Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

AITA for cancelling my brothers wedding?
This one got an update.

quote:

First thing asked - me paying. Ella was promised a hefty wedding budget when she was younger. Between those years, and the pandemic, they had to dip into that wedding fund. In the end, Ella only got a third of what she was promised. She insisted that most of what she had, had to go to the dress. But she would drone on about how there were so many things the wedding wouldn’t have and how it wouldn’t be the “wedding of their dreams.”

It was only like a week after that my brother came up and asked if I could cover a few costs of the wedding while Ella’s parents made up the rest to pay it back. I do make a considerable amount more and since this would by my brothers wedding too, I agreed.

Stupid. I know.

Second most discussed - Ella’s treatment of me. Truthfully she played the nice and loving girlfriend well to most, especially my brother. Even I thought she turned a new leaf a few times but it would never last.

Some of the comments she made wouldn’t be always outwardly mean enough for a passerby to pick up (aka my brother.) Along the lines of “oh are you sure you want to go out in that? Something looser might be more comfortable.” or “I would loan you a shirt but I don’t want it to stretch out.” Mean girl comments simply put.

She lost many friends over her crazy notion of them being jealous of her (even accusing them of being in love with my brother) She had two other bridesmaids in the wedding but they were barely close as well.

Someone said it in the comments - being stuck between seeing snow white and not being able to see the evil queen within. That’s the best way to describe her. She’s beautiful but something is rotting inside.

And maybe the most asked, did they stay together?

I caved and finally answered my brother last night. From what he said, they are on a “break.” My brother had picked up on a few instances of her acting questionably but hoped it was wedding stress. He was fuming when he found out what she said. I do know she no longer has the ring.

(My brother and I’s relationship is definitely going to need some repair but I think after a long communication break, and setting up better boundaries for partners and respect to siblings in the future, we should be okay.)

Also yes I did lose some money. Just as predicted, she hoped I would end up gifting the payments anyway. Ella had told my brother that she was waiting for a surprise check from her grandparents to completely pay it off. Check didn’t exist. Thankfully the no-longer-to be in laws have agreed to sell the dress to pay me back for what I did lose, instead of legal action.

Lastly, to my boy Toast.

All of your sweet comments made me cry for an embarrassing amount of time lol. I hope I made him proud. There will never be a day I don’t defend that dog with everything I have.

He is being lovingly remembered but his family and his little brother Crumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Huh. Does that mean there's no point in ordering lactose-free milk with coffee?

No, that one's fine.

Basically what lactase does is it splits the lactose into glucose and fructose, which we can digest. If you aren't lactose intolerant, your body produces lactase and everything's fine. If you are lactose intolerant, you either need to take lactase tablets to give yourself that enzyme so your body can split the lactose, or you take lactose-free products where the lactose has already been split up. So there is no lactose in lactose-free milk, and it doesn't matter if any remaining lactase is destroyed by the heat.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Elviscat posted:

Can't even see your daughtergrandaughter more than once every two years? That's low.

When I was working as an electrician's apprentice I had to climb down in a pit to replace a sewage grinder/pump (house was below street level), when we pulled the old one out, we found the blades completely fouled with tampon fibers and pads. We told the residents why their pump failed, and gave them a list of things not to flush. Total cost was around $10k for parts and labor, including an eductor truck to suck the sewage out.

2 months later they called us back for a "warranty" service, since their new pump had failed again, pulled the pump and the same story. Told them they were getting charged for the replacement, and we'd double our labor prices next time, since climbing down into a literal poo poo hole wasn't our favorite activity, and we'd prefer they just took care of their system.

They called us back for other work later, and the husband confided in us that it had happened again, and they had called a different company. $30k in poo poo pumps in under a year!

What’s up poo poo-hole buddy!

I worked in public works for a few years and had to go into wet wells from time to time for maintenance. The absolute worst was after new years when all kinds of non-flushable trash gets flushed. There was one year when the water surface in the wet well :nms: looked like a school of Portuguese man-o-war was floating about due to all the used condoms floating to the surface and bobbing around.

The collimators just couldn’t handle them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

No, that one's fine.

Basically what lactase does is it splits the lactose into glucose and fructose, which we can digest. If you aren't lactose intolerant, your body produces lactase and everything's fine. If you are lactose intolerant, you either need to take lactase tablets to give yourself that enzyme so your body can split the lactose, or you take lactose-free products where the lactose has already been split up. So there is no lactose in lactose-free milk, and it doesn't matter if any remaining lactase is destroyed by the heat.

Ooooh, so THAT'S how it works. And heh, I get how it tastes sweeter when lactose is split into what I understand are two kinds of sugar.

Would the abovementioned cheap solution of chasing cheese with lactase-added milk still work? It seems to.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Chasing cheese is a mouse's job.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Tobermory posted:

Lactase is denatured by heat. Not only did this (presumably) ruin the beans, but it didn't do anything to the lactose.

Green beans almondine doesn’t have any dairy in it

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

it has butter

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

Green beans almondine doesn’t have any dairy in it

I assumed it has butter, or else dumping a bunch of Lactaid powder into it would be even sillier.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ooooh, so THAT'S how it works. And heh, I get how it tastes sweeter when lactose is split into what I understand are two kinds of sugar.

Would the abovementioned cheap solution of chasing cheese with lactase-added milk still work? It seems to.

I'd expect it to, if you drink enough of it, but lactose-free milk is a lot more expensive per unit lactase than just buying a bottle of lactase tablets at the local pharmacy. (Also, not all lactose-free milk is made by adding lactase.)

Tobermory posted:

I assumed it has butter, or else dumping a bunch of Lactaid powder into it would be even sillier.

Butter has basically no lactose in it to begin with!

vv "sweet" really depends on the brand. The ones here just taste like chalk, you're meant to swallow them whole.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lactaid pills on ice cream are a surprisingly good topping. crunchy, sweet, gritty, lets you avoid the bubble guts.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
You guys are putting a lot of thought into a problem that can be completely solved by a single pair of jeans.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my stepdaughter to ask her real dad for money

Reddit is telling him of his future, where he will probably be asked to pay for a wedding he's not invited to.

Sorry but the stepdaughter & wife both suck - wife let it go on for way too long, she doesn't get to pull the "that's too harsh" card after years of her husband getting poo poo on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tactlessbastard posted:

Reading is for cowards
:hai:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The lactase in the lactose-free milk will probably have been used up already. Would not recommend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Chasing cheese is a mouse's job.

Rodents actually don't like cheese that much, most of my feet or mice and rats have always preferred salty stuff like tortilla chips or crackers. I think cheese actually gives mice cancer, and rats too, but unfortunately just being alive gives rats cancer which is why I no longer have them as pets.

AITA? Boyfriend doesn’t want to split hospital bills after having a baby.

quote:

My boyfriend and I just had a baby a couple of months ago. Since then things have been rocky and I am feeling very hurt and I think he may be feeling the same way. We have been working hard to try and make this work, but keep arguing about things money, sleep and not feeling recognized for our contributions.

When I was about 4 months pregnant, I sat my boyfriend down to have a discussion about my maternity leave. I wanted for us to both be on the same page about how long I would be taking and that I would not be paid while on maternity leave. We agreed that I would take 12 weeks of maternity leave and that was our plan. A few weeks before our baby came, my boyfriend and I spoke about the upcoming events and I told him that I was going to need help paying rent. He became upset, I apologized for the miscommunication and then he helped me pay rent for the 12 weeks that I was on maternity leave.

So he made 3 rent payments. Now, awhile later, our hospital bills have arrived and he informed me last minute that he will not be splitting them with me because he helped me with rent. Even though every discussion we’ve had leading up to this, even after my leave already started, we agreed that we would split them. My boyfriend makes six figures and three times my annual salary… Well he did, but he quit his tech job to spend more time with us on maternity leave.

But that actually turned into him starting his own business which is another reason that he is complaining to me that he can’t afford to pay the hospital bills that we have both been aware of for some time now. Am I the rear end in a top hat for being upset that he is bailing on me last minute for splitting the hospital bills? I want to support him with his career and dreams, but this feels unfair. Am I the rear end in a top hat for thinking that this is unfair of him after he helped me with my rent while I was on maternity leave?

Added spacing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Stones vs. Nukes - the eternal struggle

AITA for refusing to apologise to my dad’s wife for what I said when she was rude to me?

quote:

I (24f) am currently staying with my dad at his summer house. My dad’s wife Monica is also here. To be clear, neither Monica nor I have jobs.

Monica has always had an issue with my unemployment. According to my dad she thinks it shouldn’t be the case and that my dad should pressure me to get a job, which he has declined to do. She has made the odd thinly veiled comment about it which I’ve ignored.

Being all that as it is, two days ago I was out by the pool and Monica came over to sit with me, which was pretty odd. She asked what I planned on doing for the rest of the summer and I said I was having several friends come and visit after she goes home. She asked how we all had so much free time and turned the conversation back to “work”. I was calmly dodging her barbed comments, and told her if my dad doesn’t care about my having a job, she shouldn’t either. Monica then said even if he wasn’t pushing, he would be “proud of me earning my own money” which frankly, set me off. I turned to her and said, “do you think my dad would be proud of me ‘earning’ money the way you do?”. She got very flustered and went inside.

Apparently she went to my dad in tears and told him what I said. My dad was initially on my side and said she should mind her own business, but she’s still upset and not really speaking to anyone. My dad says I should now apologise because she’s learnt her lesson and won’t try it again but it’s time to make peace because she feels uncomfortable. I think she effed around and found out, and that she’s dragging this out. If I don’t need an apology for her inappropriate behaviour, I don’t see why she needs one for my reaction. Am I being an AH by not apologising?

Just editing because people are speculating about my living situation/lifestyle - I don’t live with my dad full time, I visit him during the summer in between travelling because the house is central to a lot of destinations. I don’t live with him the rest of the year. Re my “life of leisure”, I have a degree, three qualifications in art and design, and I do internships at fashion/auction houses. I have and do “work” periodically, just not for money.
OP sounds insufferable, but that was an solid burn she landed.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rodents actually don't like cheese that much,

That's why it's called a job!!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is he the one having the baby? No? Then I don't see what the problem is.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Imagine if getting pregnant meant rolling the dice and nine months later someone's pushing a baby out their dick instead.

E:

"Not tonight, Baby. The doctor said I should give my dick a minimum of six weeks to heal before engaging in light intercourse."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

Stones vs. Nukes - the eternal struggle

AITA for refusing to apologise to my dad’s wife for what I said when she was rude to me?

OP sounds insufferable, but that was an solid burn she landed.

I mean, I'm sure OP will marry another super rich guy for money eventually right

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rodents actually don't like cheese that much, most of my feet or mice and rats have always preferred salty stuff like tortilla chips or crackers. I think cheese actually gives mice cancer, and rats too, but unfortunately just being alive gives rats cancer which is why I no longer have them as pets.
Fun historical fact, this is true - cheese wheels were just among the easiest things to get into from dry storage, so the stereotype comes from going into the shed or larder or w/e and seeing that rats had befouled the food they could access

They prefer peanut butter, like many animals

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Comments:

quote:

I see where you are coming from, and I agree that communication could have been better about rent during maternity leave. And sure he said that’s why he was quitting his job, but let me tell you— he yelled at me for interrupting his REM cycle when I was asking for a break after we first brought baby home. I had just given birth, had stitches down there and my partner refused to help me. He has spent his paternity “leave” working on his side projects. Which is fine, but I need help with the baby too especially now that I’m back at work.

quote:

It’s his baby. His baby that he was so excited for, his baby that he cut the cord for, but guess who refused to sign paternity papers at the hospital? That was really hurtful and embarrassing in front of the hospital staff. And no, there’s no way that it could be anyone else’s baby before anyone asks.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 1, 2023

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

AITA for ignoring my friend's phone calls and telling her to gently caress off?

quote:

I've (37M) been friends with Lucy (38F) for about 30 years.

Lucy always calls me when she has a problem, as we've been friends for so long and I've always been there for her. This can be something as small as editing her resume or something as big as needing a loan to make rent. Unfortunately Lucy only has one mode, emergency.

So whether it's a crisis or a simple problem, she always approaches it in emergency mode.

The other day, I was in the middle of taking a timed assessment for work on my phone. I was about 5 minutes into it when Lucy called me. As I was in the middle of the assessment, I declined the call and put her into voicemail.

As soon as I did this, she called back. I once again declined and put her into voicemail. She called back a third time and I did the same. Keeping in mind, every time she did this, it interrupted my assessment, the clock kept running, and the screen filled with her phone call taking away the question.

She texted me, which popped up on the screen, "911 call me."

I responded, "Busy, call you in 20."

She replied, "Please, it's an emergency!"

I closed the text, and continued my assessment. She then started calling again. I put 5 calls in a row into voicemail.

I was behind on my assessment so I tried to power through, but stress was getting to me.

Lucy texted me again, "Need you now!"

I lost it and texted back, "gently caress OFF!!!"

In 30 years neither of us has ever said that to each other but in that moment I just wanted her to leave me alone.

She didn't respond but stopped calling me. When I finished my assessment, I called her back and she threw me into voicemail. I texted her and said was done and could talk.

She replied, "It's fine, I took care of it."

I later learned that her car had broken down and she needed a ride to work so she wouldn't miss her shift. She wound up calling her father, she was late for work, and got a written warning. She's been very cold to me and I feel very badly that I hurt her. I've apologized for cursing at her and she just says, "It's fine," without any further comment. I'm beginning to doubt if my reaction was justified and feel horrible for damaging our friendship. Am I the rear end in a top hat for how I reacted and not helping my friend when she was in need?

Some people do this thing where they won’t tell you what’s up through text, they insist on capitalizing on your time with a phone call.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Crocobile posted:

AITA for ignoring my friend's phone calls and telling her to gently caress off?

Some people do this thing where they won’t tell you what’s up through text, they insist on capitalizing on your time with a phone call.

Not the rear end in a top hat. Lucy seems like an incredibly exhausting person to deal with. I hope the OP enjoys their break until Lucy sends yet another "EMERGENCY111!! 1!1" text.

Also the OP was loving stupid for having their phone turned on during a timed exam.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my dad's wife I am not throwing her daughter a baby shower?

quote:

My dad's stepdaughter is 18 and she's expecting a baby. I don't know much about the circumstances overall. I only know there is no father in the picture for this baby and no paternal family either. Oh, and that she's living with my dad and his wife again.

So my dad's wife called me up randomly a few days ago and told me that her daughters friends are not offering to throw her a baby shower and that as her sister, I would be the next best person to throw her one, because I am closer to her age group. She told me I have failed her daughter as a sister in the past by refusing to be her big sister and acting like I don't have a responsibility to her. This is where I can make it up to her and get off on good footing as an aunt.

I told my dad's wife I would not be throwing her daughter a shower but she is more than free to and if I have the time available I might show up. She told me it wasn't good enough and I'm supposed to be her daughter's big sister, that she promised her a big sister. I told her she should have adopted an older girl OR found a husband with a daughter who wanted to be a big sister. I told her she married a man whose daughter had no interest in taking on the role and after 15 years it was time she accepted that. She told me that my behavior was worse than when I chose to stop going to my dad's house during his parenting time when I was 13. I told her I was okay with that.

I thought we were done but yesterday she called again and I gave her the same answer; no. She called me an rear end in a top hat and told me I am hurting her daughter who is innocent in all of this.

Late last night I got a message from, who I assume is her daughter but I can't be positive since I don't have the girls number, and she said she was sorry her mom was being pushy and she was sorry if I hated her but she would really love it if I wanted to even throw a shower with her. She said she could really use a big sister and she's always loved me even if I never loved or cared about her. It made me question if I was too harsh in saying no because she did hit the nail on the head, she always loved and admired me while I never loved or cared for her.

AITA?

why can't mom throw the baby shower? :confused:

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

8one6 posted:

Not the rear end in a top hat. Lucy seems like an incredibly exhausting person to deal with. I hope the OP enjoys their break until Lucy sends yet another "EMERGENCY111!! 1!1" text.

Also the OP was loving stupid for having their phone turned on during a timed exam.

The way I read it the OP was taking the exam on their phone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nurglings posted:

The way I read it the OP was taking the exam on their phone

Most modern phones have a do not disturb/suppress all notifications button

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's my favorite button

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s possible to push through those in super emergencies which makes what she was doing even more hosed up.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset and embarrassed by my boyfriend's tattoo?

Makes your boyfriend look like a stupid redneck?

coronatae posted:

Someone in my friend group has made being lactose intolerant like 80% of their personality, and they are always armed with different options for aiding lactose digestion. During a big get-together another friend was cooking green beans amandine to serve the group and the lactose intolerant friend dumped lactaid powder onto the entire still-cooking dish that was going to be served to everyone

Yucky. That stuff has a very noticeable aftertaste.

When I was a kid, I was slightly lactose intolerant and had 2 weeks where a fart would slip out during music class, which was 3 days a week. It was pretty embarrassing to little me. Thinking back, I’m guessing it’s because we had to sit in the floor for music class instead of in a desk.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 1, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Batterypowered7 posted:

Imagine if getting pregnant meant rolling the dice and nine months later someone's pushing a baby out their dick instead.

E:

"Not tonight, Baby. The doctor said I should give my dick a minimum of six weeks to heal before engaging in light intercourse."

On one hand it would be very painful for men.
On other hand penises would have to be HUGE!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like I saw some of that in the old DeviantArt thread.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Don’t female hyenas have penises that explode open when they give birth?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Crocobile posted:

No, that's your mom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crocobile posted:

Yep. They give birth through what's anatomically a heavily modified clitoris with a tube through it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who’s been going around modifying hyena clits?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Mustang posted:

I bet that dude doesn't have an education of any kind himself either.

He got promoted to head bag boy at the wal mart which he had to discuss with the girlfriend.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my dad's wife I am not throwing her daughter a baby shower?

why can't mom throw the baby shower? :confused:

There is a traditional rule that showers are not thrown by the close relatives of the pregnant person. As far as I know, it's pretty much ignored, if people even know about it at all. But! Even if they were for some reason paying attention to this rule, OP counts as a close relative according to the mom. My read is that this is Mom's latest chance to force OP to be part of their happy extended family. Possibly with the bonus that everybody at the shower sees that OP is part of the happy extended family.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who’s been going around modifying hyena clits?

Sorry, that was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i'm no science guy, but i'm pretty sure it was the hyenas themselves.

an inside job for an outside clit