Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Leave us alone, Verlander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also watch as my opinion on this trade massively reverses when JV gives up 5 in 2 IP in game 1 of the WS

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

First time I've seen the words "spicy heel" in a scouting report

Fangraphs posted:

Before the 2022 draft, Gilbert was written up here as a top-of-the-order catalyst, a potential 6 bat with 6 speed and table-setting skills, but 4 power. So far in pro ball, Gilbert is performing more like a do-everything player with a balanced hit and power skill set, and he moves into the Top 100 with this update. He’s gotten stronger since signing (he was already yoked) and takes a mighty rip for a 5-foot-9 guy, and while Gilbert shows some hitterish characteristics, he is less of a bat control master than just a twitchy, short-levered player who is tough to beat because of how concise his swing is. His barrel is in the zone for a long time and he tends to find a way to put the ball in play, using his strength to spray balls past infielders. He’s making roughly an average rate of contact so far in 2023 but is also hitting the ball harder than expected. When Gilbert collapses his back side and leans on one, he’ll show you big pull-side lift, and he does most of his extra-base damage by yanking doubles down the right field line.

A plus runner, Gilbert can really go get it in center field and has a great arm. His hands and ball skills aren’t the best, and there are some scouts who think he’ll be plus in a corner rather than stick in center. Gilbert plays with an edge, the kind of guy you love to have on your team but hate to play against, with his on-field persona toeing the line between “fiery” and “excessively abrasive.” He’s a spicy heel with the ability to be a well-rounded regular, and he’s already reached Corpus Christi in his first full season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

That’s a big, big price tag but you’re acquiring probably the best pitcher in baseball right? A guy who has already locked down one rotation and who you can count on to do it for you down the stretch?

Oh.

LOL He's not the best pitcher in baseball... are you high?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mets collapse is just so loving weird to me. It’s like a guy building this completely min-maxed team of all-stars in The Show or Super Mega Baseball without bothering to step back and think if it made sense as a cohesive team.

Serious question: what makes a baseball team cohesive? Of the major North American sports, baseball seems like the one where it should be easiest to plug and play a bunch of great players.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mcmagic with the WHOOOOOOOOOOSH

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It makes sense I guess. They're in a position where they're still near the top of the division even with bad injury luck, they're healthy again offensively but have nothing pitching-wise to rely on with Lance and Garcia out for the year and Whitley is probably a bust. And hell Dana Brown is supposed to be this draft guru, maybe he can find diamonds in the rough.

I presume they'll try the six man rotation like last year once Urquidy is back to try to get Javier and Framber some rest, not to mention Brown who has never thrown this many innings in a season before

JV-Framber-Javier-Brown-Urquidy-France seems fine. If Framber and Javier can unfuck themselves it's pretty great actually

We're also a day off from it being reported that Brown wasn't in the market for a starter so I'm wondering if this was a purely Crane move

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Serious question: what makes a baseball team cohesive? Of the major North American sports, baseball seems like the one where it should be easiest to plug and play a bunch of great players.

As someone said above, chemistry for sure. It’s a huge part of morale and baseball players are arguably the most head-case-prone athletes when it comes to performance. Clubhouse issues also manage to crop up in games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

You should probably read the entire post before responding to it

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

verlander has been punching way above his ~advanced analytics~ performance this year so hopefully he regresses hardcore

also thanks to both the stupid teams from Texas for bailing the mets out this trade deadline! real cool guys!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You know what, whatever. Fuckin bring it Houston. Just four games back of ya

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Did you actually read the entire quote or?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't think the Mets problem is "lack of cohesion" or whatever intangible bunk you want to go with, they are just mediocre.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Blue Jays want to acquire Jack Flaherty while we're at it to keep the train rolling?

7 man rotation lets go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

IWe're also a day off from it being reported that Brown wasn't in the market for a starter so I'm wondering if this was a purely Crane move

No doubt

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mets collapse is just so loving weird to me. It’s like a guy building this completely min-maxed team of all-stars in The Show or Super Mega Baseball without bothering to step back and think if it made sense as a cohesive team.
it's not the worst way to leverage having the deepest pockets honestly

They threw a ton of money at some guys, and when that didn't work out, they ate a bunch of that money to flip those guys for some pretty good prospects. They have essentially bought prospects, thus improving their system faster than rebuilding it from the ground up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So the Astros didn't want to pay Verlander so they had to give up their best prospect, another good prospect and also pay him anyway. That is practically Yankee-esque

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are rumored to be IN on every mediocre lefty reliever available... and most importantly they're trading extra guys and bonus pool money to stay under that luxury tax!!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I don't think the Mets problem is "lack of cohesion" or whatever intangible bunk you want to go with, they are just mediocre.

JV and Scherzer hating each other is the real reason :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't see how you question this for the Astros. They have Altuve and Bregman who might be towards the end of their runs. You have young guys you can build the next generation around but you have a core right now that can win again. Verlander is a fit you know. You should have signed him in the winter. Can't go back and change that. Gotta go hard. And giving up an OF prospect when you have two young stud OFers really ain't that bad a deal.

But I hope it blows up in their faces. gently caress the Astros.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

So the Astros didn't want to pay Verlander so they had to give up their best prospect, another good prospect and also pay him anyway. That is practically Yankee-esque

I imagine the Mets are paying ~60% of what's left just they did for Scherzer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Mets should have hired Joe Maddon to heal the team through the power of petting zoos.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's annoying but also the rotation is a very different beast than it was before the season started. They've gone most of the season missing 3 of their presumed SPs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Doesn't seem like they are?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If the Astros took on the full salary AND gave up the prospects then Jim Crane is a big dumb idiot who deseerves to be laughed at

So that'll be what it is I guess

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

lol wait, so the Astros also agreed to pay all over Verlander's 43m next year? hahaha

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

lol wait, so the Astros also agreed to pay all over Verlander's 43m next year? hahaha

It's just speculation for now I think, nothing's been reported as far as I've seen

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do something Phillies

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Except it's probably going to work for Houston.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Mets should have hired Joe Maddon to heal the team through the power of petting zoos.

Dumping Showalter is a proven winner's move

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Mets aren't some secret that we can figure out. It just didn't work. Injuries, chemistry, bad luck. Its all just luck sometimes. They won 101 games last year. They're not crap. But baseball is weird and fickle and long and chaotic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Its only notable because there was such fanfare about Steve Cohen being the man willing to spend anything to win. And whoops. People forgot it ain't that easy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Except it's probably going to work for Houston.

Well the last time Houston traded for Justin Verlander...

What are other instances of a major guy leaving in FA and then immediately getting traded back the next season?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't remember who it was but there was a guy who was traded for himself as the PTBNL

e: it's happened four times actually

Harry Chiti, Dickie Noles, Brad Gulden and John McDonald were all the PTBNL in their own trades, so they were traded for themselves

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

It ain't my money

I think $43m is a good price for another ring

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lorenzen to the Phillies is close, according to somebody

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

It's annoying but also the rotation is a very different beast than it was before the season started. They've gone most of the season missing 3 of their presumed SPs
So have the Dodgers

if the options are "overpay for a 40 year old Verlander who may or may not still have it" or "dumpster dive for Lance Lynn" I'm not sure either is all that appealing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do something Phillies

They're doing something and it's called "not making the playoffs"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1686451757139017728

lol, oh bob never change

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

So have the Dodgers

if the options are "overpay for a 40 year old Verlander who may or may not still have it" or "dumpster dive for Lance Lynn" I'm not sure either is all that appealing

He may have it

Trading M's players for JV is a >9000 genious brain move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cohen also couldn't get the guy he wanted to be his GM/Pres of Baseball Ops so he hires Eppler for some reason who is a total moron.