Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

The Curse of Sally Forth

Skippy with another example of ":words: are acceptable if they're good :words:." (August 16, 1935)

Peanuts (August 4, 1976)

Crankshaft

(sigh) Okay...

I currently follow exactly one comic book YouTuber, and it's Sasha from Casually Comics. She's not only a lot of fun but zeroes in on the type of older stories that lit me up when I was young and foolish (and probably would've done the same to Jeff, too, if we were reading about content instead of collectibles). Which is my way of telling TomBat to dial back this "wimmin, amirite?" crap just a smidgen.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 6, 1940)

It was an odd morning, so OOW will show up later. Don't panic just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Being mistaken for Spider-man is a common joke in Deadpool comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

goatface posted:

Being mistaken for Spider-man is a common joke in Deadpool comics.

How is Batiuk so loving bad at this?
How do you know who Deadpool is and still write this loving strip?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

His Divine Shadow posted:

From the comic I got it was a recent but short lived change in behavior myself
Plus, there's the complicating factor that he was only half being a jerk, since it was revealed he wasn't calling her Betty out of malice but because Faye had a twin sister named Betty that disappeared when they were all young enough that Faye doesn't really remember her and Ten sorta mixed Faye and Betty together in his head and was trying to figure out what the gently caress was up with that. That's only half a mitigating factor, though, because he still kept pushing it even when it was upsetting her, and iirc he was a jerk about other things like her art.

I think it would be really funny if only one of the hippie witch kids (Sweetpea and Pod?) were actually psychic and the other had just been faking it the entire time to not be left out.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

(sigh) Okay...

I currently follow exactly one comic book YouTuber, and it's Sasha from Casually Comics. She's not only a lot of fun but zeroes in on the type of older stories that lit me up when I was young and foolish (and probably would've done the same to Jeff, too, if we were reading about content instead of collectibles). Which is my way of telling TomBat to dial back this "wimmin, amirite?" crap just a smidgen.

Remember when Batiuk introduced a lady comics writer? No? Sorry, let's talk about his Kirby and Ditko stand-ins again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

movie deadpool visited the cancerverse for obvious reasons

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

Remember when Batiuk introduced a lady comics writer? No? Sorry, let's talk about his Kirby and Ditko stand-ins again.
[wisely] Women have been integral in comics and pop culture media. Anyway women don't know a god drat thing about comics and pop culture media.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Vargo posted:

Do they not... make V8 engines anymore? Can't the Plugger just buy one of the many used cars that exist? Why can't he have a car?

I know this is just a simple "two different things with the same name" joke but I hate Pluggers and this one makes no sense and I have to assume it's boomer bullshit.

V8's slogan was "Wow, I Could've Had a V8" in plugger times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld8eAH0MW00

(also I guess they brought it back in a different way in the '00s? I don't remember that)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hostile V posted:

[wisely] Women have been integral in comics and pop culture media. Anyway women don't know a god drat thing about comics and pop culture media.

Thinking of that series of strips with the female comic author who gradually shrinks into the background as men take the focus still cracks me up in a disgusted way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Not just the dull lovely old men artists but the return of an established dead character who faked his own death to spend 30 years hiding and preparing a D-lister Hulk ripoff as his magnum opus.

I'm not gonna suggest anyone post Funky from day 1, that'd be absurd self abuse, but laughing(at the author) over a few greatest hits strips or storylines might be a good idea. I don't think I've ever seen Lisa's Story as it happened.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

davidspackage posted:

Thinking of that series of strips with the female comic author who gradually shrinks into the background as men take the focus still cracks me up in a disgusted way.

And it was also part of an arc where she was getting recognized for her contribution to comics!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

I'm not gonna suggest anyone post Funky from day 1, that'd be absurd self abuse, but laughing(at the author) over a few greatest hits strips or storylines might be a good idea. I don't think I've ever seen Lisa's Story as it happened.

If you really started Funky from Day 1, you'd have a couple decades of perfectly ordinary gag-a-day strips before any of the latter-day Batiuk weirdness sets in.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Noor

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves
As advertised, we'll do a time skip. This is the first time we see cars and those seem pretty modern for a 1953 comic, so we're probably past the second world war. I'm still unsure if the original strips were happening between the wars or earlier.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

The next strip is missing and it's actually the end of the story, whoops!

And then there's a big time skip, so let's start with that tomorrow.

Into Ilves is always a weird trip, thanks for posting it. :buddy:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/1-3/51

Archie 10/26/47

I always thought taffy pulls were more of a 19th century thing but apparently they were still having them in the 1940s.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So I get that Jughead cares no poo poo about girls and Reggie is like the only other dude around, is that why the girls want Archie?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Harmaa norjanhirvikoira = Norwegian Elkhound, literally "grey Norwegian elk dog" (harmaa norjan-hirvi-koira)
Orja = slave
Harmaan orjan hirvikoira = grey slave's elkhound
I wasn't sure whether to post this or not; I decided to do so anyway since the slave bit is part of the wordplay and not relevant otherwise. Tell me if this judgement was in error.

Norwegian Elkhounds are super cute!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Harmaa norjanhirvikoira = Norwegian Elkhound, literally "grey Norwegian elk dog" (harmaa norjan-hirvi-koira)
Orja = slave
Harmaan orjan hirvikoira = grey slave's elkhound
I wasn't sure whether to post this or not; I decided to do so anyway since the slave bit is part of the wordplay and not relevant otherwise. Tell me if this judgement was in error.

Yeah, they are :luca:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I get that Jughead cares no poo poo about girls and Reggie is like the only other dude around, is that why the girls want Archie?

Because one can’t have him and the other only wants him because the other does.

Dames. Phooey!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

NEVER DOUBT THAT BERNICE IS THE WORST AND DESERVES NO DEFENSE

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Do I Believe That Gardening Competitions Can Be Interesting/Serious Business? Yes. It's Not On Par With Football. Holbrook Show Me The CTE Coverup Scandal In Gardening Challenge. Rudy Drives Off A Cliff With His Head In A Manure Bucket To Save His Brain For Research And Nobody Takes His Funeral Seriously.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Today was a bit on the rough side, but you still get Out Our Way (June 15-17, 1942)

Also, just a note that anyone who wants to revisit Funky Winkerbean storylines of years past could do worse than check in with Son of Stuck Funky, which has been doing exactly that on and off since the beginning of the year while trying to figure out whether Crankshaft counts.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 3, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hempuli posted:

I had one as a kid. She was a good girl.

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Les Claypool is at the door?

Apartment 3-G

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Julet Esqu posted:

[
Gil Thorp

Would it be against league rules to have the inmates wear their ID number on their jersey?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Les Claypool is at the door?
"Tell him to come back later, I'm busy with Wynona and Tommy."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Nekonaughey

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 30, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill is just Pibgorn now, huh?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Bonus: The Girls aren't the only ones who be shoppin'.

Incidentally it turns out every The Girls I've ever posted is a rerun(even at the time, I mean), because the strip ended in 1977 and I didn't start posting anything from these paper scans until 78.

A lot of it is unfortunately evergreen though. (which is probably why it reruns so well)

(more may come, if I remember to and can figure out how to make the pics turn out okay)

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 4/24/1997–05/01/1997

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Stuart's just mad that Marla thought of giving employees cash incentives before he did.

I want Stuart and everyone like him to die screaming

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (March 6, 1940)

I completely misread this at first. I thought popeye hit the big man so hard that when he landed he was an old shrunken man.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Geez, even Corey's shadow is middle-aged.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cookie cutters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm not dumb enough to read the dialogue in Legend of Bill but lol at dude just cranking these out one handed now.

Oh no this really is just a Buck is the center of the universe arc isn't it. I hope Mud apologizes for his fake poo and deflates Buck and then we go to the next Mud centered story.