at that time when Baba would be yelling at Kobashi, not weightlifting in general but body building specifically might have still been part of the gay subculture in Japan (see also the old Chō Aniki video games…), but still.

I wonder if this is what those guys in the Wall Market squatting minigame in FF7 are tapping into as well?