Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Oh god, the memories.
That was from a Guavamoment Let's Play, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remember when the Rabbids were part of a Rayman game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghD4yq9kL-0

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Zelda pro controller (Japanese) for $64 on Amazon. Any reason not to bite? Drift on my pro controller has escalated from occasional false notes in Theatrhythm to constant sidestepping during battle in XBC3 and this is a bit cheaper than the normal pro controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It'ssss RRRRRODEO TIIIIME!!

Selane posted:

It's the right one but the engines should be tilted 45 degrees. The only thing the hoverbike design is good for is looking cool, it's hard to drive.

Tilt the thumbstick forward and steer by angling slightly to the sides, hoverbike drives just fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My docked Switch seems to lose HDMI to the point where my TV and receiver think it disconnected. They don’t do this for anything else hanging off the receiver

My switch is old enough that it’s hackable but I think I got it in 2019 around Mario Maker 2’s release.

After replacing the cord should I just buy a new dock, like the one with built-in Ethernet? What are the odds it’s my switch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hed posted:

My docked Switch seems to lose HDMI to the point where my TV and receiver think it disconnected. They don’t do this for anything else hanging off the receiver

My switch is old enough that it’s hackable but I think I got it in 2019 around Mario Maker 2’s release.

After replacing the cord should I just buy a new dock, like the one with built-in Ethernet? What are the odds it’s my switch.

Possible issues:
1.) If you've never replaced the battery, there's the possibility it's swelling and causing the system to not be seated correctly in the dock on the usb-c port.
2.) The cable is loose. Reseat each end.
3.) The cable is poo poo. Replace it.
4.) Move the connection toa different port.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I had something like that happen with my old switch. It would just blink every 20 seconds or so.

I bought an aftermarket dock and that fixed it. Never figured out what the problem was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

get the genki stealth dock and never look back.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For those with their Wii U still hooked up: The online servers for Splatoon 1 and Mario Kart 8 Non-Deluxe are being re-enabled on August 8 after months of downtime following a security concern, albeit with the warning that they'll go down again, probably permanently, if another issue pops up.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 2, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Honestly amazed they're going up again at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mad world isn’t that good tbh. Looks great. If you’re hooking up the wii, just play resi4 again cos it’s so good

It's not great but it's brutally stylish

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

sigher posted:

Family???

Yeah, those people you can abduct off the streets. That’s family right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, those people you can abduct off the streets. That’s family right?

Found family is still family

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quantum of Phallus posted:

get the genki stealth dock and never look back.

A dock that doesn't dock.... disgusting

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Metroid Dread Sales Top 3 Million Units - Sales

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/457984/metroid-dread-sales-top-3-million-units/

quote:

The CEO of Metroid Dread developer MercurySteam Enric Álvarez speaking with GameReactor revealed the game has sold over three million units worldwide.

"I don't think development was chaotic," said Álvarez when asked if development on the game was chaotic. "Chaotic development doesn't end with one of the best games in the franchise. It doesn't end with a game that has sold over three million-odd copies. It doesn't end with a game that has won awards TGA. That's all I have to say about it."

Álvarez was asked if there are plans for more Metroid games from MercurySteam and he said, "Well, about the projects we are doing today, there is nothing I can say. So a simple 'no comment' will suffice."

:hellyeah:

Nintendo, make 2024 the Year of Samus. So far we have Prime 4 and a rumor of Prime 2 remastered...I hope someone is working on Metroid 6 too, can't wait to see where they take the series

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if metroid would translate well to a board game. I don't mean like metroid themed monopoly for babies, more like a real board game for sophisticated gamers where you accumulste powers. Make it competitive where you are racing to a bounty

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wonder if metroid would translate well to a board game. I don't mean like metroid themed monopoly for babies, more like a real board game for sophisticated gamers where you accumulste powers. Make it competitive where you are racing to a bounty

I can kinda see it, needing certain suits to access parts of the board, getting upgrades from a community chest type of thing, shortcuts that need the morph ball

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Now would be the best time to sell a Switch OLED, right? Before the new one comes out...

Only issue I have is that I won't be able to play MGS on a handheld for a while... dammit.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

After so much talent turnover and insane delays with games from Retro, I have to think letting MercurySteam just rock with the Metroid franchise in the 2D realm is going to be a high possibility. Maybe we'll still get a good Prime 4 but I highly doubt we ever get a 5th one

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

eravulgaris posted:

Now would be the best time to sell a Switch OLED, right? Before the new one comes out...

Only issue I have is that I won't be able to play MGS on a handheld for a while... dammit.

Hack your 3ds and you got 1 and 3 right there

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

eravulgaris posted:

I think you have at least until January before Nintendo announces anything and the value crashes. I might sell my PS5 pretty soon though since the rumors of a slim are heating up and I barely use the thing. I’ll just put that money aside for the Super Switch and just give my current switch to my niece or something

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Had to do a bunch of tedious data work this morning. Stumbled across this since I usually like lo-fi stuff in the background and thought the thread would enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAl7q9dHGwY

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMyme_M01SY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQG0dhGIRNA

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Hack your 3ds and you got 1 and 3 right there

That's a possibility for sure. My 3DS XL is just gathering dust anyway.

hatty posted:

I think you have at least until January before Nintendo announces anything and the value crashes. I might sell my PS5 pretty soon though since the rumors of a slim are heating up and I barely use the thing. I’ll just put that money aside for the Super Switch and just give my current switch to my niece or something

I sold my PS5 as well! Slim and/or Pro version coming and yeah, didn't play anything on mine either. Only game I kinda felt like I was missing out on was FFXVI, but I guess I'll play it on a new PS5 version or on PC.

Ragequit posted:

Had to do a bunch of tedious data work this morning. Stumbled across this since I usually like lo-fi stuff in the background and thought the thread would enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAl7q9dHGwY

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing! Seems like that channel is full of this stuff.

eravulgaris fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 2, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Remember when the Rabbids were part of a Rayman game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghD4yq9kL-0

Hell yeah they brought back the Opera man ghost boss

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
"value crashing" in light of a new console announcement is a difference of like $50

Just hold on to your switch til you have the new one in your hand then sell it off if you want to keep using it, what's $50 in the grand scheme of things? At least wait til some sort of official announcement for that matter

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah no way I'm giving up my Switch until there's a fresh new console in my hands. Hell, I still played my 3DSXL for about two years after getting the Switch.

Well, if it is BC and can migrate my account and all my purchases over, I'll sell asap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

eravulgaris posted:

There's no guarantee the new one will be backwards compatible or have that collection.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The PS5 has no games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's no guarantee the new one will be backwards compatible or have that collection.

Going to rage if there's no backward compatibility. Then I'll probably just pirate everything on a modded console.

It really does blow to think about how much money I've invested in the eShop and it could just go away

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

American McGay posted:

The PS5 has no games.

Not as long as Sony continues to support its predecessor that is (and it seems like they’ll continue to do so at least into next year)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Larryb posted:

Not as long as Sony continues to support its predecessor that is (and it seems like they’ll continue to do so at least into next year

Yah wtf I was pretty generous with Sony cuz of COVID and all but it's been a reaaaally long time and there are still no games

Oh I guess they remastered a PS3 game not too long ago whoop de loving doo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Yah wtf I was pretty generous with Sony cuz of COVID and all but it's been a reaaaally long time and there are still no games

Oh I guess they remastered a PS3 game not too long ago whoop de loving doo

COVID was absolutely not a 'really long time ago.' We're going to be feeling the hits to development time and pipelines for at least the rest of the decade.

(Also like, Sony actually is putting out games, they just are also porting them to PC so people say they're not exclusive.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lazy devs

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If theres no BC for some reason I'll just keep my OLED. Its portable so I can just keep it in a drawer with my 3DS and PSP and stuff and pull it out when needed. But I think it'll be BC anyway no reason to think otherwise yet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

COVID was absolutely not a 'really long time ago.' We're going to be feeling the hits to development time and pipelines for at least the rest of the decade.

(Also like, Sony actually is putting out games, they just are also porting them to PC so people say they're not exclusive.)

Relatively speaking the library is extremely thin for a 3 year old console but yeah I think you're right that there's a lot going on in the background messing with timelines

Still, sad to think that I haven't powered my PS5 on in months. Guess I can play that re4 remake at some point. For now PS5 as a platform is being kept alive by old PS4 games and that's disappointing now that we're more than a year or two out from launch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Raylax posted:

Yeah I'm wondering about this too. My point of comparison is the Steam Deck, which can just about run games at PS4-ish spec but it's bulky and the price point was reportedly "painful" for Valve to get that low. Nintendo historically doesn't like selling consoles at loss as I'm assuming Valve is doing.

On the other hand, the deck is a full PC, and the chip in the Switch was already pretty mid-range when it launched 6 years ago (iirc they used a Tegra X1, when the Tegra X2 was already out?), so maybe they can just keep basically the same slim form factor, jam a higher tier nVidia chip in there for the same price as the X1 cost them in 2017, and have a notably more powerful console for about the same price.

If everything runs at a smooth 1080p and 60FPS and can maybe push 4k on things that already do 1080p60 like Mario Kart that'd be enough for most of their audience. Yeah 4k and 60FPS docked as a general thing would be great but it's Nintendo, they aren't going to push to release hardware on the level of the PS5, especially if it's a hybrid system like the Switch.

Needs to have at least 512GB of storage built-in, though. Considering that you can get a 2TB Samsung m.2 SSD for $99 these days and their 500GB models are around $35, (the same price as their micro sd cards) it's not like adding one would break the bank on development costs while having vastly faster read/write speeds that would make load times in something like TotK almost non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Relatively speaking the library is extremely thin for a 3 year old console but yeah I think you're right that there's a lot going on in the background messing with timelines

Still, sad to think that I haven't powered my PS5 on in months. Guess I can play that re4 remake at some point

Even discounting COVID that isn't really the case. Both of the modern-gen consoles have an extremely packed lineup of games, just relatively few true exclusives as in "I must buy a (x) to play this game and can't play it on anything else." The thing there is that is not a result of games not coming out but games coming out for last-gen consoles too, which is also something you saw in other generations. It's lasting longer this gen but that's a combination of COVID troubles, economic troubles making people less prone to upgrade, and the fact the next gen is backwards compatible so unless you absolutely can't make something run on the last-gen consoles there's almost no benefit in not aiming for cross-gen, especially because the architecture is so similar that porting is easy. The previous gen still has an absolutely huge install base who have proven that they're willing to accept compromised quality. (poo poo, EA is backporting Jedi Survivor to PS4/XBO they just announced and that was a game that struggled on modern stuff.)

If you're not turning on your PS5 it's because you're playing games on another system or PC most likely, not because those games don't exist. Backwards compatibility or huge install bases tend to cause this problem too because there is no pressure to upgrade. (See the 3DS having to take a mulligan on their original launch!)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 2, 2023