Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

a sexual elk posted:

Few thousand baby frogs were trying to cross the highway, so grabbed a few before they could get pancaked

https://imgur.com/a/uliHnXx

Figure big hole on top flies and stuff can get in, but they cant hop out. Going to take them to my wife’s aunts place when she gets back into town cause she has fountains and stuff in her backyard.

Hmmmmmmmm ...

E: what a wonderful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:rip: to a real one.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I'm 48 and I've never worked anywhere longer than four years.

In my industry if you stay longer than that they start to view you as not a "riser". It's all BS but I'm hoping to stay at Uni until retirement if possible. The problem is the guys at the top make a poo poo load quickly and then go retire to their cabin in Jackson Hole

I'm also 48 and will celebrate 20 years with my dumb company in October, in this branch of the industry it seems sticking around actually pays off as we have tons of contented 20-to-lifers, of the 7 dudes in my work drinking group chat the average length of employment is something like 17 years and only one of them is below 14. I've 5x'd my salary since starting and most of those guys did too...

Sometimes I wish I'd boomeranged around a bit and 10x'd it but I also like the extreme flexibility and complete lack of oversight my job provides due to that longevity so it looks like we're in it until the heat death of the planet at this point. Should be a good 3-4 years

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve been at my company now 8 years, and currently 37. It wasn’t my first real job (because teaching definitely is one), but the first place I joined after “graduating” from doing the English teaching in Japan stuff. Now into a second different role in the company, some ups and downs but finally into topics and work that matches the albatross around my neck Biden won’t get rid of things I studied and wanted to get into after grad school. And I’m trying to make cool stuff happen.

Today was the first day in at least two weeks, maybe longer, when it hasn’t been hot and sunny all day in the Tokyo area. Got some thunderstorms and even showers and rain - 80 and sprinkles feels like heaven after weeks of 95 and humid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I was with FedEx Ground (sort of) for 10 years, longest time I've ever kept a job, and if they didn't do me and my contractor dirty with the scheduling I'd still be there. 12 years of driving truck in general.

And I'm 42.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

D-LINK posted:

We have guys who are near retirement who have never been in the hall or on the out of work list. This is true of most larger union shops.

Yea we're the same. There are foremen, and probably even a few journeymen who have been steadily employed here for a couple decades. Lots of other guys get hired and fired as work load goes up and down, but we always find work for the 10-20% of guys who we absolutely don't want to lose.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Double post, I went and saw Oppenheimer last night. Conflicted on the movie, I liked it, but the first half or so jumped around so much it was sometimes difficult to follow. All sorts of ancillary characters barely got enough time on screen for me to care about them. I was glad to see it in the theater though, not really for the visuals, but for the sound. They're probably winning an Oscar for sound design.

I understand Nolan's desire to jump around in time, otherwise the Trinity test would've been like halfway through the movie instead of like 3/4 of the way through. I thought Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. were great. Had a slight chuckle when I realized who was playing President Truman.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been at my current company 4 months now, barely enough time to get started.

An opportunity has come up that’s about 30k/year more and a managerial position at another company - a clear promotion

Is it a dick move to jump so soon? To be clear they approached me - they used to be a client of mine at a previous company

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’ve been at my current company 4 months now, barely enough time to get started.

An opportunity has come up that’s about 30k/year more and a managerial position at another company - a clear promotion

Is it a dick move to jump so soon? To be clear they approached me - they used to be a client of mine at a previous company

If they're not willing to match in some way and the other opportunity seems on the up and up, I wouldn't see it as a dick move.

Like, what would you think about someone else doing it?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ozymandius1024 posted:

If they're not willing to match in some way and the other opportunity seems on the up and up, I wouldn't see it as a dick move.

Like, what would you think about someone else doing it?

That’s fair. They couldn’t match the position and I doubt they’ll match the salary. Normally I wouldn’t care much but I actually like the guy I report to a lot and don’t wanna leave him hanging.

The new company is great and I also really like the guy I’d be reporting to as well, we’ve worked together in the past.

I just gotta get over the morality of it and, if given the offer, go for it.

Also, probably “good for them” if someone else did it

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Who gives a gently caress? Take your money and run. They’d fire you in a heartbeat if the balance sheet demanded it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Take your money and run. They’d fire you in a heartbeat if the balance sheet demanded it.

Don’t think I haven’t thought about that - the reason I’ve only been here 4 months is because I got laid off just before that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol, I jumped ship after 3 weeks once due to the other job being more what I wanted, paying 1.5 times as much, and not being graveyard shift, you don’t owe them poo poo. Don’t put them down as a professional reference obviously but otherwise adios

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Secure the bag Joey.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Joey Freshwater posted:

We have a sysadmin leaving for a new job after 6 months with our company. It was just enough time for him to be trained and start being useful to us.

But his new job is at Microsoft, he gets a raise, and he gets to travel (which he likes).

It sucks that I have to train somebody else so soon and it leaves us in a lovely situation with project deadlines, but I have no ill will towards him for doing what's best for him :shrug:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Usually the only people who hate when someone leaves is upper management because it means they have to interview and hire someone again, which is tedious and time consuming. Usually people at equal levels certainly won't care if you jump ship. The new job seems better anyway, so as long as you don't plan to try and get a job with your current company anytime soon, I'd say make the leap.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
As someone who is farting around at work today because everyone just got laid off and there is no project direction or org chart right now, get your money, you don't owe anybody anything. When it comes down to it, you're just a faceless salary expense on a ledger that is completely expendable if it means people higher up the chain can keep earning money.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
There’s a handful of reasons a $30K salary increase isn’t an automatic layup, but if you’ve previously worked with that other company it removes a lot of possible unknowns about the working environment. Anything else is just about work/life balance changing in a way extra money wouldn’t cover.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Unless someone was specifically throwing me under the bus for it or something I couldn’t get mad at someone for going to a better job for them.

I’ve worked a few places where they tried to keep such razor thin labor margins that one person leaving hurt, but that’s more on management for not accounting for that.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Speaking of terrible jobs on razor thin margins, my terrible manager, who is the son of the regional manager and therefore untouchable, has successfully driven out our lead estimator who handles All-State, CSAA, Estrace, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, The General Travelers, and Wawanesa. He's transferring to another one of our shops.

He's also the only one who can use Mitchell, an estimating software. It's about to get really great around here.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My work hot take is that companies should have a salary cap like football. I know it is not feasible, but there would be no C-level people if so. Hmm, one person who does almost nothing and gets around a million per year, or 10 people actually working. Our CEO left and we did not have a CEO for a year and it impacted our company less than one of the more junior people leaving.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

My work hot take is that companies should have a salary cap like football. I know it is not feasible, but there would be no C-level people if so. Hmm, one person who does almost nothing and gets around a million per year, or 10 people actually working. Our CEO left and we did not have a CEO for a year and it impacted our company less than one of the more junior people leaving.

I don't know if that's really a hot take around here. Nearly all C-suite people are paid way beyond what they contribute to the company. Some even actively make the company worse.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Speaking of silly allocations of money, my unit has a kid in Philly who needs to get back to Portland, and it happened to align with my schedule such that my kid’s with her mom, so I agreed to make the trip. How it goes is I pick some flights I think will work out and submit it to central office, who decide whether it’s good and buy the tickets; my options were basically fly out at 10 am or 1 am, and while I do get paid OT for all the hours actively traveling that aren’t 8-5, I elected for the 10 am flight since I can’t sleep on planes and didn’t want to gently caress up my schedule too much. Central office bounced it back since the 10 am flight is $200 more than the 1 am flight, and they just don’t feel that’s fiscally responsible, so instead I’ll be racking up over $1000 in OT so the state can save $200 on a ticket. Like, I’m not complaining since that buys an awful lot of patience from me, but lol all the same

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coco13 posted:

There’s a handful of reasons a $30K salary increase isn’t an automatic layup, but if you’ve previously worked with that other company it removes a lot of possible unknowns about the working environment. Anything else is just about work/life balance changing in a way extra money wouldn’t cover.

My only real hesitation is I worked with them when they were my client. They seemed good enough but hard to tell how it would be from an employee perspective, but I guess you have that with any job.

Thanks y’all, I’ll take the job if the offer is what they say it’ll be. I’m just overthinking it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

Speaking of silly allocations of money, my unit has a kid in Philly who needs to get back to Portland, and it happened to align with my schedule such that my kid’s with her mom, so I agreed to make the trip. How it goes is I pick some flights I think will work out and submit it to central office, who decide whether it’s good and buy the tickets; my options were basically fly out at 10 am or 1 am, and while I do get paid OT for all the hours actively traveling that aren’t 8-5, I elected for the 10 am flight since I can’t sleep on planes and didn’t want to gently caress up my schedule too much. Central office bounced it back since the 10 am flight is $200 more than the 1 am flight, and they just don’t feel that’s fiscally responsible, so instead I’ll be racking up over $1000 in OT so the state can save $200 on a ticket. Like, I’m not complaining since that buys an awful lot of patience from me, but lol all the same

Love it when the accountants forget to factor in all costs.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Temper the choler, bring the phlegmatic to the fore. Do this now.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I just hit 10 years where I'm at. I've looked at leaving before but things never ever really lines up. I've been blessed enough that I beat the odds with promotions and stuff so I'm doing well, enough that most of my peers are almost retirement age

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

19 years at my current job, age 48. When I started here I figured I'd do 3-5 years, jumping ship regularly is how you keep your salary up, but this place has been very comfortable and stable for me and I'm risk averse.

T-Square posted:

Yeah these are pretty much my two chief complaints. To your first point, it reminds me of prime D&D GoT where there’s just a bunch of poo poo that makes you go “oooh that’s gonna get interesting” and you never see it again. To your second point, yeah I get the portals blah blah, but I agree it’s definitely still jarring and kind of obnoxious.

Also the penultimate Ciri episode had me playing on my phone for most of it, that girl is not a good enough actress to do most of an entire episode basically by herself lol

Yeah it's unfortunate casting, she's fine in some scenes but she's so thin it's not believable when she is throwing weight around in action scenes and she did not pull off "dying in a desert" very well.

a sexual elk posted:

Few thousand baby frogs were trying to cross the highway, so grabbed a few before they could get pancaked

https://imgur.com/a/uliHnXx

Figure big hole on top flies and stuff can get in, but they cant hop out. Going to take them to my wife’s aunts place when she gets back into town cause she has fountains and stuff in her backyard.

Hi, I've kept frogs for many years. Those frogs will not survive on just random bugs that happen to fly into the container. Find the nearest pet store that sells crickets and buy their smallest size, along with some calcium powder and some vitamin powder. You'll need to mix a little of each powder together and dust the crickets, and add a few and see how many get eaten. Keeping live crickets sucks, they die fast and stink, so ideally you can just put in a few days worth at a time, maybe buy a week's worth at a time, but that takes some practice and observation to figure out what that quantity is.

You'll also want to identify the species and look up care sheets for them. Most frogs are insectivores but there's exceptions, and you'll also need to find out what humidity and temp levels are appropriate.

If you're not prepared to keep and offer live insect food, just let them go.

The pet island herp thread is also for amphibians, feel free to stop by for more advice!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’ve been at my job for 14 years. Company gave everyone “raises” this year, which is good in theory, but it wiped out all of the annual raises I had earned. So while I am making a little more than I was before, I also make the same amount of money as the idiot new hires that last maybe four months before they get fired. I loving hate retail so much.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Lol I once had a Spanish speaking coworker get her travel to place a kid with their dad in Mexico denied because she wanted to stay an extra day and do her own health and safety. Our regional administrator at the time told her "we're not paying for your vacation" so they basically scheduled her to work like 24 hours. It was dumb as hell and after that administrator left any travel to Mexico or across country got an extra day padded in if possible since it's brutal to same day that poo poo. Right before I went to our court unit one of my other coworkers placed a kid in Connecticut and was flying monthly to do health an safeties over a weekend and got serious OT for it so she didn't mind too much.
Fun fact though, Hawaii for us is considered internationally travel if we're doing it for work purposes so it requires not only our regional and agency head approval but also the governor to sign off on it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I am screaming internally

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Lol I once had a Spanish speaking coworker get her travel to place a kid with their dad in Mexico denied because she wanted to stay an extra day and do her own health and safety. Our regional administrator at the time told her "we're not paying for your vacation" so they basically scheduled her to work like 24 hours. It was dumb as hell and after that administrator left any travel to Mexico or across country got an extra day padded in if possible since it's brutal to same day that poo poo. Right before I went to our court unit one of my other coworkers placed a kid in Connecticut and was flying monthly to do health an safeties over a weekend and got serious OT for it so she didn't mind too much.
Fun fact though, Hawaii for us is considered internationally travel if we're doing it for work purposes so it requires not only our regional and agency head approval but also the governor to sign off on it.

If you fly someplace and stay overnight, do you get paid the entire time you're there, or do they consider you only working if you're travelling and actively doing work?

Having the governor sign-off on international travel is one of those things that seems like absolutely no one thought through. The governor isn't going to give a poo poo about something like that, he's just going to pencil whip it as soon as it lands on his desk. When people complain about government bureaucracy, poo poo like this is what I think about.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bird in a Blender posted:

If you fly someplace and stay overnight, do you get paid the entire time you're there, or do they consider you only working if you're travelling and actively doing work?

Having the governor sign-off on international travel is one of those things that seems like absolutely no one thought through. The governor isn't going to give a poo poo about something like that, he's just going to pencil whip it as soon as it lands on his desk. When people complain about government bureaucracy, poo poo like this is what I think about.

Depends on the state I imagine, for me I get paid while actively traveling as well as when I’m with a client, but not when I’m just kicking it at the hotel or whatever, if it’s 8-5 it’s my considered part of my salaried hours but outside of that it’s OT.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Been at my current gig for 2.5 years. I've all but been promised the ability to buy in this year (we're a 100% employee owned firm), so that will likely keep me around for a while.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Haven’t worked for someone else since 2020 and I’ll never go back.

Potentially starting a new partnership (or being absorbed) so my futures up in the air currently

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol

https://twitter.com/LiveBoston617/status/1686442418403495969?t=dFV5_PVBUgljOYE9VgeGYg&s=19

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Amy Pole Her posted:

Haven’t worked for someone else since 2020 and I’ll never go back.

Potentially starting a new partnership (or being absorbed) so my futures up in the air currently

Hello fellow "future is up in the air" person, although my future just fell off a cliff.

Got fired for using my phone too much on the road.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Paraphrased from the great Samuel Shem, but show me an officer who only triples my work and I will kiss their feet.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Sounds like a tin can in a dryer, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Goon designed and installed slide