Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Then you have nicknames like Caligula which sound intimidating to modern ears but meant something like "little booties" at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Or Cicero, which means chickpea/garbanzo bean.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Classical Latin also didn't have the /v/ phoneme at all so the badass "veni, vidi, vici" actually sounded more like something a little goblin would say while hopping around a big pot.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

Classical Latin also didn't have the /v/ phoneme at all so the badass "veni, vidi, vici" actually sounded more like something a little goblin would say while hopping around a big pot.

it sounded like english?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's thought to have been more like " waynee weedy weeky"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

/v/ doesn't exactly get you out of the pot goblin woods here.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

So Caesar sounded like Waluigi?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

exquisite tea posted:

Then you have nicknames like Caligula which sound intimidating to modern ears but meant something like "little booties" at the time.

It meant little boots because he used to come to his father’s military camp in a little military costume as a child. The soldiers loved him and gave him the name.

Shame the kid had kind of a hosed ip childhood that seems to have broken him

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Marcade posted:

So Caesar sounded like Waluigi?

Well they're both italian

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FreudianSlippers posted:

Old Norse Nicknames.

Note that the old meaning of "Ljótur" is light or bright but the modern meaning is ugly making his name even more unfortunate.

Well I guess I can add to my list of things I'd use a time machine for to be "find out why that guy has Giant Exploder for a nickname"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Alright, one last plug for Saga Thing - they actually have, in the episodes where they wrap up the saga they just finished discussing, a section for best nicknames, where they often go quite in depth, both on how they're translated, and the meaning of more cryptic ones like Bowl Rattler and Seal Testicle.

Anyway, my favourite nickname fun fact: The affix Fitz- for surnames was introduced in the British isles via the French conquest, as an Anglicised version of the Old French 'filz', as another form of patronymic surnames. However, during the seventeenth century, there was a revival of the Fitz- affix, as a way to recognise illegitimate children. So if a person named Patrick had a child out of wedlock, the child would be given the surname Fitzpatrick.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

poor fitzgibbons

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

julia and juliia

*iulia and iuliia

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

They absolutely had a /v/ phoneme. You just don't know what a phoneme is. Anyway, they pronounced it as an approximant. (Most variants of English don't have it, which is why you see a lot of "THEY PRONOUNCED IT LINE WENI WIDI WICI GUISE!!!!11111elvatolvakatinkorva" poo poo on the Internet.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A brother of one of my great-great grandmothers was known as "Skallesmækker-Larsen" (it means headbutter, but is cognate to skull-smacker).

A brother of one of my great-great grandfathers was known as "The Terror of [Town]" (not his hometown, and while he was indeed a terror there is no evidence that he ever went to that town).

These both from newspapers at the time (late 1800s).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Plato” means “broad”.

It was the philosopher’s wrestling nickname.

This is the same etymological root as the beginning of my own screen name.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They absolutely had a /v/ phoneme. You just don't know what a phoneme is. Anyway, they pronounced it as an approximant. (Most variants of English don't have it, which is why you see a lot of "THEY PRONOUNCED IT LINE WENI WIDI WICI GUISE!!!!11111elvatolvakatinkorva" poo poo on the Internet.)

that's not jakobson's definition of a phoneme per se, at least not what i remember of it. but you're not wrong, either.

anyhow, i've long since left the field but iirc, there was a fair amount of evidence against the reading of word itinital "v" v as /v/ and instead as /w/. you can, for example, see confusions in how roman names were transcribed by foreigners and vice versa, and puns that no longer make sense to a reader assuming modern pronunciation, which show a distinct reading of that particular sound as /w/. however, in some words, v was pronounced more as a /v/, but, orthographically "v" stood in for a range of sounds that ancient speakers would understand as entirely different, depending on the position in the word. so it's not wrong to say that there was a /v/ sound, it's just that the orthography of latin isn't a 1-1 transcription of sounds. plus, like with all languages, phonetic shift happened, and you can start to see the gradual shift away from the orthography and pronunciation, and not just with variations of "v" but other letters as well, from old to middle to late latin, and then into church and medieval latin. so by late antiquity v is was most likely pronounced /v/ instead of /w/.

sydney allen was still the authority in that field when i was an undergrad (c.f. his work, vox latina), but i'm not working on latin so i don't know if that remains the case. i'm also not a classical linguist, so take it with a grain of salt anywho.

NoiseAnnoys has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Aug 2, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

A brother of one of my great-great grandmothers was known as "Skallesmækker-Larsen" (it means headbutter, but is cognate to skull-smacker).

A brother of one of my great-great grandfathers was known as "The Terror of [Town]" (not his hometown, and while he was indeed a terror there is no evidence that he ever went to that town).

These both from newspapers at the time (late 1800s).

One of my ancestors was called the Herring Throttler. As the story goes he was an officer and when one of his soldiers didn't do as he said he stuck a herring down his throat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What did it sound like then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

V

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay, let's hear it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alhazred posted:

One of my ancestors was called the Herring Throttler. As the story goes he was an officer and when one of his soldiers didn't do as he said he stuck a herring down his throat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

Your ancestor invented the Danish language.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Your ancestor invented the Danish language.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, let's hear it.

Well, there's a really weird soundbyte here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_labiodental_approximant

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Aug 2, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Plenty of other sources specify /w/ pretty exactly, which makes sense for a language that did not strongly differentiate V from U. If you are to think of "ueni, uidi, uici" then the /w/ sound is the pretty obvious pronunciation.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Plenty of other sources specify /w/ pretty exactly, which makes sense for a language that did not strongly differentiate V from U. If you are to think of "ueni, uidi, uici" then the /w/ sound is the pretty obvious pronunciation.

also /w/ -> /v/ is a super common sound change that a lot of living and dead languages underwent. a lot fewer languages went /v/ to /w/.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

also /w/ -> /v/ is a super common sound change that a lot of living and dead languages underwent. a lot fewer languages went /v/ to /w/.

In fact, the letter F was in the first Greek alphabet as Wau, and pronounced /w/. It fell off due to most ancient Greek dialects not really using the sound but not before making it into Etruscan, where it did the /v/ shift and became the letter F in roman. And then later, the roman letter V split into U, V and W depending on which variation of the sound you were actually making.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

In fact, the letter F was in the first Greek alphabet as Wau, and pronounced /w/. It fell off due to most ancient Greek dialects not really using the sound but not before making it into Etruscan, where it did the /v/ shift and became the letter F in roman. And then later, the roman letter V split into U, V and W depending on which variation of the sound you were actually making.

i didn't know that, but that makes sense, considering how limited the early alphabets were and how sound changes went. one of the fascinating things to me is how scribal or literary "misspellings" actually show the evolution of a language's phonetics as the spoken language diverges from the fossilized written one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NoiseAnnoys posted:

plus, like with all languages, phonetic shift happened, and you can start to see the gradual shift away from the orthography and pronunciation, and not just with variations of "v" but other letters as well, from old to middle to late latin, and then into church and medieval latin. so by late antiquity v is was most likely pronounced /v/ instead of /w/.

By the fall of the western empire Romans were already making fun of Iberians for pronouncing it as /b/, which suggests that the common pronunciation wasn't far off by that point.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

By the fall of the western empire Romans were already making fun of Iberians for pronouncing it as /b/, which suggests that the common pronunciation wasn't far off by that point.

yeah, languages change fast, even when they're liturgical or constructed languages. people really forget that sometimes.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's pronounced svord

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
so how is it pronounced hurry it's important the time portal won't be stable for long

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Milo and POTUS posted:

so how is it pronounced hurry it's important the time portal won't be stable for long

It's pronounced "retired classics scholar punches known forums pet squarely in the dialectics and goddammit I'm here for it."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well which is which. There's so much about history I have yet to learn

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I brought my Drake posted:

It's pronounced "retired classics scholar punches known forums pet squarely in the dialectics and goddammit I'm here for it."

what

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm neither retired nor violent :confused: And what does Citizen Tayne have to do with anything?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm neither retired nor violent :confused: And what does Citizen Tayne have to do with anything?

Legit thought I missed something in all the linguistic talk, but nope. :iiam:

But here's some interesting history that's not about vowels! Last month, a group of archeologists found what might be a hidden gate underneath the ruins of Mitla. Now, Mitla is a ruin in Southern Mexico, and according to legend, it contains a vast underground labyrinth that connects it to the underworld. When the Spanish came, they went in, noped out, and had the whole thing closed off. Then, they build a cathedral on top.

So, there actually appears to be a labyrinth down there. Sealed off, beneath a crypt, beneath a ruin, beneath a cathedral.

I'm not saying it's Diablo, but drat this is straight up the plot of Diablo.

EDIT: Or Pathways into Darkness, I guess

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Aug 3, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Legit thought I missed something in all the linguistic talk, but nope. :iiam:

But here's some interesting history that's not about vowels! Last month, a group of archeologists found what might be a hidden gate underneath the ruins of Mitla. Now, Mitla is a ruin in Southern Mexico, and according to legend, it contains a vast underground labyrinth that connects it to the underworld. When the Spanish came, they went in, noped out, and had the whole thing closed off. Then, they build a cathedral on top.

So, there actually appears to be a labyrinth down there. Sealed off, beneath a crypt, beneath a ruin, beneath a cathedral.

I'm not saying it's Diablo, but drat this is straight up the plot of Diablo.

EDIT: Or Pathways into Darkness, I guess

It's fun that we're still finding out new stuff (even if it's completely mundane) about old stuff, as technology and poo poo get's better and/or smaller. Like the chutes in the OK Pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe sealed off places are sealed for a reason?