Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

It's not but you gotta squeeze a dime out of everything nowadays so they're trying to make Even More Boring Tennis a thing.

it is but I have basically only seen boomers doing it. seems bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think I've found in puckdoku that you can put Jagr in pretty much any square and it's probably correct. Goalie for the 1976 Swedish Olympic team? Jagr.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Simplex posted:

I think I've found in puckdoku that you can put Jagr in pretty much any square and it's probably correct. Goalie for the 1976 Swedish Olympic team? Jagr.

Jagr, Dominic Moore, Lee Stempniak, and Mike Sillinger are my "I don't know, let's try this" guys.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ThinkTank posted:

It is mad popular in the retiree part of the world I live in. They can't build courts fast enough to keep up with demand.

the boomers love it too because you can turn a basketball court used by more urban individuals into several pickleball courts for them

the sound of play is also dreadful for those who live near parks, it's great

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1684923926219272192?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1686441787009748997?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Wild how the arbitrator just split the difference plus a token 75k. Do these arbitrators actually do anything?

Also why doesn’t every player just ask for league max and dare the team to follow through on arbitration?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 1, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's tennis but your old rear end only has to move like one or two steps.
Perfect for keeping mee maw active with the pals.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ThinkTank posted:

How did a sport named pickleball get popular?

Because it's a sport for unathletic people

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Given it was invented by a GOP congressman, I wouldn't be surprised if marching orders were given to promote the sport top down

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Because it's a sport for unathletic people

My aunt is a huge pickleball person (president of the Penticton pickleball club woohoo!) and it's funny listening to her commentary on this because apparently the "sport" used to be super chill and was mostly elderly people and stoners but then at some point it got in the spotlight and what's happened is that a ton of ex professional athletes who are in their late 20's through to their 40's got involved (including a ton of tennis players) and they ruined the sport by being too competitive lol. They used to have a barebones rulebook and the games were self refereed on the honor system but now there's constantly new rules being added as people try to figure out new ways to get an advantage and they have to train and supply referees for these tournaments which is a pain in the rear end.

So basically there's constantly more and more young people getting involved and it the fastest growing sport in North America by membership (meaning if you wanna go out and try it there will likely be other younger people out there who are also beginners which is nice), but the young people are actively ruining the spirit of the game. She's a pickleball traditionalist.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Wait, wasn't padel this huge thing a couple of years ago, and now this pickleball? How many hit ball with racket things are there going to be?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Anyone under 50 playing pickleball should be stuffed in a locker

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pickleball is just a dollar store imitation of the real old-person version of tennis: platform tennis. Which rules, and is also surprisingly dangerous

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

Because the moneyed geriatrics that control everything are into it and someone sensed a profit opportunity.

Edit: the basketball court ruining is just a bonus as pointed out. Double bonus if they nuke a roller hockey rink used by utes and degenerates.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 1, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Swayman for under $3.5 is a steal.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1684923926219272192?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1686441787009748997?s=46&t=UiTVuiDvpkwYqlzJnMDbJA

Wild how the arbitrator just split the difference plus a token 75k. Do these arbitrators actually do anything?

Also why doesn’t every player just ask for league max and dare the team to follow through on arbitration?

Because if the ask is clearly so wildly out of line with what the 'market comparables' are the arbitrator can just ignore/throw it out and then side with the team or much much closer to that amount. So you have to ask for as close the moon with a certain amount of vague reasonableness.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

ThinkTank posted:

its relatively easy for old people to play and the country has a lot of old people

also RE: showing it on espn. they put golf on TV all the time :shrug:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Swayman for under $3.5 is a steal.

Two seasons on a real good team isn't exactly the best sample, but yeah, that's a great price tag for what he brings. Shoulda asked for more!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

My grandpa was a big hockey guy (actually got to see his leafs lift a cup in his life), broke his hip playing pickleball. He told me "If anyone tells you pickleball is a good easy exercise for seniors, I want you to look them in the eyes and tell them to go to hell."

Pickleball was the first super spreader event in our city, a 55+ centre had a tournament where there was no safety requirements and no masking.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tear that court down, put a roller hockey rink in its place, and air that instead

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
everyone I know who plays pickling ball is someone I do not want to spend time with

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Whose bright idea was it to invent pickleball anyway? Pickles can't even bounce that hard wow great job genius you got brine all over the tennis court. Idiot

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pickleball was the first super spreader event in our city, a 55+ centre had a tournament where there was no safety requirements and no masking.

this is reminding me of the time during the depths of the first covid year that ESPN was showing cornhole tournaments where basically no one was taking masking remotely seriously lol

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mennoknight posted:

everyone I know who plays pickling ball is someone I do not want to spend time with

We already have pickling ball that’s called golf

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/senscentral/status/1686470501156225024?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Not one “journalist” asked what zub is gaming??

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1686549930310320130

Just Bouchard left. Probably gets 1-2years x4million

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Jagr, Dominic Moore, Lee Stempniak, and Mike Sillinger are my "I don't know, let's try this" guys.

Phil Housley, Jaroslav Halak and Alex Auld are also very good multitools.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
DOC signed. Now trade for EK65 or get rid of Granlund. (Why not both)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Has EK said if he's willing to waive for Pittsburgh? If I were him I'd still be pissed about Cooke slicing my Achilles 10 years ago.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Has EK said if he's willing to waive for Pittsburgh? If I were him I'd still be pissed about Cooke slicing my Achilles 10 years ago.

Crosby and Niskanen managed to make nice while they were on the same team so I'm sure it's something athletes can compartmentalize

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm sure all Karlsson cares about is getting off the Sharks and (hopefully) playing for a reasonable contender loaded with future hall of famers.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Starsfan posted:

My aunt is a huge pickleball person (president of the Penticton pickleball club woohoo!) and it's funny listening to her commentary on this because apparently the "sport" used to be super chill and was mostly elderly people and stoners but then at some point it got in the spotlight and what's happened is that a ton of ex professional athletes who are in their late 20's through to their 40's got involved (including a ton of tennis players) and they ruined the sport by being too competitive lol. They used to have a barebones rulebook and the games were self refereed on the honor system but now there's constantly new rules being added as people try to figure out new ways to get an advantage and they have to train and supply referees for these tournaments which is a pain in the rear end.

So basically there's constantly more and more young people getting involved and it the fastest growing sport in North America by membership (meaning if you wanna go out and try it there will likely be other younger people out there who are also beginners which is nice), but the young people are actively ruining the spirit of the game. She's a pickleball traditionalist.

No way I live in Kelowna and one of my first customers here was a pickleball coach. Lots of youngsters on the courts near me and by youngster I mean 45-65 years of age

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I don’t think the Pens qualify as a reasonable contender even with Karlsson.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

corn on the cop posted:

I don’t think the Pens qualify as a reasonable contender even with Karlsson.

They'd be a contender to possibly reach the second round.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I can absolutely see the Pens rebounding to an ECF appearance. The east is looking weaker and they've still got the top end talent. It just comes down to figuring out the right mix of talent. Vegas went from out of the playoffs to cup this year, Pens could easily do the same.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Terry got a 7 year extension with the Ducks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

7x$7m lol what

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
That’s why you ask high in arbitration

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Why the gently caress is Terry signing for 7 years

Reenter the market in 2 years you fool

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Thank gently caress :duckie:

I can finally unlench my butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why the gently caress is Terry signing for 7 years

Reenter the market in 2 years you fool

He's kinda not very good and wingers have no value. He got a great deal.