Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Tayter Swift posted:

thread title

/edit: I also got a Bastl Timber recently for my birthday, and it's a drat nice wavefolder and distortion. And unlike the Instruo athru, it doesn't have the world's worst noise floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/mutant-brain-plaits-spectraphon

I am really having fun with Spectraphon. This is a DX7 line from plaits being controlled by Gadget on iPad (via Mutant Brain), and then the audio is going to the mix but multed to both sides of spectra, one of which is going through white rabbit.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Does anyone use Session Recall? Be interested if anyone has some long term usage experience. Idea seems great but not sure about the implementation. For example, would be nice to be able to export to a black and white PDF but this doesn't seem possible. I've also encountered a bunch of crashes/exceptions but that might be down to not using it properly. Not sure about the monetization, base program is free but devices range from 3-15 euros depending on size.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17iaTKH8O-s

The butthole IS, in fact, an output. I feel vindicated, it farts at you.

The other output is for some version of built in sidechaining off the input, which I have not completely figured out having failed to locate a copy of the manual.

Butt goes boom, tho. The cutoff and freq knobs do nice stuff but it's all in bassy harmonics and the android mic here didn't really pick up the modulation much. It's an 808 kick with a sidechain and a horrendous 22hp faceplate, what more can I say

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/spectral-unicorn-rear end

I think I'm actually going to end up using this thing, it's basically just Kickain for bronies without an onboard reverb :shrug:

This was sidechaining a single plaits percussive note into Boom at 4x the tempo hitting Boom, and then feeding that into both sides of spectraphon like some kind of god damned unicorn ghost orgy.

I like making ghost/specter/spectral jokes because the thing has a lot of zones that sound disturbingly vocal from very synthetic and harsh input.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Synths and Synthesis: The butthole IS, in fact, an output.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of you guys have a Virus TI2? Would you buy it again today?

I'm thinking of ditching all my monome poo poo and just getting a big poly.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Any of you guys have a Virus TI2? Would you buy it again today?

I'm thinking of ditching all my monome poo poo and just getting a big poly.

I have a TI1 and, no, I would not. I’m also a Mac user and lost the Total Integration back in 2019 cuz I didn’t pay as close attention to my OS updates as I should have.

I think I would’ve rather had a Virus C, but I’ve never played one before. Some people say the C sounds better. :shrug:

Regardless of that, there are softsynths out there that do everything a Virus TI does and sometimes more.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

new aphex twin ep out friends

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I have a TI1 and, no, I would not. I’m also a Mac user and lost the Total Integration back in 2019 cuz I didn’t pay as close attention to my OS updates as I should have.

I think I would’ve rather had a Virus C, but I’ve never played one before. Some people say the C sounds better. :shrug:

Regardless of that, there are softsynths out there that do everything a Virus TI does and sometimes more.

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/

The TI adds more but Access, while not defunct, is not doing anything new or supporting the software because the founder also makes Kemper profiling amps and that’s a pretty hot market.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Thanks for the feedback.

I like the Monome stuff, but there's a lot of fatigue that comes from having to stay up to date with the community, updates breaking scripts and other crap like that.

Might just ditch all my euro and keep the norns around.

I'm hankering for a more plug and play experience.

My M8 is great for sequencing, Nord Drum is a fantastic little drum module, but looking for a poly that maybe has good enough components to get a little better at playing keys.

Maybe should just get a really nice midi controller.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/

The TI adds more but Access, while not defunct, is not doing anything new or supporting the software because the founder also makes Kemper profiling amps and that’s a pretty hot market.

Oh, I'm aware of all the drama surrounding Access and Kemper. The craziest thing is that you can still order brand new TI2's from places like Sweetwater and Guitar Center even though - for all intents and purposes - the poo poo is abandonware.

In fact, I just checked now and they're almost $3000!!! I get inflation, but these things were ~$2200 when they were new, and the TI2 is almost 15 years old!

Just plain gross. :barf:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I know a lot of people like to hate on Chipz and Cellz because they're part of the Niftycase bundle, but Cellz is honestly fun as hell for simple semi-generative sequencing. It's like a tiny, janky Rene. For 50 bucks used it was well worth it.

Haven't heard anything good about Chipz yet though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

I know a lot of people like to hate on Chipz and Cellz because they're part of the Niftycase bundle, but Cellz is honestly fun as hell for simple semi-generative sequencing. It's like a tiny, janky Rene. For 50 bucks used it was well worth it.

Haven't heard anything good about Chipz yet though.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone has a problem with Cellz. Chipz is the one people accuse of being nothing but e-waste.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kind of a slightly less useful apc. If you could feed it negative cv, it would be a lot more useful to me.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Cellz isn't very easy to use (maily tuning) so i ended up getting rid of mine. Chipz is bad but also probably the cheapest osc you can find

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
GAS dat rear end

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

snorch posted:

GAS dat rear end

I've had one of these for a decade or more I really should use it more. As far as I remember there are some really bad flaws with the midi implementation, apparently later versions fixed at least some of them.

Example here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38342

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

CatBlack posted:

Cellz isn't very easy to use (maily tuning) so i ended up getting rid of mine. Chipz is bad but also probably the cheapest osc you can find

lovely little hard to tune sequencers are perfect for modulation

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Are there CV sequencers that don’t require a quantizer if you want things to be in tune?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Boody posted:

I've had one of these for a decade or more I really should use it more. As far as I remember there are some really bad flaws with the midi implementation, apparently later versions fixed at least some of them.

Example here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38342

Yeah, mine only sends MIDI for the "closing hat" sound, instead of separate messages for pedal open and close.

It came off ebay without pedals; I'm using a keyboard sustain pedal for the hihat, and bought a 10-pack of piezo sensors to make a kick trigger. The first version was just the disc sandwiched between cardboard, which I upgraded to a 3D-printed pedal you can tap your foot on once it broke.

After wanting a better kick experience I bought a kick pedal off marketplace and added a hockey puck to the tappy pedal for spacing and good luck. This is the current assembly:

I'll probably post some more updates in the DIY thread.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Are there CV sequencers that don’t require a quantizer if you want things to be in tune?

I think most sequencers have at least semi-tone quantization built in these days.

Despite that having an external quantizer is always a good investment. Sequencer->attenuator->offset->quantize is a powerful combo for jams and performing since you can quickly transform the sequences without fiddling with individual steps. Two summed sequencers running at different rates can be fun too either for longer phrases or for combining two very short sequences to get a lot of complexity out of just a few knobs.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

lovely little hard to tune sequencers are perfect for modulation

I was using it today to do crazy-rear end modulation on my 4MS sampler, feeding the CV into both Sample and Bank so it basically played like a semi-random drum set. And feeding it into a quantizer like o_C makes it cake for jamming.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just had something of a 'eureka moment' about potentially:
- Running a 'live PA' setup using gear I (mostly) already have
- Waxing nostalgic about a piece of gear I used to have that won't necessarily break the bank to re-acquire, and would (next to my DJM) be the centerpiece of said setup
- Facilitate easy synth patch design and saving to the synth from my desktop to the hardware.
- Have my friend (or even just me, if I get the gumption to learn) play live bass guitar as part of the setup
- With the addition of one more piece of relatively-inexpensive gear, trigger loops and samples as part of the set

Maybe this is a question for the DJ thread, or even the live sound thread, but WRT point 4, I'm curious about the 'mic 2' input on a DJM900NXS2. It's a 1/4" jack, so I'm wondering if I need some sort of Solution Box (like a DI but not a DI) to get a bass amp's Line Out into it safely.

gently caress, I want that DJM-V10, it would solve a lot of things. For now, that nostalgic centerpiece I'm scratching up cash for is a Yamaha RM1x.

I am feeling uncharacteristically inspired lately, and in a weird way where I can actually see myself creating stuff on the fly, as opposed to writing in a DAW.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

I just had something of a 'eureka moment' about potentially:
- Running a 'live PA' setup using gear I (mostly) already have
- Waxing nostalgic about a piece of gear I used to have that won't necessarily break the bank to re-acquire, and would (next to my DJM) be the centerpiece of said setup
- Facilitate easy synth patch design and saving to the synth from my desktop to the hardware.
- Have my friend (or even just me, if I get the gumption to learn) play live bass guitar as part of the setup
- With the addition of one more piece of relatively-inexpensive gear, trigger loops and samples as part of the set

Maybe this is a question for the DJ thread, or even the live sound thread, but WRT point 4, I'm curious about the 'mic 2' input on a DJM900NXS2. It's a 1/4" jack, so I'm wondering if I need some sort of Solution Box (like a DI but not a DI) to get a bass amp's Line Out into it safely.

gently caress, I want that DJM-V10, it would solve a lot of things. For now, that nostalgic centerpiece I'm scratching up cash for is a Yamaha RM1x.

I am feeling uncharacteristically inspired lately, and in a weird way where I can actually see myself creating stuff on the fly, as opposed to writing in a DAW.

what kind of bass amp? A lot of bass amps have a direct out on them that's already at mic level (and is frequently an XLR jack) to avoid the need to have a separate DI in the mix, since it's such a common live setup to have both direct and miked bass signals in a mix. Really depends on the amp though, I'm sure it's a feature that is probably gated somewhat by price.

Otherwise a DI will do what you want, they're effectively "take a signal and make it mic level" boxes. Real cheap ones are specifically designed to take an instrument level input, some will have an instrument/line level switch, but honestly there's really not a whole lot to DIs, it's unlikely you will hurt one by putting line level through them and I've done it at venues all the time. Otherwise Radial and probably a few other brands do make DI boxes that are explicitly for stepping down a line level signal to mic level, they're basically just attenuators with transformers in a box.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Right, I actually was a bit drunkposting there and totally forgot that (most) DIs work in reverse - turning line level into mic (or instrument) level, for example for long cable runs from a guitar to an amp - and yeah my work carries plenty of 'solutions boxes' from Radial and ART; I know there's one in there that'll do what I want. The amp is an Ampeg BA210; a quick Google search seems to suggest its XLR Line Out is a line-level output. Thanks!

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So now I'm sort of second-guessing whether I want to go with the classic sequencer approach. Like I said above, I was dicking around on reverb.com and waxing nostalgic about my old Yamaha RM1x - which I bought when I was a child who knew nothing about MIDI. I spent most of my time on that thing just playing with the demo songs; muting and unmuting parts and triggering patterns, not really creating much original work. Last night I was thinking it'd be cool to use it in conjunction with my Virus and KP3, but given that the RM1x's internal sounds are decidedly dated - and I have a penchant for modern, thick drum sounds and backing loops - I feel like I might get frustrated and feel boxed-in.

I'm starting to consider some modern options. Chiefly among them, the Akai Force. I'm already intimately familiar with the Ableton software, and I was sort of thinking it would be cool to be able to build sequences on my desktop and export them to the Force for performance. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? I'm also looking at an SP404mk2, although not necessarily as the centerpiece of the project.

With all of this second-guessing and self-inundation with options, I'm worrying a bit that whatever I end up with, I'll just end up in the same hole of 'building setups/templates but never actually creating any music'. :(

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I just sold my RM1x (that I bought new the year it came out). It is cool, but new boxes do a lot of things much better and can play nice with modern equipment. It was really redundant to my Roland MC707.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's a little cellphone video of my basic rig for messing around with drums and noise with vcv and bento, and a "duh, aha!" realisation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRYPfP7Xr8

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
What's the catch with the behringer pro vs mini, besides behringer being general assholes. A 4 voice 16 osc prophet vs clone for $100 sounds too good to be true

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arms_Akimbo posted:

What's the catch with the behringer... behringer being general assholes... sounds too good to be true

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Arms_Akimbo posted:

What's the catch with the behringer pro vs mini, besides behringer being general assholes. A 4 voice 16 osc prophet vs clone for $100 sounds too good to be true

the worst thing about them is that they announce poo poo like 2 years before its ready

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Paraphonic. This isn't the 'slutz, no cool points for hating the behr.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It remains vapor for the foreseeable future though, like most of the announced stuff. Keeping the hype up until they can sort their poo poo out.
Gets a little fatiguing after a while.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Their easel command clone is coming out any day now I'm sure

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

B33rChiller posted:

It remains vapor for the foreseeable future though, like most of the announced stuff. Keeping the hype up until they can sort their poo poo out.
Gets a little fatiguing after a while.

They did get the Edge out eventually. Thomann and some UK stores seem to think they've have stock of the VS mini later Sep/early Oct.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

W424 posted:

Paraphonic. This isn't the 'slutz, no cool points for hating the behr.

Gearslutz posters are the ones that love Behringer, and want to fully drive Moog out of business for pricing their products too highplatforming women and trans people in their marketing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

look I just want to get a matriarch before moog gets AKG’d, is that so wrong

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

look I just want to get a matriarch before moog gets AKG’d, is that so wrong

American Musical is a moog partner and they do zero credit check interest free financing but this isn’t the Bad With Money thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

What happened w/ that Moog gender discrimination suit? Also did their union ever get recognized?