Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Goldskull posted:

Laffo, I know the girl in the background. Not what I was expecting to see this morning, assuming this is GBBF?

Great British Bake gently caress ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I have to wear a shirt in anything but cold weather I do it. Because I hate short sleeved shirts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Goldskull posted:

Laffo, I know the girl in the background. Not what I was expecting to see this morning, assuming this is GBBF?

It is yeah, and I'm guessing the lass isn't exactly a fan of the tories?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Great British Beer Festival. Crufts for alcoholics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Even better!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Jamie Oliver Story

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

crispix posted:

lol that might be the poshest heckling i've ever heard

It was posh heckling that did for Boris in the end so let's hope it keeps up.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It is yeah, and I'm guessing the lass isn't exactly a fan of the tories?

No she isn't, but she is a great big fan of seeking attention. Sure next time I bump into her there'll be some made up story of how she schooled him in Politics or something too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Cruft beers

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/dave43law/status/1686640105857904640

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Rish this BP deal could be a problem please pull the worst pint in the history of mankind.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

both obvious alternatives to "living with AI" getting to feel pretty attractive imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I love the idea of "rebooting" democracy by means of large language model. it can do convincing C code and democracy's pretty much the same with lots of gotos and switch blocks and very ugly macro definitions

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The one on the right looks much less photoshopped tbh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now the problem with rebooting democracy means turning it off then on again... is she implying we go fascist for a bit? Cyberfascist?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Wait did they photoshop it so that the pint was normal and the woman wasn't pulling a "WTF is that" face, and then they accidentally posted the original anyway?

Where did the photoshop get posted then? Which one even IS the photoshop? And who made it?

Or was this entire confusion all manufactured to distract from the oil corruption story :tinfoil:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yeah; the one on the right is the GBBF glass, they didn’t use plain glasses at the event.

He’s still a twat.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Now the problem with rebooting democracy means turning it off then on again... is she implying we go fascist for a bit? Cyberfascist?

We just did that when the queen died and Chuck had to sign over all his powers to parliament.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics posted:

Which one even IS the photoshop?
They're all photoshops. Rishi isn't real.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

both obvious alternatives to "living with AI" getting to feel pretty attractive imo

"Imagine your child calling for money. But it's not them, it's an AI scam."

So what you are saying that I need to make my kids watch the documentary Terminator 2 so we know how to determine if the person on the other end of the line is a machine?

Sounds like great parenting advice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The AI scam where they use social media videos to generate a voice profile and then act as if they have abducted your children is some real hosed up sick poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
AI to reboot democracy lol.

here is the only part of that article that matters (the rest is guff)

quote:

We could train AI to value verified information, and serve it in ways that make the most complex information more accessible to more people.

Politicians could be more trusted to do the right thing by people, because they’ve learned new ways to involve people in decision-making. AI citizens’ assemblies could help people and politicians to navigate through the trade-offs required to tackle the big problems. These concepts are not entirely outlandish. Polis is one such tool, developed in the US and used to shape policies most extensively in Taiwan, including to design regulation for Uber. Deceptively simple, Polis maps people’s views according to consensus, rather than division, and gives people options to suggest policy ideas. In the UK, we at Demos have worked with the Cabinet Office on Polis projects to engage experts and the public in the 2021 integrated review of security, defence, development and foreign policy.

i wish the article cut the guff and just expanded on this paragraph. like, what did you actually DO. what uber regulation was designed by this tool, and how is it different from what would have happened otherwise. give me examples of "options to suggest policy ideas". give me examples of views that are "mapped according to consensus". what does "engage" mean, what did you DOOOOO

the guardian is complete poo poo.

i've been reading the Economist recently and they actually explain things

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

are any of those people real? surely the GMG owners must have realised they can automate this stuff now

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

AI government would be an improvement

Scientastic posted:

What I wouldn’t give for the UK to have a non-functioning government

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ro5s posted:

Real AGI skynet style or the current LLM AI like chatGPT? Because with an LLM what will happen is you'll get a government programmed by a "libertarian" who trained the AI entirely on video footage of Margaret Thatcher.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/miller_element/status/1686368230687014912

:allears:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Edit. Nope

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin
Sometimes I wonder about The poo poo i listen too. I see people posting and I wonder if they would have a theme tune.

I think fucktifinos music would be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3CPl_i4C4

goddamtwisto (PBUH) would be THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQpBggqCl8

I think if this thread had a theme tune it would be o9n a downer. Maybe 2pac changes or something like that.

gently caress-it post.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

They're all photoshops. Rishi isn't real.

He is real but they'd never let him near a pint glass in case he fell in.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

HEYOOOOOOO

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

A strange accusation when the Leader of the Other Tories Opposition has fallen into every pint glass that crossed his path.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ro5s posted:

I read Neal Asher*'s LOCKDOWN TALES II the other week, the short ANTIQUE BATTLEFIELDS deals with the 'Quiet War' when AGIs decide humans have hosed up enough and it would be better if bigger brains were in charge, it's a fun read. I'm not sure if Banks ever dipped into ancient Culture history of how the Minds came to be running the show, but this will do as a substitution.

*I haven't read many of Asher's books but have seen a bunch of gripes about his Libertarian/Fash leanings so do keep that in mind if you decide to give him money

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Maximum Pepsi posted:

if this thread had a theme tune

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TppbFVcfBcU&pp=ygUVRnVjayB0aGUgdG9yaWVzIGt1bnRz

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Triggered is such a useful word though for being set off by something. I won't have it taken away from me!
Not to bring this back up but 'Tilted' is a good one, used a lot in gaming when you make your opponent so mad they start loving up more. Especially if they're very mad for no real reason.

Triggered is a legit term to do with PTSD and the subjects fight or flight response being set off. Using it to mean mad / upset is a bit Piers Morgan / Alex Jones and weakens its use in the original context.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Some people say you're not allowed to say triggered even when it's the right word to use because it's belittling the concept of being triggered by things. I, respectfully, disagree.
It's not so much 'not allowed' as it is kind of a poo poo thing to do. There are better words that don't make light of people going through serious poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

AI to reboot democracy lol.

here is the only part of that article that matters (the rest is guff)

i wish the article cut the guff and just expanded on this paragraph. like, what did you actually DO. what uber regulation was designed by this tool, and how is it different from what would have happened otherwise. give me examples of "options to suggest policy ideas". give me examples of views that are "mapped according to consensus". what does "engage" mean, what did you DOOOOO

By 'one such tool' she means 'I heard about the only tool in existence trying to do this, read their PR brochure and figured I could spin a quick column out of it'.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Crystal Thenis posted:

thought yous are best of both worlds now in NI?

asides from the whole non functioning govt part

yeah but that's a very big problem

health service is collapsing, education budget is hosed, bus services have been cut to the bone, main roads are full of holes, a lot of B roads have become unusable unless you want to wreck your car and they're even considering turning off the drat street lights

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-streetlights-could-turned-26834715

it's getting noticeably worse all the time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's not so much 'not allowed' as it is kind of a poo poo thing to do. There are better words that don't make light of people going through serious poo poo.
It ties in interestingly with the rise in therapy speak in general conversation, where the overall takeaway seems to be that popularizing therapy concepts is a good thing, and the casual use does not take away from the actual utility of those words within the therapy session, it only becomes lovely when you start using it to pathologize other people (or when you can't have a conversation without everyone accusing each other of gaslighting and projecting).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Do literally anybody else in the UK besides tories do the sleeves-rolled-up-ready-to-get-stuck-in thing. Like in the recent hot weather not even the gaggles of high finance big lads in blue shirts wandering past our office were doing it.

I do but they aren't that suspiciously tidy, that's someone who ironed the shirt that way, possibly while wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:agreed: