Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm a couple years late but last I did research, the Paperwhite was by far the best e-reader. In general, e-reader screens are way better at handling glare and being easy on the eyes. So unless you specifically need the capabilities of a tablet, e-readers are superior for just readin books.

E: I expect piracy is possible. You can transfer your own documents after all. Never tried because :effort:

Is it worth using compared to a phone when it's only slightly bigger? My phone is 6.1", the paperwhite is 6.8"? :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure you can move any arbitrary file type onto an iPad. There's a full file manager now called Files.

And I'll hazard a guess that VLC would be able to play MKVs if you have them onboard.

Oops, sorry. I'm glad that apple has come around on this but it sucks you can't just install VLC and play the extremely common media types. e: nvm I guess you can

PirateBob posted:

Is it worth using compared to a phone when it's only slightly bigger? My phone is 6.1", the paperwhite is 6.8"? :effort:

It's really not about the screen size at all. You should go to a local best buy/whatever and take a look at the e-readers, it's a completely different and better experience, much easier on the eyes, much more like reading something that's printed and not at all like having your eyes blasted with light from a screen. I use a paperwhite and really like it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Pretty sure you can move any arbitrary file type onto an iPad. There's a full file manager now called Files.

And I'll hazard a guess that VLC would be able to play MKVs if you have them onboard.

Yup. Saved an mkv video to my google drive, downloaded it on my iPad, and played it with VLC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Good to know that's possible. I barely use my ipad because I don't really like the tablet form factor much (personal thing, the device is good), so I wasn't sure what it's capable of and was just going off of what itunes lets you transfer over directly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think iTunes might let you copy over arbitrary files too, but I hate that program, so I'd never bother.

I could have also transferred the file by plugging in a USB-C drive directly (I'm not sure if you can do that with Lightning cable iPads with an adapter).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's this about ads on the kindles? If the store doesn't specifiy it's "no lock-screen ads", do I have to assume it comes with loving ads? :zombie:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PirateBob posted:

What's this about ads on the kindles? If the store doesn't specifiy it's "no lock-screen ads", do I have to assume it comes with loving ads? :zombie:

check this option

seems to be $20 extra

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I get a page of recommendations for related books after I finish reading one. That's it.

It does like to update every time I go into the store to buy something, that's about the only intrusive thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I get a page of recommendations for related books after I finish reading one. That's it.

It does like to update every time I go into the store to buy something, that's about the only intrusive thing.

No lockscreen ads? That's what the description says, and it's true for Fire tablets.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

No ads. It's uh, a kindle of some sort, several years old. Perhaps this isn't a very useful data point :v:

E: If I had been presented with the option to get an ad-free version I definitely would have chosen it, I just don't remember if that happened and had no idea it was a thing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

No lockscreen ads? That's what the description says, and it's true for Fire tablets.

The screen ads are just book recommendations and I see them for all of 2 seconds as the thing wakes up

I don't care about $20 in the slightest and even in that context I can't see the point in spending extra to avoid this

Azhais fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 2, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Azhais posted:

The screen ads are just book recommendations and I see them for all of 2 seconds as the thing wakes up

I don't care about $20 in the slightest and even in that context I can't see the point in spending extra to avoid this

This seems kinda exactly like ads you'd see in actual books for other titles by that publisher or author so IMO I'd rather spend that 20 bucks on some nice drinks to enjoy with my book. I don't remember having the option of ads/no ads when I bought mine, wonder if that's just an American thing? I'm in Canada.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

This seems kinda exactly like ads you'd see in actual books for other titles by that publisher or author so IMO I'd rather spend that 20 bucks on some nice drinks to enjoy with my book. I don't remember having the option of ads/no ads when I bought mine, wonder if that's just an American thing? I'm in Canada.

Possibly, but Amazon made the choice easy to overlook, regardless.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VelociBacon posted:

Google "calibre" and see what you find. I don't think apple products let you put media or any files 'on them' in general tbh so I dunno what you're planning to do with the MKV files though. It's one of the reasons I moved away from apple phones.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can totally copy media files onto your ipad via itunes as long as it likes the file format. it likes mp4 for instance but not mkv. I don't know if you can install any apps to fix that.

I recall being able to copy files to my kindle without going through the amazon store, but the process may have been roundabout. it's honestly been a while and I can't remember the details. as for the ipad, itunes also lets you copy your own ebooks to the ipad, but i'm not sure which formats it supports.

lol these are some 2012-rear end takes about iPads. You can pop USB sticks on them and manage files now and poo poo. Download files from servers and email and whatnot. Files.

Anyway, OP, it seems like you can download apps that will read azw3 files (mobi, etc), or convert them to either epub or pdf and read them with a bajillion different apps that way.

https://www.epubor.com/how-to-read-azw3-books-on-an-ipad-or-iphone.html

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So my parents' computer is a typical boomer nightmare box; toolbar, multiple anti-virus programs competing with each other, most of which are adware, the works. I can handle that.

But does anyone have any idea what the loving hell could be causing System Interrupts to hit 89% CPU usage?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol these are some 2012-rear end takes about iPads. You can pop USB sticks on them and manage files now and poo poo. Download files from servers and email and whatnot. Files.

Anyway, OP, it seems like you can download apps that will read azw3 files (mobi, etc), or convert them to either epub or pdf and read them with a bajillion different apps that way.

https://www.epubor.com/how-to-read-azw3-books-on-an-ipad-or-iphone.html

:thanks:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PirateBob posted:

On top of what others have said, my Kindle battery lasts about a month while reading nightly. My phone ain't gonna do that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
fwiw I know ppl with ereaders and phones and tablets and they each have their own role

not encouraging excessive consumption or anything but a paperwhite is cheap and will last like 5+ years

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Honestly, that link's a bit overcomplicated. Get calibre; it's great at converting ebook file types. Convert to epub. Amazon has a Send to Kindle desktop app that goes right into your context menu. Right-click your new epubs, send them to kindle. Every smart device has a free Kindle app. You're done.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you buy the kindle with ads and hate it you can always pay the $20 later to unlock the no-ads option. Don’t worry about having to make the choice at purchase.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

If you buy the kindle with ads and hate it you can always pay the $20 later to unlock the no-ads option. Don’t worry about having to make the choice at purchase.

you can also get the kids one and it's the same paperwhite + a free year kids+ books membership that you don't have to use + no ads + a nifty case + it goes on sale sometimes and is cheaper

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

fwiw I know ppl with ereaders and phones and tablets and they each have their own role

not encouraging excessive consumption or anything but a paperwhite is cheap and will last like 5+ years

I look at it as extending the life of my phone, since I'm putting fewer wear cycles on its battery by reading on my ereader instead.

As for ads on the Kindle, I leave wifi off as much as possible. Only turning it on occasionally to download a bevy of new books, basically. After like two weeks unconnected, the ads time out and it reverts to basic screensavers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
if you pop your kindle in a case or sleeve or put a cover on it then you don't have to see the ads

but also a case is kinda unnecessary for a kindle IMO, but it's nice if you're contrived and want it to feel more "booklike"

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Honestly, that link's a bit overcomplicated. Get calibre; it's great at converting ebook file types. Convert to epub. Amazon has a Send to Kindle desktop app that goes right into your context menu. Right-click your new epubs, send them to kindle. Every smart device has a free Kindle app. You're done.

My eBooks are in .azw3, often converted from epub, precisely because they're then easier to use in the Kindle app on my phone. It's Amazon's format.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 2, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

you can also get the kids one and it's the same paperwhite + a free year kids+ books membership that you don't have to use + no ads + a nifty case + it goes on sale sometimes and is cheaper

the kids version also has a longer warranty, two years instead of one

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CapnAndy posted:

So my parents' computer is a typical boomer nightmare box; toolbar, multiple anti-virus programs competing with each other, most of which are adware, the works. I can handle that.

But does anyone have any idea what the loving hell could be causing System Interrupts to hit 89% CPU usage?

Google results suggest a hardware failure or driver issue. Basically there's interrupts when there shouldn't be because something is thrashing. Suggestions I've seen vary from updating the bios to the generic stuff this microsoft forum suggested to get started (basically updating antivirus and updates and then cleaning the disk and rebooting):
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-interrupts-100-cpu/dac6c0ba-dc6a-40d8-85d5-a82eec771f55

It's one of those situations where it could be almost anything from failing hardware to a software issue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Google results suggest a hardware failure or driver issue. Basically there's interrupts when there shouldn't be because something is thrashing. Suggestions I've seen vary from updating the bios to the generic stuff this microsoft forum suggested to get started (basically updating antivirus and updates and then cleaning the disk and rebooting):
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-interrupts-100-cpu/dac6c0ba-dc6a-40d8-85d5-a82eec771f55

It's one of those situations where it could be almost anything from failing hardware to a software issue.
Yeah, l know, but that’s painfully broad and 89% is a loving insane number. Maybe it’s all the antiviruses fighting over file access?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, l know, but that’s painfully broad and 89% is a loving insane number. Maybe it’s all the antiviruses fighting over file access?

could something be running a crypto miner in the background?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CapnAndy posted:

Could be anything. Generally you only want one antivirus software and defender is as good as anything. Certainly uninstall mcafee/norton/kaspersky/whatever since they're garbage. Since it's for old people I would 100% add in ublock origin to block ads on every browser they might get their hands on. Edge + whatever else they have installed.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You can easily rule out hard drive issues by installing and running crystaldiskinfo to check their health.

Once you've fixed/cleaned things out as best you can.

1. Install wireshark and check for excessive/unusual network traffic. Could point towards a cryptominer or ddos or whatever being installed, in which case make an external backup, wipe everything and start from a fresh new Windows install. Although honestly a fresh Windows install is probably a good idea anyways.

2. Migrate the OS to an SSD if there isn't already one. They are pretty cheap these days and it will make a noticeable difference to your parents. Will probably prolong the period of time it takes before the computer slows down from the accumulation of antiviruses and bonzi buddies.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 3, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've ordered a Kindle Paperwhite 5 with no ads. And immediately started wondering if I should have saved money by getting a Kobo instead lol :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PirateBob posted:

I've ordered a Kindle Paperwhite 5 with no ads. And immediately started wondering if I should have saved money by getting a Kobo instead lol :v:

Yeah I have a kobo for the epub support, it's pretty ok

Aura h2o edition 2

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PirateBob posted:

You're going to love it, don't let yourself get gooned up in the consumerism.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

You're going to love it, don't let yourself get gooned up in the consumerism.

All right. Looking forward to using it. It will be nice to be able to read my ebooks without having the distractions on my phone getting in the way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

could something be running a crypto miner in the background?
I mean, I saw a toolbar that seemed to be running on the desktop, so…

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Clean up the trash and extra AV solutions first, then see if the CPU stuff remains.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
In addition to getting a SSD for that computer as someone else mentioned, I would just pull out the hard drive and throw it in a dumpster entirely. Make no attempt to migrate the OS to the SSD, just install a new one period.

Purify the old drive with fire or acid or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah there is no rectifying something this far gone. Please consider what the computer would have wanted when it was well and end it's suffering. Donate the organs into a new OS install.

e: Put uBlock origin chrome extension in the reinstall so your parents or w/e don't click on poo poo as much.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 3, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

time to buy a new SSD and hit our man Lodge North up for a $15 Win10 license, sounds like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Sounds more like it's time to get your parents an Etch-A-Sketch