Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I can see being able to wring it's neck at legal speeds as appealing.

Pretty much the entire point of the bike imo. I find fortnine so obnoxious though. The engine is absolutely not capable of 92hp, at least not if you don’t want to rebuild it every 300 miles. That’s WSBK levels of specific output. 70hp is more realistic, and honestly even 50 is fine for an ordinary street rider, if not annoying in the back of your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

~65whp with bolt-ons was realistic for the original zxr400, so I should hope a bike benefiting from 30 years of cylinder head refinement can exceed that. The RPM it can do would support this assumption. 90 is smoking crack tho

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Phy posted:

I hope lots of people buy zx4s so that there's both a thriving used market and its still for sale new in a couple years

:same:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Russian Bear posted:

Did you post pics?

I posted a pic, yes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1348#post531980308

Only thing I’d revise from my initial post is that a few hundred miles later I find myself using the quick shifter a lot actually. I concur with the Fortnine sentiment that it really is fine as is - I initially thought I would want to flash the ECU right away but now I don’t really care. Still might do it in the future but for regular street riding it doesn’t need it. I’m not taking it to the track to be competitive, and going faster is not important - it’s fun revving it to redline and staying at reasonable speeds on the street.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Pinny posted:

Picked it up this morning, finally!

Its raining a little though so only rode back home so far. Its supposed to clear up this afternoon so can hopefully go scrub the tires in some.

That’s a fine looking bike. I had to zoom in to cop that it’s a BMW

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Pinny posted:

Picked it up this morning, finally!

Its raining a little though so only rode back home so far. Its supposed to clear up this afternoon so can hopefully go scrub the tires in some.

That's a sexy bike you got there my friend.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Its total overkill for my 2-3mile commute, but it will make the 40mile long way home much more fun!

Its so easy to ride at low speeds its not even funny. I was a little bit worried with it being bigger overall than my XSR that it would feel more clumsy, but once its rolling I barely notice the extra size/weight.

Its rev limited to something around 9k rpm until first service too, ~300 more miles to go and it'll get unlocked.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Pinny posted:

Its total overkill for my 2-3mile commute, but it will make the 40mile long way home much more fun!

Its so easy to ride at low speeds its not even funny. I was a little bit worried with it being bigger overall than my XSR that it would feel more clumsy, but once its rolling I barely notice the extra size/weight.

Its rev limited to something around 9k rpm until first service too, ~300 more miles to go and it'll get unlocked.

What XSR was that? XSRs were and are some of the bikes I’m still contemplating as an addition to the Trident (or replacement if the failed gear shifter at 50 miles is a harbinger rather than freak occurrence)

I test rode a S1000RR about… 8 years back, to see if it was a worthwhile complementary bike to my GSA - even that bike was very easy to ride, so I’m sure a road-ier variant will be perfectly fine!

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

morothar posted:

What XSR was that? XSRs were and are some of the bikes I’m still contemplating as an addition to the Trident (or replacement if the failed gear shifter at 50 miles is a harbinger rather than freak occurrence)

I test rode a S1000RR about… 8 years back, to see if it was a worthwhile complementary bike to my GSA - even that bike was very easy to ride, so I’m sure a road-ier variant will be perfectly fine!

'16 XSR700, which (although older) is probably a comparable bike to the Triumph Trident, I haven't ridden a Trident though, but they're both going for that 'Modern Retro' style.

Some of the BMW connected app stuff is pretty funky, and almost completely useless and overkill for day to day riding :D

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hey I know that route, even though I've never been there and live an ocean away.

Is the 40 mile long way home for you up over the mountain? :swoon:

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Pretty much the entire course is my long way home.

I take a back road from work to Ballacraine though which makes the route a little longer, the main road that the course takes to there is pretty boring honestly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinny posted:

Ballacraine

You can't fool me, this is a cream you put on your testicles

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a new bike and getting rid of my CBR250.

I'm considering three candidates (listed by out the door prices quoted by dealers, less tax and registration)

2022 Vitpilen 401 $5150
2017 CBR 500 $5300
2014 Street Triple $6000
(This also just popped up near me but I haven't investigated it at all)

I've spent a couple days with each of these bike models in the past couple years and liked all of them in varying capacities. I think I'd be happy with any of them for a year or two. I'm looking to do more highway riding, but still expect to mostly to venture from the city to the suburbs (30-45 minute rides at a stretch). I'm planning to go check these specific bikes out in person this week.

What seems like the best bargain? Any red flags to look out for specific to these bikes?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My opinions on 390's are well known at this point but it would be an improvement on the chassis front at least

Imo a cbr500 isn't enough of an upgrade to bother with over a 250, they're a good bike but aside from the bigger engine they still have entry level cycle parts as your 250

Street triple is a big step up in every way, but 2014 was a long time ago and triumphs run on dog years, so it's rare to find one that old that doesn't have issues

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Vit is a pretty sporty riding position just as a heads up also, which is fun for romping on it, but maybe not if you’re commuting home after a long rear end day.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Get CBR, see if you like it, sell it next spring if you don't.

I like the CBR500 though if it's anything like the older CBFs, it's not gonna be very exciting.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Get a proper sports bike if you want one, not this tarted up ptwin bullshit. There must be loads of CBR600s around in the US.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Do think about whether you can actually use the CBR600's power in your area. I love my FZR600, but i can barely crank open the throttle anywhere out of fear of losing my license. In my case, there's barely any fun to be had when adhering to the speed limit on that thing.
It's absolutely pointless and not nice to ride in the city. I way prefer my SV for utility rides. Do try out an SV. Don't expect great handling but they're overall good bikes that are easy to live with, and completely happy to putter around in cities.

Perhaps hold onto your current bike another year, and then see if a 2nd hand Kawasaki ZX-4rr is affordable for you?

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 1, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I commuted vast distances on a mutant fzr400 and carb'd '99 r1 when it wasn't being a total piece of poo poo.
America is pretty vast once you get outta the urban cores with a whole lotta fuckin nothin'

Both bikes would sometimes haul 100-150lb of tools in a backpack or strapped to the tail/pillion seat.
I kind-of-want to do an earlier r1 set up for touring/shithauling/trailer towing but the old dakar buster just kinda ticks all the boxes while also falling under the radar.

Look up Sjaak Lucassen

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Get a proper sports bike if you want one, not this tarted up ptwin bullshit. There must be loads of CBR600s around in the US.

LimaBiker posted:

Do think about whether you can actually use the CBR600's power in your area.

I am kinda worried about wasted potential. It takes me 20 minutes from where I am just to get to a highway via surface streets, and about 30-45 minutes to get to actual open roads that aren't clogged with commuters. I don't have a car, so I will be doing grocery runs on this bike too. As much as I hate it, I am going to spend lots of time in the city on this bike. I do realize this is a strike against the striple.

I'm not as familiar with Kawi's lineup. Is the Ninja 650 more on par with a CBR500 or the CBR650? I've seen a few of these Ninjas, but have no experience with them.

If I could find a decent SV650 near me, I'd check it out. I test rode a used Trident, which I really liked, but I think is still way overpriced (esp next to a striple). Should've mentioned I'm trying to stay below $6k, all told.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ninja 650 is analogous to cbr650, there are pros and cons to both

Ninja 400 is analogous to cbr500 (but honestly better in every way)

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

T Zero posted:

I am kinda worried about wasted potential. It takes me 20 minutes from where I am just to get to a highway via surface streets, and about 30-45 minutes to get to actual open roads that aren't clogged with commuters. I don't have a car, so I will be doing grocery runs on this bike too. As much as I hate it, I am going to spend lots of time in the city on this bike. I do realize this is a strike against the striple.

I'm not as familiar with Kawi's lineup. Is the Ninja 650 more on par with a CBR500 or the CBR650? I've seen a few of these Ninjas, but have no experience with them.

If I could find a decent SV650 near me, I'd check it out. I test rode a used Trident, which I really liked, but I think is still way overpriced (esp next to a striple). Should've mentioned I'm trying to stay below $6k, all told.

I just got rid of a Versys 650, which is the same engine and chassis as the Ninja, but converted into a dentist bike. It's about the same amount of sporty as the Ninja, but you can sit upright and get the LT model with hardcase panniers that are quite good at groceries. It's an excellent compromise between a sport bike and useful utility. I only got rid of it because it looks like a jet ski and that doesn't do it for me. But I kept it for like 4 years despite hating how it looked; it's a good bike.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fender posted:

. I only got rid of it because it looks like a jet ski and that doesn't do it for me.

:confused:

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Get a bike with torquey engine and you won't want to hang around in the higher revs anyway. :cool:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And then start in 2nd for that real 4-speed experience

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Get a moto guzzi. Got it. Thanks everyone!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Semi related, I love the anti stall feature on my vfr. You can just let go of the clutch and with no throttle input at all it will creep along at around 10mph /17kmh. Same for 2nd gear, at around 20mph.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My 2022 KX250 has something similar called launch control. I think it only raises the idle throttle to prevent stalling though.
It's not automatic and on all the time, either. There's a button on the bars to turn it on and it turns off when you upshift from 2nd.
The 2021 KLX300R does it automatically (not as well) and there's no way to disable it

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 2, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Supradog posted:

Semi related, I love the anti stall feature on my vfr. You can just let go of the clutch and with no throttle input at all it will creep along at around 10mph /17kmh. Same for 2nd gear, at around 20mph.

My third gen sv650 has that too. Not necessary, but nice. Crawling along at slow speed is like easy mode, no throttle needed. I've managed to stall it at a red light but it takes some really bad clutch work to make it happen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pffff, my 2002 Honda has that, by way of having a 1.8L 6-cylinder

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was going to say, every Harley has that with no additional technology required

Fwiw I find that feature really unpredictable at low speeds, props on them putting it on a switch

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Someone talk me out of buying an 07 Interceptor with 30k miles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's equivalent to Honda nt1100, but is sold in the US? Upright tourer with hard luggage, no more than 600lbs, traction control, abs, cruise control.

I'm thinking used bmw 1200/1250rt might be a good match? I test rode a few models years ago, but honestly forgot the details. It looks great, but I'm weary of maintenance costs. The used 1200 pre-vtec model might be a good buy.

Also HD Pan america with active suspension. Other than the awful noise it makes, I'm pretty impressed by it. Nimble, powerful, comfortable. Probably not as good 2up, but it's a rare problem to have. They are not holding value like the rest of HD products, buying used is a good proposition

Kawasaki versus 1000 felt like a bear in comparison to the above. The inline 4 seems very unnecessary, and while the power is nice, the ergonomics didn't vibe.

What else is out there?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Moto Guzzi V100 :wiggle:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Nitrox posted:

What's equivalent to Honda nt1100, but is sold in the US? Upright tourer with hard luggage, no more than 600lbs, traction control, abs, cruise control.

I'm thinking used bmw 1200/1250rt might be a good match? I test rode a few models years ago, but honestly forgot the details. It looks great, but I'm weary of maintenance costs. The used 1200 pre-vtec model might be a good buy.

Also HD Pan america with active suspension. Other than the awful noise it makes, I'm pretty impressed by it. Nimble, powerful, comfortable. Probably not as good 2up, but it's a rare problem to have. They are not holding value like the rest of HD products, buying used is a good proposition

Kawasaki versus 1000 felt like a bear in comparison to the above. The inline 4 seems very unnecessary, and while the power is nice, the ergonomics didn't vibe.

What else is out there?

Tracer 9, Tiger 850

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

What else is out there?

that 600lb weight limit has you flirting with big sport tourers like the FJR and Concours 14, they're ~40lbs over the line with fluids and a full tank

regarding the two up comment, if you're buying anything other than a big touring bike (K16, GoldWing, HD Ultra, etc. - I'll throw the RT in here but it's an exception) or a cruiser, don't even bother factoring passenger comfort or handling with a pillion into the picture. your pillion won't be comfortable for anything other than short rides and the bike's suspension wasn't spec'd with a passenger in mind. they'll get a seat and some pegs and if they're lucky, a grab rail.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't want a sport tourer, I don't ride hard enough for it to matter, and have no need to compromise with the seating position. Actually had a concourse for a bit, It wasn't for me. The weight distribution felt wrong, and the riding position was pretty awkward. Fjr looks like a more of the same, so I'm glossing over it.

The 600lbs is meant to represent a class of a bike, to give an idea of what my interests are.

The Goldwings and cruisers are in the next 800lbs+ class

I do like the new Goldwing, despite the weight. It carries itself well, but the steering is very numb and disconnected. Don't think I'm ready for one yet, but will probably end up getting one 10 years down the line. Or if I end up touring with a passenger more than 10% of the time, like it is now. She was perfectly fine on a nt700 and Concourse, anything past this point is an upgrade.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you think the new Goldwing's steering is numb and disconnected, you're not going to like what you get from BMW

You already shot the Versys down; try the Tracer 9 GT/GT+. You could also step up to bikes like the Multistrada (maintenance $$$ though, more than BMW, but also way more fun to ride)

FWIW I think you're making a mistake by not even trying the FJR b/c you didn't like the Concours - the C14 has a more aggressive riding posture and tries a lot harder to be a sport bike. The FJR sits pretty upright, the controls can be adjusted and you can get bar risers if you need a sit-up-and-beg riding position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

When did Honda stop making the ST1300?