Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the movie 300 was more racist and fascist than Frank Miller’s original vision. the Immortals weren’t orcs in the comic for one thing.

or how about the totally superfluous rape subplot, whose only purpose is to imply that liberals are a fifth column who will cuck soldiers while they’re away.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I never read the comic but I didn't get a whiff of satire from the movie

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't forget they also made 300: Rise of Empire which is probably even worse
Though that is more based around Athenians and Themistocles but still invovles Spartans, and some god awaful CGI at the end of the movie depicting the Spartan navy

Digital Jedi has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Jul 25, 2023

coathat
May 21, 2007

I will forget that immediately

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I don't think anyone watched the 300 sequel.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the spartan navy kept trying to put a screen door on a trireme

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think anyone watched the 300 sequel.
I watched it on a plane. Eva Green showed her boobs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the discourse around 300 when it came out was awesome, people were basically like "this documentary shows why we invaded iraq, which is to defend white civilization from the muslim hordes"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Man you people are old.

Discourse? I was just watching this is sparta clips on YTMND back then.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

300 proved the spartans right for doing eugenics bc that perfidious hunchback went turncoat on them

hope all that persian strange was worth it bro!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I started the Bronze Lie and it's great for demonstrating how thoroughly average Sparta was at the one thing they prided themselves on (warfare) and how every other aspect of their society was dogshit not worth protecting, except maybe women's empowerment (compared to most of their neighbors)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah ancient Greece was notably lovely about women's rights in general so Spartan noblewomen being maybe on par with medieval noblewomen puts them ahead of the pack.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spartan women were also valued as tutors across the Ancient Greek world because they didn’t have any hesitation when it came to abusing kids.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

300 proved the spartans right for doing eugenics bc that perfidious hunchback went turncoat on them

hope all that persian strange was worth it bro!!

it is.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also there were a lot of funny meems.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

John finally settles down in the boot heel of Italy and it promptly burns to the ground.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Omnicarus posted:

John finally settles down in the boot heel of Italy and it promptly burns to the ground.

The spirit of California is with him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1683834794868629504

mark,

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

this man needs to do drugs again or something, there's a spinal deficiency somewhere

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
he's settled into being a nice north eastern liberal who spends 90% of his time hyperventilating about his kid's allergies.
a fate worse than death imo

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

He's just doesn't post here and doesn't care about keeping up with CSPAM memes.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mark should post in cspam, i would protect him

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

mark should post in cspam, i would protect him

As nuts as we are we can't be worse than the local news comments sections Dolan reads

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we'd kate beaton mark out of here so fast

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

there was the tall about Russia not really wanting to take bakhmut and how Wagner were just meant to draw in Ukrainian troops to be killed.

prigozhin supposedly went and took it against orders because he didn't like being bait or something

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i say swears online posted:

we'd kate beaton mark out of here so fast

goons can't help getting weird with middle aged men

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

I started the Bronze Lie and it's great for demonstrating how thoroughly average Sparta was at the one thing they prided themselves on (warfare) and how every other aspect of their society was dogshit not worth protecting, except maybe women's empowerment (compared to most of their neighbors)

That looks good now, but keep in mind that staying home and managing the holdings was seen as weak poo poo by spartan society. It's the stuff the derided the Messenians for. So they didn't give women that role out of any respect, but because it was below any spartiate.

As a point of comparison, it's like looking back at feudal Spain and going "Wow, they must have really valued and honored their jewish folk, letting them handle so many early financial institutions!" when it was actually 'dirty' stuff they were happy to relegate to a tolerated sub-group.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/carlbeijer/status/1686457837193412631?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a black/gold adidas tracksuit is cool af if you can pull it off

unfortunately,

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he looks good

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think he looks good, and headline aside, he supports class first leftism throughout and points to idpol emerging after Occupy as weakening the left. It's just that the only people who will give you a platform to talk about that are the right.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the nazis let me rail against finance capitalism all I want, what a sweet gig. nothing bad can happen

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I think he looks good, and headline aside, he supports class first leftism throughout and points to idpol emerging after Occupy as weakening the left. It's just that the only people who will give you a platform to talk about that are the right.

matt taibbi thinks cops are working class so he is actually promotijng the ideology of being a dumbass

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Matt Taibbi looks like a big adult baby

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I spent several seconds trying to decide whether q-anon was more or less respectable than the falun gong before concluding it was a wash

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

FF I respect ya man but down this path is the way of Crowsbeak

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I would agree with you but this is Matt Taibbi we're talking about, if he ever had any genuine principles he purged them from his soul many years ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

a black/gold adidas tracksuit is cool af if you can pull it off

unfortunately,

post your fit op

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

the nazis let me rail against finance capitalism all I want, what a sweet gig. nothing bad can happen

love to rail against "finance capitalists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

love to rail against "finance capitalists"

as opposed to the regular kind who are cool guys