Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If i remember correctly one of the endings in the anime had a beach scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
There was a beach trip with Aoki and his girlfriend during the Bryan Hawk preparatory period. So that like 25 years ago?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. You guys called it.

Chapter 1429

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Mashiba morbed all over those guys.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
It's Shibin' time

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Great chapter

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
its kinda funny that Mashiba's inner demon is just whole rear end Sawamura

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Can't tell if we're heading towards a dark passenger / Jojo setup or something internal being unleashed like a 9 tail demon fox 🦊

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
mashibas development into an honorable man is cool. mori's always treated him narratively with respect i think, even when he "cheated" against miyata it was framed as a manifestation of his desire to win for kumi rather than a personal failing. but especially in the last few hundred chapters i like that he's sort of actualizing himself

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1430

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:stare:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Mashiba did nothing wrong

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that dude said the wrong thing :ohno:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Wild to be revisiting Mashiba's backstory 30 something years later.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You know, after all he’s been through, I say we let him murder Ippo once. Just once, as a treat

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah that dude said the wrong thing :ohno:

loving right

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CharlestonJew posted:

You know, after all he’s been through, I say we let him murder Ippo once. Just once, as a treat

Keeping Ippo and Miytata from ever getting to fight is worse than anything he could physically do to Ippo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

god drat

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm rereading the beginning of the manga (or maybe reading it for the first time? I may have only watched the anime of the beginning), and a couple things I've noticed:

1. Ippo is absolutely in love with Miyata. When his mom advises him to think of his opponent as having a fish's head, Ippo looks at Miyata and is like "there's no way I could imagine such a handsome man with the head of a fish!" It's also downright comical how, after the big "I challenge you in the future once we're pros!" seen with Ippo and Miyata, literally like a decade+ passes and it still hasn't happened.

2. https://mangadex.org/chapter/e2136523-346a-48ea-bf33-f1e2a321a5e9/16

This page was actually interesting, because I had constant stomach pain for around 24 hours a while back (almost went to the ER, since it was a weird sort of constant dull burning) and I arrived at the exact same solution as Takamura here as a way to reduce the pain (in my case laying face down on top of a pillow). Something about the sensation of pressure helped to distract from the discomfort

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
like what the hell did that moron think it was gonna go when he uttered the words he should not have.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shindragon posted:

like what the hell did that moron think it was gonna go when he uttered the words he should not have.

I feel bad for the one thug in the back that didnt get the chance to say “uhhh I don’t know if we should do that” before he got glory killed

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Doesn't really provide more context on his mindset earlier on but it does emphasize it. He really had a rough time with adults jerking him around. Poor guy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it does feel like my man's on his way out of the story one way or another

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Would be surprised if any character has more than a fight left. Maybe some will get 2.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Coral head threatens to shoot kumi so Mashiba kills him in the ring

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm rereading the beginning of the manga (or maybe reading it for the first time? I may have only watched the anime of the beginning), and a couple things I've noticed:

1. Ippo is absolutely in love with Miyata. When his mom advises him to think of his opponent as having a fish's head, Ippo looks at Miyata and is like "there's no way I could imagine such a handsome man with the head of a fish!" It's also downright comical how, after the big "I challenge you in the future once we're pros!" seen with Ippo and Miyata, literally like a decade+ passes and it still hasn't happened.

2. https://mangadex.org/chapter/e2136523-346a-48ea-bf33-f1e2a321a5e9/16

This page was actually interesting, because I had constant stomach pain for around 24 hours a while back (almost went to the ER, since it was a weird sort of constant dull burning) and I arrived at the exact same solution as Takamura here as a way to reduce the pain (in my case laying face down on top of a pillow). Something about the sensation of pressure helped to distract from the discomfort

I've actually just started watching the anime for the first time, having read the manga multiple times over at this point. I used to think that watching the anime after reading the manga was just a waste of time, I was extremely wrong, especially with this manga. It's been fun revisiting all the old fights and actually seeing them in animation with jet plane noises and an amazing soundtrack.

The coach is really bad, my memory was that he was more useful early on and then things got sillier as time went on. But then I watched him throw rocks at Ippo to train him for Hayami's shotgun, thankfully Takamura and Kimura are there to take him to the beach and teach him how to sway and use his toes. It's interesting to note that a lot of the time it's Ippo or someone else coming up with ideas rather than the coach preparing him properly.

Also I don't know if early Mashiba is really consistent with how he's being shown in this flashback. He's definitely got a sadistic side that shows up early when he's in no sort of threat and he seems pretty accepting of that side of him. I also remembered him cheating more, but outside of stepping on Miyata's foot he hasn't done anything. He didn't even do anything dirty in his fight with Ippo.

I think the anime also introduces Kumi a lot earlier than the manga, Ippo is just immediately smitten by her just riding a bike past him. The way he acts around Kumi and the way he acts around Miyata belong in different series.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel bad for the one thug in the back that didnt get the chance to say “uhhh I don’t know if we should do that” before he got glory killed

Hey do you guys hear that?

Is somebody playing industrial music on their phone or something?

ohfuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ&t=62s

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Coral head threatens to shoot kumi so Mashiba kills him in the ring

Kinda already did that with Sawamura trying to punch her to get Ippo fired up, who eventually gets retired by Mashiba.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
No Mashiba lost that fight because he got dq'd for too much fouling (kind of arbitrary since they were both fouling like crazy) and sawamura retired because he went for a bike ride with a concussion, Mashiba is gonna kill this man, he's gonna punch his head so hard his hair turns normal

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Mashiba lost that fight because he got dq'd for too much fouling (kind of arbitrary since they were both fouling like crazy) and sawamura retired because he went for a bike ride with a concussion, Mashiba is gonna kill this man, he's gonna punch his head so hard his hair turns normal

I coulda swore he was the one who got in a bike crash, but I didn't see it mentioned skimming over his wiki entry. Don't remember them stopping that fight either but it's been decades since I've seen the middle chapters of Ippo so that isn't surprising. Everything from Hawk to a couple of years ago is a blur.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

the opponent is totally gonna make a comment about his sister multiple times in the match

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Wild to be revisiting Mashiba's backstory 30 something years later.

old and busted: dbz kai
new hotness: hni kai

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

They were both fouling, and after the ref gave the last warning, they both knocked each other down. Mashiba got back into fighting shape first, and attacked Sawamura before Sawamura could properly take his fighting pose and the ref said it could continue, even pushing the ref out of the way when he was told to stop, then beating on Sawamura until Sawamura fell out of the ring.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
And he did nothing wrong

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember once someone jabbed to Mashiba about his loss to Sawamura, and he just screamed at them that he crushed Sawamura.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Early manga Miyata is very funny looking - https://mangadex.org/chapter/a015d470-de68-4742-bdcd-69865b8e4b0f/14

edit: Also Mashiba looks like a completely different person https://mangadex.org/chapter/a015d470-de68-4742-bdcd-69865b8e4b0f/16

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The next page on that mashiba link showed me why I was so sure Miyata was rich, and not a 7-11 clerk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other kind of weird/interesting thing about early Ippo is that Ippo himself is basically presented as a complete prodigy at boxing, who almost instantly picks up all skills he is exposed to. Later we learn to think of Ippo as just pushing through damage with his grit until he can make one of his devastating punches connect, but in his second fight with Miyata there's a lot of focus on how fast Ippo's attacks are, with Miyata having trouble avoiding them. And Ippo ends up winning with just 3 months of practice, which is completely nuts.

I choose to interpret this as "early Ippo who is mostly learning from Takamura progresses rapidly in leaps and bounds, and then he starts to stagnate under Kamogawa's terrible instruction."

edit: lmao Kamogawa sucks so much. I'm reading the fight against Kobashi (the second Rookie King tournament fight) and Kobashi is leading Ippo around and draining his stamina. Kamogawa goes "just keep throwing out those punches!", causing Ippo to just do the same thing again and get owned.

Kamogawa then...throws some ice water on Ippo's dick. Ippo literally only wins because Kobashi suddenly got dumb and decided to abandon his strategy to win on points (kinda reminds me of the Gonzalez fight where the only reason Ippo even put up a fight was because Gonzalez suddenly decided to brawl it out).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 3, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Kobashi had so much fun using Ippo as a sandbag that he permanently changed his boxing style

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ytlaya posted:

One other kind of weird/interesting thing about early Ippo is that Ippo himself is basically presented as a complete prodigy at boxing, who almost instantly picks up all skills he is exposed to. Later we learn to think of Ippo as just pushing through damage with his grit until he can make one of his devastating punches connect, but in his second fight with Miyata there's a lot of focus on how fast Ippo's attacks are, with Miyata having trouble avoiding them. And Ippo ends up winning with just 3 months of practice, which is completely nuts.

I choose to interpret this as "early Ippo who is mostly learning from Takamura progresses rapidly in leaps and bounds, and then he starts to stagnate under Kamogawa's terrible instruction."

edit: lmao Kamogawa sucks so much. I'm reading the fight against Kobashi (the second Rookie King tournament fight) and Kobashi is leading Ippo around and draining his stamina. Kamogawa goes "just keep throwing out those punches!", causing Ippo to just do the same thing again and get owned.

Kamogawa then...throws some ice water on Ippo's dick. Ippo literally only wins because Kobashi suddenly got dumb and decided to abandon his strategy to win on points (kinda reminds me of the Gonzalez fight where the only reason Ippo even put up a fight was because Gonzalez suddenly decided to brawl it out).

Kobashi is one of my favourite little dudes too - just throwing out little lovely punches and clinching so you never get a good rhythm going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To connect early Ippo with current Ippo, Hayami is a weird character. Takamura is super impressed by him when they first see him fight, and even says he's better than Miyata in many ways. But after losing to Ippo, Hayami just eats poo poo and loses like 10 times in a row and is still going at it (and losing) in the present.

The recent-ish thing of him showing up was kind of interesting. I guess it was meant as a juxtaposition between Ippo retiring while Hayami is still motivated despite being doomed and losing constantly.

Also, I completely forgot that Kobashi briefly became Japanese champion in a different weight class (where he beat Hayami lol).