Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine running into a "story problem" in a series where you can have people randomly eaten by dragons, stepped on by a giant, or have a wizard do it, whatever "it" even is.

You think Tolkien agonized for years about the eagles? No, there are eagles now, gently caress you. Orcs too strong? Ghosts! Gandalf too dead? Welcome Gandalf 2.0

Tolkien is a terrible example to pick for this because he absolutely agonized for years over drat near every aspect of his stories, and rewrote huge sections multiple times before getting to where he was comfortable submitting them for publishing. Most of his writings he never actually got to that point at all, and his notes and different versions were organized into something vaguely coherent and published posthumously by his son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Tolkien is a terrible example to pick for this because he absolutely agonized for years over drat near every aspect of his stories, and rewrote huge sections multiple times before getting to where he was comfortable submitting them for publishing. Most of his writings he never actually got to that point at all, and his notes and different versions were organized into something vaguely coherent and published posthumously by his son.

Nah, he mostly just wrote whatever.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Uz0LMbWpI

mycatscrimes posted:

I imagine when you've set up a world where any outlandish thing can happen, the challenge is less thinking of a way to solve a problem, and more finding the solution that will actually feel satisfying.

Just write the first thing that works and then tell everybody you actually found it very satisfying and thematically resonant / heavy with symbolism.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Aug 1, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I imagine when you've set up a world where any outlandish thing can happen, the challenge is less thinking of a way to solve a problem, and more finding the solution that will actually feel satisfying.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine running into a "story problem" in a series where you can have people randomly eaten by dragons, stepped on by a giant, or have a wizard do it, whatever "it" even is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

An important issue here is that Tolkien only split viewpoints into two parties, three if you count Frodo-and-Sam. He didn't have to deal with "What was Arwen doing all the time while Aragorn was doing stuff?"* The answer is that Tolkien doesn't care and it's not in the book. Furthermore, he's working in third-person omniscient, where, within each party, the narrator knows all. GRRM, by contrast, has a million billion viewpoint characters, with chapters written from each of their viewpoints, so he's working in close-third person, where the narration only knows what the current viewpoint character knows. As a result, GRRM has to keep track of where each drat character is and what they're doing during the times when they're not the viewpoint character.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What they said. It's been an open secret for decades that The Silmarillion was written by Guy Gavriel Kay, gluing together chunks of real Tolkien with the narrative necessary to make a coherent whole. Otherwise the surviving notes and fragments are not consistent with one another. Tolkien was fascinated by his languages and characters, and was happy to just focus on those.

* Singing, probably.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I wish I could find the tweet, but when my friend Lane found this out, she said "YOU MEAN TO TELL ME DAVE STRIDER IS THE BLUEPRINT FOR GOD'S PERFECT LESBIAN?!"

Hahahah, I introduced someone who was a Homestuck fan to the series a while back and their reactions were considerably along these lines. They also liked the book, so I'm not sure if the Homestuck adjacency helped or hurt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The one modern-world joke that peeved me a lot was "none pizza with left beef". It didn't make any sense in-fiction. I have a really hard time seeing anything inspired by Dave in Gideon; would you care to expand?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thank you all for the explanations I decided to go back into my coffin bye

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

“Sir, a second Barbie Fabulous Dreamliner Jumbo Jet (tm) has hit the World Trade Center.”

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kuros posted:

“Sir, a second Barbie Fabulous Dreamliner Jumbo Jet (tm) has hit the World Trade Center.”

Crash Test Dummies (the toy-line , not the band) crossover opportunity

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The original big time gap was before A Dance With Dragons. It was caused by a writing roadblock called the "Meereenese Knot" which you can google if you care that much. Apparently he's still stuck in it; as you say, he's written himself into a corner and can't get out of it.

I suspect it's most like The Last Dangerous Visions, where Harlan Ellison was sure that eventually he'd fix the problem but also couldn't bear to think about it. Many of the authors whose stories Ellison accepted died before publication. Since Ellison's death, another publisher has taken over and says the stories will be out Fall 2024.

George R. R. Martin posted:

The 1978 volume of my own 'New Voices/Campbell Awards' anthology series will probably be published some time in 1985, so I don't think I'm the person to make pronouncements, stern or otherwise, about the lateness of TLDV. I know all too vividly how easily and how badly these things can get out of hand. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that the lengthy delay of TLDV has been a tragedy--a tragedy for readers like myself who have been looking forward to the book, a tragedy for the field that badly needs a shot of the sort of literary adrenaline the previous DV volumes have supplied, a particular tragedy for the writers involved, and especially a tragedy for Harlan himself. I can only hope that, somehow or other, this tragedy will turn out to have a happy ending. Despite everything, you know, I'd still like to read the book, and so would a lot of other people.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The one modern-world joke that peeved me a lot was "none pizza with left beef". It didn't make any sense in-fiction.

It does because God / Jod is a loving dork from our timeline and he thinks it's funny to shoehorn in meme references that literally only he and maybe his original cohort will get.

Also I wish I could find the one image that explains the Dave Strider / Gideon Nav crossover but alas it's lost to time

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

Nah, he mostly just wrote whatever.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Uz0LMbWpI

Just write the first thing that works and then tell everybody you actually found it very satisfying and thematically resonant / heavy with symbolism.

1 weird trick creative writing professors don't want you to know!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I’m in a discord with some older sci fi authors and these dudes (many of them award winners themselves) seem to hold Tamsyn Muir in a special place of contempt. Not from a politics angle—they’re all generally boring libs—but just from the perspective of craft they are astonished at the work, comparing it to the stuff you find while cleaning under your fridge. I haven’t read any but nothing I’ve read about it from fans or haters makes it sound like it’s For Me. It’s just funny how much ire they have for the product.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The original big time gap was before A Dance With Dragons. It was caused by a writing roadblock called the "Meereenese Knot" which you can google if you care that much. Apparently he's still stuck in it; as you say, he's written himself into a corner and can't get out of it.

I suspect it's most like The Last Dangerous Visions, where Harlan Ellison was sure that eventually he'd fix the problem but also couldn't bear to think about it. Many of the authors whose stories Ellison accepted died before publication. Since Ellison's death, another publisher has taken over and says the stories will be out Fall 2024.

my GRRM-related anecdote is that I met him at a book signing around the time season 1 premiered and he asked me whether I enjoyed the show and I said naw I'll watch after you finish the book and he looked at me like i was stupid

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

selec posted:

I’m in a discord with some older sci fi authors and these dudes (many of them award winners themselves) seem to hold Tamsyn Muir in a special place of contempt. Not from a politics angle—they’re all generally boring libs—but just from the perspective of craft they are astonished at the work, comparing it to the stuff you find while cleaning under your fridge. I haven’t read any but nothing I’ve read about it from fans or haters makes it sound like it’s For Me. It’s just funny how much ire they have for the product.

lmao, that's hilarious. I think she's genuinely gifted author, both on the level of her ideas and on the level of executing some stuff in really interesting ways, writing-wise and presentation-wise.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, that's hilarious. I think she's genuinely gifted author, both on the level of her ideas and on the level of executing some stuff in really interesting ways, writing-wise and presentation-wise.

Yeah, seriously. I assume they're just mad because she's popular and she has referenced memes in her work and still managed to make something that is genuinely affecting, mentally and emotionally.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
I found the first few pages of Gideon the Ninth online and in my opinion I'm not telling you my opinion. Everyone should read those books they get something out of

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Guy Gavriel Kay's head got so deep into Tolkien he had to write the Fionavar Tapestry before he could write anything else.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

I half agree about the first bit, but then that certainly goes places. Though I'm mostly just bitter about how ridiculously poorly run California is. Rather than implementing anything useful they focus on dumb stuff like bans on flavored nicotine, but because they have neo-lib brain rot instead of actually just banning unicorn fart cotton candy vape juice, they wasted money on an awareness campaigns and advertising for a voter initiative to ban flavored vape juice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hawowanlawow posted:

my BIL's baby mama really has passive aggressive vagueposting down to a science

"So thankful that God gives me strength and patience" = "I wanted to talk some poo poo about my husband and kids on Facebook"

the great combination of two of the most potent brain poisons: church and social media

“Bless her heart.”

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
A classic:
https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1506326400336384003

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Whats going on here i am old

Those Highlights Spot the Difference puzzles were a real enigma to you huh?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I represent cig companies while complying about neo libs

Girl you are the neo lib

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CharlestheHammer posted:

I represent cig companies while complying about neo libs

Girl you are the neo lib

Hey they might be a free market ghoul that believes the government shouldn't interfere at all! A completely different kind of wrong and evil.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

wtf how'd she do that

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, same. On first glance her books may feel like they maybe should just be meme-y drivel, but at its core there is a lot of heartfelt sincerity that resonates with a lot of people. Those jokes and references aren't just a lazy device to inject levity, but rather just a natural expression of characters who are otherwise still genuinely affected by what's happening to them.

The fact that "traditional" authors apparently get big mad over it is just :discourse:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Clerical Terrors posted:

wtf how'd she do that

must be AI generated!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Deptfordx posted:

Guy Gavriel Kay's head got so deep into Tolkien he had to write the Fionavar Tapestry before he could write anything else.

I'm glad he got it out of his system, because I really like everything else he's ever done but that trilogy stunk on ice.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let me tell you about this incredible piece of technology: it's called a comb.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

When you're in a "have poor media literacy" competition and your competition is a Snyderbro.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
https://twitter.com/ZubyMusic/status/1686134600907583490?t=I9KdjTno1oc9GWRy8Gv64w&s=19

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ah, the two genders.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Ideas so popular you have to fly 4,000 miles away to find women to agree with them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
A news article, but one about an idiot on social media

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BioEnchanted posted:

Steven Universe was great for that. The audience figured out many of the twists because of all the foreshadowing in the early episodes and were allowed to just be right, and it helped the storytelling immeasurably because the siller early episodes were given new meaning in retrospect.
I know I'm late to the "why would authors be upset people guessed the story's direction" conversation but isn't that the entire point of foreshadowing? I know a lot of people applaud subtle foreshadowing that's like, ooh I didn't even realize that meant something but now that the story is over I can look back and see that the seeds were planted early! But being able to detect and interpret foreshadowing is a part of media literacy, if you put it in your story, however subtle, some people are going to pick up on it. That's fine! That's what foreshadowing is!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think the sort of writers who get upset about people "guessing" the twist are also the sort of people who think they're EXTREMELY clever about not revealing it and EXTREMELY convinced it's going to shock everyone when they find out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also I doubt this is true of Game of thrones because their really isn’t any big twists. There are some mysteries but nothing that getting spoiled would change anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
I vaguely remember the writer of The Magnus Archives podcast (horror-mystery) talking about checking in on Reddit boards and feeling like he had done his job properly if at least a certain percentage of people were correctly calling out what clues and evidence were leading up to. If nobody was getting it, it meant he needed to layout the groundwork better.