Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Vince is close friends with Trump. That's probably the reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I meant that Linda has been much more involved with politics and the Trump administration than Vince.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's probably why this just popped up in my news feed:

"On July 21, 2023, Mr. McMahon went on medical leave after undergoing major spinal surgery,” the company wrote. “Mr. McMahon will remain on medical leave until further notice but will remain Executive Chairman of the Company.”

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Doesn't seem to be about Trump.

Vince's comments:
“In 2022, WWE formed a special committee to review allegations of misconduct against me. That review was concluded in November 2022 following an extensive investigation. Throughout this experience, I have always denied any intentional wrongdoing and continue to do so. I am confident that the government’s investigation will be resolved without any findings of wrongdoing. I am focused on completing the recovery process from my recent spinal surgery and on closing our transaction with Endeavor, which will create one of the preeminent global sports and entertainment brands.”

WWE
“We believe this is a continuation of the investigation that commenced last summer. WWE has cooperated throughout and fully understands and respects the government’s need for a complete process.”

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just noticed what they called him. Traditionally the announcers call him "Vince". "Mr. McMahon" is reserved for when he's playing a heel.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Seriously though, he stole a bunch of the shareholder's money and they let him go on the condition that he resign, then he forced his way back onto the board, made himself CEO, and sold the company. I'm sure at least one shareholder wants to go after him for going back on the deal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

Vince's comments:
“In 2022, WWE formed a special committee to review allegations of misconduct against me. That review was concluded in November 2022 following an extensive investigation. Throughout this experience, I have always denied any intentional wrongdoing and continue to do so. I am confident that the government’s investigation will be resolved without any findings of wrongdoing. I am focused on completing the recovery process from my recent spinal surgery and on closing our transaction with Endeavor, which will create one of the preeminent global sports and entertainment brands.”

WWE
“We believe this is a continuation of the investigation that commenced last summer. WWE has cooperated throughout and fully understands and respects the government’s need for a complete process.”

Ah OK. I hope he goes to prison

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Vince sold the company to Endeavor, right? Does that mean that they can fire him if they determine he's too much of a political or PR liability? :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Vince sold the company to Endeavor, right? Does that mean that they can fire him if they determine he's too much of a political or PR liability? :v:

I am not holding my breath for the company that employs Joe Rogan and Dana White and which encouraged Vince to stay with the company to do this, no.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1642880564108701698?t=5vy6pqk0NqGr_SgcW3szgA&s=19

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:shrug: Vince has had extremely good representation throughout his time at the top (UK WWF lawsuit notwithstanding), I'm sure everything that could possibly bind him to the company that legally could was in the paperwork. Plus getting rid of him would hurt Ari's next targetted acquisition if their boss wanted to stay on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't Jerry McDevitt retire recently?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kennel posted:

Vince's comments:

WWE
vince has a lot to learn from brother donald
instead of releasing this as a statement to the press, he should have posted an unhinged free-associative rant in all caps to a random lovely website nobody uses about how investigating crimes is illegal and a fraud carried out by people who hate him and are trying to destroy wwe and everything you love and you should give him free money

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So maybe this isn't the right question or maybe it's more complicated but have WWE stars succeeded because of Vince or in spite of Vince? I know they go through a lot of different gimmicks before finding one that clicks but he seems super involved in the creation of those if I'm reading what y'all are saying correctly

I'm going to look at all the different world champions since Hogan.

- Hulk Hogan: Hogan was considered a no-brainer. He was a huge deal after Rocky 3 and people were shocked he never became the top guy in AWA, but that was because Verne Gagne knew it was only a matter of time before Vince poached him. Hogan represents everything Vince sees as a top star, so they meshed perfectly.

- Andre the Giant: He was well past his prime, but Vince was at least able to give him a new coat of paint with his heel run and the back surgery that was necessary to make him somewhat mobile.

- Randy Savage: A big deal under Vince. Probably could have been a much bigger deal had it not been for Hogan holding him under his thumb and Vince being spooked about Savage being "too old."

- Ultimate Warrior: Vince was always looking for someone to replace Hogan (see: Tom Magee, Lex Luger), so Warrior fit like a glove. Warrior wasn't booked well after becoming champion and he became too much of a liability to ever step up again.

- Sgt. Slaughter: Past his prime during his title run and was more of a prop to latch onto current events. Considering they had to change the location of WrestleMania 7 and Slaughter was never anything close to a big deal after dropping the title, his run under Vince wasn't much of a success.

- Undertaker: Absolutely a success under Vince. It was one of his big ideas and he thought Calloway was perfect for the role. Considering Undertaker didn't become good at wrestling for another 15 years or so, it's a testament to what Vince is capable of on his best days.

- Ric Flair: Showed up fully-formed. He and Vince had a mutual respect and worked well enough together, though Vince famously hated Flair's amazing post-win speech at the 1992 Royal Rumble.

- Bret Hart: Constantly became the top guy in spite of Vince. Vince embraced how different he was compared to Hogan, but he kept trying to throw him to the wayside in hopes of finding the next Hogan knockoff and it never worked.

- Yokozuna: Got a lot of mileage out of a limited performer via mystique and xenophobia. Once all of that was gone, Yokozuna couldn't really cut it and became toxic due to his weight gain to the point that even WCW didn't want him.

- Bob Backlund: Took an admittedly boring top star from a bygone era and made him seem new and fun with a persona that led to a very short title run, but defined him for the rest of his career. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN?! THIS IS SPORTS EDUCATION!!

- Diesel: Built him up perfectly over the initial couple years as a total badass, but the moment he became champ, Vince sabotaged himself by trying to make him into Hogan. Vince stuck to his guns on this for an entire year and the moment Diesel stopped being champ, he became insanely entertaining.

- Shawn Michaels: It's still surprising that Vince would be so into a guy Michaels' size and style. Vince may have gone a bit overboard on shoving Michaels down people's throats as a top face, as once people started booing him, Vince really seemed to take it personally.

- Sid: His title runs never seemed to matter much other than being a transitional champion. He fit with Vince's style, but never ascended to real super stardom.

- Steve Austin: Austin became top guy through a lot of reasons. Hard work, Triple H briefly loving up his own push, Bret Hart helping make him a big deal, and especially Vince being open to listening out of desperation. Austin was able to get through to Vince despite Vince's weird logic and it paid off. Then Vince made him legendary via their feud, though it did go on way too long.

- Kane: Third time's a charm!

- The Rock: Vince tried the "always smile no matter what" gambit that failed with Diesel and the fans hated it. The desperation from WCW handing them their rear end led to Rock turning heel and the rest is history.

- Mankind: The initial idea for Mankind was a pretty perfect take on making a new version of Cactus Jack. Booking him to terrorize Undertaker regularly really helped. The two had a very agreeable relationship at the time and helped mold Mankind into his best self, culminating in his title run. Really, if anything, Vince should have stepped in to stop Foley from taking so many ridiculous bumps, but Vince is gonna Vince.

- Triple H: Lame starter gimmick that was made specifically to make fun of Vince's neighbors. Between the Attitude Era making that gimmick obsolete, his spot as Michaels' best friend, and his intention to be the next Ric Flair (who Vince loves), Triple H became the ideal top heel character after Michaels had to step down. Joining Vince's family simply solidified his status.

- Mr. McMahon: Vince killed it in this role. Still, it should be noted that the persona initially worked so well because of his role in the Montreal Screwjob and Vince reacted to that incident with an out-of-character interview ("Bret screwed Bret.") where he lacked so much self-awareness that you had no choice but to legit hate him.

- Big Show: Vince once said that WCW didn't know how to book the Giant properly. Then we got the guy with the most face/heel turns in history, who never became a top name despite sticking around for about 20 years. At least his initial title win was great.

I'll go into the 2000s next time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol at vince

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

- Big Show: Vince once said that WCW didn't know how to book the Giant properly. Then we got the guy with the most face/heel turns in history, who never became a top name despite sticking around for about 20 years. At least his initial title win was great.

You mean the win, not the run, right?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince books all giants the same way but its still a step up from what wcw was doing with big show lol

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince books all giants the same way but its still a step up from what wcw was doing with big show lol

The giant coming to the ring smoking a cig was the most awkward poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWDTjxy2oaQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

rally posted:

The giant coming to the ring smoking a cig was the most awkward poo poo.

He was all "Leave me alone, I'm smokin'"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You mean the win, not the run, right?

Yeah. The way they booked Big Show that night ruled.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol big boss man stealing big show's dad's corpse

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol big boss man stealing big show's dad's corpse

Show's feud with Boss Man was wall-to-wall must-see TV. This poo poo's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_le2RRk634

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Defiance Industries posted:

Show's feud with Boss Man was wall-to-wall must-see TV. This poo poo's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_le2RRk634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSh35ryueA

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If Vince goes to court, what are the odds on there being days and days of testimony just on how to speak carney, and how to not work yourself into a shoot

Your honor the State would like to show a video of Dusty Rhodes as it perfectly describes what "cutting a promo" is.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The feud was loving hilarious, but it culminated with a match where Wight just dragged Bossman's unconscious body around the ring for a few minutes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It was kind of awesome how this stupid, stupid storyline just randomly turned into a guy becoming champion. Like Big Boss Man accidentally pissed off Big Show to the point that he became a surprise contender out of nowhere.

- Big Boss Man goes ham on making fun of Big Show's dead dad.

- Throwaway Survivor Series tag match is put together with the two as captains.

- Big Show is so loving pissed that he doesn't want his jobber teammates and proceeds to kick their asses backstage.

- Big Show single-handedly beats Boss Man's team in like 90 seconds.

- Steve Austin is hit with a car in the parking lot and they need a replacement for the triple threat main event for the title with Rock and Triple H.

- Fresh off going into beast mode, Big Show is given the opportunity and wins the belt.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Was this Big Show's actual dead dad, his kayfabe dead dad, or Andre The Giant, who was actually dead but was his former kayfabe dad?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Big Show's actual dad had died several years earlier, so it was a non-Andre kayfabe dad death.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was this Big Show's actual dead dad, his kayfabe dead dad, or Andre The Giant, who was actually dead but was his former kayfabe dad?

pretty sure big show's kayfabe parents were mark henry and mae young

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
to this day big show has fans approach him and say how much they loved his father... andre the giant and it annoys the hell out of him lol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
YOU’RE A BIG NASTY BASTARD AND YOUR MAMA SAID SO

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

And his little bro is just a hand

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if big shows dad was really andre the giant then big boss man would not have been able to steal his coffin as andre's massive size would have torn the car in half

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm curious, how many 'big wrestlers' have won the Royal Rumble? The only one I can think of is Yokuzuna.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

pretty sure big show's kayfabe parents were mark henry and mae young

So he's just a hand?

Bogus Adventure posted:

And his little bro is just a hand

Damnit!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

More:

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/8748392/vince-mcmahon-raided-federal-law-enforcement/

Never forget that last part…

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious, how many 'big wrestlers' have won the Royal Rumble? The only one I can think of is Yokuzuna.

Are they allowed to be very tall or is fatness also a must

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

So you're saying Dana White is gonna be the third goomba to go down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SirPhoebos posted:

Big John Studd won in 1989. Also, Big Show technically won in 2000. Rock was deemed the winner, but his feet very obviously touched the ground in the end and they later had to write around it.