Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

priznat posted:

I finished the main story of Midnight Suns and the DLC missions (excellent game, will NG+ it for sure) and was going to dig into my steam backlog for other things to try out on Deck.. I had bought Griftlands on sale so thought to try that but unfortunately even though it is "verified" the text is way too small to play easily I found. Seems to be a thing with Klei games, Oxygen Not Included is also verified but I had the same issue. Maybe younger folks find it easier but the text is really small on the Deck screen.

Ah well going to see if Disco Elysium is also in the same boat.

I’m also wrapping up Midnight Suns, really solid and enjoyable title. Not sure if I’ll go back and NG+ at the moment as I have a gigantic back log

Disco Elysium is probably a GOAT title for me and I beat it once on my laptop and once on steam deck, I thought it played just fine on the deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've got a 64GB Steam Deck and am planning to upgrade the drive in it to a 1TB NVMe.

I remember reading early on that there was some difference in the 64GB from the other models that had to do with drives -- if I follow one of the internet upgrade guides (which all seem to say about the same thing), I'm not going to have some critical issue due to difference in the 64GB model from the others, right?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The 64gb models use slower shittier memory but that makes no difference if you’re replacing it because it’ll be gone

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've got a 64GB Steam Deck and am planning to upgrade the drive in it to a 1TB NVMe.

I remember reading early on that there was some difference in the 64GB from the other models that had to do with drives -- if I follow one of the internet upgrade guides (which all seem to say about the same thing), I'm not going to have some critical issue due to difference in the 64GB model from the others, right?

I just did the SSD swap on my 64gb model a couple of days ago, and used the standard ifixit guide. It went fairly smoothly, so I don't think you have much to worry about

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

The only difference is the drive, the 64GB is a emmc which is like, a sd card soldered to a m2 card. When you take the drives out they're all the same.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

There are generally three ways you can gently caress up an SSD upgrade.

1. You forget to remove the SD card before opening the Deck (it will snap in half).
2. You use wrong size screwdriver head that slips and strips the screws.
3. You forget to disconnect the battery cable before you swap the SSD.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re a pro* like me you can absolutely skip step one and do the change without snapping your sd card in half :smuggo:

*forgetful but lucky moron :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I used an old USB and it couldn't read the recovery image, so I put it on my SD card instead.

If you used the 64GB thing with emulators, I'd recommend getting a USB-C enclosure so you can rip off any saves/data from it just in case!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aai2AtxenU0

Fun video on various thermal mods for the Deck. Gonna go for the JSAUX back plate (vented) after watching this and just continuing to frankenstein my deck rather than try to mod it back to vanilla to get it RMA'd for the thermal throttling I run into if I'm playing anything intensive while unplugged. If that alone doesn't do it then I'll go for the honeywell pad after.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tater_salad posted:

How siqq is it
Howuch of a pain in the rear end is it.
It's :sicknasty:

Getting it on is easy enough, the backplate just takes a bit of prying to get off after you take off all of the screws but the rest is just snapping poo poo into place. However, if you want to change the height of the back buttons, you have to undo some more screws that hold on the back buttons and the PCBs with the LEDs on them, kinda fiddly but nothing major.

CBD Corndog posted:

does it also have alignment issues near the memory card slot like the transparent one I have does, or is the seam flush?

Mine doesn't have this issue, everything is lined up quite flush:

Ignore the marks on the black plastic, that was my own idiocy.

I'm also coming from the old JSAUX backplate with the large chunk of exposed metal that would get hot to the touch. and they addressed that but putting plastic over it so, while that area does get hot it's not as hot.

I also have a PTM thermal pad in the mail so I'll be adding that to my Deck as well to give it more cooling.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

homeless snail posted:

The only difference is the drive, the 64GB is a emmc which is like, a sd card soldered to a m2 card. When you take the drives out they're all the same.

That's what I was thinking of and contextualizes it comfortably. Thanks, everyone.

jokes posted:

I'd recommend getting a USB-C enclosure so you can rip off any saves/data from it just in case!

I also grabbed one of those because I made multiple significant customizations to the Linux subsystem (which I don't use and can't remember) and also have forgotten my sudo password at least once (which hopefully I do still remember or the `dd` is going to be difficult).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh man that’s awesome. How do you control the lights?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wish there was a black JSAUX backplate

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that sounds like 2 mins in a well-ventilated area with a can of spray paint

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Subjunctive posted:

Oh man that’s awesome. How do you control the lights?

In the upper right on the back of the plate you'll see a new USB-C and a black button. The button cycles through Rainbow, Breathing Red/Blue/Green/Purple/etc, and then there's a breathing setting that fades in and out of various colors. Holding the button turns it on and off and pressing it changes the modes.

It also comes with 2 rubber grips that I don't really care for, but they have some thin areas that you can't see through, but the lights will shine through with a diffused look. It's neat but it definitely blocks most of the light.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is really cool. Also, what is that keyboard for? I'm intrigued.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Baldurs Gate 3 just had a community update today saying steam deck won't have split screen play.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3655285307835439472

Larian posted:

Will BG3 Run on Steam Deck at Launch?

Yes, you can play Baldur’s Gate 3 on your Steam Deck at launch and it looks rad. We are aiming for Steam Deck Verified by August 3’s launch date. It launches on Steam Deck with what we consider to be the most optimal graphics settings, but feel free to play around. You’ll be able to avail of full controller support, and split-screen will be disabled on Steam Deck.

This is the first I've heard of developers disabling features specifically for the steam deck for performance reasons. I hope it doesn't start a trend.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Detective No. 27 posted:

I could be mistaken but those look like Norwegian maritime symbols

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think I’m okay not playing split screen on my deck

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What buttons do you press to start pouring green tea in Dave the Diver?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theyre not porting bg3 to xbox at all because it requires feature parity and they cant get split screen working on the S, so

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

hadji murad posted:

What buttons do you press to start pouring green tea in Dave the Diver?

Hold the right stick down.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ZIGfried posted:

Baldurs Gate 3 just had a community update today saying steam deck won't have split screen play.

This is the first I've heard of developers disabling features specifically for the steam deck for performance reasons. I hope it doesn't start a trend.

I know what you mean, but the move reads deck friendly to me actually.

"we tried it, it's fucky on linux right now" is a valid reason to delay a feature especially to shed the stigma of linux for gaming being fucky

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I read it more as "who in their right mind would even want split screen on a handheld" :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Idk like a quarter of why I like the Steam Deck is its the ultimate local multiplayer box, I probably have my Deck docked more than my Switch.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i love docking with my friends

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ZIGfried posted:

Since the steam deck is just a pc, I give it 6 hours before someone patches out the steam deck detection or patches in split screen or both.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

My computer, it's just an ortholinear 40% with an Alien Semiotic keycap set: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sp-g20-semiotic-keyset-sublimated/

It's all just glyphs used in the first Alien film. They're mostly random save for certain keys that pertain to certain keys on the keyboard: the top row are numbers and the 10-key is actually a functioning 10-key when I hold down one of the modifier keys with my thumb. Other than that it's just a regular, small rear end keyboard that I had to relearn how to type on and now I legitimately struggle on a regularly spaced keyboard. lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ZIGfried posted:

lazy devs

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

kneelbeforezog posted:

What are some other good games where you have to detect clues as part of the gameplay loop? Ive yet to check this or Obra Dinn out.

In addition to your page of Outer Wilds suggestions, I would say Superliminal, Portal, and Portal 2 if like solving puzzles by observing your environment.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

homeless snail posted:

Its the two jankiest things in the world, an early access game and also a procgen game so its both extremely buggy and also being a mystery game you sometimes don't know if you're too dumb to solve the mystery or if it hosed up. Getting better though.

I love it though, I've never played a game that nails the detective fantasy as hard as it does. The fantasy of, putting up all the evidence on your corkboard and connecting all the dots and trying to sort out what's actually relevant and what's a red herring, and then getting stuck and walking around the city racking your brain on how to break the case open before the killer strikes again. Its a totally different kind of detective game than Outer Wilds or Obra Dinn or whatever though, since its all logical deductions in a procgen sandbox city, and not nicely designed handcrafted puzzles.

Just so you know, after not really knowing anything about it, I bought Shadows of Doubt last night because of this post. Haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait to jump in, jank or no.

It seems similar to, though obviously much more advanced than, Noir Syndrome, which I loved despite its simplicity.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On a whim I tried Mars First Logistics because it’s on sale and played a solid 2 hours of it in bed last night.

It really scratches the simultaneous itches of building with lego, fighting the terrain in something like snowrunner or death stranding and the delivery aspect of something like truck simulator, cloudpunk or elite dangerous

I was simultaneously trying to make the perfect build for the task at hand and seeing what janky thing could still get the job done.

Highly recommended.

Highly not recommended if you want a deep, engrossing story. It’s literally “here is a thing and here is where you need to take it, build a vehicle to do that”. If there is any story here I haven’t seen it yet.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 1, 2023

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Mars First Logistics' sound design and music are top-notch too. Every piece snaps in place with a satisfying pop, and your vehicle sounds so good when you're driving around or using special motors/attachments.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s really pretty great yeah. I discovered that if you hold the throttle at about 75% you get no motor noise, just the crunch of mars gravel under your wheels, and you still go basically full speed.

The silent sound of rolling along the surface of mars is very relaxing, oddly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also I will say the handling model is really fun. It’s realistic enough that you understand why your rover is doing what it’s doing based on how you built it and what the terrain is like, but it’s also sort of loosely goosey enough that builds that technically shouldn’t work can still work, or at least work better than they would IRL, within reason.

It really works to keep you interested in experimenting because there’s always a chance that your build might just work good enough.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

On a whim I tried Mars First Logistics because it’s on sale and played a solid 2 hours of it in bed last night.

It really scratches the simultaneous itches of building with lego, fighting the terrain in something like snowrunner or death stranding and the delivery aspect of something like truck simulator, cloudpunk or elite dangerous

I was simultaneously trying to make the perfect build for the task at hand and seeing what janky thing could still get the job done.

Highly recommended.

Highly not recommended if you want a deep, engrossing story. It’s literally “here is a thing and here is where you need to take it, build a vehicle to do that”. If there is any story here I haven’t seen it yet.

Thank you this game sounds perfect and I’ve never heard of it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I should have linked the game, sorry: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1532200/Mars_First_Logistics/

Also, the game is in early access and is already a lot of fun, I’m excited to see where they go with it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
how in the hell is Resident Evil Village running this well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RE:Engine is GOATed. Monster Hunter on switch is one of the best looking games on the system. Even on PS4/Xbone the resi games still look amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

RE:Engine is GOATed. Monster Hunter on switch is one of the best looking games on the system. Even on PS4/Xbone the resi games still look amazing
MHRise looks amazing on the switch, I can't even imagine how good it looks on more powerful platforms.