Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

theironjef posted:

People saying "Good, now Comic Con can be about comics!"

No it can't you twitter dumbfucks. There are like five comic conventions in San Diego that are about comics, you just don't know about them because you don't actually give a poo poo, you just want to score points off "popular thing bad" posts. SDCC became about other poo poo like twenty years ago, and it will still be about most of them (exclusive toys foremost this time). Actual comic shops were priced out of booth space a long rear end time ago, and even if they had somehow predicted this AND dropped the prices this year, they'd still just fill up with t-shirt stores and poo poo. If you want a comic con about comics in SD this year, go to SD Comic Fest. If you want to be a wag about SDCC, maybe suggest it needs a name change.

I was involved in organising a smallish comic-con for a while and every year I pushed for more comics, particularly indie stuff. Most of the committee were fans or creators but the money was in film and TV memorabilia/guests and cosplay (which is fine, just not my forte). We weren't even profit driven, we were fans who wanted to create a con that we would attend and any meagre profit went into the following year, but we needed to at least break-even. We started having to be incredibly selective with booth space because one years we had multiple comic and toy shops just unloading pallets of Funkos.

We quit when a larger events company started their own queue-a-thon in the area with wrestling guests and genre actors. I don't think they had a single comics creative as a guest.

Queuing for a photo or autograph isn't really a big motivator for me - I won't say no if the opportunity comes up, but these collector events just give me the parasocial and consumerist ick. Basically, comic-cons don't really exist anymore.

That said, I am attending Thought Bubble this year which is exactly what I want from a con (panels and a focus on more minority creators), so I hope that continues.

Since this is a complaining safe-space, the loving incuriosity of nerds kills me. I was in a comic creation group locally for a while and none of them read actual books. Garbage space-cowboy anime in, garbage space-cowboy anime out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yet more complaining:

there's this dude at my work that constantly complains about the tiny union due on our paychecks, every paycheck day

motherfucker do you even understand how many people in the USA would kill to have a functional union? i'm all about this healthcare and pension, god bless our union and go to hell would-be scabs like yourself

e: like having an afl-cio air division badge is among the proudest things in my entire life, and you're sitting there whining that 3 dollars go to us and our comrades? get out

seriously gently caress those people. employers absolutely can and will drive you into the ground otherwise (and still can sometimes, but at least you're in a better position with one!!). I remember when I got hired at my current job and all of us except for one person were in the same union and she was all "unions never did anything for me" and when we got to the benefits part her healthcare cost was massively lower than ours for the same plans. even her increased dues that were like $50 still made it significantly cheaper. like ok lady, unions never did anything for you :rolleyes:

ALSO here you don't even have to pay dues to get the union to represent you (you can't vote on anything though)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I thought I'd cut my whole sandwich but a tiny bit of salami skin still held on and yanked the whole fuckin thing apart when I grabbed a slice. Dumb poo poo to happen.

Sandwich is tasty af tho

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A peeve I've run into a lot lately & probably has been mentioned...but when an online streaming service like Prime or Hulu says they have certain content, only to redirect you to a completely different service for said content. Case in point, I was trying to find a relatively new documentary online & Google immediately shows that it's available on HBO Max, Prime & Hulu. I figured sweet, I got Prime so I'll log in & check it out!

NOPE.

Prime just has a button to start a 7 day trial with HBO Max to see the doc. It's not actually on Prime after all, it's a literal bait & switch to try to get you signed up for another bullshit service. No wonder so many people stream poo poo illegally instead of dealing with that, I can't honestly blame them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When I call up my ISP with a problem that could not possibly be with my computers or routers because it happened to every device simultaneously and without any settings being changed, but they make me run tests on three different devices and reboot everything (even though obviously that was the first thing I tried) and reset my router to default settings so I have to go and set it back up again afterwards before finally admitting that yes, there is an issue on their end and they'll look into it.

I realise that some people will call up with problems that they have created themselves or without first attempting to turn everything off and on again, but did we really need to run the speed test on a wired connection and on both the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz wifi connections just to establish that yes, my upload speed is drastically lower than it should be?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A peeve I've run into a lot lately & probably has been mentioned...but when an online streaming service like Prime or Hulu says they have certain content, only to redirect you to a completely different service for said content. Case in point, I was trying to find a relatively new documentary online & Google immediately shows that it's available on HBO Max, Prime & Hulu. I figured sweet, I got Prime so I'll log in & check it out!

NOPE.

Prime just has a button to start a 7 day trial with HBO Max to see the doc. It's not actually on Prime after all, it's a literal bait & switch to try to get you signed up for another bullshit service. No wonder so many people stream poo poo illegally instead of dealing with that, I can't honestly blame them.

This is how I ended up paying for multiple versions of HBO by accident like a fuckin :corsair:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

When I call up my ISP with a problem that could not possibly be with my computers or routers because it happened to every device simultaneously and without any settings being changed, but they make me run tests on three different devices and reboot everything (even though obviously that was the first thing I tried) and reset my router to default settings so I have to go and set it back up again afterwards before finally admitting that yes, there is an issue on their end and they'll look into it.

I realise that some people will call up with problems that they have created themselves or without first attempting to turn everything off and on again, but did we really need to run the speed test on a wired connection and on both the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz wifi connections just to establish that yes, my upload speed is drastically lower than it should be?

I got a perfect 100/10 speed after I had ordered 500/50. I had to call in five times before I got someone who understood that they had the wrong product on my connection. Every time I had to restart everything and run speed tests with my PC wired directly to the cable modem. The first four just ran technical checks on my line, which of course came out perfect and they closed the case. One of them said that since I had 5 devices, each of them would get 100 mbit each. I had to request the recording of that one, but my ISP doesn't record calls. I almost cried when I got the last guy and he actually understood what the problem was.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
people who confuse "its" with "it's."

adults who chew with their mouth open

when people use "crescendo" when they mean "climax."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Its infuriating!

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Yore two tents.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
i hate it. i'll add to that the general misuses of apostrophes. this might be the result of phone posting. almost everything i type on my phone adds an apostrophe to just about every word that ends in an s.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tiggum posted:

I used to do phone tech support.

Look, you can scream until your blue in the face you unplugged and plugged everything back in, but 80% of our calls were solved because despite people going “oh yeah, I totally did that.” They did not, in fact, do that. So yeah, you’re forced to do stupid steps because the majority of the population ruined it for you because they would rather lie and say they did things just so they wouldn’t have to bend over for a minute.

It sucked rear end and I’d never do any type of phone support again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SonOfGhostDad posted:

i hate it. i'll add to that the general misuses of apostrophes. this might be the result of phone posting. almost everything i type on my phone adds an apostrophe to just about every word that ends in an s.

Thats how it work's, isnt it? Its plural's!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

i just turned autocorrect off completely and either manually put in apostrophes or use the autosuggest to fill it in.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

The Black Stones posted:

Look, you can scream until your blue in the face you unplugged and plugged everything back in, but 80% of our calls were solved because despite people going “oh yeah, I totally did that.” They did not, in fact, do that. So yeah, you’re forced to do stupid steps because the majority of the population ruined it for you because they would rather lie and say they did things just so they wouldn’t have to bend over for a minute.

I think some places probably require the customer service reps suggest all that too, otherwise they get in trouble. I don't hold it against them, it's not like either of us want to be on that call :negative:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that helps with Its is a realisation that someone else had that made it make more sense. It's not possessive in the way people think. It's not like "That person's", because it's not a noun, it's a PRONOUN. It's the same as his and hers. Its.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Black Stones posted:

Bonus if they reset something completely unrelated to the issue. "I unplugged & reconnected my microwave but wifi still doesn't work!!!"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Language is fluid and apostrophes can mean plural

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just apostrophe' alone?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

No you have to use at least two

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Bonus if they reset something completely unrelated to the issue. "I unplugged & reconnected my microwave but wifi still doesn't work!!!"
The customer or the tech support?

"My two desktops, laptop, phone and TV all lost internet simultaneously, but sure, I'll try rebooting 'the computer' and see if that helps."

Also, it's weird that at my ISP they always ask how many devices are usually connected to the internet and then seem really surprised when I say "I don't know, probably at least dozen?" Everything connects to the internet now. Do you want me to count up all the computers, TVs, phones, tablets, game consoles, etc. in the house?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't browse walmart.com anymore without being asked to sign in. Insanity

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I don't really think that Barbie v Oppenheimer (aka Barbenheimer) is that funny or interesting. Amazing: two movies with different themes released at the same time! :regd08:

Guess I just don't get why this is a thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I would like two tickets to each of these popular movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PancakeTransmission posted:

I don't really think that Barbie v Oppenheimer (aka Barbenheimer) is that funny or interesting. Amazing: two movies with different themes released at the same time! :regd08:

Because it owns

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It would be nice if people could go 'oh hey the way I do X is really noisy and very different from others, maybe I should change it?'.

The honors today goes to the new fresh-faced student hire who apparently never figured out how to drink coffee.
Step 1: Start sucking loudly
Step 2: Slowly bring cup up to lips
Step 3: Slurp like a goddamn motherfucker
Step 4: Exhale all exhausted like, as if you'd run a marathon
Step 5: Repeat

I really have no idea why all the new people hired into the team have the most obnoxious and loud tics at the office.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

People are starved for big movies that aren’t cape poo poo and they’re from directors with popular and critical acclaim so one could appear cultured by seeing both. It got really annoying because all memes get really annoying. The funny thing is that WB almost certainly planned the Barbie release date to spite Nolan and now it’s probably the main reason that a 3 hour historical biopic is a massive hit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Super cheap intentionally low-effort ads annoy me. If you're going to advertise to me, I demand the ad be presented with something that cost more than whatever you paid Some Guy With a Phone to talk to himself. I think they're supposed to look like, I don't know, Your Buddy sending you a video about how he can't believe how comfortable this mattress is, but come on. Come on.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SubNat posted:

It would be nice if people could go 'oh hey the way I do X is really noisy and very different from others, maybe I should change it?'.

The honors today goes to the new fresh-faced student hire who apparently never figured out how to drink coffee.
Step 1: Start sucking loudly
Step 2: Slowly bring cup up to lips
Step 3: Slurp like a goddamn motherfucker
Step 4: Exhale all exhausted like, as if you'd run a marathon
Step 5: Repeat

I really have no idea why all the new people hired into the team have the most obnoxious and loud tics at the office.
But it's hooooooooot!! I have to slurp it or I'd burn my mouuuuuuuuuth! :qq:

When I was a kid, my cousin would purposely do poo poo to irritate me, and one of those things would be an exaggerated '*gulp* AHHHHH!" after every sip of a drink. We came to blows over that. gently caress noisy drinking (and eating) forever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I like people who somehow turn the humble chip into a cacophony; turning it sideways and biting down with their mouth open as a perfect resonance chamber

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sound of a beverage being poured is for some reason extremely annoying to me, especially in advertising.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

At my job, people are really particular about what method of communication they prefer, be it email or Teams chat. This is fine, whatever. I'll use either, but if somebody tells me they prefer one over the other, I can accomodate.

I tend to default to email, especially if I've never communicated with that person before. What bugs me is when I do that and it happens to be somebody who vastly prefers a Teams message. So I'll ask them something, and they won't respond to the email, and then two weeks later I'll get a Teams message saying like "lol sry message me on Team if you need me!"

And it's like motherfucker we've never spoken before. I don't know what your preferences are! At least respond to the email and tell me to send you a Teams message. I will do that! But responding to your email is a pretty basic function of the job. What I I was a client or something! :argh:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HOLY gently caress posted:

I think some places probably require the customer service reps suggest all that too, otherwise they get in trouble. I don't hold it against them, it's not like either of us want to be on that call :negative:

Oh 100%

If I got a call that was monitored and my supervisor didn’t hear me walk through unplugging and plugging back in I was dinged because that’a step #1.

The best was when the ISP I worked for had some kind of centre go down and ALL their customers lost service. I took over 100 calls that day just picking up the phone going “it’s down! Yes I know it’s down! I don’t know when it will be back up!” The absolute best was people arguing for credits on their bill during that time. Dude it’s been 5 hours. Leave me alone.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

At my job, people are really particular about what method of communication they prefer, be it email or Teams chat. This is fine, whatever. I'll use either, but if somebody tells me they prefer one over the other, I can accomodate.

I tend to default to email, especially if I've never communicated with that person before. What bugs me is when I do that and it happens to be somebody who vastly prefers a Teams message. So I'll ask them something, and they won't respond to the email, and then two weeks later I'll get a Teams message saying like "lol sry message me on Team if you need me!"

And it's like motherfucker we've never spoken before. I don't know what your preferences are! At least respond to the email and tell me to send you a Teams message. I will do that! But responding to your email is a pretty basic function of the job. What I I was a client or something! :argh:

Oh my god I have coworkers who Will Not manage their inbox so they've just abandoned it and do everything through slack and assume all of us are the same way and so try rerouting everything to slack including automated poo poo that does not at all make sense for slacks format.

Managing your inbox has been a basic job skill since at least the 90s! Why haven't you been fired yet!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

This reminds me of working tech support for Comcast. It was my second job ever and had better benefits and pay than any job till my current one.

Problem: having to do this bullshit. You’re always recorded, and judged, based on following the script and upselling. So we’d be forced to walk people like Tiggum through bullshit even though we knew they hated us for it and it was pointless. It was not going to fix the problem and both parties knew.

And then on the other end, you get widow 82-year-old confused that her stories are out and she can’t call her grandkids. And you have to walk her through a power cycle. It is physically impossible for this poor person to shove aside her giant 1954 desk, crawl in, unscrew a coax cable, etc

But you have to tell her to do it. And if she requests a tech, it’s a charge, with an even bigger charge if it was something that « could have been done* » without a Comcast tech.

And if you try to be a human being and don’t upsell or follow the script or if you try to waive the bullshit fees or anything nice in your power management comes down on you, hope you didn’t want decent shifts or value your vacation cuz it’s discipline time

gently caress ISPs especially Comcast

*couldn’t have by this customer

E: spent my last day waiving every charge from every call I got and then cashed out all my vacation before quitting, which felt like a real badass labour hero move at 19

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Aug 3, 2023

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

The Black Stones posted:

The absolute best was people arguing for credits on their bill during that time. Dude it’s been 5 hours. Leave me alone.

My biggest pet peeve when I was a tech there and it'd been less than a day. I wanted to throw them some quarters and say "put it towards your bill dumbass".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I majored in Comp Sci at a state university (a good school but nowhere near 'elite'). One of the most important things that college taught me was humility: how much I didn't know about computer science or programming.

My pet peeve is Silicon Valley and the dickheads who reside there. I don't know what it is about tech but I can't stand people who think they're god because they know a little Java code. gently caress you and your condescending smug attitude.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My pet peeve is Silicon Valley and the dickheads who reside there. I don't know what it is about tech but I can't stand people who think they're god because they know a little Java code. gently caress you and your condescending smug attitude.

That’s all Starbucks employees though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I majored in Comp Sci at a state university (a good school but nowhere near 'elite'). One of the most important things that college taught me was humility: how much I didn't know about computer science or programming.

STEMlords are garbage to a man and the bay area sucks poo poo mostly because of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Bay Area and the Salt Lake Valley win in North America for natural beauty and “would be perfect if literally anyone else ruled there”