Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If employers are going to force to to go to a central location to do work that could be handled remotely then yeah, they should pay for your commute. Businesses sometimes pay relocation costs if you have to move because your job physically can't be done at a separate location, this is the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember living with a guy from Belgium circa 2013 who said he was a mechanical engineer. He said that back then it was completely normal in his field for Belgian companies to provide company cars and a company gas card to employees who choose to commute instead of relocating. Keep in mind that most people in Belgium don’t need a car and can (and do) get around via transit.

I’d be ok with us office job companies to reimburse gas at the bare minimum. I imagine reimbursing gas would work out to be cheaper than paying an office worker for “idle” time commuting.

E: driving still loving sucks tho

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 1, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Get this: Higher attrition is an intended outcome of return-to-work policies for many employers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jesus III posted:

I love that some of you want to protect a poo poo rear end job like grocery clerk. Unemployment is 4%. Go get a better job.

I love your impersonation of a weirdo conservative.

Baronash posted:

"30% of companies are having trouble filling positions" is not exactly surprising considering unemployment is under 4%. I'd be interested to see a more detailed look into how remote work specifically is impacting that number.

This is surprising, because I know I personally would consider my remote work option to be worth a hell of a lot more than 2-3% of my paycheck.

2-3% of a paycheck is less than what many people save on gas and being able to make food at home instead of eating out at a place near their office, let alone wear and tear on their vehicles and time spent sitting in traffic. I'd probably lose 1.5-2hrs a day if I had to commute and that's time that I'm not being paid for either so yeah if I need to go into the office at this point there better be a drat good reason for it.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I remember living with a guy from Belgium circa 2013 who said he was a mechanical engineer. He said that back then it was completely normal in his field for Belgian companies to provide company cars and a company gas card to employees who choose to commute instead of relocating. Keep in mind that most people in Belgium don’t need a car and can (and do) get around via transit.

I’d be ok with us office job companies to reimburse gas at the bare minimum. I imagine reimbursing gas would work out to be cheaper than paying an office worker for “idle” time commuting.

US companies don't even have to pay you for time spent in mandatory security checks (Amazon) that you will be fired for refusing to submit yourself to. We're going to need a serious worker rights movement, again, before reimbursement for commuting to WFH-capable jobs (or any jobs) is ever remotely considered.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Buddy, it's a challenge convincing a large segment of the population that all people are even deserving of human rights, or for that matter are even human, I'm disappointedly not holding my breath

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Blut posted:

I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.

In america online groceries delivered mean you're paying a bunch in delivery fees/tips/etc, and with people living paycheck to paycheck that money makes a difference.

The most you see people doing is online order and pick up as those are usually free, but even then if you are going there already you can just go in and interact with people.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

tech nightmares: for employees have tasted the forbidden fruit of flexible work

Gotta say I don't like flexibility, that just reads as insecurity of work to me.

e: I get that in this instance it's referring to the flexibility of working from home or an office. I just have a bad gut reaction to the word flexible as it's been used so often to refer to making work precarious and short term and putting a positive spin on it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 2, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"flexible work hours!"

Read: you will never get more than 1-4 shifts a week, you're unofficially expected to be on call, and your scheduled days off will always rotate. :fuckoff:

Let the food service industry loving die like it deserves.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jose Valasquez posted:

Mine is, they just don't know it

Big same. I just spent two years expected to NOT come into the office. I am now being required to come into the office so many times a week. Goddamn right that my commute time to comply with that requirement counts towards my 40 a week.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Blut posted:

I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.

100% this.

I pay £40/week (~$55) for grocery delivery for my wife & I. Reasons it's better:

- Not having this boring conversation about self-check-out Vs staffed every week.
- No parking at grocery store.
- No impulse buys
- Not having to remember "where the gently caress are the eggs in this specific store?" Everything is a search away.
- Always know in advance if what I need is available or not, so I don't have to go to the grocery store with 5 contingency meal plans just in case a key ingredient is gone
- "But I must pick my own produce!" Do you really think that you're finding that one apple/potato/bok choi at the bottom that gives you special dick-hardening powers? I've been ordering for over 5 years, and I got a bad bell pepper, once. Complained on Twitter & they gave me a £20 voucher plus delivered a new pepper to me the next day. They are aware fussy produce preferences is a huge barrier to entry & have mitigated it.
- Being able to make my order at like 11pm on a Sunday night, knowing it will arrive right on time at 7pm on Wednesday. I get groceries when I want them, not when I have 2 hours to spare when I can be away from my house in traffic.

Grocery shopping is hell in person. Every time I have to do it, if I forgot something online, I have an awful experience in comparison. It's like Amazon Vs Walmart.

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 2, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Goddamn you people are hosed up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goddamn you people are hosed up.

If we weren't we wouldn't be here.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah this is still the case today.

In my current company: you either get a company car + company gas card for a slight reduction in wage (it's an extremely good deal) or you get a compensation whcich increases the longer your commute is. The compensation is enough to pay for the cost of using public transport every day, but you can also use it to pay the gas of your own car if you prefer that.

Bicycling to work gives an additional separate bonus on top of this.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Kroger is a union shop, so using the self-checkout is scabbing.

Kroger is also damned close to a monopoly, so they don’t need to staff appropriately.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I only eat what I kill with my own hands. It's the most convenient way.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nenonen posted:

I only eat what I kill with my own hands. It's the most convenient way.

You must be starving.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Boris Galerkin posted:

FWIW, at my workplace I can lease an electric bike that gets heavily subsidised, and/or I can have a transit pass for 16€/month that is valid in (almost) all regional transit in the entire country (used to be just Northern Germany). It's even valid on our ferries. Some companies let you lease a car at very good conditions, a scheme that is extremely heavily subsidised by the state.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

FWIW, at my workplace I can lease an electric bike that gets heavily subsidised, and/or I can have a transit pass for 16€/month that is valid in (almost) all regional transit in the entire country (used to be just Northern Germany). It's even valid on our ferries. Some companies let you lease a car at very good conditions, a scheme that is extremely heavily subsidised by the state.

Annoyingly at my UK workplace, you can get bike and car leases through work at pretty good rates - but you can't get anything for public transport. You used to be able to get discounted travel passes, but a bunch of companies here removed their staff public transport benefits around the same time some years back, I think it was to do with some change in tax rules that made it less appealing for them to offer that perk.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mister Facetious posted:

"flexible work hours!"

Read: you will never get more than 1-4 shifts a week, you're unofficially expected to be on call, and your scheduled days off will always rotate. :fuckoff:

I mean it’s completely obvious we are talking about salaried office jobs here, not jobs where people have to fight/politic to get enough hours to work every week.

E: Personal experience and also asking around friends at different companies it does seem like office hours are more flexible nowadays. It’s not uncommon for companies to have core business hours that you must available during (say 9am to 3pm) but outside of that you can work with your manager/team on when you wanna show up and leave work/sign off teams/slack/chat.

Also if they ask you if you want a laptop you just say no because otherwise “why didn’t you check your email at 9pm” can’t be answered with “because I wasn’t able to, you see I don’t have a secure work computer at home”.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 2, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Yeah this is still the case today.

In my current company: you either get a company car + company gas card for a slight reduction in wage (it's an extremely good deal) or you get a compensation whcich increases the longer your commute is. The compensation is enough to pay for the cost of using public transport every day, but you can also use it to pay the gas of your own car if you prefer that.

Bicycling to work gives an additional separate bonus on top of this.

That’s cool. I just specific “back then” cause I wasn’t sure if they still did that in Belgium but cool to know they still do.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: Personal experience and also asking around friends at different companies it does seem like office hours are more flexible nowadays. It’s not uncommon for companies to have core business hours that you must available during (say 9am to 3pm) but outside of that you can work with your manager/team on when you wanna show up and leave work/sign off teams/slack/chat.

That is very common even outside of pure office work in Germany. Whether you are a janitor or a computer toucher at my university (i.e. tech/admin staff, not student, not a scientist), you work 38.7h/week and your core is 09:00 to 15:00 (13:00 on a Friday). Nowadays, timekeeping is mandatory as well.

Public sector sets the floor for many other private companies so they have to offer significantly more pay (not hard to do :v:), or have better working conditions than that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mourning Due posted:

100% this.

I pay £40/week (~$55) for grocery delivery for my wife & I. Reasons it's better:

- Not having this boring conversation about self-check-out Vs staffed every week.
- No parking at grocery store.
- No impulse buys
- Not having to remember "where the gently caress are the eggs in this specific store?" Everything is a search away.
- Always know in advance if what I need is available or not, so I don't have to go to the grocery store with 5 contingency meal plans just in case a key ingredient is gone
- "But I must pick my own produce!" Do you really think that you're finding that one apple/potato/bok choi at the bottom that gives you special dick-hardening powers? I've been ordering for over 5 years, and I got a bad bell pepper, once. Complained on Twitter & they gave me a £20 voucher plus delivered a new pepper to me the next day. They are aware fussy produce preferences is a huge barrier to entry & have mitigated it.
- Being able to make my order at like 11pm on a Sunday night, knowing it will arrive right on time at 7pm on Wednesday. I get groceries when I want them, not when I have 2 hours to spare when I can be away from my house in traffic.

Grocery shopping is hell in person. Every time I have to do it, if I forgot something online, I have an awful experience in comparison. It's like Amazon Vs Walmart.

55 a week? That’s some expensive delivery you got there

I buy everything online but my groceries I go to the store and buy. Because I like to choose and because I don’t want to pay delivery. And also because is good to get of the house once in a while, and I usually go with my bicycle and so also get some exercise, maybe stop by the beach etc

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Elias_Maluco posted:

55 a week? That’s some expensive delivery you got there

I buy everything online but my groceries I go to the store and buy. Because I like to choose and because I don’t want to pay delivery. And also because is good to get of the house once in a while, and I usually go with my bicycle and so also get some exercise, maybe stop by the beach etc

The delivery is free. $55 a week is our total grocery bill for 2 people + 1 hungry cat who has never been fed.

By having my groceries delivered, I am free to go out and get exercise without having to walk zombified through an air conditioned food palace.

EDIT: forgive me: technically, I pay a £40 yearly subscription for free weekday delivery. So not entirely free.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mourning Due posted:

The delivery is free. $55 a week is our total grocery bill for 2 people + 1 hungry cat who has never been fed.

By having my groceries delivered, I am free to go out and get exercise without having to walk zombified through an air conditioned food palace.

Ah ok

Anyway, I work at home and I dont get out much

So going to supermarket is a reason to go out and also most times I go out for other reasons (like just exercise), I end up stopping by the supermarket too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 2, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I studied in NRW a decade+ ago and I remember having very very good times with that “free” NRW ticket. Heard that recently-ish you guys got that extended to all of Germany. That’s really cool.

Antigravitas posted:

Nowadays, timekeeping is mandatory as well.

Isn’t this a bad thing/annoying? Or is it pretty lax? At my new job we have to “clock in” hours on a website and the first time sheet I submitted my boss came over to my desk and told me I was loving it up for everyone. You see I was being somewhat honest by recording 9 hours 1 day, 6 hours the next day, 8.5 the day after, etc, all adding up to the 40 hours. She flat out told me everyone here records 8 hours a day and to stop making it difficult for everyone else lol.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I am sure there are companies out there where lying about your working hours is part of company culture, no law can change that, but in the end you are only defrauding yourself. Right now in many fields nobody can fill open positions so participating in that kind of scheme has no upside. What are they going to do, fire you? Bully you to quit? In this economy? Lol, and furthermore, lmao.

Anyway, it's primarily for you, the employee, so you have a written record of hours worked. I have a little RFID badge for clocking in and out, plus a web interface as a fallback.

The Deutschlandticket is incredible, it immediately transformed the nightmare HRE of local transit into a convenient and unified network. And the best thing is that while it is partly a liberal party idea, they can't claim it as their own because when it became clear that it increased the ability of poor people to travel they couldn't be in favour anymore. So it's a Green Party achievement now. (And a failure of course, since it didn't vastly decrease car traffic and merely substantially improved poor people's lives)

I'm not even being particularly hyperbolic, it's the most transit_sickos.png thing that has happened in a good while. The political manoeuvring after the 9€-Ticket showed how extremely popular the idea was with voters could possibly have been the funniest time in German politics for a while.

"Oh no, the state showed it can act quite quickly and decisively during a crisis and get people on board, oh gently caress oh gently caress" :discourse:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Isn’t this a bad thing/annoying? Or is it pretty lax? At my new job we have to “clock in” hours on a website and the first time sheet I submitted my boss came over to my desk and told me I was loving it up for everyone. You see I was being somewhat honest by recording 9 hours 1 day, 6 hours the next day, 8.5 the day after, etc, all adding up to the 40 hours. She flat out told me everyone here records 8 hours a day and to stop making it difficult for everyone else lol.

Time sheet reporting and clocking in are two different unrelated things.

Every week I need to make a time sheet report saying how much time I spent on each projects. I don't have to specify which day of the week I used for which project, just the sum: 16 hours for project A, 16 hours for project B, 5 hours on project C.
Every day I have to register exactly when I started and stopped working. If I worked more than I have to then this is added to my buffer, if I didn't work enough (or just don't work) then my buffer decreases.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

At a lot of jobs this is a tax credit thing (e.g. the employees spent x% of time on r&d projects) and if youre salaried but reporting above 40 hours a week then youre just loving up the calculation

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I understood it as not about lying but that they just want a consistent time reporting of 40 hours/week for all employees for their numbers. They don’t care if someone works 6 hours one day and 1 extra hour the next 2 days to make up for it and the teams are small enough that people would notice if you’re loving off not putting hours in.

If they super duper cared they could pull up logs of people badging in and out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Back when I worked as a consultant I had to track time in increments of 15 minutes and wanted to jump out the building as I was working on 3-4 different projects through the week. I think I personally stressed myself out more about it than I needed to but it was a small 100 person or so UX shop so they were trying to do accurate staffing. My notes app was just permanently open and I would type the times I started and stopped doing activities, then transcribe that in minutes when I did my sheet at the end of the week.

Now I have a dickhead salaried corporate job where I can’t be assed to even log my time off.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Dave posted:

Back when I worked as a consultant I had to track time in increments of 15 minutes and wanted to jump out the building as I was working on 3-4 different projects through the week. I think I personally stressed myself out more about it than I needed to but it was a small 100 person or so UX shop so they were trying to do accurate staffing. My notes app was just permanently open and I would type the times I started and stopped doing activities, then transcribe that in minutes when I did my sheet at the end of the week.

Now I have a dickhead salaried corporate job where I can’t be assed to even log my time off.

My first job was at a defense contractor where we billed in 30m increments but anything over 16m counted as a full half hour. So I'd show up at 8:14, work on one thing for a few hours, then around 1:00 I'd switch to a different project and work until 3:46 and my 8 hour day was over

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jose Valasquez posted:

My first job was at a defense contractor where we billed in 30m increments but anything over 16m counted as a full half hour. So I'd show up at 8:14, work on one thing for a few hours, then around 1:00 I'd switch to a different project and work until 3:46 and my 8 hour day was over

BRB just going to go start billing in one year increments.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Jose Valasquez posted:

That’s just an 8 hour day though? 7.5 hours work and 30 min lunch you didn’t take

I work corporate and our days are 7.5 hours, take lunch or breaks whenever if you work your time

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Time traveling a bit:

SerthVarnee posted:

Swipe your ICA card at the entrance, pick the handheld scanner that now displays a "welcome [your name]", enter store, scan barcodes located under the price tag where the products are on the shelves, put products in your bag as you go through the store, go to checkout, place scanner in rack, swipe card at the self checkout stations, press yes or no to the question "did everything successfully scan?", press optional coupon or sales offer button, press "pay", pay with ICA card or press "use other credit/debit card", enter pin code, get receipt, scan receipt barcode on exit swing doors (like the ones you see in airports), leave with all your poo poo already bagged.

[etc]

Lacking anything else to say about this, I thought this was kind of cool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's like Scandinavia is already in the future.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

withak posted:

It's like Scandinavia is already in the future.

They had these in some supermarkets I went to in Switzerland back in like 2010.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My local (Danish) supermarket has an app, so you can scan the goods with your phone and pay with your stored credit card. I am surprised more places don't implement something like that. There are no hardware costs.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Time traveling a bit:

Lacking anything else to say about this, I thought this was kind of cool.

Once I got shown how to do it, I pretty much never used the normal cashier manned checkout stations again. It saves so much time, helps me track my purchases as I go through the shopping list, gives me a precise indicator of how much money this is going to cost me so I can decide on whether or not to skip some pricey stuff this week, and if I do have an issue scanning a thing, the staff is super quick and helpful.

Everyone I've taught the system to, has gone from "ehhhh I don't really have the energy to wrap my head around it" to "holy poo poo this is the best thing ever, thanks a bunch for talking me through it."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Also available at Dutch supermarkets too.

In the US I think only Costco and Sam’s Club has the scan and pay on your phone thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

costco has that? my costco experience is always:

- show costco card to get in
- put items in cart
- scan costco card at self-checkout
- scan items on scanner
- pay with credit card

had no idea there were options beyond that.