Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How often do you need to move this thing anyway? Hand cart would be easy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Maybe just a hoist so you can lift it out of the way when you aren't using it. Crane might be overkill

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The wheels turn the drill press into a hand cart.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah but if you put wheels on it you don't have an excuse to buy a new hand truck.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

But if I buy a hand truck I don't have an excuse to build this thing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Then the solution is obvious. Buy a hand truck and weld the frame to the drill press base.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It's cast iron, so no welding allowed. I'm going to make a plate to sandwich between the drill press base and the column flange.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

deimos posted:

Why not make a base and give it four wheels? Can do the ones with levelers for extra sturdiness.

It's this. The wider you make the base, the less you have to worry about top-heavy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guyver posted:

Everything is expensive now. The $80 (800lbs) one is the middle price one they have cheaper ones at $60 and the better ones at $110.

I think HD has a 250lbs hand truck for $50 but once you have one you tend to use it for everything.

I know!

At least I only paid 30€ for this one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/uEtUoq4HwcY?feature=share

ngl that cooler looks pretty sick

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I picked up a 6", 1/4 hp baldor bench grinder/buffer for cheap a while back. It's nice, works a treat, in perfect shape. I don't know how old it is, but it looks completely unused.

I want a belt sander. Specifically, a combo bench grinder/belt sander. But I can't find a decent bolt-on kit for less than the cost of buying the tool outright. I'm thinking of just selling the baldor grinder and getting a combo sander/grinder so I don't have 2 tools. Good idea? Bad idea? What would you do?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I would not try to combine two simple reliable relatively inexpensive tools into one tool that is mediocre or worse at both functions unless I was completely strapped for space.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

1/4 hp isn't enough to run a worthwhile belt sander. Multitool is the brand you are looking for if you want a conversion, but your money is better spent watching craigslist for a belt/disc combo.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Aha! A tool I need that I didn't know existed. (Not even a theoretical need, but something I'm planning to do next week!)

This is how aircraft builders countersink rivets with precise centering and depth: Micro-stop and countersink.

This is for 120 degree countersinks, so the bit is not strongly self-centering (not very pointy).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
go go go

BeAuMaN posted:

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:
WAKE UP! BEEBOX 2.0! Ryobi 8-tool HP Brushless set for $149
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...108K2/319654474
GO GO GO
:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren::frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Source: https://slickdeals.net/f/16828955-r...ger-and-bag-149

Last time shipping worked the best for beebox.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 31, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BeAuMaN posted:

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
go go go

Lmao they messed up so bad on this one that they deleted the listing entirely.

Edit: There never was an 8 piece combo only Ryobi One+ toolset and we were always at war with Lowes and not Ace Hardware.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bondematt posted:

Lmao they messed up so bad on this one that they deleted the listing entirely.

Edit: There never was an 8 piece combo only Ryobi One+ toolset and we were always at war with Lowes and not Ace Hardware.
Yeah the listing is back, still OOS. We'll see if it ships.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I'm replacing the motor on an old table saw. I've got the new motor wired, got a half-baked mounting adapter, and I got the pulley off the old motor no problem. Now I'm running into trouble putting the motor on the new motor shaft.

The new motor has a small ding in the shaft that the pulley gets stuck on. It's a small spot, maybe 3-4 mm distorted area and a few thou in height. My first inclination is to carefully hit that area with a file as I spin the shaft by hand, but I'm worried about marring the shaft even worse. Is this sane/reasonable? Is there a better way to handle this?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Fine single-cut file or a stone is the way to go, yeah. Just go slow, ideally if you sorta drawfile over the bruise using the good diameter to guide on each side while slowly turning it over by hand, should be able to just target the high spot while barely touching anything else. Blue it up with a sharpie if needed to see what's going on, check fit often, yadda yadda

e: you can get practice at this by spinning some drill bit shanks in a slipping chuck and having to put them back into a close-fitting index

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 1, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Lathespin.gif posted:

Fine single-cut file or a stone is the way to go, yeah. Just go slow, ideally if you sorta drawfile over the bruise using the good diameter to guide on each side while slowly turning it over by hand, should be able to just target the high spot while barely touching anything else. Blue it up with a sharpie if needed to see what's going on, check fit often, yadda yadda

Thanks for the tips. Also, what are the ideal ways to fit a pulley onto a keyed shaft? This pulley came off the previous motor's shaft without much fuss, but on this one, it's either a tight press fit or an interference fit. Should it be an easy fit that relies on the set screw to hold it together? Or is it supposed to take an arbor press? What about a heatshrink fit?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Just speaking generically I wouldn't say you want an easy fit for keyed shafts exactly, but likely not arbor press time either? Especially if you can't brace on the far end of the shaft instead of the motor case, bearings might get sad. Something like a half thou undersize is probably good, depending on diameters and what the system is- a drill press drive pulley mounted with a few thou runout is nbd, in a gearbox eeeh. Can you mike both shafts, see what the difference is?

Fit it without the key first, scrub the bore out real good with steel wool and wd/atf, etc too. Once the bruising is relieved a quick spin of emery on the shaft, maybe 320grit or so. Don't wrap it around your fingers. Stone off any bad edges or corners. Clean both to spotless before test fitting, grit or grime in the interface will bite you. Once you have a doable fit, match a key- the width especially should be bang on snug as hell both sides, some clearance on top is ok and good if setscrews bite it.

Either heating the pulley or cooling the shaft is an option, but they normalize quick once they touch and you gotta work fast, probably not needed unless you're looking for perfect runout on a spindle or something? For smaller diameters especially it's hard to get enough differential to make up for needing to handle the parts while spicy. It's a good trick though, aluminum grows/shrinks twice what steel does, liquid nitrogen and induction heating are neat, and once you're talking 1" or more instead of say, 3/8" bust out a toaster oven

e: ideally the end of the motor shaft is tapped and you can run a greased grade 8 bolt and spacers to suck it home, if it's snug but not oversize :thunk:

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 1, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
^Great advice!

Don't underestimate how well the freezer/toaster oven trick works but cleaning everything should be the first thing. Surface rust is usually the problem on a tight fitting keyed shaft from my limited experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

Snorkel TL39 Partially Restored Man Lift ; Tow behind. 4 new batteries. New control box. New wiring harness. A few other new parts. Needs to be completed. Selling as is.

What could possibly go wrong? Wish me luck.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I will pray for your success at auction and that it brings us a plentiful bounty of posts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That is a lot of trust in exactly 1 strip of tape. The only thing not pictured that was in this box is the packing slip. They were just rolling around in there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

That is a lot of trust in exactly 1 strip of tape. The only thing not pictured that was in this box is the packing slip. They were just rolling around in there.

DTO is definitely 'you get what you pay for' levels of shipping.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The pole saw I ordered show up in one of the nicest boxes I've ever seen - double layer corrugated. But they just tossed the product box inside of that with no packing material. I'm pretty sure they would be better off putting a sticker on the manufacturer's box.

Auction result: someone bid that broken thing that is missing parts up to $8500. That's just way too much for an inoperable thing that pretty obviously was on fire at some point.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Can I use a benchtop belt sander to sharpen mower blades and chisels, or does that need a specialized sander or a belt grinder? I know nothing about this since I've never had room for much in my workshop, and a few google searches revealed all these DIY plans and conversion kits, so I feel like I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole. If it costs more than $150 I'll just keep badly sharpening things by hand.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slanderer posted:

Can I use a benchtop belt sander to sharpen mower blades and chisels, or does that need a specialized sander or a belt grinder? I know nothing about this since I've never had room for much in my workshop, and a few google searches revealed all these DIY plans and conversion kits, so I feel like I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole. If it costs more than $150 I'll just keep badly sharpening things by hand.

Mower blade, sure.
Chisels you care about? Do it the slow way

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Motronic posted:

Dang, 9k-ish after auction premium. That seems high for a non-working lift but I'm always surprised what these go for. Did you prevail?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Skid loaders, lifts, and guns always seem to go really high at auction, sometimes more than they cost if you went and bought one new.

Bolt that lift on an old Ford truck and it's worth less than scrap value all of a sudden.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Motronic posted:

The pole saw I ordered show up in one of the nicest boxes I've ever seen - double layer corrugated. But they just tossed the product box inside of that with no packing material. I'm pretty sure they would be better off putting a sticker on the manufacturer's box.

Interesting; they did exactly what you suggested re: slap a label on the product box for mine, and boy howdy did it not work well. FedEx had to break out the “contain in load bearing acetate tape” as the bottom of the box looked like a blunderbuss blew it out.

Everything works and nothing fell out, so all’s well that ends with chainsaws.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is so true. Like... I've spoken on this before but DTO ships directly from the huge Techtronic distribution facility back east. Many football fields size warehouse/whatever, with some assembly iirc (I think they assemble their mowers or something in the US). Anyhow, I always get the feeling that DTO was this side project to move more merchandise, and grew much larger than it was supposed to. However, instead of reforming it into some decent operation, they've just added more duct tape and workers, and when they run those deep sales they just grab more people off the assembly/processing line for a few days and tell them to shove products in more boxes. Like everything about DTO feels half-assed, but drat there are some deep discounts and I can't argue with that.

Edit: also update on the aforementioned Ryobi 8-tool set home depot price mistake. OP Success

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 2, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

Dang, 9k-ish after auction premium. That seems high for a non-working lift but I'm always surprised what these go for. Did you prevail?

Hell no, that's way too much for a lift that's literally missing parts (at least one of the covers is MIA). I was willing to bid up to 3500/be at $4k-ish all in. I got in one bid and the floor bidders had it up to $6k almost immediately. Rubes.

One thing I've noticed at that auction is nobody wants tractors. Those go cheap, even nice ones. Especially full sized utility tractors. Too bad I absolutely do not need another tractor. No, not gonna do it. Won't bid on them even for funsies.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Motronic posted:

Hell no, that's way too much for a lift that's literally missing parts (at least one of the covers is MIA). I was willing to bid up to 3500/be at $4k-ish all in. I got in one bid and the floor bidders had it up to $6k almost immediately. Rubes.

One thing I've noticed at that auction is nobody wants tractors. Those go cheap, even nice ones. Especially full sized utility tractors. Too bad I absolutely do not need another tractor. No, not gonna do it. Won't bid on them even for funsies.

Yeah that seemed way too high so I figured it wasn't you.

What I wouldn't give for the pre-covid days when you could get a reasonable mini-ex.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:laffo: So it turns out my wife and I suck at communicating. Bare box with label stuck straight on. Does doing a no receipt return work at whichever store sells ryobi?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just keep them both and keep different bits in them

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Just keep them both and keep different bits in them

:mad:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And also the battery. Then sell the bare tool to one of the ryobi fanboys ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Motronic posted:

Used utility tractors in my area auction for close to 90% of current new prices. It's insane.