Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The stupidity of these people is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

He'd recuse and it'd be a 5-3 ruling. C'mon now.

On the other hand the supreme court is on a real 'you can't loving tell us to have ethics' binge as of late.

I agree with the other poster tho. 5-4 with Roberts desperately trying to cling to the concept of legacy and legitimacy.

Lammasu posted:

The stupidity of these people is astounding.

John Oliver quoted it for a completely different scandal but 'stupid watergate' really is the catch all for every trump scandal.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DTurtle posted:

There is a sentence on page 25 that could be read to mean that Co-Conspirator 6 is male, so not Ginni Thomas.

No, unless, I'm missing another sentence that references #6, that preceding 'him' refers to Co-conspirator #1.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Trump has lost all his Supreme court election cases by 7-2 or 8-1. Why would this be different?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

DTurtle posted:

There is a sentence on page 25 that could be read to mean that Co-Conspirator 6 is male, so not Ginni Thomas.

No there isn’t. I just checked.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Trump has lost all his Supreme court election cases by 7-2 or 8-1. Why would this be different?

Because it would involve criminal charges against a sitting Justice's wife.

To be real, I don't think that they'd actually do it. I really would like to think it'd be 7-1 or whatever slam dunk with Thomas recusing, but the fact that I'm nervous when I make the joke is unsettling in the same way that I feel weird thinking back to dinner with my parents where I joked about how trump should win the nomination for the easy slam dunk victory.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

also, to be clear, a conviction by a jury in the most significant political trial (in possibly all of american history? up there, at least) is not just a thing to arbitrarily overturn even for those people. the ways you can do it are a lot tougher than some general case about constitutional or administrative law where the president's authority is being tested

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Was Guiliani always this stupid? I mean he looked kind of competent during 9/11. But I couldn't sleep so I stayed up all night watching Animal Planet so my perceptions could be skewed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

#6 is either Stone or Bannon and I know which one is more likely to have the private numbers of the five most relevant GOP senators

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What is the deal with this Mystery 6 nonsense anyway? Why are they anonymous and why are they unindicted? Does it mean they won't be indicted, that they're still being investigated (which can't be true since the grand jury wrapped up, didn't it), that they might be, is it a "hey fuckers we know who you are and we're coming for you, last chance to flip" warning shot?

Lammasu posted:

Was Guiliani always this stupid? I mean he looked kind of competent during 9/11. But I couldn't sleep so I stayed up all night watching Animal Planet so my perceptions could be skewed.
No, he absolutely was not. There was a time when he was an incredibly skilled politician and extremely mentally sharp, regardless of if you agreed with his politics or not. His decline has been truly something to witness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
With how blatant Clarence Thomas has been in the past is there really any consequence if it does end up being his wife and for whatever reason the thing ends up in the supreme court and he doesn't recuse himself. It seems he thinks of himself as untouchable and able to do whatever the gently caress he wants and no one has really proven him wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lammasu posted:

at one point he was a very competent lawyer/prosecutor but at some point some combination of age, brain problems, alcohol, and drugs melted his brain and here we are

E: some of the unindicted conspirators have to be indicted in the future, this poo poo is bonkers. I guess they didn't want to give Trump warning about the details of this bombshell?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lammasu posted:

He literally has brain damage from hitting his head after a fall while drunk.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lammasu posted:

Yes. He went after the Italian mafia because he was conspiring with the Russian mafia.

He put his disaster emergency command centre at the same block that was the site of the biggest disaster in US history in the 21st century.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

at one point he was a very competent lawyer/prosecutor but at some point some combination of age, brain problems, alcohol, and drugs melted his brain and here we are
Also 9/11 broke a lot of people's brains and I think he was one of them, albeit in a unique manner as what really got to him was being America's Mayor. That much national adulation is a hell of a drug to have to go cold turkey from for the rest of your life and you can already see how much it's withered him by the time he's getting his entire political career ended by "a noun, a verb, and 9/11".

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i think that last one is the reconstruction era law and people are going to be telling you, technically accurately, that it potentially carries the death penalty if anyone died in the attempt (up to five people did)

Link to this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CapnAndy posted:

What is the deal with this Mystery 6 nonsense anyway? Why are they anonymous and why are they unindicted? Does it mean they won't be indicted, that they're still being investigated (which can't be true since the grand jury wrapped up, didn't it), that they might be, is it a "hey fuckers we know who you are and we're coming for you, last chance to flip" warning shot?

No, he absolutely was not. There was a time when he was an incredibly skilled politician and extremely mentally sharp, regardless of if you agreed with his politics or not. His decline has been truly something to witness.

Unindicted co-conspirator just means they haven't been charged with a crime, but they were involved with the criminal acts and their statements can be used as evidence against the indicted conspirator.

There have been court rulings that say that naming them without charging them is a violation of their due process, so they don't explicitly name co-conspirators if they aren't being indicted as part of the same charges.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

No, unless, I'm missing another sentence that references #6, that preceding 'him' refers to Co-conspirator #1.

Xiahou Dun posted:

No there isn’t. I just checked.
This is what I meant:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Jules used to have a bit of a brain in him, yeah. He was always a bit of a clown once you scraped away the topmost layer, but the man just imploded in the mid 2000s and I am convinced he suffered serious psychic damage from being burned, by Joe Biden of all people, with the whole 'it takes him three things to make a sentence, a noun, a verb, and 9/11"

Realtalk though he appears to have serious substance abuse issues and I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't trying to walk the us into a fascist dictatorship.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unindicted co-conspirator just means they haven't been charged with a crime, but they were involved with the criminal acts and their statements can be used as evidence against the indicted conspirator.

There have been court rulings that say that naming them without charging them is a violation of their due process, so they don't explicitly name co-conspirators if they aren't being indicted as part of the same charges.
Yes, I know what an unindicted co-conspirator is, sorry. "Why aren't they being indicited as part of the same charges" is what I was trying to ask.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, I know what an unindicted co-conspirator is, sorry. "Why aren't they being indicited as part of the same charges" is what I was trying to ask.

Nobody knows! The usual reason is because they are immunized through cooperation and testimony, but I don't think that applies to any of them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Link to this?

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

-

I doubt it meaningfully applies here since no way they charge that, but you can make the direct argument that traitor lady died as a result of his actions.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DTurtle posted:

This is what I meant:

That he doesn't necessarily refer to #6.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Caros posted:

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

-

I doubt it meaningfully applies here but lawl all the same.

Well...

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1686501910298361859

Caros
May 14, 2008

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Edit:

:confused: - Your Honor... Insurrection?

:commissar: DEATH.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Caused 5 deaths and there was attempt to kidnap... just saying

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Lammasu posted:

He was always incompetent. The reason you saw him at all during the morning of 9/11 was because he incompetently put the emergency crisis center in the WTC, against good advice.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Caused 5 deaths and there was attempt to kidnap... just saying
Multiple attempts to kidnap. If you want to go for the death penalty, which I somewhat doubt they do, it looks like there's ample justification.

Also that law reads like it's anti-Klan legislation, which, lmao, so loving fitting.

Independence posted:

He was always incompetent. The reason you saw him at all during the morning of 9/11 was because he incompetently put the emergency crisis center in the WTC, against good advice.
No, come on, dude used to know how to work. Times Square was his doing, you can throw many names at him, but not incompetence.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The conspirators are not indicted in this case because if they were all included it would never make it to trial before the election. This indictment is strictly USA vs. Trump, not "Trump et. al.

Expect them to be charged separately but definitely expect them to be charged with something.

Also, woo motherfucking hoo.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

The conspirators are not indicted in this case because if they were all included it would never make it to trial before the election. This indictment is strictly USA vs. Trump, not "Trump et. al.

Expect them to be charged separately but definitely expect them to be charged with something.

Or all or some of them have completely flipped

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

yeah given the gravity of the crimes described here (and my assumption that prosecutors don't describe crimes in indictments they wouldn't really, really like to prosecute later), it seems like the easiest answer is severing their cases from Trump's is economical.

at least 2-3 of them also have unique questions of law/fact about their status as his attorney (and if they were his attorneys) that would only slow poo poo down

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CapnAndy posted:

Multiple attempts to kidnap. If you want to go for the death penalty, which I somewhat doubt they do, it looks like there's ample justification.

Also that law reads like it's anti-Klan legislation, which, lmao, so loving fitting.

No, come on, dude used to know how to work. Times Square was his doing, you can throw many names at him, but not incompetence.

yeah the odds of the death penalty actually being imposed are nil but I mentioned it because it's going to come up until this all plays out

it's a reconstruction era law because white people were constantly trying to overthrow elections by force and, well, frequently succeeded post Andrew Johnson

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nice

https://twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/1686523764975058945

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CapnAndy posted:

he was never an 'incredibly skilled politician' and not even people who like the guy would've said that about him lol, he was always a walking pile of bad judgement. extremely mentally sharp is also kind of a stretch. his main virtue as a public servant, such as he was, was that he was effective at a handful of specific things for a while. maybe he was 'extremely mentally sharp' in the 80s, albeit idk how much mental sharpness was the key ingredient of some high profile mob cases at a time when nyc was particularly over dealing with mob bullshit, but by the 90s eh all the seeds of modern giuliani were already in the soil growing.

he was however extremely in the right place at the right time to become briefly nationally prominent

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 2, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
WaPo has their list of conspirators up. They are going with :shrug: on 6, but the other five are as expected. Giuliani, Eastman, Powell, Clark, Chesebro, and ????

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

this is a very fun interview btw

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Or all or some of them have completely flipped
No matter what they offered to the DoJ, I submit all of them will be indicted with something.

Every single one of the 6. I might be wrong about one (who actually is #6?) but given the crimes in this speaking indictment (not to mention those that may come out later in a superseding indictment like just happened in the Espionage Act case) I am confident they are all going to face charges.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
#4 definitely has to be indicted.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stan Woodward is about to be representing a lot more folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

#4 definitely has to be indicted.