Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I hate when they give a survey, and there is no way to distinguish between the way that the individual agent that you talked to handled your enquiry with the way the the company handled the original/encompassing issue.
I'm sure this is on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I got a QC in a call set Zero because I found, exposed, and reversed multiple fraud counts on a customers bank account. Ther zero was because "I didn't address the customers needs by issuing him a new debit card." Nah son, he called asking WHY he had a new debit card. Turns out multiple agents had opened and zero our multiple checking accounts and issued epdenir cards for those accounts because they counted as new products. But then flagged every account and card as invisible so he wouldn't see them during online banking.

I got dinged for shutting down internal fraud.

1 guesses what bank it was. I quit because of related activities. They shuttered the entire phone banking system within a year.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

I hate when they give a survey, and there is no way to distinguish between the way that the individual agent that you talked to handled your enquiry with the way the the company handled the original/encompassing issue.

this is actually a thing my job has decided to do right lately..or at least less wrong. we have a category for disputing surveys specifically for this, but the customer has to literally say 'i am not rating [name] but the company' or something that means that. it's better than what we had but it's still pretty annoying because if an agent follows procedure and they give a bad survey because they didn't get what they want, we still can't dispute it if they don't specifically say they aren't rating the agent.

Ravus Ursus posted:

I got a QC in a call set Zero because I found, exposed, and reversed multiple fraud counts on a customers bank account. Ther zero was because "I didn't address the customers needs by issuing him a new debit card." Nah son, he called asking WHY he had a new debit card. Turns out multiple agents had opened and zero our multiple checking accounts and issued epdenir cards for those accounts because they counted as new products. But then flagged every account and card as invisible so he wouldn't see them during online banking.

I got dinged for shutting down internal fraud.

1 guesses what bank it was. I quit because of related activities. They shuttered the entire phone banking system within a year.

lol this has to be wells fargo right?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Our boss is 70 and getting stupid. Micromanaging rear end in a top hat that complains about stuff not being automatable, yet demands more manual steps on procedures like order processing, just so his dumb poo poo head can look for the order in one tab instead of the one two steps over.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

~Coxy posted:

Likelihood to Recommend the Company! Doesn’t matter if you personally washed the customer’s car and licked their boots, if they hate your company it’s obviously your fault!

I do remember the poor people on the Asian languages line absolutely hated being on it because of those surveys. They got poo poo on so much because they NEVER got 10s. Last I was there they were actively fighting back trying to get removed from the surveys cause it was so bad.

Somehow I got 15 10s in a row. Yeah cause I didn’t sell for poo poo! Managed to turn that into a promotion out of the call centre and haven’t looked back.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlMU6p9OzMg

:negative:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ChickenDoodle posted:

Somehow I got 15 10s in a row. Yeah cause I didn’t sell for poo poo! Managed to turn that into a promotion out of the call centre and haven’t looked back.

Surprised that fifteen 10s in a row doesn't mean that you're great on the phones and now you're stuck there forever.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

teemolover42069 posted:

lol this has to be wells fargo right?

It sure was.

poo poo show even from top to bottom. I did have heart warming stories, but some absolutely vile behavior too.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I love dealing with security threats because some dumb old boomer refuses to learn anything at all in the thirty years she's had a computer based job.

What's a URL? What's a folder tree? Why can't I sign up to every service with my work email? Durrrrr I send email!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I purposefully click the obvious phishing email links cause my IT doesn’t do poo poo and I want to break my poo poo so I don’t have to work.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

teemolover42069 posted:

oh yeah, it drat sure is. the whole customer survey system sucks rear end. it's fine to have the surveys imo, but they shouldn't be something that can effect the agents' long term in the company. they currently do. not in a HUGE way - they're like 10% of the weighting of what factors go into performance-based raises each year. but that's still too much because you can really only do so much to avoid bad surveys.

Any job that bases pay on surveys is just looking for ways to screw the workers. When I first started teaching at School That No Longer Exists, for the first three months, you had to have Student Surveys for every class you taught. And it meant that you had to sit down with your chair to discuss any bad reviews every time. I had one student give me the worst scores possible because I made him use legitimate sources on a paper and cite them. He didn't even fail the paper, he just got a C. Or the students who gave me a low score with the comment that "BOUC doesn't care about her students." I remember sitting there asking my Chair what I was supposed to do when the students A -- Didn't show up or showed up late and B -- Did not turn in their assignments? She kind of sighed and glossed over that part of it. And I get it, she had her job to do as well... Which was talk to me about the lovely scores that lovely students gave.

BTW -- The answer to B was apparently: "Let them turn all assignments in late, even if it's the last day of class and grades are due in an hour." That came down from Corporate at one point, and none of the instructors were happy. At least the Science based courses had regulations they had to meet in what the students could do and could hide behind legitimately flunking students that could not do the work and should never have been admitted. Those Program Chairs could meet with the Dean and say: "Alice did not meet this metric provided by this Government Oversight group and cannot graduate with this degree."

Meanwhile, I was trying to teach students to write professionally when students who legitimately could not read were being admitted to the school and my classes and being told: "Just get them to the point where they can move on to the next class". Like, this student can't even read the word 'paragraph' and you're expecting me to get her ready for nursing texts in the span of ONE MONTH?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Meanwhile, I was trying to teach students to write professionally when students who legitimately could not read were being admitted to the school and my classes and being told: "Just get them to the point where they can move on to the next class". Like, this student can't even read the word 'paragraph' and you're expecting me to get her ready for nursing texts in the span of ONE MONTH?

Look, just stop being a perfectionist.It doesn't have to be perfect just get them to the least viable point and move them on. Just because this is stupid and literally impossible and makes no goddamn sense isn't a reason to give up.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I purposefully click the obvious phishing email links cause my IT doesn’t do poo poo and I want to break my poo poo so I don’t have to work.

I just flag everything as phishing.

That's what they get for once sending an "exercise" phishing email from the info sec email address.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

~Coxy posted:

The fact that anything less than a perfect score on these is a flunk is just insane. I always take the survey and I always give a perfect score, no matter how lovely the service was, because whatever is going wrong it sure as poo poo isn't the fault of the poor SOB catching the phone call.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I just flag everything as phishing.

That's what they get for once sending an "exercise" phishing email from the info sec email address.

This is the correct power move.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Yeah, if a company is using surveys as a part of the yearly evaluation that determines raises, it's not for quality, it's because they don't want to pay you. The average shitbrain customer isn't going to separate things the agent has control over vs not and will tantrum accordingly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My new boss just got access to SurveyMonkey and created a survey that I'm supposed to send out to each business after I go and inspect them.

The problem is that it's my job to tell the business everything they're doing wrong and force them to fix it. I'm not there to be their friend and create a positive experience for them. All of the inspectors have sent a "gently caress NO" email to the boss.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 2, 2023

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Outrail posted:

Look, just stop being a perfectionist.It doesn't have to be perfect just get them to the least viable point and move them on. Just because this is stupid and literally impossible and makes no goddamn sense isn't a reason to give up.

I see you worked at the same place!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I see you worked at the same place!

We all worked at the same place. We all work at the same place. We will all work at the same place.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Any job that bases pay on surveys is just looking for ways to screw the workers. When I first started teaching at School That No Longer Exists, for the first three months, you had to have Student Surveys for every class you taught. And it meant that you had to sit down with your chair to discuss any bad reviews every time. I had one student give me the worst scores possible because I made him use legitimate sources on a paper and cite them. He didn't even fail the paper, he just got a C. Or the students who gave me a low score with the comment that "BOUC doesn't care about her students." I remember sitting there asking my Chair what I was supposed to do when the students A -- Didn't show up or showed up late and B -- Did not turn in their assignments? She kind of sighed and glossed over that part of it. And I get it, she had her job to do as well... Which was talk to me about the lovely scores that lovely students gave.

BTW -- The answer to B was apparently: "Let them turn all assignments in late, even if it's the last day of class and grades are due in an hour." That came down from Corporate at one point, and none of the instructors were happy. At least the Science based courses had regulations they had to meet in what the students could do and could hide behind legitimately flunking students that could not do the work and should never have been admitted. Those Program Chairs could meet with the Dean and say: "Alice did not meet this metric provided by this Government Oversight group and cannot graduate with this degree."

Dang, a buddy taught grad school at a very good university & while most students were fine he wasn’t a fan of how if someone were caught cheating, especially for something they had already been busted for and warned not to do again, options were absurdly limited. The university administration did not have his back but did enjoy the $50k or so annual tuition and was loathe to take any action so his best option was often to give a zero and explain why but not take any disciplinary steps.

It was especially bad as in some cases with chronic offenders he would go through the time consuming steps to get them removed, but the student would be free to fill out a survey that carried a lot of weight and would be processed with zero notes about how the student was kicked out for cheating.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My work got hacked a couple years ago and I was paid to sit on the couch for over a month until we just paid the ransom (the largest ever AFAIK lol)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ChickenDoodle posted:

Double-checked to make sure this wasn't Barudek.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Whenever our email system flags a potential spam, I get an email from the system asking me to click a link to verify whether it's spam, which then opens a browser window to tell me that the message was cleared/flagged. If it is spam, it then goes to my junkmail folder anyway. It's more annoying than just letting spam through.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dumb poo poo your work does: Singapore just got another angel

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

Whenever our email system flags a potential spam, I get an email from the system asking me to click a link to verify whether it's spam, which then opens a browser window to tell me that the message was cleared/flagged. If it is spam, it then goes to my junkmail folder anyway. It's more annoying than just letting spam through.

Report those messages as spam

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

RocketMermaid posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: Singapore just got another angel

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://fortune.com/2023/08/01/rese...6KuFqhnV6kECnA0

quote:

We’re now finding out the damaging results of the mandated return to the office–and it’s worse than we thought

oh word?

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

can't believe absolutely nobody warned these poor companies....if only someone had told them. if only there were some way they could have known....

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Covid let that genie out of the bottle. We all know we don’t need to go into an actual office to do work. They just can’t let it go.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

the article posted:

This situation illustrates the potent influence of the status quo bias. This bias, deeply entrenched in our human psyche, inclines us toward maintaining current states or resisting change. Employees, having tasted the fruits of flexible work, felt averse to relinquishing these newfound freedoms.

"You only want WFH because your idiot brain is biased toward maintaining the status quo" :lol: goddamn, I guess that means people were beating the office doors down to stay at the office when everyone went remote in the first place, right?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

quote:

At that point, the company called me to help as a hybrid work expert who the New York Times has called “the office whisperer.”

*involuntary shudder* wonder if this guy drinks free at Pinkerton bars.

Also adjacent dept that schedules a lot of meetings has a hot new strategy prompted by being in meetings all day: schedule them to start at 5 minutes past the hour, with the idea being it will give people time to get there from their previous meeting. In practice it just means everyone shows up five minutes early and we sit there for five minutes waiting for “stragglers.”

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think outlook gives that option as standard on appointments now. It just seems to lead to a lot of people arriving at 7 minutes past instead.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

goatface posted:

I think outlook gives that option as standard on appointments now. It just seems to lead to a lot of people arriving at 7 minutes past instead.

I wish I could take advantage of everything Outlook can do. But I’m not that motivated enough these days.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Outrail posted:

We all worked at the same place. We all work at the same place. We will all work at the same place.

It’s all so clear now

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

McGavin posted:

Surprised that fifteen 10s in a row doesn't mean that you're great on the phones and now you're stuck there forever.

My wife worked at a place where they were continually trying to get her off the phones because she was excellent at selling and kept making too much off commission and making all her colleagues look bad. I think she was earning 4x what some of her peers were. Once she was finally forced off the phones and into management she lost all interest and quit after a few months. She earned the company somewhere in the region of 8 figures profit in the period she worked there on the phones and was not paid nearly enough imho (big financial company, corporate pension sales)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Funny to think that in:

quote:

In another case, a large financial services company began noticing employee turnover despite offering competitive salaries and growth opportunities.
"noticing" is probably major projects failing because the project teams walked out

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yup. You know who can afford to walk out? The people who know they'll get another job as soon as they want it.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Jaguars! posted:

Funny to think that in:

"noticing" is probably major projects failing because the project teams walked out

clearly the problem is that they offered growth opportunities and salaries that were too good, and it made the employees lazy. lowering pay is the solution here

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

teemolover42069 posted:

clearly the problem is that they offered growth opportunities and salaries that were too good, and it made the employees lazy. lowering pay is the solution here

"wow the company is finally offering me better pay and promotion opportunities - now I know i'm definitely worth it!" *immediately begins applying elsewhere*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Isn’t that how it usually works. The good employees that get poo poo done are going to walk at the first sign of corporate “loving around”. Then the company “finds out” all it has left is the bottom tier employees left. And all the work slows to a crawl.