Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Congrats to Baltimore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress the mets and astros

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Congrats to Baltimore

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1686448735461457931

Confirmed

I have a feeling the details of this trade are ....not going to be good but I don't care!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Welcome back JV. Your locker is still warm

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boo Astros. Boo Mets. Go... Padres/Angels?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

WTF happened to Rizzo, I saw some comp today that he's actually been way worse in NY this year than Gallo ever was.

Gallo was a 78 OPS+ hitter for NYY. Rizzo this year has a 97 OPS+, albeit that's held up a lot by his torrid April and May. Rizzo is a notoriously streaky hitter who will occasionally go months without being able to hit a baseball and it's clear he's in one of those funks right now. A lot of people want to blame the chronic back issues particularly now that he's into his 30's, but I honestly think it's just Rizzo being Rizzo and there's a decent chance come August/September the pendulum will swing the other way and he'll be back to a .900 OPS guy.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

JV, Framber, France, Javier and Urquidy....good poo poo!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

JV, Framber, France, Javier and Urquidy....good poo poo!!!

That's a championship rotation right there

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1686449414620221440

Oh and they didn't trade chas thank god. Hopefully it was Forrrest Whitely.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol so are the Dodgers really just going to add Giolito and call it a day? Their rotation is absolute dogshit right now with Kershaw out.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

glad the o's didnt get verlander. not glad they have done nothing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

lol so are the Dodgers really just going to add Giolito and call it a day? Their rotation is absolute dogshit right now with Kershaw out.

Angels got Giolito. LA got Lynn.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Angels got Giolito. LA got Lynn.

Oh yeah duh. So their rotation is even worse than I thought!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zoux posted:

That's a championship rotation right there

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1686449414620221440

Oh and they didn't trade chas thank god. Hopefully it was Forrrest Whitely.

They're going to "fix" him, again, aren't they?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I am 1000% fine with this, he doesn't even need to be last year's dominant Verlander to help us out and if we get another flag who loving cares about the future

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Somehow the Mets imploded even faster than the Durant/Kyrie Nets did

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sydin posted:

I thought they were pushing to get Ed Rodriguez in a quixotic attempt to rebuild the 2018 Red Sox?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

I thought they were pushing to get Ed Rodriguez in a quixotic attempt to rebuild the 2018 Red Sox?

Apparently LAD is in his no-trade clause

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1686431335227740160?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I am 1000% fine with this, he doesn't even need to be last year's dominant Verlander to help us out and if we get another flag who loving cares about the future

He's been dealing of late.

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1686450519546482688

Not surprised it's Gilbert but also eh. OF is our deepest position in the minors and I'll take a HoF pitcher today over a guy who may or may not pan out. People melted down over the package we sent for Grienke but only one of those guys are on a MLB roster.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
gently caress

gilbert was the one I hoped was untouchable

this better be accompanied by signing Tuck

I know circumstances have changed regarding the rotation but YOU COULD HAVE HAD HIM FOR JUST MONEY, CRANE

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Supposedly the Dodgers were hot on Eduardo Rodriguez in the event that they didn't get Verlander.

Scott Harris, GET ON THE drat PHONE!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Aw man the O’s could have beaten that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gilbert is a good return

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

gently caress

I know circumstances have changed regarding the rotation but YOU COULD HAVE HAD HIM FOR JUST MONEY, CRANE

Yeah. We'll see how much of the contract the Mets are going to carry though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Aw man the O’s could have beaten that

depends on if JV was willing to waive his no trade for the O's. apparently he would only waive it for the Astros?

zoux posted:

Yeah. We'll see how much of the contract the Mets are going to carry though.

I'd rather Crane pay the extra money and keep the prospects

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Already sick of these dudes on mlb tonight talking about verlander/astros lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nodoze posted:

Somehow the Mets imploded even faster than the Durant/Kyrie Nets did

I had it on good authority that they had the New Boss and were the new Yankee Dynasty.

Actually building a big money team with no chemistry or success and then blowing it up is kind of Boss like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Padres next!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

LETS
loving
GOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Either Crane is going to have to be willing to spend like Cohen going forward or the team is going back in the tank in a couple years because hoo boy the farm is empty

I'm going to presume the Mets drew a hard line that Gilbert had to be part of the trade just to get a conversation going. If Crane gave up Gilbert just to get the Mets to send money, that's shameful

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ryan Clifford is the other prospect going to the Mets according to the mlb.tv special that I have streaming right now

e: for anyone else that wants to watch/listen https://www.mlb.com/video/live-2023-trade-deadline-special-75634

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

gently caress

Seriously, this is all one giant argument for just paying dudes what they want.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1686452029940449282

lol presumably Cohen is eating most of the contract.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blue Jays want to acquire Jack Flaherty while we're at it to keep the train rolling?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1686452728937988106

Intruder posted:

Either Crane is going to have to be willing to spend like Cohen going forward or the team is going back in the tank in a couple years because hoo boy the farm is empty

I guess, they signed all their draft picks from the last 2 years except a couple. And the cupboard was bare before, I don't think Drew Gilbert was going to be singlehandedly winning chips at any point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1686453469475913740

Hope this doesn't turn into another Randy Johnson thing

e: and Clifford is a ginger to boot? We could have had a big red dog in Houston in a few years!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess credit to the Mets at least for seeming to get decent returns on their massive disaster firesale.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

You can be mad and critical of the team all you want. But being mad about the team not making deals at the deadline to improve this team (either as buyers or sellers) when also acknowledging that those deals probably don't exist is just being mad to be mad. Its just children lashing out to make themselves feel better. Hell you mocked the ONE plausible sell deal suggested in the media.

The people running the team have shown both in the offseason and during the trade deadline for years upon years that they aren't capable of improving the team.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That’s a big, big price tag but you’re acquiring probably the best pitcher in baseball right? A guy who has already locked down one rotation and who you can count on to do it for you down the stretch?

Oh.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

That’s a big, big price tag but you’re acquiring probably the best pitcher in baseball right? A guy who has already locked down one rotation and who you can count on to do it for you down the stretch?

Oh.

JV has been extremely good since the beginning of June after struggling in May coming off an injury. I'm more worried about 2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Mets collapse is just so loving weird to me. It’s like a guy building this completely min-maxed team of all-stars in The Show or Super Mega Baseball without bothering to step back and think if it made sense as a cohesive team.