Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
this freaking cold open of Zombie 100 ep4

was not rdy for the zombie farts...lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Terry van Feleday posted:

I've actually decided to go back & watch the earlier 3 seasons of Bandori in advance of MyGO and it's been... An interesting experience. The 1st season I just found mediocre all around, after that it gets... Well, structurally it's a bit of a mess, and even as someone who has no beef with CG anime I think it's mostly just kind of ugly, but I find it oddly engaging.

Season 1 sits in a weird spot of being (up until MyGO at least) the most easily digestible series as it's only focusing on one band of five characters, but it's also with the most plain of the groups - a lot of their more interesting bits got shaved off when the franchise was rebooted before the anime and game released. I didn't watch it until a pre-season 2 debut groupwatch because even back then most fans said it wasn't entirely worth the time to watch unless you're a big Poppin'Party fan.
It's fine, and it does hit some emotional beats that MyGO grabs and runs even further with, and is also the only other of the series to give a more live feel to the music performances (seasons 2 and 3 just drop the studio recordings in)
And agreed, even with the introductory episodes of the game-first bands, season 2 ends up messy and the air date gap between it and season 3 due to a delay didn't help the story flow at the time. There's a lot of changes I'd personally do to fix season 2/3 so it flows better, but at the expense of any sort of long introduction to the game-first groups...which honestly D4DJ did with its recent second season and it sort of worked, All Mix had other issues that made me rate it relatively low.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

KariOhki posted:

Season 1 sits in a weird spot of being (up until MyGO at least) the most easily digestible series as it's only focusing on one band of five characters, but it's also with the most plain of the groups - a lot of their more interesting bits got shaved off when the franchise was rebooted before the anime and game released.
I'm actually curious about this since I'm not at all familiar with the history here, can you tell me a bit more about this & what was changed?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

I'm actually curious about this since I'm not at all familiar with the history here, can you tell me a bit more about this & what was changed?

The original story was written as a light novel and adapted into a manga under the title BanG_Dream! (note the underscore) between 2015 and 2016. The overall tone of the series, which only involved Poppin'Party, was darker - Kasumi had more shades of depression over having no real path in life and was bullied, both Arisa and Saya had deceased parents, Tae was more shy, Rimi was a...ninja (I think also not well off financially?).
After the reboot, everything was brightened up somewhat, while each of the characters still had issues finding their way, it wasn't as heavy, with Saya's arc in season 1 regarding her mother's sickness and CHiSPA being as sad as things tend to get. I don't know if there was ever any official reason given for why the franchise got a reboot and the original materials weren't officially translated and also never fully picked up by fans.
MyGO basically takes what Poppin'Party was originally about and follows it completely through, and does so very well.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Dark Gathering ep1 and 2 was good, episode 3 I was kind of losing the vibe.

But episode 4 is getting good again now that the characters are actually doing college things

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GateOfD posted:

this freaking cold open of Zombie 100 ep4

was not rdy for the zombie farts...lol

boring ep tbh

really hoping the gang gets together soon, this one didn't even have the saving grace of introducing a new permanent cast member. it felt like it spent 20 minutes trying to find insight in asking a question that ep 1 raised pretty well on its own already (what do you want to do with your life -> what was your dream)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Erg posted:

boring ep tbh

really hoping the gang gets together soon, this one didn't even have the saving grace of introducing a new permanent cast member. it felt like it spent 20 minutes trying to find insight in asking a question that ep 1 raised pretty well on its own already (what do you want to do with your life -> what was your dream)

It probably didn't help that the eventual tension in the episode wasn't exactly great either. Like, this isn't exactly a serious zombie series so expecting it to be entirely consistent in the presentation of zombies isn't in the cards - and that's entirely fine - but come the gently caress on. You're telling me that after 3 episodes of everyone turning insanely quickly after a single bite, your tension this episode is coming from someone who just magically didn't turn for many hours before immediately flipping at an extremely inconvenient time? To say nothing of the group being incredibly insistent of checking THESE new arrivals for bites, but apparently never bothered to check the other arrival.

From what I know of the series it's mostly up from here, but this definitely came across as something of a low point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Zom 100 is pretty disappointing after that first episode. Probably won't continue watching.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If it didn't end up in "any woman that show any shade of kindness to the protagonist is going to die" i would have been less prone to just drop it. I'm giving it another episode to pull up. On the other end, lv1 demon lord has been spinning its wheels so much i dropped ti.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

On the other end, lv1 demon lord has been spinning its wheels so much i dropped ti.

They stopped spinning their wheels and started moving the plot forwards with the episode that just dropped, lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They stopped spinning their wheels and started moving the plot forwards with the episode that just dropped, lol

Given the current sets of episodes they don't look like they'll pull an interesting le carrè spy story. The worldbuilding is sorta all over the place which is also another item i'm not terribly fond of.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Erg posted:

boring ep tbh

It won’t. At the pace it’s been going it’s going you aren’t going to get the full cast for a bunch of episodes yet. It took a long time for the manga to get the final character.

It’s also going to keep addressing that question but in different situations and with different people and how they think/respond to it. While Akira is free of the company, he still doesn’t know what chasing his dreams looks like and so the show is going to constantly go back to him thinking about how he sees this in others and what he needs to do to get there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dreams: sex with women
how he gets there: gently caress woman
difficulties: women die??? me sad :(
solution: women think like me???
hypothesis: not care women die if not think like me
yaaaaaay

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
still in with Zom 100, like the vehicle on how different people respond to a life threatening crisis like this. in this case, get drunk as hell and some sexy time. there was a small thing where his friend helped to pull him out of a funk at the end where he might not be able to recover as fast.

i don't know why people are expecting this series to be like The Last of Us or something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tekken 3 Xiaoyu had the best ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzhoaqL8jD0

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Err that just shows a verification screen

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I finally got around to starting BanG Dream MyGO and holy poo poo this 1st episode already absolutely rules lmao. 100% living up to the hype and then some

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What did I just watch

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I finally got around to starting BanG Dream MyGO and holy poo poo this 1st episode already absolutely rules lmao. 100% living up to the hype and then some

I’ve watched 5 episodes so far and I’m completely on board.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kwyndig posted:

What did I just watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b77ij3YPadM

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, I don't know what's going on with Helck. It's got this weird schizophrenic vibe where they can't seem to decide what loving genre they are in. The audio mixing is loving awful in that all the background music/sounds are super muted and feel like you're underwater.
You can barely hear the BG music half the time, even if you're listening for it, which just leads to that weird feeling empty quiet vibe when it's apparently supposed to be a high-stakes fight.

It feels, like, super cheap and scattershot.

I really am not getting why people were so excited for this show at all.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It was always misplaced hype coming from people liking the source material, which itself isn't something I'd call consistent in tone early on or groundbreaking generally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nobody does it like Tekken.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

The audio mixing is loving awful in that all the background music/sounds are super muted and feel like you're underwater.
You can barely hear the BG music half the time, even if you're listening for it, which just leads to that weird feeling empty quiet vibe when it's apparently supposed to be a high-stakes fight.

I mean, these aspects weren't exactly part of the manga

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GateOfD posted:

still in with Zom 100, like the vehicle on how different people respond to a life threatening crisis like this. in this case, get drunk as hell and some sexy time. there was a small thing where his friend helped to pull him out of a funk at the end where he might not be able to recover as fast.

i don't know why people are expecting this series to be like The Last of Us or something

I don’t want it to be like the last of us, I want it to be fun like the first 2.5 eps

like the low point of this show so far was spending 5 minutes trying to make some poignant death scene out of a girl who clearly existed to just spoon feed the theme of the ep

The op makes it so obvious which characters you’re supposed to care about that it deflated any chance that scene had of landing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I don't know what's going on with Helck. It's got this weird schizophrenic vibe where they can't seem to decide what loving genre they are in. The audio mixing is loving awful in that all the background music/sounds are super muted and feel like you're underwater.

people who read the manga know what happens in it and know it's good, while the anime adaptation apparently is floundering

It's like lucifer and the biscuit hammer, good source material, subpar adaptation. It's not that big a mystery.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

caught up with everything this afternoon

zom 100 hasn't ever really done anything as interesting or fun as it could have with the idea of its lead being happy about living through a zombie apocalypse because of being in a black company and i viewed the problems of the last episode as just more of the same in that regard. it looks great and the concept is fun, but i think it's worse than it feels like it should be, which is a bummer.

the last episode of helck was rougher than the rest (some of the shots of people flying where they just kinda slid static images of characters around the screen were really bad) but i'm kind of interested in what happens next after the portal and it's just barely good enough for me to blow 20 minutes of my life on. should probably just read the manga.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I don't know what's going on with Helck. It's got this weird schizophrenic vibe where they can't seem to decide what loving genre they are in.

Production stuff aside, this was always my worry with any possible adaptation--Helck veers between silly gags and shonen action, sometimes in the same scene, and while it's effective in the manga it's probably tough to pull off in animation. If you find that contrast offputting, it's not going to get any better.

quote:

We liked the manga and wanted to be optimistic...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

dreams: sex with women
how he gets there: gently caress woman
difficulties: women die??? me sad :(
solution: women think like me???
hypothesis: not care women die if not think like me
yaaaaaay

lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Helck was okay this week. Some of those zoom out shots from the winged warrior dude were kinda jank though, really blurry up close before they panned back.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

people who read the manga know what happens in it and know it's good, while the anime adaptation apparently is floundering

It's like lucifer and the biscuit hammer, good source material, subpar adaptation. It's not that big a mystery.

So it's another garbage adaption? Sigh...why am I not surprised.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
later on the manga gets into very flashy, large scale battles and i do not think this adaptation can handle it. oh well, it's watchable at least.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's helck with average animation. it's nowhere near as busted as what i saw of the biscuit hammer anime

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Agronox posted:

We liked the manga and wanted to be optimistic...

It's this, nothing more complicated going on. I'm still enjoying the show and will continue watching because it's not offensively bad it's just not amazing.

Tales of Woe posted:

it's helck with average animation. it's nowhere near as busted as what i saw of the biscuit hammer anime

...yet :ohdear:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'll give the Helck manga a shot instead of the anime. I don't want to dislike it and since this one got such gushing praise I'm willing to give the other medium a shot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the Helck manga is good, but you also have to recognize the praise for it as being a product of the excitement of when it was coming out at a rate of like a chapter a day, particularly during a very memorable and important part of the story. It's as much the memory of the experience as the quality of the story itself. Still a good read though, and the general art style is one of my favorites. The art style is simple but with sufficient detail and uniqueness to characters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

It's this. The Helck adaptation is low budget, but for the most part the scene composition and directing is competent if nothing flashy. Biscuit Hammer failed at even these basic things, lacked basic weight and momentum, among other issues.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

I think the Helck manga is good, but you also have to recognize the praise for it as being a product of the excitement of when it was coming out at a rate of like a chapter a day, particularly during a very memorable and important part of the story. It's as much the memory of the experience as the quality of the story itself. Still a good read though, and the general art style is one of my favorites. The art style is simple but with sufficient detail and uniqueness to characters.

I finished reading it again a while and the story holds up and was still amazing. This whole convo reminds me of an anituber noticing an unsual trend recently where even when seasons are stacked, discussion for shows is very lukewarm and shows that would normaly get 1k upvotes and hundreds of comments barely break those at times. I think lack of quality control in terms of adaptions for anything that isn't already a behemoth seller(and even then that's not a guarantee) isva huge factor.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
There’s always been lack of quality control on stuff. We got absolute garbage back in the day as well. It’s just that there’s that much more of it. So not only are your chances of things going wonky better, but people don’t chat as much because you can only comment so much on generic isekai #217. Then you actually have keep up with the shows you want to watch, so yeah, there’s not a lot of discussion unless the show is really good and warrants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Yeah Helck translations came out at the rate of like a chapter a day early on which made it a pretty breezy experience. The show has at this point spent 4 weeks on not-exactly-revolutionary genre parody stuff and medium-burn "Helck is a good boy with mysterious past, Vamirio is suspicious" mystery-building but Helck himself is still kind of a cipher which means most of your investment is gonna depend on how much tolerance for the genre parody stuff you have, how much you're willing to care about the mystery for its own sake and how charmed you are by Helck's innate good boy-ness.
Aside from that most of the love for Helck is mostly just "charming genre parody that takes a serious turn and has a surprising amount of heart," if you're not into the first couple episodes then I dunno that the show's necessarily gonna do anything to change your mind but I do think the cast quickly grow into characters worth caring about. Also it does this revolutionary thing where the male and female lead are friends and their developing relationship and respect for each other forms the emotional core of the entire story and that's it they're just friends.

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 2, 2023