Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

a seagull posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, before a couple of weeks ago plantar fasciitis was just some weird thing that happened to other people, and I am now fully aware of what it is and I'm not happy about it.

get a lacrosse ball and roll your feet with it. it’s cheaper than whatever other poo poo people will try to sell you and it’ll do the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a seagull posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, before a couple of weeks ago plantar fasciitis was just some weird thing that happened to other people, and I am now fully aware of what it is and I'm not happy about it.

Next up:

Waiting for GOUT.DOT

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Gout is no joke. I've got a genetic predisposition to gout/kidney stones (my dad gets one or two stones a year even on an aggressive diet for it) and gout is basically just a few days of absolute hell and hobbling around. First happened when I was 23 years old. There's a medieval image of a demon gnawing on a toe, and it's is very very accurate. It's like you have glass embedded in the meat around your joint.

So good luck goons, don't eat stuff high in purines like organ meats. Or tuna. Or green leafy vegetables.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

a seagull posted:

This was me but with bunions.

Wear good fitting shoes everybody!

Edit: gout too. gently caress I haven’t had it in a few years but hope to never go through that again

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Aug 1, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Gout is no joke. I've got a genetic predisposition to gout/kidney stones (my dad gets one or two stones a year even on an aggressive diet for it) and gout is basically just a few days of absolute hell and hobbling around. First happened when I was 23 years old. There's a medieval image of a demon gnawing on a toe, and it's is very very accurate. It's like you have glass embedded in the meat around your joint.

So good luck goons, don't eat stuff high in purines like organ meats. Or tuna. Or green leafy vegetables.

If it's the picture I'm thinking of, it's not exactly mediæval.

Anyway beer is still the #1 cause.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh I thought it's origin was that era. My mistake.

And yeah, alcohol is the biggest culprit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I should get a nice print of that, now I look at it. To remind me.

e: From a patient's point of view, I think it made no difference whether you had gout in the middle ages or in Victorian times: no cortisone not to mention allopurinol, right?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

a couple months ago I was humming Aerosmith's Fever, and I suddenly realized what "we're all here, cuz we're not all there tonight" means. It doesn't mean "we're all here instead of over there." It means, "we're all here because we're mentally unstable due to drugs and alcohol."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My wife developed plantar fasciitis maybe two years ago, just switching to more supportive sneakers when going out and having supportive inside shoes pretty much fixed it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Insoles helped my traumatic plantar fascitis. That and deciding not to jump down from 2m onto concrete for a while.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
For a while?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Tree Bucket posted:

For a while?

Being real life Q*bert has its disadvantages.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Thanks for all the tips. Gonna try all of them.

Having your body go "lol gently caress you" suuuuuucks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Once it recovers a little, you gotta work out that area so it doesn't happen again

Stand still and slowly go up and down on your tiptoes. 20 reps every morning, stretch out the tendon

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

a seagull posted:

Having your body go "lol gently caress you" suuuuuucks.

Let me tell you about arthritis!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I should get a nice print of that, now I look at it. To remind me.

e: From a patient's point of view, I think it made no difference whether you had gout in the middle ages or in Victorian times: no cortisone not to mention allopurinol, right?

Honestly it's not too different these days either. Allopurinol can reduce it by a few days, but it can also make it crystallize harder for a day and make it feel much much worse. And if you're in the US (only experience I have, may be the same elsewhere) it's contingent on your doctor getting it to the pharmacy quickly and without trying to make you shove your feels-like-it's-full-of-glass foot into a shoe to drive to their office to verify 'yep that's gout'. The actual flare only lasts 2-3 days usually (for me at least) then it's just the meat around your joint recovering from being macerated internally.

The only big shift is better knowledge of how to reduce purines in your diet. Avoiding beer was known back even in the Middle Ages I think, but if you're mid-flare up, eating the wrong diet can extend it.

edit: edited

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Aug 2, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, no doctor here would presrcibe Allopurinol to a patient who's having a gout attack. It's meant to be used as a preventative, not curative. The standard (nowadays, although old and bad doctors won't know it) is a short oral corticosteroid course in diminishing doses, whatever strong anti-inflammatory pain-killer the doctor thinks works (it'll be :wrong: anyway), and loads of water or milk. If it's like middle ages -bad, I guess they'll do a cortisone injection. 1½-2 weeks after the attack has subsided (if there is doubt) they'll check your bloodwork to actually diagnose gout, and prescribe Allopurinol if you're a dumb-rear end like me who fucks up several times a year.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Aug 2, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Let me tell you about arthritis!

:same: :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's normal to put both salt and pepper on a fried egg, but not on a boiled egg.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, no doctor here would presrcibe Allopurinol to a patient who's having a gout attack. It's meant to be used as a preventative, not curative. The standard (nowadays, although old and bad doctors won't know it) is a short oral corticosteroid course in diminishing doses, whatever strong anti-inflammatory pain-killer the doctor thinks works (it'll be :wrong: anyway), and loads of water or milk. If it's like middle ages -bad, I guess they'll do a cortisone injection. 1½-2 weeks after the attack has subsided (if there is doubt) they'll check your bloodwork to actually diagnose gout, and prescribe Allopurinol if you're a dumb-rear end like me who fucks up several times a year.

Good info! I haven't had one in ages, so I clearly got mixed up about how to fix it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's normal to put both salt and pepper on a fried egg, but not on a boiled egg.

We always used to put cinnamon on them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Until you got arrested for food crimes?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Both?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

Sweet sundae Ramen style eggs

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Boiled, fried and poached.

I think it was a Lebanese thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Boiled, fried and poached.

I think it was a Lebanese thing

I eat a lot of cinnamon, but I can't imagine the taste with just egg.

I guess I'll have to try come time to break fast.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess I'll have to try come time to break fast.

1 ewwwwww
2 coming on an egg after it’s been cooked kind of defeats the purpose

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Never happy with the amount of eggwhites,

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Until you got arrested for food crimes?

They used to, and they will continue to do as well, inshallah.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get thicker bread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Monkey posted:

Honestly it's not too different these days either. Allopurinol can reduce it by a few days, but it can also make it crystallize harder for a day and make it feel much much worse. And if you're in the US (only experience I have, may be the same elsewhere) it's contingent on your doctor getting it to the pharmacy quickly and without trying to make you shove your feels-like-it's-full-of-glass foot into a shoe to drive to their office to verify 'yep that's gout'. The actual flare only lasts 2-3 days usually (for me at least) then it's just the meat around your joint recovering from being macerated internally.

The only big shift is better knowledge of how to reduce purines in your diet. Avoiding beer was known back even in the Middle Ages I think, but if you're mid-flare up, eating the wrong diet can extend it.

edit: edited

came across a 1600s ointment for gout the other day: boil pigeon poo poo in old beer until it becomes a porridge, then wrap it around the affected area

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Stand still and slowly go up and down on your tiptoes. 20 reps every morning, stretch out the tendon

This is harder than I thought, but then I am very fat. At first I kept my hands on the wall for support but then I got to thinking wobbling to keep balance is probably also good for all the little ankle-things (science term invented by doctors)?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Okay, but like, wtf. I read that, I'm hammered, smoking a cigarette in one hand and poo poo posting in the other, and I got bored before I got tired or ran out of gas. Is putting yourself on your tip toes really that hard for goons?

Edit: somewhere around 100 I tipped over and almost ate poo poo. I guess that's schade. Caught the fence and rebalanced myself and gave up.

Ironhead has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Aug 3, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ironhead posted:

Okay, but like, wtf. I read that, I'm hammered, smoking a cigarette in one hand and poo poo posting in the other, and I got bored before I got tired or ran out of gas. Is putting yourself on your tip toes really that hard for goons?

It's not a fitness exercise, it's a stretch. Also it's not putting yourself on your tip toes so :shrug:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just found out that Quisp was a real cereal. I always thought it was fictional. Turns out I had conflated it with Twip, a joke brand that was the subject of fake ads on TV Land in the 90s. The fake ads ran alongside actual old ads for Quisp. I was a kid and I thought it was all made up!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And apparently it had a related cereal, Quake, with a construction worker theme. My mom was super nostalgic for those cereals for some reason.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
crispy critters cereal complete with Jimmy Durante mascot was apparently real too.

Quarry was still a joke, right?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

came across a 1600s ointment for gout the other day: boil pigeon poo poo in old beer until it becomes a porridge, then wrap it around the affected area

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

5TonsOfFlax posted:

crispy critters cereal complete with Jimmy Durante mascot was apparently real too.

Those things were a staple when I was a kid, I have a lot of nostalgia for them even though they were on the bland/mushy side as far as kids' cereals went.

I also found out that this family company is the top search result for the phrase, I know what they meant but all I can picture is flamethrower-based pest removal :v: