Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Toalpaz posted:

https://rabble.ca/columnists/whats-the-big-deal-about-olivia-chow-biking-to-city-hall-anyways/

😩 She's going to turn TTC trains and busses into bike lanes and BCV(bike carrying vehicles) lanes...

quote:

What she does as Mayor is yet to be determined, but it takes one to know one – it takes a public transit user to truly understand and empathize how service cuts will make life harder for people; and it takes a cyclist to know how the city needs to evolve to nudge people in their transition from cars to bikes.

I don't generally disagree, but John Tory rode the subway daily and, well, you see where that got us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If you have any influence over public transit policy you should be legally forbidden from being in a car, full stop.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Adenoid Dan posted:

Policing is not a particularly dangerous job

Apparently my job, or at least being a commercial pilot in general, is more dangerous.

The understanding that Jesus is not a suitable co-pilot has saved me from a few problems so far, mind you. That can apparently be quite deadly :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Counterpoint: car drivers, if we were clever, would be the most in favour of superior public transit and cycling options. When I'm driving because transit isn't an option, I'm not thinking "wow it's the busses and bikes causing the problem here." No sir; it's clearly too many loving people in cars. Get them all out of my way, I'll happily pay extra to make it happen.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Mad Hamish posted:

If you have any influence over public transit policy you should be legally forbidden from being in a car, full stop.

This is a terrible idea. An experienced motorist will know about what situations pedestrians and cyclists become hard to see. Removing that knowledge from the process of designing cycling and pedestrian infrastructure would get a lot more people killed.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Do coworkers ever ride share anymore?

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Fornax Disaster posted:

This is a terrible idea. An experienced motorist will know about what situations pedestrians and cyclists become hard to see. Removing that knowledge from the process of designing cycling and pedestrian infrastructure would get a lot more people killed.

I mean, the people who have influence over policy are not the ones doing the actual design of roads and intersections where those types of issues come up and are addressed. Policymakers create the framework and then the engineers and planners at the staff level figure out how to safely implement the policies. Plus, in my experience, city councillors who live without cars are the most eager to hear about ways to keep pedestrians and cyclists safe from vehicles.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Fornax Disaster posted:

Because the way things are set up right now is so safe?

Did you read what I posted, the part about public transit?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The real problem with the conflicts between modes of transport is that people see themselves as one or the other. Sometimes I walk, sometimes I drive, sometimes I take transit. All of the above should be convenient and safe, though when it comes down to it, the convenience of driving should yield to the other two, because I'm sitting in an air-conditioned box which goes fast and has a great sound system, and I can wait a bit while being quite comfortable.

I'd also say that the standard of proficiency required of someone who is licensed to operate a vehicle weighing thousands of pounds, at high speeds, is simply inexcusably low. It's ridiculous, and the penalties for not doing so lawfully at all times are basically non-existent because we have no enforcement. It's deplorable, and I can't understand how anyone (drivers included) can support it, as it puts everyone at risk.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're waiting for the boomers to die before they come for the trucks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tax cars by the fourth power of weight, IMHO. It is known.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Fornax Disaster posted:

This is the dumbest take I've seen in a while.

Given the number of people walking and on bikes that are hit by people in cars I don't think there's much knowledge to be gleaned from them. Anybody who rides a bike frequently is already acutely aware of when they are in danger (roughly 95% of the time) and when they are seen. Also yeah, politicians aren't designing infrastructure, wut.

Maybe this was a joke post? Now I'm not sure.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

"That pedestrian just leaped out into the road!"

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The majority of households in Toronto have at least one car. Excluding a majority of the people in a city from making decisions about the city’s transportation is a deeply unserious idea, and completely undemocratic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

"That pedestrian just leaped out into the road!"

So many people walk around distracted by headphones, cell phones, etc. that I have seen many pedestrians try to cross the road without ensuring that it is safe to do so first.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Fornax Disaster posted:

The majority of households in Toronto have at least one car. Excluding a majority of the people in a city from making decisions about the city’s transportation is a deeply unserious idea, and completely undemocratic.

Deeply unserious to expect the people running a system to have some personal understanding of it and reliance on it.

There's even a management term for it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 2, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Amazing news cycle going around as Trudeau pedantically points out that housing isn't a primary responsibility, but goes on to say that it's something the government is going to help out in, people get pissed off as Trudeau appears to be backing off responsibility for the housing crisis, and now Poilievre comes right out and says the opposite, that housing is a federal responsibility.

The incredible thing is looking all over not a peep from any of the usual talking heads that go on and on about provincial jurisdiction and the constitution.

Imagine if Singh had come out instantly with the same message. There'd have been a deluge of people saying that Singh just doesn't get it and once again he's confused about the constitution etc etc.

Following through on this incredible double standard here, CBC puts out an article this morning musing, hm maybe Poilievre is right.

Singh has been pushing this message for years, being mocked the whole time, in a moment where he could have pushed the idea further he held back, and now Poilievre is lapping up the new growing support for the message. Just incredible and depressing stuff for the orange team this morning I'm sure.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

. Just incredible and depressing stuff for the orange team this morning I'm sure.

Felt this way since Jack passed and further reinforced when the UCP beat out the ANDP. You get used to it if you've supported them long enough

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

Car drivers need municipal representation as much as middle class white guys do.

We don't really need the perspective of people who primarily drive everywhere to weigh in on transportation and city planning. Particularly if we care about making more climate friendly cities, the comfort of personal vehicles should be pretty low on the list.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Car drivers need municipal representation as much as middle class white guys do.

We don't really need the perspective of people who primarily drive everywhere to weigh in on transportation and city planning. Particularly if we care about making more climate friendly cities, the comfort of personal vehicles should be pretty low on the list.

I'll start taking drivers and their concerns seriously as soon as they start actually looking before making a turn and stop just ploughing through a crosswalk while screaming "get out of the way, human being" at me for the crime of trying to legally cross the street, TIA.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Oxyclean posted:

Most people who have cars in Toronto use multiple modes of transit. My wife and I drive to the grocery store and her parents' house in Windsor; I bike everywhere else and she walks or takes TTC. I'm very invested in improving bike infrastructure, but I also think the city would gain a lot by fixing the traffic situation. I don't think those views are at all incompatible.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1686776656709533711

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

McGavin posted:

So many people walk around distracted by headphones, cell phones, etc. that I have seen many pedestrians try to cross the road without ensuring that it is safe to do so first.

So many people drive around distracted by their phones, built in car computers etc. that I am almost hit on a daily basis as they turn, merge or cross intersections without it being safe to do so.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I can’t wait to see what divorced dad era Trudeau is capable of.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, we're hosed - Conservatives getting in no matter what now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Because of this?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

More than car owners, the vast majority of households in Toronto have at least one person with legs that they use to walk. Excluding a majority of the people in a city from making decisions about the city’s transportation is a deeply unserious idea, and completely in democratic.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Vintersorg posted:

Well, we're hosed - Conservatives getting in no matter what now.

I hope Justin buys a Harley and gets a funky new haircut

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I hope Justin buys a Harley and gets a funky new haircut

He should buy a boat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

infernal machines posted:

Because of this?

Rumours of infidelity but who knows.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Finally, all those freedom convoy people who have those big gently caress TRUDEAU stickers on their jacked-up Dodge Rams will be able to have ethical and extremely gay sex with Justin Trudeau.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Freeland sees her chance at the brass ring. Just had to get JT out of the picture.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Because of this?

Do you really, truly think that as a country, at this moment in time, this won’t lead to political fallout?

Then again, if Bill Clinton could get away with personal scandal mostly unscathed, maybe Trudeau can, too. Then again, Hillary never left him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sitchensis posted:

Do you really, truly think that as a country, at this moment in time, this won’t lead to political fallout?

I think this, like the sun rising in the east and the changing of the seasons, will result in a bunch of hooting and howling from the usual suspects who would scream for Trudeau's resignation over a stray leaf falling.

Whether there's anything more to it than that, whether it develops into something the less frothing mad Candian cares about, IDK. Literally all that I've seen so far is that they've announced a separation.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The likelihood of consequences depends rather strongly on what he actually did. Like imagine if he repeatedly wore blackface as an adult, that would be wild.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Trudeau survived it being found that he was a serial blackface wearer. Plus anyone conservative enough to care that much about the sanctity of marriage well, they'd be voting Con anyway. If this affects him it will be on his own mental/emotional fortitude. Divorce rate in Canada is relatively high, this will only stand out for people trying to make it stand out.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

sitchensis posted:

Then again, if Bill Clinton could get away with personal scandal mostly unscathed, maybe Trudeau can, too. Then again, Hillary never left him.

I mean no disrespect with this, but you should probably log off and go outside.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Capitalise on the divorce and become a slick ladies man. Worked for his dad. Maybe a trip to Cuba

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PMO statement says they've already signed a separation agreement, so this is a done deal. I don't expect to hear any drama or salacious details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001