Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1685361831399821312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the opposite of Amell then

Good for her

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
(trying to stop direct linking to former twit site because gently caress that creepy little turd)

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/03/stephen-amell-wild-in-court-after-losing-to-animal-rescue/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/thecardsharp2/status/1686261070581874690

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

teen witch posted:

(trying to stop direct linking to former twit site because gently caress that creepy little turd)

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/03/stephen-amell-wild-in-court-after-losing-to-animal-rescue/

what a dick. that article ends with noting he drunkenly beat his wife on an airplane

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Beeftweeter posted:

what a dick. that article ends with noting he drunkenly beat his wife on an airplane

Lol he's absolutely a huge rear end in a top hat but you don't have to make things up. He yelled at her on a plane and got kicked off there's no report of anything physical.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Lol he's absolutely a huge rear end in a top hat but you don't have to make things up. He yelled at her on a plane and got kicked off there's no report of anything physical.

admittedly i didn't care enough to look it up but this:

quote:

Amell’s purported temper has made headlines in the past. The “Code 8” star was removed from a flight in 2021 after getting into an altercation with his wife, whom he married in 2012.

“I mean, maybe I destroyed my entire life, my entire career? So, I think, ultimately, very ashamed of it, trying to make amends for it, specifically with my wife,” he later said during an appearance on “Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum” podcast.

“I had too many drinks, and I had too many drinks in a public place, and I got on a plane,” he confessed. “I was pissed off about something else that had nothing to do with Cass, my wife, and I picked a fight. Just picked a fight because I wanted to be loud and upset.”

The couple went on to welcome their second child after the plane incident.

certainly makes it sound like he hit her. apologies to stephen amell i guess, i should know better than to take something from page 6 at face value

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If it had been domestic violence they 100% would've mentioned him hitting her explicitly. The way it's worded is weaselly to make it sound like that's what happened without actually opening themselves up to libel.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Amell just posted this to FB

quote:

Understandably, there has been a lot of reaction to the comments I made this weekend about our strike. To ensure there is no misunderstanding about my thoughts and intentions I’m providing what I actually said and clarity/context to ensure my feelings aren’t unintentionally misinterpreted. We all know soundbites can be taken out of context and I have too much respect for my fellow union members to not clarify the record.

What I actually said:
1 "I support my union, I do, and I stand with them."
This doesn’t need much clarity: My support is unconditional and I stand with them.

What I actually said:
2 "I do not support striking, I don’t.”
What this means in full context: I understand fundamentally why we’re here. My off the cuff use of the word “support” is clearly contradictory to my true feelings and my emphatic statement that I stand with my union. Of course I don’t like striking. Nobody does. But we have to do what we have to do.

What I said
3 “I think that it is a reductive negotiating tactic and I find the entire thing incredibly frustrating.”
In full context: I’m an actor and I was speaking extemporaneously for over an hour. I emote, but I certainly don’t think these issues are simple. Our leadership has an incredibly complicated job and I am grateful for all that they do. Despite some of my terrible early acting work, I assure you, I’m not a robot. From an intellectual perspective, I understand why we are striking, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t emotionally frustrating on many levels for all involved.

What I said
4 “I think that thinking as it pertains to shows like the show that I am on that that premiered last night, I think it is myopic”
What I meant: Nothing about the strike is funny but if I may self deprecate for a moment. I have no clue what I was trying to say here and who says, “I think that thinking...?” Perhaps it was an inarticulate shoutout to our crew and cast, who mean the world to me. I’m simply sad that we don’t have a chance to celebrate a show that all of us figuratively and I literally, broke my back for.

As I said from the jump, I want to ensure that my thoughts and intentions are not misconstrued. This situation reminds of the proverb, “the road to hell is paved with good intentions,” which apparently, after reading a limited amount of the commentary, is a place many of you would like me to visit. However, at least for the foreseeable future, I choose to stand with my union. When you see me on a picket line please don’t whip any hard fruit. - Stephen

Take it for what it's worth.

As for the plane thing, wasn't he yelling at another passenger and that got him kicked off?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"I don't support striking, I don't. I think that it is a reductive negotiating tactic and I find the entire thing incredibly frustrating." isn't something that can be 'taken out of context'. Like, it means what it means. And hey, if Amell is one of the few members who voted against striking, he has the right to his opinion (I'm gonna bet he abstained, though). But it's an opinion he should probably keep to himself about until the strike's done.

The final part, yes, I get the fear of the show being cancelled and impacting crew as well as cast, but like... if I recall, the show wasn't a barnstormer in the ratings. I'm not sure him going on Drew Barrymore would make that big a difference.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That screams crafted damage control statement.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he’s walking it back because he realized it was playing badly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The only way to take that statement at face value is to assume he hosed up and said "support striking" when he meant "like striking". Which is...pretty drat sketchy. So yeah, no, I don't buy that. He's just dumb, didn't realize how his thoughts would play, and is now playing damage control to save his career.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bunnyofdoom posted:

That screams crafted damage control statement.

Because that's exactly what it is. He's not being subtle about it. And he shouldn't be. Damage control is exactly what he needed to do.

Look, people make mistakes. It's gonna happen. He got a talking to, for sure. Now he needs to shut up and support the strike. As long as he can do that, he'll be fine.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a big Amell fan (Heels is great, for the record) but yeah, not the best choice of words here.

His pissy attitude reminds me a lot of film directors during the pandemic. Multiple big names went on the record that watching a movie at home would taint or somehow ruin their art. There was a loving pandemic that forced cities to create makeshift morgues. Sorry that seeing Wonder Woman 1984 at a "proper" venue wasn't high on my list.

Veering back on topic, this definitely isn't the last time we'll see this. I'm sure we'll see more actors express frustration, say something lovely, then hurriedly fall back in line.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm a big Amell fan (Heels is great, for the record) but yeah, not the best choice of words here.

His pissy attitude reminds me a lot of film directors during the pandemic. Multiple big names went on the record that watching a movie at home would taint or somehow ruin their art. There was a loving pandemic that forced cities to create makeshift morgues. Sorry that seeing Wonder Woman 1984 at a "proper" venue wasn't high on my list.

Veering back on topic, this definitely isn't the last time we'll see this. I'm sure we'll see more actors express frustration, say something lovely, then hurriedly fall back in line.

I'm surprised there haven't been more Amells so far. There's a lot of lovely people with big egos in Hollywood who are addicted to attention. You'd think a SAG-AFTRA strike would be rife with folks looking to scab out because they just can't loving help it, but the solidarity so far has been extremely impressive.

gently caress Stephen Amell though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

thrawn527 posted:

The only way to take that statement at face value is to assume he hosed up and said "support striking" when he meant "like striking". Which is...pretty drat sketchy. So yeah, no, I don't buy that. He's just dumb, didn't realize how his thoughts would play, and is now playing damage control to save his career.
He’s totally full of poo poo, since there is video of him onstage at a Canadian comic-con after the strike was in effect

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/kirkacevedo/status/1686198589377347584?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ricardo Diaz continues to own the poo poo out of Oliver Queen. You love to see it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more Amells so far. There's a lot of lovely people with big egos in Hollywood who are addicted to attention. You'd think a SAG-AFTRA strike would be rife with folks looking to scab out because they just can't loving help it, but the solidarity so far has been extremely impressive.

gently caress Stephen Amell though.

It says a lot about how dire pre-strike conditions are

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Narcissus1916 posted:

When I went to see D&D in the theaters, they had this little thing at the beginning where Chris Pine told me that they may fight a lot of monsters and Red Wizards of Thay but me, in the theater, I was the REAL hero for seeing a movie the way it was meant to be seen. Most of the cast had the good decency to look vaguely embarrassed.

nine-gear crow posted:

Wasn't it kind of up in the air if Fran Drescher herself would go for the strike at first?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't it kind of up in the air if Fran Drescher herself would go for the strike at first?

Yeah Fran went from "Eh, I don't think we need to strike, the WGA's got this covered" to "gently caress THE CORPORATE OVERLORDS, BILLIONAIRE BLOOD! :byodame:" in the span of like a month.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness I think she was trying to play nice as the DGA had just agreed a deal, so she was trying to do the 'hey, AMPTP, we can be reasonable, how about we compromise and work some stuff out, boo?' thing and then when the AMPTP basically said 'nah' and refused to budge on any of the key issues she went to war footing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm sure Amell is pissed he can't promote Heels, since it's definitely a passion project of his. It's also on loving Starz so I have to imagine it could be cancelled at any moment and he's doing everything he can to try and increase viewership and the strike is 100% going to gently caress with that.

But what a loving moron, he's just tanked a ton of good will and probably doomed the show anyway.

This would come into play in being hired for future projects, right? Is he just tanking his career here?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

When I went to see D&D in the theaters, they had this little thing at the beginning where Chris Pine told me that they may fight a lot of monsters and Red Wizards of Thay but me, in the theater, I was the REAL hero for seeing a movie the way it was meant to be seen. Most of the cast had the good decency to look vaguely embarrassed.

Tom Cruise had a fun "thank you" video that played with Top Gun Maverick that did a similar thing, except infinitely better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOQS3BSYho

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there history of WGA or SAG-AFTRA scabs losing work afterwards? It seems like at least the studios would be more than happy to hire them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Tom Cruise had a fun "thank you" video that played with Top Gun Maverick that did a similar thing, except infinitely better.

I said "gently caress you, Tom" out loud in a relatively crowded theater immediately after that clip ended before TGM stated.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vegetable posted:

Is there history of WGA or SAG-AFTRA scabs losing work afterwards? It seems like at least the studios would be more than happy to hire them.

Powers Boothe did it in the 1980 strike, it didn't tank his career nor did he lose his SAG card but those were a lot more forgivable circumstances

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Fran went from "Eh, I don't think we need to strike, the WGA's got this covered" to "gently caress THE CORPORATE OVERLORDS, BILLIONAIRE BLOOD! :byodame:" in the span of like a month.

Wow, who would have thought that the girl just described, was just exactly what the doctor prescribed? :aaa:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Wow, who would have thought that the girl just described, was just exactly what the doctor prescribed? :aaa:

In this version, Fran drags Maxwell out of his house and into the street where an angry mob beats him to death for being a rich rear end AMPTP member.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

nine-gear crow posted:

In this version, Fran drags Maxwell out of his house and into the street where an angry mob beats him to death for being a rich rear end AMPTP member.

I'm not normally for gritty reboots but.... :frogon:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Movement, perhaps?

quote:

The WGA has confirmed that it will sit down with the AMPTP on Friday to try and put an end to the writers strike that has been going on since May. The guild sent a note to its members tonight that said, “The AMPTP, through Carol Lombardini, reached out to the WGA today and requested a meeting this Friday to discuss negotiations.”

“We’ll be back in communication with you sometime after the meeting with further information. As we’ve said before, be wary of rumors. Whenever there is important news to share, you will hear it directly from us,” the note, which came from the WGA’s negotiating committee added.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1686522960192937984

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

*Googles Carol Lombardini, clicks top link*

https://twitter.com/ItsMeCarolAMPTP/status/1679486325358223361

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I wonder if the AMPTP is starting to think, "Well, poo poo, taking care of the writers is going to be a lot cheaper than the actors," along with a side of "if we hustle them it makes SAG's stance weaker." There's just so much animosity that it feels too early for this to be sincere.

Then again, a lot of that is posturing and messaging from both sides - and both of them do that to project their strength and resilience, even when both sides know they need each other. So who knows at this point.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

haha holy poo poo whoever is running this twitter is on loving fire. They're unhinged and I love it.

https://twitter.com/ItsMeCarolAMPTP/status/1658157005729828869?s=20

https://twitter.com/ItsMeCarolAMPTP/status/1679619415892180992?s=20

https://twitter.com/ItsMeCarolAMPTP/status/1675007451475902465?s=20

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ashpanash posted:

I wonder if the AMPTP is starting to think, "Well, poo poo, taking care of the writers is going to be a lot cheaper than the actors," along with a side of "if we hustle them it makes SAG's stance weaker." There's just so much animosity that it feels too early for this to be sincere.

Then again, a lot of that is posturing and messaging from both sides - and both of them do that to project their strength and resilience, even when both sides know they need each other. So who knows at this point.

By negotiating with the WGA and very specifically not SAG-AFTRA, the AMPTP is explicitly trying to drive a wedge between the unions' solidarity.

That's it, that's the end of the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

One of those crushing scenes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Narcissus1916 posted:

What is it with this guy and popcorn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

By negotiating with the WGA and very specifically not SAG-AFTRA, the AMPTP is explicitly trying to drive a wedge between the unions' solidarity.

That's it, that's the end of the story.

The unions will have to negotiate separately and reach separate deals, and one of the two is going to reach a deal before the other. That's just unavoidable! I think it's unclear that the AMPTP has bandwidth to negotiate with both groups simultaneously, anyway.