Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
On Win11 Windows Update seems to just automatically grab anything it has and that's worked out well for everything I've used it on.

Well, except for the GPU drivers for the Surface Pro 5, but Snappy got those so whatever, probably just MS being dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

On Win11 Windows Update seems to just automatically grab anything it has and that's worked out well for everything I've used it on.

Well, except for the GPU drivers for the Surface Pro 5, but Snappy got those so whatever, probably just MS being dumb

windows update not getting the correct drivers for a microsoft branded computer is pretty funny

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

windows update not getting the correct drivers for a microsoft branded computer is pretty funny

It really is

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

I think it’s actually intentional, because the “authorised” drivers for Surface devices typically have tweaks to minimise those products being savagely throttled for thermal or TDP limits. I guess because all video and display data appears to be buffered through the integrated Intel GPU regardless of whether your expensive slab of magnesium has a GTX or RTX card inside.

If I try to install any recent NVIDIA drivers from their website or GeForce Experience my dedicated GPU simply vanishes out of Device Manager. Only manually reinstalling an ancient NVIDIA release or the driver pushed by Windows Update restores it.

And I still see heavy throttling in daily use. Never again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I still have my surface pro 4 where the passively cooled igpu cooks itself using a web browser for more than two hours, so never again may be exactly what they had in mind too lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

woah there, playing a video? let me rev the fuckin fans I guess!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i bought and owned a surface pro for like 2 days before i decided i hated it and returned it. good times.

anyway how about that windows 11. i hear it's the hottest OS out there

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got a friend who buys hardware without understanding any of the important stuff and only on the gimmicky stuff. He had a surface pro, and that's why I won't buy one. His seemed like the jankiest piece of hardware ever and it ended up getting all kinds of weird hardware problems, like the screen ended up freaking out for this horizontal strip at the bottom.

Now he's got one of those laptops with 2 screens to replace it so I'm waiting for that to turn out to be a bad idea.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just tried the "Install website as app" feature for Fastmail. This is actually pretty sick

I do that with Vivaldi and YT Music. Better than nothing!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've done it with YouTube, Twitch, a couple of UK streaming services that don't have their own apps, and Google Maps. It's surprisingly useful!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I genuinely love my Surface... I just wish I sprang for the one with more ram

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Twibbit posted:

I genuinely love my Surface... I just wish I sprang for the one with more ram

How much RAM are you rocking?

The Outlook for Windows Preview web app is a buggy piece of poo poo and I wish it were dead. It keeps telling me I have already added an account I'm trying not add, but guess what - it's not there! Sometimes when I type in the account name, it says it's successfully added, then shows me another email address of mine entirely!

Googling this has been a loving nightmare, because having Outlook be the name of the loving Office application, a website and a preview app is not conducive to clarity. And those Microsoft forums are as useful as a chocolate loving teacup.

I've uninstalled the Outlook Pre app and tried it all several times but there's clearly a cached folder somewhere still trolling me. Any idea where it could be?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 30, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad told me that his Surface (no idea what specific kind) had him in the wrong time zone (Central US rather than Eastern). He had the "automatically detect time zone" toggled on, so he toggled it off and manually chose the correct time zone. I've had this happen occasionally on at least one of my computers, but I was able to toggle the automatic switch off then back on and Windows got the right time zone. That wasn't working for him. Does anyone know how to fix this so it works correctly?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Windows/Microsoft geolocated his device incorrectly, probably because his ip changed. Generally gets fixed quickly these days (as advertisers want to know where you are).

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Do I still have to install a 3rd party app to get the taskbar on a secondary monitor without it being on the main monitor in win11?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No, except for the system tray/notifications, those are always only on the main unless a third party program does that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like how you used to be able to stuff enough widgets into the widgets sidebar to hide the mandatory news feed, so MS just made the news feed an independent column (incidentally, leaving much less space for widgets).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has something changed with remote desktop in Win11? I tried to RD into my home machine from work and I'm getting "logon attempt failed" error with my usual account, and for another account on the machine it correctly says it's not authorized for remote access:

Is this some win11 fuckery? I don't RD home often but I think it worked before the update, and I was just able to connect from my android phone too. Maybe something with azure cloud BS? It seems to insist that I use "email address" as my user name, which of course isn't a thing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

mobby_6kl posted:

Has something changed with remote desktop in Win11? I tried to RD into my home machine from work and I'm getting "logon attempt failed" error with my usual account, and for another account on the machine it correctly says it's not authorized for remote access:

Is this some win11 fuckery? I don't RD home often but I think it worked before the update, and I was just able to connect from my android phone too. Maybe something with azure cloud BS? It seems to insist that I use "email address" as my user name, which of course isn't a thing.

Is your Win11 PC account connected to a Microsoft account? If so, use that email/password for the login.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Try using whatever email address you used to access microsoft services. Whether it's xbox/game stuff, the windows store, office, onedrive, minecraft, or email. Win10 started forcibly associating your local account with an online one when you did certain things.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 2, 2023

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When I hit the PRTSC key, Windows 11 now forces me to choose several options (rectangle, freeform, etc.) instead of automatically taking a screenshot of my full screen like it's done for years. How do I get it to stop presenting these options?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WerthersWay posted:

When I hit the PRTSC key, Windows 11 now forces me to choose several options (rectangle, freeform, etc.) instead of automatically taking a screenshot of my full screen like it's done for years. How do I get it to stop presenting these options?

Either hit Win+prtscr, which screenshots and saves automatically, or in settings -> ease of access -> keyboard turn off the “use prtscrn to open screen snipping” option and then prtscrn will put a screenshot on the clipboard only.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

WerthersWay posted:

Oh hey, they finally did the smart thing. Now how many years will it take me to forget win+shift+s?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kalman posted:

Either hit Win+prtscr, which screenshots and saves automatically, or in settings -> ease of access -> keyboard turn off the “use prtscrn to open screen snipping” option and then prtscrn will put a screenshot on the clipboard only.

Perfect. Thank you!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is your Win11 PC account connected to a Microsoft account? If so, use that email/password for the login.

Khorne posted:

Try using whatever email address you used to access microsoft services. Whether it's xbox/game stuff, the windows store, office, onedrive, minecraft, or email. Win10 started forcibly associating your local account with an online one when you did certain things.
My work Win11 PC is on MS account, the home machine is an older Win10 that's I've managed to avoid infecting. Maybe today I'll have some time to dig through the logs on the home PC and see how it was trying to log in.

Anyway, I now have a new fun issue, this laptop doesn't detect any USB-C monitor any more. But I'll just have our IT deal with this poo poo now :shrug:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm just curious about this, but does anyone know why my computer refuses to go to sleep sometimes? I set it to sleep, but it immediately snaps out of it. My PC is an insomniac just like me...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

god please help me posted:

I'm just curious about this, but does anyone know why my computer refuses to go to sleep sometimes? I set it to sleep, but it immediately snaps out of it. My PC is an insomniac just like me...

when that happens, open a terminal with administrator and do powercfg -lastwake, powercfg -requests to see what might have a sleep lock.

but its probably your network adapter that doesn't have the "only magic packet" to wake up and if you don't have a sleep timeout whenever that happens it won't go back to sleep.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The previous post is more likely, but if it isn’t working, a lot of joysticks won’t let your computer sleep if they’re plugged in for some loving reason.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

In an elevated command prompt*, paste powercfg /lastwake to see what made it wake up most recently.

Often this can be a game controller, or a mouse that's very sensitive os has a hair in the sensor. If it's that you can find the appropriate thing in device manager, go into properties -> power management -> uncheck allow this device to wake the computer. (Some cool gamer mice may have more than one device in device manager so you might have to do that more than once.)

*win10, right click start, choose command prompt (admin). win11 I think they got rid of that.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
its been years that i've had a mouse that keeps its optical/laser on while asleep, mine you have to click a mouse button, even the scroll wheel won't take it out of sleep

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I think y'all are right about it being a USB mouse issue. Though using the terminal commands powercfg /lastwake and powercfg -requests didn't bring up anything nefarious at cause (/lastwake just brought up "Wake History Count - 0", while -requests occasionally brought up any video or podcast I was listening to at the moment or nothing at all), I'm pretty sure now that it's strictly an issue with how much/how little my PC is paying attention to my USB mouse and keyboard.

My keyboard? I think it is acknowledging keypresses even if it won't wake the PC from sleep. Once I wake my PC, I see a window popped up if I want to open something based on whatever random keys I pushed to try to wake the PC. But the keyboard is then unresponsive and unpowered, so I have to disconnect the USB C cable from it and plug it back in again to get things working once more.

Meanwhile, my mouse? I believe that even the tiniest lingering movement that comes after selecting Sleep stops my PC from sleeping. But if I make sure to be really delicate with my mouse movement and let my PC go to sleep, mouse movement doesn't matter anymore, and clicking the mouse is the only that wakes the PC. (I also just checked my mouse for any hairs in the sensor, and there were some. I removed them with a tweezer, but still same results. Nonetheless, I'm grateful for the advice because living with a dog around, there was a surprising amount of hair.)

I'm pretty sure now that this isn't a virus issue at least, so I'm much calmer than I was before. Maybe the solution will be something really simple like unplugging and replugging in my USB hubs that I have my mouse and keyboard connected to? I'm not sure...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My wireless mouse and keyboard are so sensitive that I've had people walking in my bedroom wake my PC up from sleep because they "moved" it enough lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm pretty sure now that this isn't a virus issue at least, so I'm much calmer than I was before. Maybe the solution will be something really simple like unplugging and replugging in my USB hubs that I have my mouse and keyboard connected to? I'm not sure...

the hubs. It is the hubs. Hubs are of varying quality and may not always strictly conform to usb standards and can introduce weird behaviors like not handling powering up or powering down HID devices properly.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

My wireless mouse and keyboard are so sensitive that I've had people walking in my bedroom wake my PC up from sleep because they "moved" it enough lol

Sometimes I have to whack my MX Master 2S around like a madman trying to wake my PC up from hibernation because the first move only wakes up the mouse, the second one sends a signal over Logitech's own wireless protocol to wake up the PC too. Incidentally this would be easily solved by clicking twice or hitting literally any key on the keyboard, but I've somehow learned a habit of shaking the mouse a bit when I still had a G400 and can't escape it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I thought the new Windows 11 context menus were meant to prevent third parties from adding poo poo to them? AMD Adrenaline software has cheekily added itself to both the modern and legacy right click context menus. I've tried removing the registry entry supposedly responsible for the addition, but it seems to be deprecated and it's still there. My Google-fu has failed me. He;pl!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No the new menus are still customizable by installed software, but there are more limits on what it can do with the menus. In the original Windows 95 shell extension model, a shell extension can run code and actively examine files and stuff every time you open a menu, and that can cause hangs and crashes with less than the absolutely most robust code. The new model doesn't allow an extension to examine anything such, only specify some basic rules that File Explorer can check quickly and easily.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought the new Windows 11 context menus were meant to prevent third parties from adding poo poo to them? AMD Adrenaline software has cheekily added itself to both the modern and legacy right click context menus. I've tried removing the registry entry supposedly responsible for the addition, but it seems to be deprecated and it's still there. My Google-fu has failed me. He;pl!

Not a W11 user here, but for W10, I'd use Autoruns and look in the Explorer tab, and make careful notes about what I disable.

Don't be surprised if AMD has a helper service (or whatever such things are called these days) that quietly undoes whatever you do.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

nielsm posted:

No the new menus are still customizable by installed software, but there are more limits on what it can do with the menus. In the original Windows 95 shell extension model, a shell extension can run code and actively examine files and stuff every time you open a menu, and that can cause hangs and crashes with less than the absolutely most robust code. The new model doesn't allow an extension to examine anything such, only specify some basic rules that File Explorer can check quickly and easily.

Is there anything stopping 7-Zip from doing that? It's literally the only thing I need in the regular context menu, unless Microsoft want to modernise the built-in feature with a few quick unzip options instead of having to open a menu.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Imagine just supporting context menu customization as an actual feature of your OS.

Nah - let just delete it. You can't right click with your touch screen anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't tell if that's a joke or if you genuinely don't know that you can right click on a touch screen with your finger.