Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
For me I have three:

Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask - I had the VHS and we didn’t own many other VHS tapes. I think it hit me so hard because it has this ethereal dream like vibe. The kind of dream anxiety we’re you can’t run, or call for help, or punch, etc. The feeling of helplessness. Plus the mask itself was scary as hell looking. They must have seen this and decided to tone down the rest of the series because it is genuinely disturbing. gently caress you The Haunted Mask.

The Pool Episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark - gently caress water, gently caress that pool, gently caress invisible bogey men, gently caress that guy after they splash it with chemicals and it looks horrifying, and gently caress this episode of tv. Rated Y7? What the gently caress were they smoking? That episode is not for children.

The Sixth Sense - In particular the girl under blankets or bed or whatever it was where she starts vomiting. I would check places in the house to make sure she wasn’t hiding and lurking. I basically had a panic attack every time I needed to open the shower curtain. It went on for weeks. gently caress you too Bruce Willis.

Even as a grown adult my body simply rejects them. Im not watching that poo poo. I don’t care how much time has passed and how much other horror content I’ve become desensitized with. Nope. Simply no. I’m not going to ever watch them.

EDIT: honorable mention to Homeward Bound when the dog falls in the hole

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
your posts OP

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Fire in the Sky

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I saw Pet Sematary when I was way too young. The scene where Gage's coffin lid briefly lifts open hit me hard. The 90's version of the Night of the Living Dead and Muppet Christmas Carol also came out around the same time my grandma died so that was a weird mix of input for a five-year old.

I also had trouble with Silver Bullet at the scene where that kid got "TORN APART!" However, that movie did lift my spirits shortly thereafter with Gary Busey and the ultimate in 90's handicapable representation:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Amazing Stories on NBC. The one where the guy discovers a liquid that turns the subject of a photo into a real life being. He pours some on a lingerie magazine but keeps getting the amount wrong which results in bizarre incomplete mutant women, including a giantess and a freaky wraith woman. They all say the same thing when they appear in the flesh: "Kiss me and I'm yours forever" and if he doesn't kiss them, they revert back to goo in a painful melting process.

The Seeds of Doom storyline from the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who. An aggressive plant hivemind species called the Crinoids? that can whip their vines out and infect you, causing you to slowly lose your identity and become one of their shambling plant minions. It had the creepy apocalyptic feel of The Thing and Last of Us, just without the splattery gore or the multi-million dollar budget.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That one ghoulies sequel or ripoff when the teens were making out and got gooed together and had to walk out like that.

Someone knows what I'm talkin bout

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

The shoe in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If movies were the only childhood trauma you experienced then congratulations, I guess?

I saw Time Bandits in the theaters when it first came out and I found it baffling and disturbing, because I was 10. Once I was old enough to understand it I realized it's great, but that first time was a bit unsettling. "Mom, Dad, don't touch it - it's evil!"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

If you're over 40 and you don't say Watership Down you are a loving liar

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grem posted:

If you're over 40 and you don't say Watership Down you are a loving liar

I'd already read the book, so :shrug:

By that token The Rats of NIMH I do remember being a bit unsettling, though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If movies were the only childhood trauma you experienced then congratulations, I guess?

Uh

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
The Land Before Time :colbert:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bambi probably idk

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's a comment on the casual use of "severe childhood trauma" in the thread title, if that helps clear things up.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I saw Donnie Darko when I was like 8 and it confused me and creeped me the gently caress out.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
feed me seymour...

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Mars Attacks, specifically the skeleton guns. Despite the stellar cast, I was way, way too young for that mix of comedy and violence had nightmares for years afterwards. My mom did a great job parenting but taking me to a showing at 8 of that was maybe not the best call.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I loved the movie as a kid and still do but I could NOT watch the scene where Geena Davis rips her face off in Beetlejuice. I would run upstairs and cover my ears cause it was so freaky.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a comment on the casual use of "severe childhood trauma" in the thread title, if that helps clear things up.

Um

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Kingpin landlady

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Velociraptors from original Jurassic park hosed me up for a bit.

Also, I watched Event Horizon when it came out on VHS with my older sister and seeing the hero from JP rip his eyes out and be super evil was def a mind gently caress for younger me.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Barbarella.

I was like 5 yo. The biting dolls came to me in my dreams.

The Elephant Man.

Never actually saw it. My imagination did the rest.

:(

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The little troll in Stephen King’s Cat’s Eye. Sometimes I would be afraid to fall asleep for fear that it would be in my room waiting to steal my breath.

The dead construction worker in The Gate. I was just waiting for the moment his corpse would fall out of my wall.

The 1988 Blob. Saw it in theaters new and it just completely hosed me up because all bets were off as to who could die, including the kid in the sewers.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 29, 2023

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

A CRAB IRL posted:

Came to post this. Those animators were sadists.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The scene in the original IT where he kills Georgie and then later It folds the teen in half and sucks him into the sewer pipe. Also the lady in the tub scene in The Shining had me scared of closed shower curtains for over a decade.

My Girl actually made me remember trauma. My mom had died a year or two before I saw My Girl and the glasses scene in the movie was pretty much how I felt when my aunt forced me to look at my mom's body. The nurses had left her glasses on the bedside table, probably to make her look more asleep, but it just made me realize she'd never need them again and that hosed me up good for a while.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I remember a movie where a man pulls his blood stump if a have through his handcuff. He later is gutshot and dies in a hole to then be resurrected. I've never found the title of this movie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I knew I was a horror fan from the start, so films never got me even if gory or such.
I remember when 8 or 9 watching From Beyond, where the guy gets skeletonized, and thought it was great effects.

Real life stuff though did, especially this one.
Early 80s, I am not sure if this was documentary or a film.
It was a Native American, not sure if present day or past, going through a tribal endurance test.
And the test was cutting his own chest and piercing his own nipples and tying string to them.
Sounds like a BDSM video sure, but it was more artful than gory or such.
What freaked me out was why you would do such a thing to yourself.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 29, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

ok its not a contest, just a silly hyperbole

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I watched Schindler's List when I was around 10 years old and I cried because I couldn't understand how people could be so cruel to one another. After the Nazis execute the one armed man for being unable to shovel, I couldn't watch anymore.

My dad made fun of me for crying and still does by saying "I am an essential worker!" every so often and laughing. This has been going on for 20+ years.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

The Good Son with Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood. Evil Macaulay throws a huge rock off an overpass and causes a massive pileup, and then he blames it all on Mr. Frodo. I was like eight and remember feeling the terror of suddenly being trapped in something so much bigger and more serious than anything a kid is capable of processing. Like, in one second your life is irreparably changed and you can never go back.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
My father allowed me to hire "Dawn of the dead" (Romero) back when i was 9. Gave me reoccurring nightmares for at least a decade.

I was in a house and zombies were coming for me, i could not escape because i could not find my car keys. Hilariously the dream eventually updated to be "I cant escape because i cant find my hard drive" at some point.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The Last Unicorn (I am 45+ years old)

GundamHealer posted:

Fire in the Sky

this as well gently caress that movie aliens noooooo

mst4k fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 29, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Mars Attacks legit gave me weird nightmares as a kid.

Specifically, a nightmare about a shadow puppet show about Aesops fables, interrupted by a silhouette of a Martian showing up and vaporizing the animals into skeletons as they screamed. Then, I too became a silhouette on a two-dimensional plane. I tried to get away, but they caught up and skeletalized me too.

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY JOURNEYMAN SIGSMITH Dick Fontaine

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A CRAB IRL posted:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

You Are A Elf posted:

The little troll in Stephen King’s Cat’s Eye. Sometimes I would be afraid to fall asleep for fear that it would be in my room waiting to steal my breath.

AHHHH! I hated that thing too!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The chest burster is inside me

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
mars attacks. I was terrified of aliens invading for a long time because of it and would have vivid nightmares about it

I was also scared of being eaten alive because of fern gully and men in black. for a long time I was scared of songs with "na na" sections because of fern gully, because my little dumb idiot brain associated the scene where they all party on the cassette with tone loc lizard trying to eat them

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd already read the book, so :shrug:

By that token The Rats of NIMH I do remember being a bit unsettling, though.

I was just thinking that! Secret of NIMH goes pretty hard on the drowning scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Grammarchist posted:

I also had trouble with Silver Bullet at the scene where that kid got "TORN APART!" However, that movie did lift my spirits shortly thereafter with Gary Busey and the ultimate in 90's handicapable representation:

Penultimate maybe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt131v9gMF8