Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

full price apps though I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
neom genesis saudigelion

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
get into the goddamn ai-generated giant robot, shinji

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The African nation of Niger is the 4th largest producer of Uranium in the world. Most of Nigers Uranium mines are owned & operated by French companies. Uranium from Niger produces 40% of France's electricity, while only 11% of the People of Niger have access to electricity.

Over the past 40 years, 270 billion litters (Over 6 billion litters a year) of Niger's already scarce water supply, is used in the extraction of Uranium from Niger, leaving local farmers & cattle herders to fight each other over the diminishing fresh water supply.

Matter of fact, water scarcity is the primary driver of violence & instability in Niger. France & the U.S had troops in Niger to maintain S̵t̵a̵b̵i̵l̵i̵t̵y̵ ̵their resource colony.

All the waste from the Uranium refined in France was then shipped back to Africa. Over the past 40 years, 45 million tonnes of radioactive waste hasp been dumped in Niger, mostly on the land of the Tuareg people, leaving them with some of the highest rates of cancer in the world

Ea Nasir
Jul 17, 2023

by vyelkin
that sounds like a very profitable commercial relationship

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/sajid_nadeem78/status/1686049725827645440

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/DD_Geopolitics/status/1685815772566978560

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

critical centrifuges for our new nigerien friends

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I missed that the government of Burkina Faso has really embraced the legacy of Sankara

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1683523731811966999?s=20

From that speech in Nicaragua

quote:

Nicaragua is not a large country, but the determination of its People is a Hope and an example for others, they have a great Spirit. In such a way, we have also kept that Hope, even after the assassination of our President Thomas Sankara.

Until today, many Revolutionaries have come from Burkina Faso, the only problem between us is the distance; Nicaragua is not a country that is close to ours, but despite that, distance does not count. That is why I am here, and I am here to be the living witness of the Unity between the People of Nicaragua and Burkina Faso.

And when I was coming, the President sent a letter of invitation to give to President Ortega so that he could also come to Burkina Faso. I’m not sure if he has the vigor of those years when he was fighting the Somoza Dictatorship, but I know, I am sure that he would love to arrive and honor the grave of our former President Thomas Sankara, and I do hope that he will make that visit, that he will travel to Burkina Faso, and in that way contribute to strengthening our relations.

I have heard that there is a delegation from Venezuela here too, and with the authorization of President Daniel Ortega I want to greet you. I was there last May and we shared many moments and thoughts.

I also noticed that there was a delegation from Cuba here, and I convey my greetings because we have very close relations with Cuba. President Fidel Castro has been and was a very important person for the Revolution in Africa; we have excellent memories, both of Cuba and of President Fidel Castro.

I also noticed that there is a delegation from Iran here, and I request you to let me greet the People of Iran. Likewise, for the Russian Federation, we will soon be in St. Petersburg, the delegation of Burkina Faso.
https://kawsachunnews.com/burkina-faso-prime-ministers-44-19-speech-in-nicaragua

https://twitter.com/S4R4C3N/status/1686031483767607297?s=20

quote:

In his speech, the Burkinabe head of state also focused on sovereignty and the struggle against imperialism. "Why does resource-rich Africa remain the poorest region of the world? We ask these questions and get no answers. However, we have the opportunity to build new relationships that will help us build a better future for Burkina Faso," the president said. African countries have suffered for decades from a barbaric and brutal form of colonialism and imperialism, which could be called a modern form of slavery, he stressed.

"However, a slave who does not fight [for his freedom] is not worthy of any indulgence. The heads of African states should not behave like puppets in the hands of the imperialists. We must ensure that our countries are self-sufficient, including as regards food supplies, and can meet all of the needs of our peoples. Glory and respect to our peoples; victory to our peoples! Homeland or death!" Traore summed up, quoting the words of legendary Cuban revolutionary leader Ernesto "Che" Guevara. The 35-year-old president of Burkina Faso was attired in a camouflage uniform and red beret during the summit.
https://tass.com/politics/1653611

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

All I could see looking at this was a big cream coloured smug looking muppet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the guy that killed sankara, blaise compaore, was overthrown in 2014 and he fled to ivory coast. another dude won two elections in a row fairly until he was coup'd riiight before the ukraine war and it flew under the radar. there was another coup last year and the new guy has promised a transition to democracy. BF is suspended from ecowas and the african union until this happens. they kicked the french out, same with other francophone african countries recently

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1685787484309917696?s=20

quote:

Niger Intervention Would Be 'Declaration Of War' On Burkina Faso And Mali: Statement
By AFP - Agence France Presse
July 31, 2023

Any military intervention in Niger to restore deposed President Mohamed Bazoum would be considered a "declaration of war against Burkina Faso and Mali", the two countries said in a joint statement Monday.

The governments of Niger's two neighbours, both the result of recent military coups, made the comments after West African leaders threatened to use "force" to reinstate Bazoum and slapped financial sanctions on the putschists.

"Any military intervention against Niger would be tantamount to a declaration of war against Burkina Faso and Mali," the two countries warned.

They said the "disastrous consequences of a military intervention in Niger... could destabilise the entire region".

The two also said they "refuse to apply" the "illegal, illegitimate and inhumane sanctions against the people and authorities of Niger".

Guards chief General Abdourahamane Tiani has declared himself leader of Niger -- but his claim has been shunned internationally and the West African bloc ECOWAS has given him a week to hand back power.

Niger is the third Sahel country in less than three years, following Mali and Burkina Faso, to be shaken by a military coup.

In a separate statement, Guinea -- whose government was also the result of a coup -- expressed its "disagreement with the sanctions recommended by ECOWAS, including military intervention".

It said it had "decided not to apply these sanctions, which it considers illegitimate and inhumane", and urged ECOWAS to "reconsider its position".
https://www.barrons.com/news/niger-military-intervention-would-be-declaration-of-war-on-burkina-faso-and-mali-joint-statement-d8285fae

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus lol that's no good

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1685787484309917696?s=20

https://www.barrons.com/news/niger-military-intervention-would-be-declaration-of-war-on-burkina-faso-and-mali-joint-statement-d8285fae

quote:

The two also said they "refuse to apply" the "illegal, illegitimate and inhumane sanctions against the people and authorities of Niger".

:sickos:

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for advocates for the rule of law and supporters of the rules-based international system - The Russian government is in favour of the speedy restoration of the rule of law in Niger.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-expresses-concern-over-niger-after-wagner-chief-celebrates-coup-2023-07-31/

Kremlin expresses concern over Niger after Wagner chief celebrates coup
Reuters
July 31, 2023 10:47 AM UTC · Updated 5 hours ago

July 31 (Reuters) - The Kremlin expressed concern on Monday over the situation in Niger, whose president was ousted last week in a coup that was condemned by many countries but welcomed by the head of Russia's mercenary Wagner group, which has extensive interests in Africa.

In a call with reporters, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said "what is happening (in Niger) is a matter of serious concern".

"We are in favour of the speedy restoration of the rule of law in the country, we are in favour of restraint on all sides so that this does not lead to human casualties," Peskov said.

Niger coup leaders declared General Abdourahamane Tiani as the new head of state last Friday, days after saying they had ousted President Mohamed Bazoum in the seventh military takeover in West and Central Africa in less than three years.

West African nations have imposed sanctions and threatened force if the coup leaders fail to reinstate Bazoum within a week.

In a voice message published last week on social media channels linked to Russia's mercenary Wagner Group, its founder Yevgeny Prigozhin appeared to endorse the coup, and to offer the services of his fighters to the junta.

Prigozhin did not claim involvement in the coup, but described it as a moment of long overdue liberation from Western colonisers

Prigozhin's relationship with the Kremlin has been unclear since he staged a failed mutiny last month aimed at ousting long-time rivals in the Defence Ministry in Moscow.

However, his Wagner Group remains a key player in Russia's foreign policy in Africa. It has become an influential force in Niger's neighbour Mali since a 2021 coup there, and has a longer-standing presence in Central African Republic and Libya.

Wagner's role in Africa is a source of concern for Western governments. The United States has accused the group of atrocities and imposed sanctions on it. Prigozhin says it works lawfully.

Prigozhin appears to continue to enjoy freedom of movement despite what the Kremlin said last month was a post-mutiny deal that would see him relocate to neighbouring Belarus where some of his men have already started training the army.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
highly recommend jagged alliance 3 btw

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hooting and hollaring commences from the peanut gallery.

edit- It must be quite galling for the nobility living within the walled garden of western european culture and civilisation to be told what to do by those savages living the wild untamed jungle. (the world outside western europe) How dare the help get all uppity like that? Don't they know their place? Sauve-moi!

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Aug 1, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
niger is about to get alot nicer smelling

https://twitter.com/dd_geopolitics/status/1686289013240705024?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Algeria is ending up in the Axis of Evil you say? And building a pipeline? During an energy crisis?

:thunk:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This would definitely Not Be Good

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1686192339428003841

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Isn't like half of ecowas currently suspended

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HallelujahLee posted:

Isn't like half of ecowas currently suspended

Yeah there are constant coups in that region, this is the first time they've made a formal statement like this though. I imagine that France/US are really putting thep ressure on.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah there are constant coups in that region, this is the first time they've made a formal statement like this though. I imagine that France/US are really putting thep ressure on.
Thats my guess apparently Niger also has a bunch of uranium mines

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Any chance Prigozhin might be on an African safari if Wagner's getting new work down there?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the desert bear...

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

HallelujahLee posted:

Thats my guess apparently Niger also has a bunch of uranium mines

It literally owes it's existence to being carved out as a separate military district to safeguard those mines. It has arguably the least justifiable borders of any African country, which is saying alot.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It literally owes it's existence to being carved out as a separate military district to safeguard those mines. It has arguably the least justifiable borders of any African country, which is saying alot.

what were the internal french colonial borders like before that?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Megamissen posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegambia_and_Niger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Senegal_and_Niger

edit actually, the map in the second link is mostly burkina faso and ends around the current niger border. iunno what was further east

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Aug 1, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

the desert bear...

The Ghost of Niamey...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Ghost of Niamey...

supplying niger with hiluxes instead of leopard 2's and they beat the nigerian army

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Megamissen posted:

Imagine if this went independent as one big country...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow, it would have half the population of nigeria

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think niger has either the highest or second highest birth rate after chad so it's grown pretty rapidly and is the biggest non-nigeria country in the area

edit ghana's got more but i think that rounds out the top three in west africa unless algeria and morocco count. niger does have the highest birth rate on the planet but algeria's is way higher than i was expecting

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Zedhe Khoja posted:

interesting info thanks

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i say swears online posted:

wow, it would have half the population of nigeria

Yeah, it's a lot of empty desert, and isn't even all that ethnically or linguistically diverse compared to some actual African countries. Those are some funky borders though, pretty fun.

Speaking of Nigeria- Lagos was originally its own Hong Kong-style British colony separate from Southern Nigeria. It got added and was the capital until the '70s before getting replaced by Abuja, but imagine if it remained independent the entire time, it'd be like if NYC was its own country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Colony

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I know absolutely nothing about the nigeria coup are there good sources/posts for some info?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the nigeria coup are there good sources/posts for some info?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Nigerian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

Speaking of Nigeria- Lagos was originally its own Hong Kong-style British colony separate from Southern Nigeria. It got added and was the capital until the '70s before getting replaced by Abuja, but imagine if it remained independent the entire time, it'd be like if NYC was its own country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_Colony

nigeria's post-independence history has mostly been about ethnic conflict between the big three: hausa, yoruba and igbo, with the yoruba being the 'swing vote' between the other two. it's possible without many of them, biafra would have gone independent sooner and taken their oil with them, or the hausa would have crushed biafra completely. things would be pretty different

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Oh definitely the north/south division in Nigeria is interesting, but I think Lagos being a West African city-state (a super-city at that, it's the most populous metropolis on the continent) would be really fascinating. Though I wonder if it would've been inevitably united with the mainland, like Hong Kong / unlike Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

QUESTION: And just one more. I wonder if you foresee – if that is unsuccessful and the status quo remains, do you see U.S. security cooperation with the government in Niger continuing? I know you’ve spoken to this could have an impact on humanitarian aid and other things, but in terms of the security cooperation, which is a major part of the relationship, is that likely to continue, even if they don’t reverse course?

MR MILLER: Again, I don’t want to go into hypotheticals, because that is an outcome that we hope is not fulfilled. We hope to see the president restored to leadership of the country. He’s the democratically elected president, and all of our work right now is to see him restored.

As Secretary Blinken has made clear, however, there are hundreds of millions of dollars in aid from the United States that are at stake. I don’t want to talk about what specifically we might do if President Bazoum is not restored to authority, but certainly our aid, our assistance is at stake. But again, I think it’s premature to speculate what that might look like at this point.

QUESTION: Follow up on Niger, on that one?

MR MILLER: Yeah.

QUESTION: You guys mentioned – in fact, Kirby again this morning – and you believe there’s a little window of opportunity or – how you want to call it, I’m not sure – for diplomacy and to restore President Bazoum. On what basis are you saying that? What window is this exactly? Because on the ground, things are not going that way at all.

MR MILLER: So it – there is a window. I would say we make those assessments based on the fact we are continuing to have conversations with President Bazoum; other leaders in the region are continuing to have conversations with him. We’re continuing to have conversations with other leaders in Niger. We’ve spoken with the former president and continue to press for the leaders of the – the security leaders who are attempting to seize power, to press for them to restore President Bazoum to his rightful place as the democratically elected leader of the country.

We will pursue that for as long as that possibility remains open. It does remain open today. I wouldn’t want to speculate on how long that might remain open, but as long as it is, we’ll continue to press that case. Because we believe that the democratically elected leader who was chosen by the people ought to be the one who leads the country.

QUESTION: Just a follow up on that.

MR MILLER: Yeah. Let me – yeah, go ahead, Alex.

QUESTION: Just very, very quickly, we all have seen pictures from the weekend, how protesters were waving Russian flags, chanting Putin’s name. Is there any involvement from Russia that you have noticed during past couple of days?

MR MILLER: We have not seen any evidence that Russia was behind this coup, but certainly it would not be out of character for Russia or for the Wagner Group to try to take advantage of instability in this country or any other in Africa.

Go ahead.