Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Risky Bisquick posted:

You sound like you'd be interested in a Peavey T40

I had one of those for a short time, was a bitch to play, strings hit everything, and the best tone I could get out of it was only as good as the worst tone on my L2000.

I made a few bucks on it, at least.

If you do like switches and a ridiculous amount of grunt, check out a G&L L2000.

The 'Tribute' series are hell affordable, have the same pickups and hardware as the US ones and are built very well.

The US ones are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The G&L bridge is the greatest innovation in decades too

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was at a guitar show this weekend, but I was only looking, otherwise I probably would have bought this thing.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Aside from the ridiculousness of the body, that thing must be so terrible to play with the bridge that far into the body and the top strap location where it’s at it. The neck is going to feel like a half foot farther to the left than it should.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Absolutely.

I’d shave the top horn into a Tele bass shape so it would fit the country content too.

Edit: there’s some sweet pun about it being a Carvin’ bass somewhere in there too :haw:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 17, 2023

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was at a guitar show this weekend, but I was only looking, otherwise I probably would have bought this thing.

lmao this reminds me texturally of one of those topographical maps that has the relief of like mountains and poo poo built out

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I don’t own one and don’t even think Ive played one but sadowsky seems like a pretty cool company.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvH_PC9KC6n/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
This is a long shot, but does anyone recognise this make of bridge:

It came on a modified Fresher J bass I got from Japan.

I'm guessing it's an eight string bridge, but the bit that holds the string balls comes off, doesn't seem to match the little screws and only has space for four regular strings.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Picked up an SLM-era Ampeg SVT-410hlf for a really good price from a local bassist who was downsizing.

4ohms, 500w rms. Sounds absolutely wonderful, nice deep low fundamental and all the punch of a 410. Got an outdoor festival gig this weekend and can't wait to stretch its legs. Following that we're playing some of our favorite rooms, so lots of fun ahead with this!

I'm actually gonna keep an eye out for another one... since moving to a poweramp setup, I now have 2 channels of 700w @ 4ohms each... I'd love to be running what would essentially be an 810hlf

Since 2006 I've been playing thru an Ampeg BSE410H and BSE115, and while I love that stack, I got a feeling they're gonna get off-loaded soon...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I was gifted a 4x10 recently and without neo speakers, I don’t think I could do it anymore. :knope:

I blew out the tweeter in my Markbass combo a few years ago when we did an out of town gig and nobody had a compatible second cabinet and the venue wasn’t putting bass into their PA.

I never really used the combo at home (headphones and 11rack) so it wasn’t until recently I realized it was making odd buzzing noises and poo poo.

Picked up this slightly higher rated tweeter to replace the (in-hand)LeSon that failed.

I also added a jack between the cabinet and head. This gave me a chance to run my Traynor YBA-1A through it and it was glorious.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What are some good starter pedals? I've already got a DI box (that I don't really know how to use) and a simple compressor (that I don't really know how to use). I'm in a metal jam group, some kind of distortion would probably be a good idea.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Solumin posted:

What are some good starter pedals? I've already got a DI box (that I don't really know how to use) and a simple compressor (that I don't really know how to use). I'm in a metal jam group, some kind of distortion would probably be a good idea.

Check our Darkglass pedals for overdrive/distortion. I have a B3k v2 from Darkglass and love it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solumin posted:

Polytune, a muff fuzz of some kind, chorus, a decent preamp (anything sansamp)

kare
Mar 19, 2002

Laserface posted:

Polytune, a muff fuzz of some kind, chorus, a decent preamp (anything sansamp)

A Muff is probably the last thing you need for metal

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh is there rules now?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Laserface posted:

Oh is there rules now?

You won't get copped by the pedal police for crimes against tone, no, but there's anecdotal experience to recommend other stuff.

Muff type circuits don't really go to the place that most modern-ish metal goes. They also have a tendency to get buried in the mix, which some people like but I don't (I also don't really like the sound of d'addario strings for the same reason, DR nickels have a better mids profile to cut through the mix in my experience).

If you want something that can get typical metal sounds from the 90s ish to today ish, I would pick the Boss ODB-3, Sansamp, MXR M85, or one of the Darkglass (I like the VMT, but the B3k, AO, X all will do it well too, just check some demos for your preferred flavor)... hell I'd take a Rat before I grab a Muff. And that's just scratching the surface of options.

I just feel that there's better sounding options out there compared to the Muff stuff, even if you don't want to pay the Darkglass tax and want to stick to Muff prices.

E: seconding a tuner pedal rec, having an effortless mute button is real nice. And, you know, playing somewhat close to in tune. You've already got a comp, that's a common piece of the puzzle. Chorus can be fun in a metal-adjacent sound, Boss is the easy choice but MXR also does a good one and Walrus makes an excellent one (also their flanger is baller). For ~3 pedals, in my opinion a daisy chain power supply like the One Spot is acceptable, but once you get to that 3-ish level, it's time to start considering an isolated pedalboard power supply like the Cioks DC7, TrueTone CS6, Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus or whatever other model fits your needs from those brands)

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 2, 2023

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Darkglass has some good pedals for metal sound. One big trick i learned is to always mix clean with distorted sound, and a simple chain with an overdrive/distortion/fuzz or whatnot just doesn't let you do that. Darkglass pedals do have the option (probably other modern-ish pedals do as well)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A tuner really simplifies things and will make your life easier. I really enjoy my polytune noir and its real small on my pedalboard. Speaking of, do you have one? Feels everyone starts out with pedals akimbo and having a pedalboard set and ready to go with an onboard power box WILL make your life easier as well. After that it's just trial and practice. Personally, I wouldn't go after a chorus pedal as one of my first purchases, but again that's a taste thing.

My first pedal that hasn't budged from the board is my Darkglass microtube pre-amp. Really allows you to get the tone regardless of what amp you're using.

Most of all, have fun with it! Its a loving journey.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

adary posted:

Darkglass has some good pedals for metal sound. One big trick i learned is to always mix clean with distorted sound, and a simple chain with an overdrive/distortion/fuzz or whatnot just doesn't let you do that. Darkglass pedals do have the option (probably other modern-ish pedals do as well)

I should cheat and do this the Chris Squire way with a stereo cable sometime. I legit forgot that I redid my pedal board with the dumb poo poo I over bought for guitar and an added octaver since the last time pedals came up.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Solumin posted:

What DI box do you have, and what’s your amp situation? Being able to be heard is much more important than any pedal.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

What DI box do you have, and what’s your amp situation? Being able to be heard is much more important than any pedal.

Truth.

Newish players are always eager to get a pedalboard going as quickly as possible... and I get it, they're fun and interesting. And if having pedals means that you pick up your bass and play it more, then by all means, knock yourself out!

But having a good amp (or preamp/DI) is gonna make you sound better both with or without pedals.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

DrChu posted:

DI box is this Tech 21 Sansamp VT Bass DI: https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/vtbass-di/

For amps, I've got a Rumble 40 for practicing in my apartment and a Rumble 200 for playing with people.
I really only use the DI box for home recording, for which I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. (just like everyone else, lol.)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Solumin posted:

DI box is this Tech 21 Sansamp VT Bass DI: https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/vtbass-di/

For amps, I've got a Rumble 40 for practicing in my apartment and a Rumble 200 for playing with people.
I really only use the DI box for home recording, for which I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. (just like everyone else, lol.)
Run the DI in front of your amp and take some time playing around with the Drive and Character controls. It won't give you every overdrive/distortion sound but will get you enough to get a feel for that kind of effect. Your amp has its own overdrive as well, so I would skip one of those types of pedals for now. That Rumble 200 only puts out 140W with the internal speaker, which will really only barely cut it, especially if you have a loud drummer. I'd budget for an extension cabinet to get the full power out of that thing if you like the sound and want to keep it.

Definitely get a tuner. You do not need a fancy isolated multi-output power supply brick that costs twice as much as the pedal to run it. A One Spot with a daisy chain can easily handle the tuner, VT Bass, and your compressor. If you don't have it already, maybe also get the optional footswitch for the Rumble so you can toggle the overdrive without pressing the button on the amp itself.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Turbinosamente posted:

I should cheat and do this the Chris Squire way with a stereo cable sometime. I legit forgot that I redid my pedal board with the dumb poo poo I over bought for guitar and an added octaver since the last time pedals came up.

this is what i do for my band, i run my neck pickup clean with some phaser and fuzz the poo poo out of the bridge pickup

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solumin posted:

That DI/preamp is basically all you need for good tone.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm currently using the effects loop of a bandmate's bass head to power my helix as a pre-amp, is there any sort of amp people would recommend to replace that? the tc electronic BAM200 seems sick but if there's something simpler and/or cheaper it'd be nice.
e: the bam doesn't have a loop so i don't see why it gets suggested so much.

muike fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 9, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
My wild guess is because it's one of the few available mini amp heads and cheaper than the E.L.F. one around.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Find a rack mount PA power amp in whatever wattage you need, it’s going to be cheaper than buying a regular bass head and then ignoring the preamp section.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

muike posted:

i'm currently using the effects loop of a bandmate's bass head to power my helix as a pre-amp, is there any sort of amp people would recommend to replace that? the tc electronic BAM200 seems sick but if there's something simpler and/or cheaper it'd be nice.
e: the bam doesn't have a loop so i don't see why it gets suggested so much.

I use a QSC GX5 as my power amp pushing my cab(s), and I absolutely love it. Didn't see any point in getting an actual bass amp when my b2r died because I had been bypassing the preamp on that for like 15 years.

Having the flexibility to push two separate channels either full-range or crossed-over is pretty nice too, even if I don't really have a need for it.

If you have a preamp that you absolutely love (like me), I think it makes more sense if you don't mind toting around a rack case of some type.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Very good suggestion! will definitely check those out. thank you!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orange make amps called "pedal baby" that are just 100w power stages designed for this purpose, if you didn't want a rack mount sized unit.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Laserface posted:

Orange make amps called "pedal baby" that are just 100w power stages designed for this purpose, if you didn't want a rack mount sized unit.

Its a great idea, but 100w won't get you very far for bass in a live setting. It'd be nice if they had a 300w-500w unit specifically for bass, but this is definitely geared towards guitarists.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I just scored an absolutely mint Fender 410 Pro bass cab locally for $170usd. Never been gigged :banjo: The seller was telling me people were still trying to lowball him on it at that price

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Risky Bisquick posted:

I just scored an absolutely mint Fender 410 Pro bass cab locally for $170usd. Never been gigged :banjo: The seller was telling me people were still trying to lowball him on it at that price

Great find! That's an absolute stupid good price for a 500w rms cab

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah hella jealous

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've been cleaning up some open style machine heads from some old Japanese basses and I'm not sure what to relubricate them with. Anyone have any ideas?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
A Mike Kerr (Royal Blood) signature Jaguar Bass is forthcoming, which is good timing as I was interested in a Jag bass but his are a very particular Custom Shop job in shortscale which is normally only available on Squires (and not clearly listed by stores)

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

currently I'm running my behringer sansamp clone di into an old studio monitor at home for amplification. I'm just using the 1/4 out, should I be using a mic cable/will it make any difference?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

field balm posted:

currently I'm running my behringer sansamp clone di into an old studio monitor at home for amplification. I'm just using the 1/4 out, should I be using a mic cable/will it make any difference?

I don't think that it has a cab sim in either output so it shouldn't make too much of a difference. If you have an xlr cable and your monitor has an input it might be worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only difference between 1/4" and XLR is the noise floor is lower, I thought? Better for mixing. If there's audible noise on the line from the pre amp on 1/4" it may still be there with the XLR output.