Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

nothing wrong with a small market team staying pat. gotta develop the players you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

I was looking at trades the last year or two ago out of curiosity while waiting for the deadline and...wow.

The Reds absolutely fleeced the Mariners for Winker and Suarez.

Please do not look at the end result of the trades the Twins made at the deadline last year.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Kirios posted:

I was looking at trades the last year or two ago out of curiosity while waiting for the deadline and...wow.

The Reds absolutely fleeced the Mariners for Winker and Suarez.

Hmmm??

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kolten Wong has been traded to the DFAs.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

STAC goat all I'm asking is for you to be like this guy

https://twitter.com/JoezMcfLy/status/1686493041702346752?s=20

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Brian Cashman is the greatest GM ever. Only he could take a team that should be top 3 every year like the Yankees and turns them into a fringe playoff team every year.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

uggy posted:

Hmmm??

Connor Phillips is a decent prospect but reliever only.

Brandon Williamson and Jake Fraley have done really well in Cinci but were done in Seattle because of personal stuff -- IIRC Fraley was part of the Graveman/Seager anti-vaxx contingent who tried to convince every rookie to avoid getting the COVID vaccine for as long as possible (yes this happened).

Williamson idk, there was some rumbling with area guys that he wasn't going to crack the Mariners rotation due to work ethic/fit/timing stuff.

It's worked out for them in Cinci but Suarez alone was worth moving that package and they don't make the playoffs last year without Winker's 6 week hot stretch in June.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Pham to the DBacks

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Connor Phillips is a decent prospect but reliever only.

Brandon Williamson and Jake Fraley have done really well in Cinci but were done in Seattle because of personal stuff -- IIRC Fraley was part of the Graveman/Seager anti-vaxx contingent who tried to convince every rookie to avoid getting the COVID vaccine for as long as possible (yes this happened).

Williamson idk, there was some rumbling with area guys that he wasn't going to crack the Mariners rotation due to work ethic/fit/timing stuff.

It's worked out for them in Cinci but Suarez alone was worth moving that package and they don't make the playoffs last year without Winker's 6 week hot stretch in June.

Dang didn’t know Seager was anti-vax dang it. Agreed Geno is a lot of fun, he’s been playing some top notch defense as of late and I got to be at the game when he walked it off in extras with a three run homer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astros fans in peak mode. Super.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I am going to the see the Chicago Cubs host the Cincinnati Reds for an evening of National League Base Ball this evening.

It's been like 48 hours since I've been at a professional sporting event and nearly 72 since I've been at a major league baseball game, i'm itching

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang didn’t know Seager was anti-vax dang it. Agreed Geno is a lot of fun, he’s been playing some top notch defense as of late and I got to be at the game when he walked it off in extras with a three run homer.

no one officially has talked about it but the story is that it was more Seager's wife and he was along for the ride than anything else.

it was probably a very large reason the team had no desire to bring him back after declining his option.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1686494743490953216

finally st louis residents can stop malding about him supporting BLM

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If the O’s could fix Flaherty’s command down the stretch then they’re as good as any team to go the distance

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hell yeah that's exactly what the Orioles needed.

Get another starter or two though!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Pham to Dbacks. You’re safe STAC

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

no one officially has talked about it but the story is that it was more Seager's wife and he was along for the ride than anything else.

it was probably a very large reason the team had no desire to bring him back after declining his option.

Huh that’s too bad. It was funny when an unnamed player was enraged at Dipoto for trading Graveman in the middle of a series & not bothering to tell the team beforehand, and it was obviously Seager.

Kinda related did not know Jean Segura was a bad clubhouse presence, helped to explain why they let him go so easily.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lets go Friedman pull some of that last second magic

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1686494463852417024

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd still like another reliever Astros. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Huh that’s too bad. It was funny when an unnamed player was enraged at Dipoto for trading Graveman in the middle of a series & not bothering to tell the team beforehand, and it was obviously Seager.

Kinda related did not know Jean Segura was a bad clubhouse presence, helped to explain why they let him go so easily.

Well, we let Segura go because we got JP Crawford out of it. Penisaurus Rex is correct about the anti-vaxx stuff as far as I remember. The Graveman trade ruled especially hard when Toro hit a grand slam off Graveman.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

more falafel please posted:

I am going to the see the Chicago Cubs host the Cincinnati Reds for an evening of National League Base Ball this evening.

It's been like 48 hours since I've been at a professional sporting event and nearly 72 since I've been at a major league baseball game, i'm itching

I am happy for you, I was at the game yesterday and elly went 0-5 which was sad but then he preened when the reds won which was cool and folks got upset

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

God dammit MLB Network why thell are you doing a commercial break now?!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
C'mon Cubs you absolutely need a lefty for the pen.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

Well, we let Segura go because we got JP Crawford out of it. Penisaurus Rex is correct about the anti-vaxx stuff as far as I remember. The Graveman trade ruled especially hard when Toro hit a grand slam off Graveman.

Segura was a fight with Dee Strange-Gordon I think?

It's only the second most famous Mariners team fight after Marco Gonzales beating Mike Leake's rear end.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

3 min left for some last minute craziness

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1686489387045990400

Pirates get international bonus pool money back. Might mean that Jonah Heim won't be back this year, which would be a big loss for the Rangers.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

uggy posted:

I am happy for you, I was at the game yesterday and elly went 0-5 which was sad but then he preened when the reds won which was cool and folks got upset

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing him. I hope he goes 4-5, hits for the cycle and steals 3 bases in a 14-2 cubs win

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pungry posted:

I liked Toro but the main thing I remember was his ability to do trilingual interviews when they were playing in Toronto.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1686496293592432640

The Yankees make their move

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
uhhh

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

A rental reliever. Exactly what they needed

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Unless they sent DJLM or Stanton’s contract to Chicago I’m less than enthused.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cease to LA, breaking 15 minutes from now, confirmed

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1686496972969271296

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Cease stays a W. Sox booooo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Cease to LA, breaking 15 minutes from now, confirmed

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1686496972969271296

Bob and all but if true that's such a big miss for the Dodgers.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

daaaaaa jankees lose

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Flaherty is at least a starter, even if he isn't the big fish we were hoping for. Now to see if there are any last minute surprises.

E: I'm seeing Rom and Prieto? Prieto is one of our 8 billion middle infield prospects and at least fourth behind Gunnar/Westburg/Ortiz so that's hardly the worst thing to give up and Rom is an okay but not great starter who we called up for one game and didn't even end up using.

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 1, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1686479802201518080

This is kinda weird lol. Unless he just doesn't want to move his family.

He did end up saying he wants to stay close to his family

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Bob and all but if true that's such a big miss for the Dodgers.
it's the most "we tried" deadline of the Friedman era

this team has more holes than any previous under him, and they've made the least impactful moves to fix them

They will now rely on:
-Kershaw coming back healthy and ace-like
-Urias figuring it out
-Gonsolin figuring it out
-Lance Lynn figuring it out
-rookie Bobby Miller

what could go wrong???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open