Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just looked it up and Algeria alone has a bigger military and military budget than all of the current ECOWAS members put together lol.

if they seriously back the four countries promising to respond to an invasion of Niger with force, ECOWAS is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

Alright, so here’s the hope spot. As American capitalism dissolves all social structures, all elements of social life, in the pursuit of profit, a situation that is not only unpopular but the ultimate expression of which is as much of an impossibility as total religious conformity, they’re trapped too. See, total atomization fundamentally goes against human nature. People will resist it, and organize alternatives - even if they don’t see this as resistance against the state. The state isn’t offering alternatives, it has to defend atomized neoliberal hell, so what’s perceived as a threat, as neoliberalism progresses, would seem to extend to nearly all social life.

Well if they turn people who “want food” and “want to have families” into enemies of the state to defend neoliberalism, they’re going to face the same ultimate problem where people’s loyalties will shift to an alternative. As much as Americans still shake in their boots at Chinese Communism, when they see that people living under the CCP can have kids, and have employment, pensions, whatever, and trying to have those things in America unleashes state violence on them, they are eventually going to realize that their lives are better under the alternative, and since the state has tied itself to a system they hate, their loyalty to the state disappears too.

thanks for the effortpost again. I wonder how good the media machine is/will be at hiding how bad the life of the average american(or westerner I guess) compared to the rising standards of the average chinese citizen.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What are modern Late Antiquity scholars' opinions of Ostrogorsky and his History of the Byzantine State? It was my first foray into many of the topics of Late Antiquity and Eastern Rome, and it seemed materially grounded enough to my understanding at the time - a bunch of discussion on how changes in land ownership impacted military requirement etc.

Whole book is up on Archive.org in any case anyone wants to check it out:
https://archive.org/details/historyofbyzanti0000unse

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Aug 1, 2023

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Halser posted:

thanks for the effortpost again. I wonder how good the media machine is/will be at hiding how bad the life of the average american(or westerner I guess) compared to the rising standards of the average chinese citizen.

it’s already worse except for maybe 10% of Americans

actually it’s probably only better for the top 1% tbh

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Vomik posted:

it’s already worse except for maybe 10% of Americans

actually it’s probably only better for the top 1% tbh

I think this underestimates how poor a lot of rural Chinese people are (even after Xi's reforms) but its certainly going to match the baseline of the US within the next few decades, and the rural poor get far more help too

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There's a new general book I recommend, it's by a young guy, Michael Kulikowski, incorporates the latest scholarship from a solid social and economic perspective. It's readable, entertaining and available as an audiobook, paperback or hardcover (which is not common in the discipline) The Tragedy of Empire: From Constantine to the Destruction of Roman Italy.

He goes out of his way to identify what narratives were popularized by 19th century nationalists, and why, which ones are circulating now because of the alt-right, and spends a few very thoughtful pages explaining that the Hunensturm has been repopularized lately is entirely because of European reaction to Syrian refugees. He explains why all of these myths "everybody knows" are not just incorrect, but why they are employed in the first place, which most historians are too cautious to do.

There's also a woman who just received her doctorate who wrote an incredible book on Arabia but her name escapes me. Again, she doesn't just talk about Islam but why what "everybody knows" about Islam's origins aren't just incorrect, but recent, and motivated. It's not very general though and might be a bit difficult to get into, but it's very good.

e: Grasso, Valentina A. Pre-Islamic Arabia: Societies, Politics, Cults and Identities during Late Antiquity.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Al-Saqr posted:

I just looked it up and Algeria alone has a bigger military and military budget than all of the current ECOWAS members put together lol.

if they seriously back the four countries promising to respond to an invasion of Niger with force, ECOWAS is hosed.

may not be the best point of comparison, the arsenal of democracy has like 30x the military budget of the Russian federation and yet here we are 18 months later with the entire western world being out of shells. Any comparisons like that kind of depend on just how much grifting is going on in each of the countries being compared.

**like that kind of comparison was the sole justification being offered time and again by the NAFO freaks and other slightly more serious people on why it was literally impossible for Russia to win. You just plug the numbers into a spreadsheet and you see that NATO has dozens of times more of everything that matters than Russia so if NATO is funding Ukraine's war effort and Ukraine doesn't just immediately surrender then Russia can not possibly win in the long run when the weapons start arriving.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Aug 1, 2023

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Starsfan posted:

may not be the best point of comparison, the arsenal of democracy has like 30x the military budget of the Russian federation and yet here we are 18 months later with the entire western world being out of shells. Any comparisons like that kind of depend on just how much grifting is going on in each of the countries being compared.

based on who they’re being supplied by I trust the effectiveness of the Algerian dollar compared to say the Nigerian defense budget, the other large country that’s talked about intervening

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Starsfan posted:

**like that kind of comparison was the sole justification being offered time and again by the NAFO freaks and other slightly more serious people on why it was literally impossible for Russia to win. You just plug the numbers into a spreadsheet and you see that NATO has dozens of times more of everything that matters than Russia so if NATO is funding Ukraine's war effort and Ukraine doesn't just immediately surrender then Russia can not possibly win in the long run when the weapons start arriving.

yeah you might be right, i looked up the GDP of alegeria and it's 160 billion with the military taking up 23 billion, and Nigeria has a GDP of 440 BILLION but their military is only 5-6 billion that's really strange and probably means the military of algeria is corrupt as poo poo and sucking the blood out of the algerian economy.

Military regimes, they're bad folks!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Isentropy posted:

based on who they’re being supplied by I trust the effectiveness of the Algerian dollar compared to say the Nigerian defense budget, the other large country that’s talked about intervening

Yeah I have to say I'm not particularly well informed about the internal workings of Algeria but alot of what I have heard about them is that the Algerians are basically the last country in Africa you want to gently caress with and they take their military pretty seriously.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah you might be right, i looked up the GDP of alegeria and it's 160 billion with the military taking up 23 billion, and Nigeria has a GDP of 440 BILLION but their military is only 5-6 billion that's really strange and probably means the military of algeria is corrupt as poo poo and sucking the blood out of the algerian economy.

I wonder if it’s like Egypt where things like bread and clothing production are owned by military conglomerates. A quick search showed they don’t exactly have a strong manufacturing industry

e: I think Algeria also operates under some sanctions/isn’t fully transparent, this may explain a lot as well

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

y combinator but for WAR

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Nigeria is a petrostate, most of that GDP is from Shell sucking out the oil and polluting the coast beyond human habitation.

They also have the largest population in Africa, but I don't think that is something that can be leveraged in a situation like this.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Aug 1, 2023

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

i feel like an organization is probably hosed in the first place if they have to seriously consider starting a war against like half of their own members

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Algerian Land Forces are where all the cool Russian equipment the Russian government couldn't afford before 2008 ended up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Nigeria is a petrostate, most of that GDP is from Shell sucking out the oil and polluting the coast beyond human habitation.

They also have the largest population in Africa, but I don't think that is something that can be leveraged in a situation like this.

I disagree, Ukraine is leveraging their population quite effectively

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

I disagree, Ukraine is leveraging their population quite effectively

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Why are we still talking about GDP, like ot isnt a bullshit number. Remember how California has a higher GDP than Russia, this will be easy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Algerian Land Forces - on paper - have two real deal Soviet pattern armoured divisions with the aforementioned Kit-Russia-Couldn't-Afford, and two mechanized divisions of the same.

Now the problem is that Saudi Arabia and Jordan should be formidable militaries based on their spending and TOE as well, but that's plainly not the case. I can't find anything on the doctrine or training of the Algerian military, nor how they did in the Arab-Israeli Wars, their war with Morocco or their civil war.

hmm, I didn't know Mandela was in the Algerian Army. “The Algerian Army Made Me A Man”

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Aug 1, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Political Science is not a real science:

From The Democratizer Army Paradox: The Role of the Algerian Army in Impeded Democratization

e: Where Gunnery plainly is,

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Aug 1, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

Well if they turn people who “want food” and “want to have families” into enemies of the state to defend neoliberalism, they’re going to face the same ultimate problem where people’s loyalties will shift to an alternative. As much as Americans still shake in their boots at Chinese Communism, when they see that people living under the CCP can have kids, and have employment, pensions, whatever, and trying to have those things in America unleashes state violence on them, they are eventually going to realize that their lives are better under the alternative, and since the state has tied itself to a system they hate, their loyalty to the state disappears too.

Americans wanted pensions and peaches. (Georgia lost it's peach crop to a warm winter.)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Nigeria is already at war with part of the Sahelian population and they're not really winning. Though I think people are jumping ahead of themselves on Algeria, I don't know what "Intel Kirby" is but the Algerian government hasn't said anything yet

https://twitter.com/Africa_Archives/status/1686290495545454592

It does seem a bit weird if every country the French wrangled into policing the Sahel decided to do a 180 at the same time.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Intel kirby is when kirby goes to the computer chip factory

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The Algerian Land Forces are where all the cool Russian equipment the Russian government couldn't afford before 2008 ended up.

A whole army kitted out like end-game level Stalkers... I wouldn't mind one of those crazy 12mm assault rifles.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i vaguely remember radio war nerd talking about the nigerian army being notoriously bad compared to their neighbors
they mentioned some joke about how all you would see of it was the dust could from it running away

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Nigeria is already at war with part of the Sahelian population and they're not really winning. Though I think people are jumping ahead of themselves on Algeria, I don't know what "Intel Kirby" is but the Algerian government hasn't said anything yet

https://twitter.com/Africa_Archives/status/1686290495545454592

It does seem a bit weird if every country the French wrangled into policing the Sahel decided to do a 180 at the same time.

probably doesnt help empyting out all your armouries and dedicating all your resources to an eternal war in eastern europe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i see so what youre saying is that the united states of africa must have been bad or else why would putin have rigged an election against hillary just to get back at her for this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Algeria gave some of their T-72s to Ukraine, even as Russian deliveries of T-90s continues, is that right?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Algeria gave some of their T-72s to Ukraine, even as Russian deliveries of T-90s continues, is that right?

Morocco gave t72s to ukraine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Morocco versus Algeria is like the 2nd order derivative proxy war.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1686467492347031553?s=20

:iiam:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The reason is that nationality, race, even religion, took on concrete meanings in the Enlightenment and are central to liberalism and how liberals see the polity.They then project that backwards. That's why I want to blow a gasket at people milking university administrators, the media and publishers by talking about "People of Colour in Antiquity", "Blackness in the Roman Empire". They didn't see it in those terms and you're not learning or explaining anything if you try to frame it in those terms. Quite literally, you're ignoring everything we know about their lived experience to talk about Rome as if it was 21st century America, exactly what we criticize Old White Men for doing in the 19th and 20th centuries. To link it to that news item a while back, even if you think Cleopatra VII Ptolemy was "Black" however you want to define that - but let's be real, in terms of race as understood in contemporary America (she wasn't) - neither she, nor anyone around her would have seen her or interacted with her in those terms. Which means it has no explanatory value.

this is what i find so fascinating and frustrating about so much allegedly intersectionalist thought in the last ten years everyone takes it for granted that the way old white men used to do things in academic historiography was bad but hardly anyone seems to know why it was bad and when pressed on the topic what they generally come up with is that since old white men were doing the historiography that meant that they were supporting predominantly old white and male viewpoints

this isnt wrong of course but this just begs the question of what an old white and male viewpoint is and thats not too hard to quantify a viewpoint that presupposes unjustified nostalgia for past eras and presumed white supremacy and generally assumes that only the things men did were important all of these are clear flaws in the historiography that can be easily corrected by just checking the privilege involved in making these kinds of statements

the problem we have now is that this privilege is only very narrowly checked based on to what extent the person making the statement is old white and male someone who isnt any of those three things is simply assumed to be immune to any of these criticisms and lo and behold the most important pop historian of our era is nikole hannah jones a youngish black woman whose work is loaded with unjustified nostalgia and presumed white supremacy and assumptions that only the things men did were important literally the only thing not making her a reactionary is that the thesis of her work is explicitly that racism is bad and hardly anyone bothers to examine it in any more detail than that

this is my real issue with a lot of woke rhetoric is that its just the ultimate popular shorthand of lazier halfassed third wave feminist style historiography where making the message easily understood is considered more important than making that message coherent and no one even seems to grasp the irony of the fact that the entire reason why gibbons style historiography was so popular for so long is that it functions as great imperial apologism for this exact reason you can shitpost about how rome fell because they were having all this gay sex and while its not wrong its so far removed from a useful context that you can repurpose nearly any vaguely true pithy statement to push whatever stupid policy position you want without having any idea to what extent such an analogy is at all reasonable

given all this it shouldnt surprise anyone that the new improved easily accessible woke rhetoric of the 20s is so much more amenable to permanent war in ukraine than the old less well broadcast leftist rhetoric of the 00s was to the iraq war because easily understood rhetoric has weaker structural support and can be more easily molded to fit whatever it is the empire wants to say hence why were now expected to be stoked and excited for better awareness when better awareness on its own is useless weve been better aware that cops love shooting black people for a decade now and gently caress all has happened to actually do anything about it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

We have this thread because a bunch of people whined and mods kicked us out of the eurasia thread.

lets be fair the pacing of constant war posts was really loving up the generally slower burn of the eurasia thread

id been asking before that happened for russia slash eastern europe stuff to be its own thread and we have that now yay except some jackass mod is probably going to close the thread when the wars over and well have to go back to the eurasia thread booo

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No I think we will have at least one thread dedicated to the fallout of the Ukrainian war.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

the military of algeria is corrupt as poo poo and sucking the blood out of the algerian economy

dude, you do know that has a whole lot to do in opposing France, right

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hatebag posted:

Commit 3 holodomors labelled 1, 3, and 4,

Too much work. Here's a better idea - commit just one Holodomor named Holodomor 5. Then people will assume there are 4 other Holodomors.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some Guy TT posted:

this is what i find so fascinating and frustrating about so much allegedly intersectionalist thought in the last ten years everyone takes it for granted that the way old white men used to do things in academic historiography was bad but hardly anyone seems to know why it was bad and when pressed on the topic what they generally come up with is that since old white men were doing the historiography that meant that they were supporting predominantly old white and male viewpoints

this isnt wrong of course but this just begs the question of what an old white and male viewpoint is and thats not too hard to quantify a viewpoint that presupposes unjustified nostalgia for past eras and presumed white supremacy and generally assumes that only the things men did were important all of these are clear flaws in the historiography that can be easily corrected by just checking the privilege involved in making these kinds of statements

the problem we have now is that this privilege is only very narrowly checked based on to what extent the person making the statement is old white and male someone who isnt any of those three things is simply assumed to be immune to any of these criticisms and lo and behold the most important pop historian of our era is nikole hannah jones a youngish black woman whose work is loaded with unjustified nostalgia and presumed white supremacy and assumptions that only the things men did were important literally the only thing not making her a reactionary is that the thesis of her work is explicitly that racism is bad and hardly anyone bothers to examine it in any more detail than that

this is my real issue with a lot of woke rhetoric is that its just the ultimate popular shorthand of lazier halfassed third wave feminist style historiography where making the message easily understood is considered more important than making that message coherent and no one even seems to grasp the irony of the fact that the entire reason why gibbons style historiography was so popular for so long is that it functions as great imperial apologism for this exact reason you can shitpost about how rome fell because they were having all this gay sex and while its not wrong its so far removed from a useful context that you can repurpose nearly any vaguely true pithy statement to push whatever stupid policy position you want without having any idea to what extent such an analogy is at all reasonable

given all this it shouldnt surprise anyone that the new improved easily accessible woke rhetoric of the 20s is so much more amenable to permanent war in ukraine than the old less well broadcast leftist rhetoric of the 00s was to the iraq war because easily understood rhetoric has weaker structural support and can be more easily molded to fit whatever it is the empire wants to say hence why were now expected to be stoked and excited for better awareness when better awareness on its own is useless weve been better aware that cops love shooting black people for a decade now and gently caress all has happened to actually do anything about it

:hmmyes:

That was great. I'll write up a proper reply, but I have to pretend to work for the next 20 minutes. You nailed it, particularly where nikole hannah jones is concerned.

I won't chicken little and say her ideas are "dangerous" but reifying Victorian racism is going to create some bonkers beliefs in undergraduates, which we've already started to see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Political Science is not a real science:

From The Democratizer Army Paradox: The Role of the Algerian Army in Impeded Democratization

e: Where Gunnery plainly is,

The local army/air force bombing range is an endangered bird reserve and recently people got in trouble for going off-roading there (more than usual) and loving with the birds' nesting areas in the process

Risking your life dicing with UXO just to go gently caress up some bird nests with your 4wd is incredibly, ineffably new zealand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/OlgaBazova/status/1686416498921820173

would've thought the professional was the tank commander and not the driver