Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Superman 3 when that lady gets turned into a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WHY BONER NOW posted:

that part is so hosed up. the wires grab her and put that metal poo poo in her eyes. what the gently caress who put that in my goofy Richard Pryor movie.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

that part is so hosed up. the wires grab her and put that metal poo poo in her eyes. what the gently caress who put that in my goofy Richard Pryor movie.

And shortly after, it begins assimilating loving Superman himself...I forgot how nerve wracking that part is too, haha

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
The scary parts of David Copperfield (1993), Little Nemo, and The Princess and the Goblin all just kinda live in my amygdala as some kind of Frankenstein's movie memory.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

The Land Before Time :colbert:

We watched this with our kid when she was 7 or so. It is just one heartbreak after another. By the end you barely reach a place of happiness or redemption. It's more like the suffering is finally over.

E: Seeing Jason's mom's head on the table in Friday the 13th part II freaked me and my friend out. We were probably 13 or so

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 31, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The critter ball in Critters 2 was the scariest thing I could conceive of as a child, specifically when it runs over that guy and leaves a twitching skeleton behind. I had nightmares about being instantly vaporized into a bloody skeleton, being eaten by piranha, stuff like that. I rewatched the movie as an adult with my wife and kind of jokingly said "Haha this looks so stupid now" but a small part of my brain still remembers how much that freaked me out.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

tim curry's toxic love from fern gully was terrifying

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Sucrose posted:

is your dad a legit psychopath?

My dad was. He took my mom to see The Exorcist and laughed like a maniac the whole time, especially the final swan dive. They saw it in Georgetown and walked past the balcony where that scene was filmed, and it really freaked her out.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

We watched this with our kid when she was 7 or so. It is just one heartbreak after another. By the end you barely reach a place of happiness or redemption. It's more like the suffering is finally over.

They made like 15 sequels and most of them are much tamer, tone wise. My kids love them but yeah we don't watch the first one very much.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2023

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That poo poo was crazy

The first scene with the Harkonnens in Lynch's Dune (draining boils! rat juice! heart plug!) messed me up considerably and also turned me into a lifelong Lynch fan

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
I saw Salem's Lot way, way too young, probably around 6 years old. That coffin scene and the kid scratching at the window terrified me for years.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

AvesPKS posted:

They made like 15 sequels and most of them are much tamer, tone wise. My kids love them but yeah we don't watch the first one very much.
Whoever wrote that must have been in a dark place

Doesn't the kid have a leaf that the mom gave him and even that leaf is lost? I remember something like that and my kid crying out when it happens. And that's like 1 scene of a dozen ruthless bits.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 31, 2023

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Dick Jones posted:

Amazing Stories on NBC. The one where the guy discovers a liquid that turns the subject of a photo into a real life being.
leave it to 1980s speculative fiction writers to forget that a lingerie model is an actual human person already

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Oh yeah seeing the extended very explicit birth scenes in Milo and Otis in the theater

That was really something at 8 years old

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

The 1988 Blob. Saw it in theaters new and it just completely hosed me up because all bets were off as to who could die, including the kid in the sewers.

The scene where the guy is trying to plunge the sink haunted my nightmares for YEARS after seeing this as a 7 year old.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Whoever wrote that must have been in a dark place

Doesn't the kid have a leaf that the mom gave him and even that leaf is lost? I remember something like that and my kid crying out when it happens. And that's like 1 scene of a dozen ruthless bits.

Yeah and they all almost die in horrific circumstances multiple times.

I also have to mention All Dogs Go to Heaven. I can srill hear that little girl cry out for Charlie.

Actually and An American Tail too when Fievel gets separated from his family. Thanks Don Bluth.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
gently caress you, babysitter who allowed me to watch Killer Klowns From Outer Space when I was 6

ugh, that human puppet scene

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the yips from the muppet show

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
When Tom Cruise dances with the plague corpse in Interview with the Vampire, 10 or 11 years old.

Straight left the room shaking then barfed all over the bedroom. Couldn't get that out of my head for weeks.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

maybealabia posted:

Oh yeah seeing the extended very explicit birth scenes in Milo and Otis in the theater

That was really something at 8 years old

Imagine if the kid version of you knew the real horrors that movie was hiding at the time.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
One time when we had a babysitter, she let me watch an episode of “The Commish” and in the cold open, there’s a woman who has car trouble and is stopped on the side of the highway, a guy stops to help her. He then proceeds to beat her to death with a monkey wrench. That haunted me for a long time.

fake edit: found the clip, it’s extremely tame now but :lol: at the abrupt shift from the end of the grisly bludgeoning scene to the jazzy opening credits theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfBa4F9gk4

sticksy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 1, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Imagine if the kid version of you knew the real horrors that movie was hiding at the time.

Well sure but even so I didn't SEE those things happening

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

sticksy posted:

One time when we had a babysitter, she let me watch an episode of “The Commish” and in the cold open, there’s a woman who has car trouble and is stopped on the side of the highway, a guy stops to help her. He then proceeds to beat her to death with a monkey wrench. That haunted me for a long time.

fake edit: found the clip, it’s extremely tame now but :lol: at the abrupt shift from the end of the grisly bludgeoning scene to the jazzy opening credits theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfBa4F9gk4

You just made me remember the episode where Ray Walston plays an amateur astronomer, gets mistaken for a witch, and some rear end in a top hat neighborhood kids kill his cat. That was traumatizing.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Oliver (the one with Oliver Reed)

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ChickenHeart posted:

gently caress you, babysitter who allowed me to watch Killer Klowns From Outer Space when I was 6

ugh, that human puppet scene

As a kid this movie was unsettling. The knock your block off scene where a clown punches a guy’s head off stuck with me for a long time for some reason. Others include the Achilles tendon slicing from Pet Sematary, the chest burster from Spaceballs, and the dolls come to life and kill a sheriff from the Tommyknockers.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

kid sinister posted:

Large. Marge.

She done finally caught up with PeeWee today!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The Tim Burton Sleepy Hollow was pretty scary to me as a kid. The witch, the corpse filled tree and the scene where the horseman kills an entire family including a kid.

I remember the witch scare being very similar to Large Marge funnily enough.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 1, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GundamHealer posted:

Fire in the Sky

Dad introduced that one to me as "your mom knows the guy this happened to, but nobody really believes it." Did not make it less scary

Watched Willow with my then 7-year old last year. He loved it, and was only scared of one part of it. Not the dragon, giant murderous dogs, witch or scary skull helmet guy. He was terrified of the trolls, the least convincing special effect in the movie. They look like guys in shaggy gorilla suits.

I first saw Return To Oz as an adult, but I was absolutely terrified of the flying monkeys from Wizard of Oz.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I saw part of one movie in the 80's or early 90's where one guy holds someone down and vomits a sort of alien squid into another person's mouth, and then that person was possesed by it. No idea what the name of it was though.

edit: Oh I remember one that hosed me up pretty good, great sound design too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3Ix6GaC48&t=9s

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 1, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Zero VGS posted:

I saw part of one movie in the 80's or early 90's where one guy holds someone down and vomits a sort of alien squid into another person's mouth, and then that person was possesed by it. No idea what the name of it was though.

Prince of Darkness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNyeRf0oFI

This scene was another one I hated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF1JdtZG9CQ

temple fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 1, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

Prince of Darkness.

It was the same concept as that but I'm certain it was two guys and a much meatier squid thing with very long tentacles. Maybe it was some made-for-tv ripoff of this.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The biggest one has to be the nuclear blast in Terminator 2. That hosed me up. I remember thinking "August 29th, 1997 - I'll be 14, so old enough to die".

I was "lucky" enough to catch GhostWatch when it first aired. I was media savvy enough to know the ScreenOne branding made it a play, but I started to wonder as it progressed and had non-actor celebrities in the main roles. I needed to stay up to make sure that an Evil spirit hadn't been released into the TV network. I think its a great piece of work now, a horror classic.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
My Girl Scout troop went to see Ring of Fire in the Omni theater in Philly. I had a horrible fear of heights as a kid (still don’t love ‘em and I hate flying). The theater itself freaked me out because it was so huge and I was afraid I’d fall down the seats. Before the movie even started, they played an aerial tour of the city. I started hyperventilating and had to switch seats to be next to my mom.

Then the movie itself started, and my absolute phobia of natural disasters was cemented forever. It didn’t help that that same year, my elementary school got a laserdisc player and one of the discs had extensive footage of tornadoes, which I had to watch like ten times because my classmates thought it was cool. I still have occasional nightmares about tornadoes.

I doubt I’ll ever be able to live anywhere outside the northeast US, because we only get the occasional blizzard and usually muted hurricanes ( though Sandy and Floyd were awful).

I was terrified when I went to California in 2007 to visit a friend because of earthquakes (I calmed down and had a great time).

One thing that really effed me up was an episode from the tv series Tales From The Darkside. My parents were ridiculously liberal in what they let my brothers and I watch as kids, so we regularly watched the show. There’s an episode in which a young lady goes to live in an apartment belonging to one of her teachers or something, and there’s a tiny closet in her bedroom that strongly resembles the entrance to the storage areas in my childhood home (which I was already afraid of). The girl is eventually killed by a horrific monster that I guess was the professor’s malformed daughter? Cue nightmares for years.

I looked it up a few years ago and the theme song still sends me into absolute dread, and I looked up the puppet they used for the freaky daughter/monster and I was still scared of it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The earliest moment I can ever recall being terrified by a movie was being a wee lad in the early ‘80s watching Time Bandits. R-R-R-R-RETURN WHAT YOU HAVE STOLEN FROM ME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut23WARAm7A

Now I love Tony Jay’s voice and Terry Gilliam’s animation in that sequence so much, but goddamn was that frightening to young Elf. I was afraid to look out my window for fear of a giant disembodied head shrouded in fog looking right at me.

Ars Arcanum posted:

One thing that really effed me up was an episode from the tv series Tales From The Darkside. My parents were ridiculously liberal in what they let my brothers and I watch as kids, so we regularly watched the show. There’s an episode in which a young lady goes to live in an apartment belonging to one of her teachers or something, and there’s a tiny closet in her bedroom that strongly resembles the entrance to the storage areas in my childhood home (which I was already afraid of). The girl is eventually killed by a horrific monster that I guess was the professor’s malformed daughter? Cue nightmares for years.

I looked it up a few years ago and the theme song still sends me into absolute dread, and I looked up the puppet they used for the freaky daughter/monster and I was still scared of it.

I remember that episode! The daughter creature looked like some malformed humanoid centipede or something.

The OG Unsolved Mysteries theme song still sends shivers down my spine to this day, especially the change at 0:55 where the organ kicks in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8

Also, this commercial for Time-Life’s Mysteries of the Unknown used to make me feel real uneasy for the same reason as Tales From the Darkside and Unsolved Mysteries: the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zBYh2PUyk

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If we're talking title sequences, the opening of the ITV series Chocky always freaked me out, especially the scream at the start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEICZux9Jg

Pretty good show though! Based on a book by the almighty John Wyndham.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Zero VGS posted:

It was the same concept as that but I'm certain it was two guys and a much meatier squid thing with very long tentacles. Maybe it was some made-for-tv ripoff of this.

The Hidden

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093185/reference/

Good movie.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The thief, his wife, her lover and the cook. Just the memory of the scene where the lover gets force-fed buttons still gives me the heebie jeebies. Cinematography was killer though from what I remember. I saw it when I was 10 or 11.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
I've been on a healing path and meditating 3-7 hours a day, every day for years. I've gotten exceptionally good at driving deeper and deeper down into my conciousness. Let me tell you, pretty much everything negative gets stuck inside you until you learn how to release it and the trauma from movies, especially ones you watched too young is very very real and affects you every second of your life. It's not just being scared of the dark, it's really being scared of being alive, living your life to the fullest.

To answer your question, I saw JAWS on vacation at cape cod in the drive in when I was real young, like 4 maybe? Consciously I don't remember it affecting me that much. Wasn't afraid of swimming or anything.

But it's come up over and over again in my meditation. That and POLTERGEIST.

If you have kids, don't force em to watch anything. Even "kids movies" can have really dark themes. Stick to stuff without bad guys until they are a lot older.

I should add: books, video games and music really didn't come up at all in my meditation (except a little resident evil video games). They seem way safer although video games have changed alot since I"ve played em....

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 2, 2023

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Dick Jones posted:

Amazing Stories on NBC. The one where the guy discovers a liquid that turns the subject of a photo into a real life being. He pours some on a lingerie magazine but keeps getting the amount wrong which results in bizarre incomplete mutant women, including a giantess and a freaky wraith woman. They all say the same thing when they appear in the flesh: "Kiss me and I'm yours forever" and if he doesn't kiss them, they revert back to goo in a painful melting process.

Ha, there was an episode of Amazing Stories called MIRROR MIRROR that scared the crap out of me.

"A horror novelist finds himself being terrorised by a mysterious hooded figure in his bathroom mirror."

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
There was an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode where these kids went into some kinda toyland and there were bad guys with no faces. But I remember the last shot was of a guy with no face on the TV and the kids were hosed and stuck there or something. I was afraid of my TV after that.

And it wasnt a movie or TV show but I was really afraid of Bloody Mary and was still afraid of mirrors at night long after I knew the story wasn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

There was an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode where these kids went into some kinda toyland and there were bad guys with no faces. But I remember the last shot was of a guy with no face on the TV and the kids were hosed and stuck there or something. I was afraid of my TV after that.

And it wasnt a movie or TV show but I was really afraid of Bloody Mary and was still afraid of mirrors at night long after I knew the story wasn't true.

It wasn't bad guys, it turned out that the sister was adopted and was an alien. The toy company was a ruse by the alien kid's parents when they came back to Earth to get the alien kid back. They had hidden their ship in the 13th floor and disguised it as a toy company so they could get the kid used to the mix of gases they breathe on their home planet. The brother kept getting dumber while the alien girl got smarter as they shifted the gas mix.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 2, 2023