Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Trillhouse posted:

I thought it made sense until I saw the emoji he used.

🌝 <- this guy doesn't mean "the stock is going to the moon" (this is the one cohen used)
🌙 <- this one could, depending on the context.

that's my thought on emoji law.

I wanna be there when universities start teaching the legal interpretation of different emojis to students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-is-the-direct-registration-system-or-drs-for-stocks-357536

This, apparently. Direct Registration System for registering ownership of stocks without involving a stockbroker. IIRC, an increasing number of stockbrokers no longer allow trades of BBBY, for obvious reasons. And maybe what you said, too.

It’s driving me crazy for some reason. Even though it’s not dumber than anything else these people do.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

bertolt rekt posted:

It’s driving me crazy for some reason. Even though it’s not dumber than anything else these people do.

From what I’ve gathered from reading Reddit, DRSing “protects” your shares from being arbitrarily taken away by a broker because that is a thing that happens I guess but as a side effect it makes it slower to sell them. This could be wrong, everyone seems to disagree abut why it is good. NFA not financial advice buy buy buy to the moon rocketemoji

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Pirate Captain posted:

From what I’ve gathered from reading Reddit, DRSing “protects” your shares from being arbitrarily taken away by a broker because that is a thing that happens I guess but as a side effect it makes it slower to sell them. This could be wrong, everyone seems to disagree abut why it is good. NFA not financial advice buy buy buy to the moon rocketemoji

It’s “good” because it’s how you buy unlisted garbage too poo poo for even the people who deal in pink sheets.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I wasn't following the weird BBBY cult thing, but youtube helpfully suggested this video to me. It follows the most prominent Cohen-whisperer, who is clearly unwell and pathologically obsessed with Cohen as a person, but people trust his analysis for some reason (I suspect they are also unwell). It really is QAnon, but with stock trading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrU0DAAylEk

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
That guy is going to track down ryan cohen and eat him so they can become one.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So during yesterday's BBBY bankruptcy proceedings the judge had the some misleading language removed that made it sound like sounds like stockholders would receive *something*, the yellow part highlighted below. He wanted to clarify that under the current plan stockholders get el zilcho, nothing, nada.

Big brain genius knows what this really means...

quote:

This now has a complete different meaning! As before, each Allowed Interest will still be extinguished. HOWEVER, not in full and final satisfaction of them anymore.

So the Interests will still be extinguished, but in part and not final satisfaction of them, meaning that there is room for something to happen additionally. The holders of Allowed Interest in BBB are still entitled to something else. At the end, the Allowed Interests will be extinguished, no question about that, but there is something else possible now.

That is why the K&E lawyer did not lie when he said that all interests were still being extinguished and discharged. True! But not anymore in full and final satisfaction of them!​

Now let's enter the speculative part of the post.

What can be this additional thing that can happen? Well, new equity, for example. The old equity will still extinguish, but additionally to that the holders of such can receive new equity.

The company is talking to us! The dialogue between the Judge and the lawyer yesterday is flashing on our faces! They are bringing attention to this exact wording. It is not simply to "clarify", but to make us aware of this change.

Had the company written this from the start as it is now, there would have been no way for them to bring this to our attention. However, by having done so, with first an initial version of the Plan with "full and final satisfaction of" and the current version without it, they are bringing this to our attention in a very smart and completely legal way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maybe I misunderstood something ebcause none of it makes any sense, but I thought the DRS obsession was brought about by some belief that if they DRS'd every single available unit of stock, short sellers would be unable to short The Stock.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe I misunderstood something ebcause none of it makes any sense, but I thought the DRS obsession was brought about by some belief that if they DRS'd every single available unit of stock, short sellers would be unable to short The Stock.

Those ideas are connected to each other. Superstonk cultists believe that brokers are secretly lending shares owned by retail traders back to hedge funds for short selling, so therefore in order to stop the short selling, they simply need to DRS enough shares so that hedge funds run out of shares they can secretly borrow to short with. Also, over time what effects are ascribed to DRSing shares has risen, and DRS has assumed various magical properties in their minds.

Edit: also, they don't think they need to DRS every share, just enough to "lock down the float" in their words. I'm not entirely sure how that number is calculated, but they think that "locking down the float" will be the event that immediately precedes the million-fold increase in the share price.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So during yesterday's BBBY bankruptcy proceedings the judge had the some misleading language removed that made it sound like sounds like stockholders would receive *something*, the yellow part highlighted below. He wanted to clarify that under the current plan stockholders get el zilcho, nothing, nada.

Big brain genius knows what this really means...
Lmao.

"The company is talking to us!"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My favorite part of it all is assuming their actions had the exact effect they wanted and they did lock down the float and short sellers were obligated to buy X number of shares to cover their position, they would be buying from the lowest bidders which would inevitably be people who just wanted to recoup their initial position and would be willing to sell at or near the price they bought in at to make sure they didn't get left holding the bag.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I need Bitcoin to do something interesting because reading the ravings of mad men in these stock cults is getting stale.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Boxturret posted:

"This is not financial advice" is basically a spell they think can save them from any consequences.

This is not in Minecraft

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

super sweet best pal posted:

This is not in Minecraft
Bullshit. Literally everything is constantly Minecraft.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CrypticFox posted:

Those ideas are connected to each other. Superstonk cultists believe that brokers are secretly lending shares owned by retail traders back to hedge funds for short selling, so therefore in order to stop the short selling, they simply need to DRS enough shares so that hedge funds run out of shares they can secretly borrow to short with. Also, over time what effects are ascribed to DRSing shares has risen, and DRS has assumed various magical properties in their minds.

Edit: also, they don't think they need to DRS every share, just enough to "lock down the float" in their words. I'm not entirely sure how that number is calculated, but they think that "locking down the float" will be the event that immediately precedes the million-fold increase in the share price.

A lot of it really comes down to how various aspects of capitalism that they don't actually understand have been assigned mystical properties instead, which all invariably lead to the secret truth of the world that will grant them salvation. And as I've put it, they aren't particularly discouraged when the prophecy fails because coming up with new mystical narratives is literally their primary group activity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

My favorite part of it all is assuming their actions had the exact effect they wanted and they did lock down the float and short sellers were obligated to buy X number of shares to cover their position, they would be buying from the lowest bidders which would inevitably be people who just wanted to recoup their initial position and would be willing to sell at or near the price they bought in at to make sure they didn't get left holding the bag.

That's why you get all the apes together in a reddit community and pledge not to sell until the bid price hits 420.69

Apes together strong

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Thesaurus posted:

Lmao.

"The company is talking to us!"

Corporations are people, my friend.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

SettingSun posted:

I need Bitcoin to do something interesting because reading the ravings of mad men in these stock cults is getting stale.

they're the same people

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Apparently Crypto scams unsurprisingly keep getting more complicated. If you don't check address correctly you could lose 20 mil = what? apparently so.

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1686764372616515585

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

if there were some central authority with the ability to reverse these fraudulent transfers.......

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Woah woah woah, the authority to reverse transactions? What about all those chargebacks that I merchants get?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ah the very simple scam of exploiting people's tendency of not looking too closely at dense, garbled text.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

crypto would probably work a lot better if we were all computers instead of people

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its not anonymous enough to protect you, but it's also too anonymous to protect you. It's the worst of all worlds.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

I wasn't following the weird BBBY cult thing, but youtube helpfully suggested this video to me. It follows the most prominent Cohen-whisperer, who is clearly unwell and pathologically obsessed with Cohen as a person, but people trust his analysis for some reason (I suspect they are also unwell). It really is QAnon, but with stock trading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrU0DAAylEk

The funniest part of the video is when he calls his broker and pays a $30 commission for the privilege of buying $500 of BBBY at like 38 cents

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zokari posted:

if there were some central authority with the ability to reverse these fraudulent transfers.......

Funny you should mention that, in the part that was cut off they did have to appeal to a central authority because the scam worked.

quote:

The scammers are so good now they generate addresses with the same starting and ending letters, which is what most people check for when doing a crypto transfer. In fact, many wallets hide the middle part of the address with "..." to make the UI look better.

The scammer then use this address to send you dust transactions so that the address is shown in your wallet. Now, if you want to send to the legitimate address, you might just pick one previous transactions in your wallet and copy the address. You might just copy the wrong one. This is what happened yesterday, to a very experienced crypto operator.

Positive ending for this one. The operator noticed the error right after the transaction, and we were able to request the USDT to be frozen in time. It will now take some process, including filing a police report, to reclaim the funds back. But at least, the funds won't leave with the scammers.

Fast reaction is key in these types of recovery.

Hope this will help you avoid these one day. Stay #SAFU! 🙏

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stay #SAFU 🙏 I solemnly intone as I conduct a transaction in what is absolutely a system better than traditional banking.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Have fun being poor, I say to all bitcoin and NFT dweebs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the crypto space has next to no protections but it's still impressive that so few people there seem to practice personal security of their own in light of this wild west. You're conducting (what you say is) a 20m transaction and you're taking the details on faith and winging it.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Apparently Crypto scams unsurprisingly keep getting more complicated. If you don't check address correctly you could lose 20 mil = what? apparently so.

How is CZ not in jail and Binance an FTX sized punchline by now? I was assured it was all coming crumbling down several times since the start of the year.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SettingSun posted:

Yeah the crypto space has next to no protections but it's still impressive that so few people there seem to practice personal security of their own in light of this wild west. You're conducting (what you say is) a 20m transaction and you're taking the details on faith and winging it.

Vibes investment strategy

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

This is not "complicated" or sophisticated in the slightest.

It's just the equivalent of texting someone pretending to be one of their close acquaintance in the hope the mark will be lazy and reply to that message the next time they want to communicate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Armitage_Shanks posted:

How is CZ not in jail and Binance an FTX sized punchline by now? I was assured it was all coming crumbling down several times since the start of the year.

CZ has been studiously avoiding anywhere that the US could grab him. Pretty much everyone read the complaints against Binance and said "boy, it looks like these go with a sealed CZ indictment"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

evilweasel posted:

CZ has been studiously avoiding anywhere that the US could grab him. Pretty much everyone read the complaints against Binance and said "boy, it looks like these go with a sealed CZ indictment"
I don't think anyone's been able to conclusively point to where CZ actually is, basically. And Binance's basically pulled up stakes in places where things got too hot, like France I believe? CZ's on record as saying that a "head office" is more of a vibe than an actual location which totally coincidentally makes it incredibly hard to establish jurisdiction.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aramis posted:

This is not "complicated" or sophisticated in the slightest.

It's just the equivalent of texting someone pretending to be one of their close acquaintance in the hope the mark will be lazy and reply to that message the next time they want to communicate.

Making an address look like another is technically a bit complicated, but in practice it just amounts to running a program that looks for similar addresses for a few hours

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ymgve posted:

Making an address look like another is technically a bit complicated, but in practice it just amounts to running a program that looks for similar addresses for a few hours

Seconds. One of the folks I knew made vanity addresses continually, it was a trivial script.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kw0134 posted:

I don't think anyone's been able to conclusively point to where CZ actually is, basically. And Binance's basically pulled up stakes in places where things got too hot, like France I believe? CZ's on record as saying that a "head office" is more of a vibe than an actual location which totally coincidentally makes it incredibly hard to establish jurisdiction.

widely believed to be Dubai, which won't extradite rich people for money crimes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a federal judge overseeing the sec fraud case against the terra luna folks denied a motion to dismiss

this is notable because the judge split with the recent bizarre ripple decision which found that selling crypto to institutional investors is a security offering, but selling it to retail investors is somehow not a securities offering and is thus exempt from regulatory protections.

quote:

According to that court, this was because the re-sale purchasers could not have known if their payments went to the defendant, as opposed to the third-party entity who sold them the coin. Whatever expectation of profit they had could not, according to that court, be ascribed to defendants’ efforts. But Howey makes no such distinction between purchasers. And it makes good sense that it did not. That a purchaser bought the coins directly from the defendants or, instead, in a secondary resale transaction has no impact on whether a reasonable individual would objectively view the defendants’ actions and statements as evincing a promise of profits based on their efforts.

it's still early in the trial, but i'm glad to see some pushback against the ripple decision nonsense

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
The Bitcoin rapper and her husband have both pled guilty to money laundering charges.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66390639

In a twist on the traditional mycrimes.txt, it seems like they created mycrimes.xls instead. “Police successfully decrypted a spreadsheet meticulously detailing the couple's intricate methods for laundering the stash, allowing them to recover nearly the full amount.”

Sad to see the good name of rap tarnished by criminal activity like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is good for hip hop