Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Electric Phantasm posted:

In the few seconds this conversation has taken Nero has already made one.

Nothing but wood, cloth, sweat, and warcrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

But will it be Defiant or Voyager?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not exactly spoiler territory but this is also where lore-heads lurk. This was spotted the other day:
https://twitter.com/balloonpresents/status/1686054242711224322

She also says "ice claim you" and uses dualcast. I haven't fought her in ages so I don't know if the actual effect of those elemental spells fits.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
If not Ixtab herself, then perhaps her Source counterpart.

This opens up an interesting can of worms about S ranks being more lore relevant than previously expected, though.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Galaxies posted:

In a surprise reference, the boss of the Lunar Subterrane dungeon will be Culex from SMRPG! They even have the right boss music too

I will accept this only if he references a certain mustachioed warrior with a red hat and a hammer that the WoL reminds him of. That, or Geno minion drop

Hell, with the SMRPG remake coming out this year, it'd be fitting!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seems unlikely they will reference a Mario game in a game that is on literally everything but Nintendo systems now but I guess you never know.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ff14 on the switch pro, for sure

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's rumored that Switch 2 is in development with a planned release date of late 2024, and some insider talk that it'll be roughly equivalent to PS4 (maybe better, maybe worse?). On the one hand, that's strong enough for Dawntrail (since they're not dropping PS4 support) but on the other hand, it might be uncertain how much longer they can keep those specs - if CBU3 is thinking of dropping PS4 for 8.0 then it'd be a little rough to put the game out for only two years on Switch 2 and deal with the fallout of ending service there, too.

But in any case, even if they're in the internal process of porting it right now, they can't really say anything until Nintendo officially announces the system.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
We already have Mario at home.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gearhead posted:

This opens up an interesting can of worms about S ranks being more lore relevant than previously expected, though.

Well, there's at least one that came up during a Role Quest. And I believe Marberry was brought up during one of the Scholar quests as well.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The only bad bit of Shadowbringers is Ran'jit kind of being a nothing character and the Eulmore crowd getting off way too light

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Ojjeorago posted:

We already have Mario at home.

How is Mario not a lala?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bobtheconqueror posted:

How is Mario not a lala?

Got a mushroom already.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Feldegast42 posted:

The only bad bit of Shadowbringers is Ran'jit kind of being a nothing character and the Eulmore crowd getting off way too light

And the Trolley portion of Amh Araeng. Semi-decent payoff but boooooooooooy was it a slog.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm not really sure what you do to the Eulmore Crowd as a greater punishment that doesn't just feel like hurting people for the sake of it. They were in utter despair, propaganda'd to hell, and being guided/ruled by a malicious man-child of a Sin Eater after living god knows how long in a hellscale where any given moment if you're not in Eulmore you are at risk of being turned into a monster or murdered. With all of that settled most of them expressed genuine regret for how they behaved.

What are you going to do? Start executing them? Imprison them? Force them into hard labor? Turn them into pariahs? None of those even fit the themes of the game before you get to the fact that the same expansion literally expects you to empathize, if not agree with, people who fell to despair and did terrible things in the wake of the apocalypse.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Well at the very least maybe they could help clean up the section of the shantytown literally called the shitpile :shobon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, part of that is that because the game takes place in a persistent online world, you can't really make big sweeping changes to an area without ruining continuity for people going through the expansion story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also it's implied they are working on it, time just passes in FFXIV time where you can build an entire housing quarter but they still haven't fixed minor damages.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The First has lousy development anyway even if being Eulmore, Crystarium, and random squatters makes sense.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, part of that is that because the game takes place in a persistent online world, you can't really make big sweeping changes to an area without ruining continuity for people going through the expansion story.

Sure you can. Look at the Tribe Quests. The areas change depending on how much you've done. Person A, just starting out, will see the area different from Person B, who has already finished. The same tech could be used for that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I legit want to see some zones phased and the Eulmore shantytown especially

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eulmore Restoration for 7.0

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Also it's implied they are working on it, time just passes in FFXIV time where you can build an entire housing quarter but they still haven't fixed minor damages.

No one will ever put out those flaming wreckage in Gyr Abania.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Sure you can. Look at the Tribe Quests. The areas change depending on how much you've done. Person A, just starting out, will see the area different from Person B, who has already finished. The same tech could be used for that.
i think they can do that because those are specific areas designed for that rather than a random questing area. im no tech wizard but

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure what you do to the Eulmore Crowd as a greater punishment that doesn't just feel like hurting people for the sake of it. They were in utter despair, propaganda'd to hell, and being guided/ruled by a malicious man-child of a Sin Eater after living god knows how long in a hellscale where any given moment if you're not in Eulmore you are at risk of being turned into a monster or murdered. With all of that settled most of them expressed genuine regret for how they behaved.

What are you going to do? Start executing them? Imprison them? Force them into hard labor? Turn them into pariahs? None of those even fit the themes of the game before you get to the fact that the same expansion literally expects you to empathize, if not agree with, people who fell to despair and did terrible things in the wake of the apocalypse.
also their food supply mind controls them. like even before hes actively making them attack you/each other some of the random eulmoran dialog/sidequests mentions people forgetting stuff iirc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

i think they can do that because those are specific areas designed for that rather than a random questing area. im no tech wizard but

Also stuff like the fountain for the moogle tribe quest is just smoke and mirrors you can fly through

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

This is probably the most frustrating thing. The MMO has to exist in a way for new and old players simultaneously, so the world is stuck in an ever-present sense of stasis.

At best, you get something like Everlasting Light disappearing as the MSQ goes on or the towers popping up from 5.4 until post-Anima(?), but things like Gatetown are there forever.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 1, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i don't think the writing needed to "punish" the people of eulmore or anything but it would've been interesting to have a version of kai-shirr's custom deliveries that focused more on eulmore generally instead of just the beehive

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

They fixed that issue pretty well in WoW by Wrath but I'm guessing its another one of those lovely engine PSX limitation things

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
late but if there's another person on the boat other than the pilot, Erenville, WoL, and Alphinaud it's probably the mysterious female voice

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Even WoW's open world phasing doesn't change the world's actual level geometry without loading you into a separate instance of the zone, and letting you switch back to the old one by talking to a quasi-canon time dragon. In general it uses the same tech concept XIV does, flipping flags on which NPCs and trivial objects are visible to who. Just more generous usage of it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gruckles posted:

Even WoW's open world phasing doesn't change the world's actual level geometry without loading you into a separate instance of the zone, and letting you switch back to the old one by talking to a quasi-canon time dragon. In general it uses the same tech concept XIV does, flipping flags on which NPCs and trivial objects are visible to who. Just more generous usage of it.

Can't wait for more suspiciously Alexander shaped floating rocks!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Hogama posted:

It's rumored that Switch 2 is in development with a planned release date of late 2024, and some insider talk that it'll be roughly equivalent to PS4 (maybe better, maybe worse?). On the one hand, that's strong enough for Dawntrail (since they're not dropping PS4 support) but on the other hand, it might be uncertain how much longer they can keep those specs - if CBU3 is thinking of dropping PS4 for 8.0 then it'd be a little rough to put the game out for only two years on Switch 2 and deal with the fallout of ending service there, too.

But in any case, even if they're in the internal process of porting it right now, they can't really say anything until Nintendo officially announces the system.

Put FFXI On Switch You Cowards™

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

They fixed that issue pretty well in WoW by Wrath but I'm guessing its another one of those lovely engine PSX limitation things
I haven't played WoW since WoD but from what I remember you actually can't interact with anyone in a different 'phase' when you're in the same zone. Like other players in a different phase of that zone don't show up when you're in that zone. Despite FF14 not being much of an open world social stuff game they might not want that limitation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I could see that being an advantage at some points. I got to Ultima Thule early enough that I barely saw a soul. Seeing dozens of other people stacked around quest givers wouldn’t have the same effect.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

XIV does have some very limited world phasing, you mostly see it with the tribe areas, where they swap in new structures as they open up. Although all the collision is there ahead of time, so it's just swapping out the look of an object/area for another.

That and special weather in ShB and EW, depending on where you are in the story (if a zone is still filled with light, or if it has a Final Days star shower).

But yeah, it would be nice if they could show bigger changes to zones over time. The Brume getting fixed up, Eulemore's shanty town getting fixed up, things like that.
Something I'd really like to see is them representing the construction of Mor Dhona and Idyllshire based on MSQ progress over time, since I never got to see them actually happening at the time. But I guess those have different collision and would require different versions of the zone, or completely re-doing the earlier phases so they share collision with the finished versions.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Bruceski posted:

Not exactly spoiler territory but this is also where lore-heads lurk. This was spotted the other day:
https://twitter.com/balloonpresents/status/1686054242711224322

She also says "ice claim you" and uses dualcast. I haven't fought her in ages so I don't know if the actual effect of those elemental spells fits.

I've been buried under work and haven't have time to raid in a bit but I think the P9 mage soul says "Ice bind you." Not exactly alike, but also close to "Earth bind you" so the point stands.

Guess somebody should go through the S-rank hunts looking for a Martialist equivalent...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing is it's very rarely worth spending resources doing things like altering past zones instead of focusing on new things, aka the Cataclysm Lesson.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

This is a very good point. That's probably the main reason Ishgard Restoration takes place in a seperate zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I could see that being an advantage at some points. I got to Ultima Thule early enough that I barely saw a soul. Seeing dozens of other people stacked around quest givers wouldn’t have the same effect.

So you're one of the ones that logged in early and stayed up for days until you finished it due to the queue times? :v: