Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

beats for junkies posted:

Also, 9/11 never happened in West Wing World, but early in 2002 there was a war on terror, for reasons.

I'll forgive you for forgetting the West Wing 9/11 episode. I'd pity you if you remembered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mr Interweb posted:

the best thing that could be said about The West Wing is that it is miles ahead of the utterly goddawful The Newsroom :barf:

Sorkin peaked with Sports Night

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Jedit posted:

I'll forgive you for forgetting the West Wing 9/11 episode. I'd pity you if you remembered it.

That was officially stated as out of continuity - part of that strange cultural moment when pop culture felt it was necessary that they comment on 9/11 even if it didn't make much sense for them to do so that also gave us the Spider-Man 9/11 comic.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The West Wing was the ultimate liberal fantasy: Eight years in office, always having the moral high ground, always being the smartest people in the room, never accomplishing anything.
I expect the show runners feared the show would not feel "relevant" if they diverged from reality by implemening good policies that didn't exist irl, but that meant they couldn't go more left wing than the Bush administration.

And they gave no in-universe reason these good smart people couldn't achieve something like same sex marriage. Was it because the Republicans are evil stupid assholes, constantly screeching culture war bullshit? Nope! In later seasons, the Republican presidential candidate was a major character and he was of course a good, honourable man who always argued in good faith.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Angry Salami posted:

That was officially stated as out of continuity - part of that strange cultural moment when pop culture felt it was necessary that they comment on 9/11 even if it didn't make much sense for them to do so that also gave us the Spider-Man 9/11 comic.

Didn't they try to present this even handed message about why there was so much anger in the middle east and went with some Biblical answer instead of 'We've been really lovely to the people that live there'

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's because the type of liberals that love/emulate The West Wing truly and genuinely believe the lie "it doesn't matter if you win or lose but how you play the game" that they were told as kids.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mr Interweb posted:

the best thing that could be said about The West Wing is that it is miles ahead of the utterly goddawful The Newsroom :barf:
The Newsroom was terrible but I like how basically everyone has forgotten the train wreck that was Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

He's standing in the middle of Afghanistan.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

The West Wing was the ultimate liberal fantasy: Eight years in office, always having the moral high ground, always being the smartest people in the room, never accomplishing anything.
I expect the show runners feared the show would not feel "relevant" if they diverged from reality by implemening good policies that didn't exist irl, but that meant they couldn't go more left wing than the Bush administration.

This is to buy into reactionaries' own ideology that they are "conservative" in the literal sense--they are not and have never been, they have always wanted radical, sweeping changes to society to make it more repressive and hierarchical than it has ever been. The really dictionary-definition conservative people of America are centrist liberals, and for them the West Wing represents not only accomplishment, but accomplishing pretty much everything they want, which is to block any substantive change to America's political system and society, in any direction. The West Wing is for people for whom 1990s neoliberal America is just fine, thank you and don't want any new policies at all, because they think any attempt to change America's direction to left or right will screw everything up, and that the world outside will never make conditions in America change if they just want things to stay the same hard enough. They do not just think "this is fine" but "this is great, this is perfect, this is the best society that has ever existed".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Woolie Wool posted:

This is to buy into reactionaries' own ideology that they are "conservative" in the literal sense--they are not and have never been, they have always wanted radical, sweeping changes to society to make it more repressive and hierarchical than it has ever been. The really dictionary-definition conservative people of America are centrist liberals, and for them the West Wing represents not only accomplishment, but accomplishing pretty much everything they want, which is to block any substantive change to America's political system and society, in any direction. The West Wing is for people for whom 1990s neoliberal America is just fine, thank you and don't want any new policies at all, because they think any attempt to change America's direction to left or right will screw everything up, and that the world outside will never make conditions in America change if they just want things to stay the same hard enough. They do not just think "this is fine" but "this is great, this is perfect, this is the best society that has ever existed".

We are living at the end of history

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

They think, “this is the natural order of things and the only possibility.”

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

They think, “this is the natural order of things and the only possibility.”

Still too passive compared to their active, dedicated commitment to making sure nothing changes. They admit other things are possible but actively try to prevent those things from happening. Not a do-nothing presidency, a stop-everything presidency.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

Yeah, West Wing didn't age poorly because it was never good. The biggest accomplishment of Bartlet's presidency was privatizing Social Security.

"We are going to raise the level of discourse in this country, and let that be our legacy." loving nonsense.

Also, 9/11 never happened in West Wing World, but early in 2002 there was a war on terror, for reasons.

Everyone with opinions about The West Wing (good or bad) should listen to The West Wing Thing podcast, with Josh Olson and Dave Anthony. They're both leftists in Hollywood (Josh wrote A History of Violence and Infested, Dave is a stand-up and wrote on Marc Maron's show and some other shows), and very much not liberal/Democrats. They start out going "y'know, Sorkin's a good writer, we're just going to focus on the politics of this show and how it negatively influenced the Democratic party and the Obama administration." By like 3 episodes in, they have done a total 180 to "Sorkin's a lovely writer, gently caress him, this podcast was a bad idea because now we have to keep watching this terrible loving show."

One episode is just a total side-trip into an episode of one of the Star Treks because the WW episode they were supposed to do was so dull that they couldn't think of anything to say about it. They also did an episode on Sorkin's Chicago Seven movie, where Abbie Hoffman profess his love for the government of the United States of America. Abbie loving Hoffman.

I'd hate to see what bullshit Sorkin would have put in MLK Jr's mouth.

Does the audio quality ever improve? I just finished the first episode, and I had to constantly adjust the volume.

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Aug 3, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does the audio quality ever improve? I just finished the first episode, and I had to constantly adjust the volume.

you're asking if a Dave Anthony podcast ever gets better audio, the answer is absolutely not lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

King Features did try to get some of their properties on tv in the 70s:

mllaneza posted:

And again in the 90s with an absolutely wild cyberpunk storyline and art by the character designer for Aeon Flux. I'm 5 episodes in, and drat if it isn't really good.
Did we miss this one in the middle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs

They barely had enough characters to put together a team.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Let's not forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87iwPlNBcY

Great opening song, and a rare attempt at a serialized story in a children's cartoon. A decent show for its time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, that's...unusually chill for a show designed to grab kids' attention. I remember seeing it as a kid, but I think it was one of those shows that came on so early Saturday morning that even I couldn't get up in time for it.

And Tim Curry was in it! I wish Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates hadn't vanished down the memory hole.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Tim Curry was everywhere
He was the most recurring villain on the Little Mermaid prequel series.
Which I had buried in my memories until today due to the youtube algorithm.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Halloween Jack posted:

I wish Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates hadn't vanished down the memory hole.

drat, that's a trip in the way the gently caress back machine.
I vaguely remember the episode where the mermaids were trying to drown Wendy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Stan Lee wrote the lyrics to that opening!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Suleman posted:

Let's not forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87iwPlNBcY

Great opening song, and a rare attempt at a serialized story in a children's cartoon. A decent show for its time.

Younger Me hated the Prince Valiant comic strip (I should look into it one of these days though) but if I had know this was a thing I probably would have been way into it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Prince Valiant was never worth the extra effort required to read the font.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nameless Pete posted:

Prince Valiant was never worth the extra effort required to read the font.
The PYF Comics thread is posting old Prince Valiant (like the 1940s) and it's both gorgeous and also he murders like twenty people and doesn't give a poo poo about anything which is kind of startling to see in a nwspaper comic

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yeah Prince Valiant legitimately owns. The art is gorgeous, the plots are fun, and Val himself is a really charming character despite his stupid haircut

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The PYF Comics thread is posting old Prince Valiant (like the 1940s) and it's both gorgeous and also he murders like twenty people and doesn't give a poo poo about anything which is kind of startling to see in a nwspaper comic

One time someone tries to steal Val's stuff while he's skinny dipping and Val gets halfway through drowning him with his bare hands before he goes "hmm, maybe I should talk this guy first"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DACK FAYDEN posted:

a nwspaper comic

Oh poo poo there's nudity too?

edit

the holy poopacy posted:

One time someone tries to steal Val's stuff while he's skinny dipping and Val gets halfway through drowning him with his bare hands before he goes "hmm, maybe I should talk this guy first"

Ok well guess that solves that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh poo poo there's nudity too?

Modesty Blaise was cancelled decades ago, unfortunately.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

I AM GRANDO posted:

Modesty Blaise was cancelled decades ago, unfortunately.
Leaving the door wide open for Immodesty Blaise to launch!

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

My controversial West Wing opinion is that Two Cathedrals, the episode where Bartlet yells at God in Latin, is really loving overrated.

And the misogyny really was A Lot on my last rewatch. There's an early episode where Bartlet and Leo just stand around and smugly congratulate themselves on having female employees who can actually do stuff! They are almost as good as men! Also the episode where Bartlet's daughter gets harassed by some creep in a bar and the Secret Service arrests him, and Bartlet YELLS AT HER because it's her fault.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sounds like The West Wing was accidentally realistic about the people it was portraying

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

the_steve posted:

We are living at the end of history

The old world is dead but a new one struggles to be born.

We live in the Time of Monsters.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mllaneza posted:

Strange New Worlds hung a lamp on that this season. Time travelers keep loving with important events but the timestream keeps adjusting back as best it can. Ricardo Montalban still conquered the Earth, but "now" it happened later.

He covered the planet in rich, Corinthian leather, the bastard.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My go-to example is the entire Westerns genre. The "Wild West" era was a very specific time from 1865 and the 1890 and since it was immediately after the Civil War there were a lot of freed African Americans migrating into the area trying to forge a new life on the frontier. At least 1/3 of the cowboys in the 'wild west' were African American but the Western genre was very much whitewashed back during its peak and in most of the old Western movies and TV shows you barely ever saw any African Americans at all. Of course there's been some notable examples in recent times where that trend was finally reversed.

Blazing Saddles was also much more accurate in that regard compared to pretty much all the Westerns that came before it. :haw:

Any excuse to post this video essay, which, now that I think about it, is perfectly apt for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzMFoNZeZm0

Do not worry, the premise isn't what you're worried it might be. It's quite the opposite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the holy poopacy posted:

Val is basically a shonen hero, where half the people he almost kills end up his friends.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Wild West ended with the last stagecoach robbery in 1916

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
People definitely underestimate how recent that history is, especially for more rural parts of the US. My great-great-aunt on my mom's side used to share stories with child me about fording the Red River with a covered wagon in the early 1920s to move to Texas. And I grew up in a rural area that didn't have municipal electric or water utilities until the 1970s. Fairly cheap to tap into the water and power infrastructure going to the rural schools if you lived on those particular roads before then, but otherwise people had to pay for the entire cost of installation if they wanted electricity or water for their house. Due to cost, most opted for wells/cisterns as a water supply and simply not having electricity. Even in my late 90s/early 00s childhood a lot of people who lived off the FM roads bought clean water from the nearest town for drinking/eating while still using cistern water for everything else, living in houses where electric outlets and appliances had been obviously added decades after their initial construction.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Wild West ended with the last stagecoach robbery in 1916

Wild West media, which is the focus of this thread, peaked in 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXKtfKnfT8

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The West Wing ended with the last stagecoach robbery in 1916

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Robbing stagecoaches was the height of leftist propaganda.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

President Josiah Edward "Jed" Bartlet would frequently host screenings of "Wild Wild West" in the White House Family Theater for visiting dignitaries.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Desert Bus posted:

President Josiah Edward "Jed" Bartlet would frequently host screenings of "Wild Wild West" in the White House Family Theater for visiting dignitaries.
I wish that this was true in canon. The last time I tried to rewatch some of The West Wing I was very quickly put off it by just how weird and inhuman all of the characters seem to be; the writers will try so hard to give them little moments where they act like real people but it never lasts beyond the little joke scene where it occurs and they switch back to being speech robots almost immediately.

There's one scene early on where Leo is doing a crossword puzzle and I thought that was interesting but it is never mentioned again nor is he ever seen working on one on camera. There's also one episode where the President off-handedly mentions making chili but is never shown to have actually done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bartlett, whispering, with a knowing look, to Shinzo Abe: “You know, spiders are the fiercest killers in the animal kingdom. You know you gotta be careful around spiders. So if you had a big one -- imagine how deadly they are!”