Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Took me forever till I saw a streamer do it that you can do a leaping charged sword attack to shoryuken them into the air. So my attempt at being fancy is charged jumping sword->3hit basic air>hop off them into extreme downthrust ->magic burst?to pretend to be a dragoon.
Closest thing to a combo in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FireWorksWell posted:

Let them work on octopath 3 imo

Let's compromise, they get to make Octo 3 but one of the travelers is named Cid.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Let's compromise, they get to make Octo 3 but one of the travelers is named Cid.

Well, one of the travelers names does need to start with C.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yoko Taro..........

“Okay, so then a giant Lilly blooms above the ruins…”

“Ah, sorry Taro-san, we did that last time.”

“…you what?”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bugblatter posted:

Well, one of the travelers names does need to start with C.

Welp, I learned something new today.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

Welp, I learned something new today.

Yep! Octopath 1 has:

Ophelia
Cyrus
Therion
Olberic
Primrose
Alfyn
Tressa
H'aanit

Octopath 2 has:

Osvald
Castti
Throné
Ochette
Partitio
Agnea
Temenos
Hikari

(Octopath 2 even has a second OCTOPATH hidden somewhere else)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm a little after kupka.

Man, I hope this nazi batch gets what's coming to her. Clive's mom is directly responsible for like 80% of the miserable poo poo that happened so far lol

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's no way to save your Eikon loadout, right? So that you can just switch between builds quickly instead of having to reinvest points and re-select skills every time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

There's no way to save your Eikon loadout, right? So that you can just switch between builds quickly instead of having to reinvest points and re-select skills every time?

There is not but YoshiP mentioned in an interview that is something they are looking to patch in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Killing the Flan Prince at +6 levels was satisfying and makes me feel like I'm figuring things out.

However I think I just have to give up on ever using Torgal commands because I always lose track of which menu is up and end up burning all my potions trying to spam commands during combos lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Killing the Flan Prince at +6 levels was satisfying and makes me feel like I'm figuring things out.

However I think I just have to give up on ever using Torgal commands because I always lose track of which menu is up and end up burning all my potions trying to spam commands during combos lol

The most infuriating thing is that the game auto switches you to the potion menu at semi-arbitrary points. So even if you yourself keep good track of which menu you’re on, you still have to double check that the game didn’t switch on you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is this Lord Commander's accent lol?

Is it Icelandic

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is this Lord Commander's accent lol?

Is it Icelandic

His VA is Icelandic and all the Waloeders have vaguely Nordic accents so I believe so, yeah.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's kind of interesting how Waloed is consistently Nordic-ish, while the cultural signals from the other nations are more jumbled.

Bugblatter posted:

The most infuriating thing is that the game auto switches you to the potion menu at semi-arbitrary points. So even if you yourself keep good track of which menu you’re on, you still have to double check that the game didn’t switch on you.

It switches to the potions menu whenever the game is restarted. Otherwise it's only happened to me if I get to a point where Torgal isn't in the party. Still annoying that it doesn't remember the menu setting as part of the save state.

Got to the last eikon in new game+ and goddamn I had to blow through every potion I had except for a Last Elixir. His tells just mess me up and lead me to dodge too early, and everything hits so drat hard. It doesn't help how dark the lighting is for most of the fight leading to it being easy to get blinded by combat effects.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 31, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thundarr posted:

It's kind of interesting how Waloed is consistently Nordic-ish, while the cultural signals from the other nations are more jumbled.

It switches to the potions menu whenever the game is restarted. Otherwise it's only happened to me if I get to a point where Torgal isn't in the party. Still annoying that it doesn't remember the menu setting as part of the save state.

Got to the last eikon in new game+ and goddamn I had to blow through every potion I had except for a Last Elixir. His tells just mess me up and lead me to dodge too early, and everything hits so drat hard. It doesn't help how dark the lighting is for most of the fight leading to it being easy to get blinded by combat effects.

Sanbreque is fairly consistently French, except for the fact that nearly everyone on Storm has English accents.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Darth Walrus posted:

Sanbreque is fairly consistently French, except for the fact that nearly everyone on Storm has English accents.

Trying to get pan-European representation in a game of this size usually requires outsourcing your VA to multiple studios and it's easier to just coordinate within a single country. Hence why all the accents in any vaguely European AAA game are predominantly just British.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think the vibe they were at least going for culturally was Rosaria being a mishmash of English and German, Sanbreque being French as hell, and Dhalmekia being vaguely Turkish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I think the vibe they were at least going for culturally was Rosaria being a mishmash of English and German, Sanbreque being French as hell, and Dhalmekia being vaguely Turkish.

I think Rosaria is just English. See also, the Tudor rose. Any German elements are simply a consequence of England being kind of German.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It winds up not mattering in combat anyway because Torgal is basically only good at torgaling in this game and it turns out that torgaling is of limited utility in a fight.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
if only Torgal's skills could change and you could customize it
they mention that the lineage primary was connected with Shiva's dominant, but since it spent time with Cid a lot, it had signs of electric powers. And since its been spending the whole game with you, you think his abilities would expand to match you, but nope, he just has the same vanilla moves the game. I assume another thing left on the cutting room floor

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GateOfD posted:

if only Torgal's skills could change and you could customize it
they mention that the lineage primary was connected with Shiva's dominant, but since it spent time with Cid a lot, it had signs of electric powers. And since its been spending the whole game with you, you think his abilities would expand to match you, but nope, he just has the same vanilla moves the game. I assume another thing left on the cutting room floor

My guess is that's referring to how if you hit Torgal's Sic or Ravage moves with the right timing, he gets all fiery when he does them

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ror posted:

It winds up not mattering in combat anyway because Torgal is basically only good at torgaling

Alright, who Torgled?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Trying to get pan-European representation in a game of this size usually requires outsourcing your VA to multiple studios and it's easier to just coordinate within a single country. Hence why all the accents in any vaguely European AAA game are predominantly just British.

Xenoblade 2, and to a degree 3, do it. Each Titan nation has its own dialect accent (English, Welsh, Scottish, and Australian), and they keep that for Xenoblade 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Do the +XP accessories stack?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do the +XP accessories stack?

They did when I tested 'em a couple weeks back

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah okay the Odin fight was...very off. Something must have gotten cut behind the scenes, 'cuz even the Garuda fight was more exciting.

Plot-wise the guy fought you twice beforehand and kicked your rear end both times and also beat Joshua easily and split the fuckin ocean but this time you just win because...willpower? I guess? It was also very unclear how and why and when Clive and Barnabus could or couldn't Prime. Like they did it but then they got...too tired? Which is something that never happened before. The rules around Eikons and priming were already pretty inconsistent and this didn't help matters. And then the fucker spouts Catholic gibberish for ten minutes and then dies. Uh alright.

How much of the game is left after this? Am I near the end?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Xenoblade 2, and to a degree 3, do it. Each Titan nation has its own dialect accent (English, Welsh, Scottish, and Australian), and they keep that for Xenoblade 3.

That's not pan-European representation that's just British people lmao.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah okay the Odin fight was...very off. Something must have gotten cut behind the scenes, 'cuz even the Garuda fight was more exciting.

Plot-wise the guy fought you twice beforehand and kicked your rear end both times and also beat Joshua easily and split the fuckin ocean but this time you just win because...willpower? I guess? It was also very unclear how and why and when Clive and Barnabus could or couldn't Prime. Like they did it but then they got...too tired? Which is something that never happened before. The rules around Eikons and priming were already pretty inconsistent and this didn't help matters. And then the fucker spouts Catholic gibberish for ten minutes and then dies. Uh alright.

You're not very far from the end. A few hours not counting sidequests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

If you don't do any of the new side quests that probably just opened up, you basically just have the final area to go.

As for the fight: Dominants being too tired to prime has happened before. It's why Jill couldn't prime at the very start when she was ordered to do so to kill Clive and the other Bearer soldiers who were there to capture her, and it's also what happens at the end of the fight with Hugo, when both he and Clive stop using their powers and Hugo just starts punching him until he gets his hands cut off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Odin flew up into the sky and created a laser sword roughly the size of a city which Clive leapt up, *caught between his palms*, broke in half, and then he used the broken half to Zantetsuken Odin. That poo poo just rocks and I can't imagine how you don't think it is appropriately epic. The primes not being able to prime is an ongoing thing. It happens to Shiva, Clive and Joshua all at least once.

Also Clive got Shiva in between his losses and wins. That's a big part of the point. He got literally stronger, both metaphorically and literally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
literally stronger both metaphorically and literally, you say

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

literally stronger both metaphorically and literally, you say

Literally. Now excuse me I need to go to the ATM Machine and enter my PIN Number.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Eh it's very weird and inconsistent that Clive was able to prime into Ifrit for multiple lengthy stages against Titan and Bahamut, performing feats at least as impressive as anything he does here, but ran out of juice so quickly in this case. I thought it was going to be revealed that something had gone wrong, like Ultima was interfering somehow, but no it just...happens, and nothing is made of it.

If they were gonna have Clive get tired from priming, it should have at least happened after a fight stage where you get to play as Ifrit against Odin because, gameplay-wise, it's frankly bizarre that we just watch a cutscene of this happening instead of having a fight scene like with every other Eikon fight. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Eh it's very weird and inconsistent that Clive was able to prime into Ifrit for multiple lengthy stages against Titan and Bahamut, performing feats at least as impressive as anything he does here, but ran out of juice so quickly in this case. I thought it was going to be revealed that something had gone wrong, like Ultima was interfering somehow, but no it just...happens, and nothing is made of it.

If they were gonna have Clive get tired from priming, it should have at least happened after a fight stage where you get to play as Ifrit against Odin because, gameplay-wise, it's frankly bizarre that we just watch a cutscene of this happening instead of having a fight scene like with every other Eikon fight. :shrug:

If I had to guess, I feel like they probably didn't want the Ifrit fight after Bahamut to be a letdown, and they also wanted the fight with Barnabas to be a duel, so they didn't have Joshua there to fuse with Clive. Going back to regular Ifrit after that might have felt underwhelming so they instead focused on a fight between the two men rather than the two Eikons.

It did feel kind of limp after Bahamut, though, can't argue with that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in retrospect with the last dominant, barnabas pulling that Trails “heh, this is not a fraction of my power” bullshit after you bring down a nuclear-powered dragon in orbit was maybe an inadvisable choice, let alone doing it twice

they could have taken the edge off by giving him some kind of personality beforehand but he’s so miserably ponderous for most of his screen time that you feel like you’re being punished for getting invested up to that point

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah, the Odin fight is by no means bad, but you do Titan and then Bahamut one after the other and then Odin and Odin just ends up feeling a little anticlimactic after those two.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, the Odin fight is by no means bad, but you do Titan and then Bahamut one after the other and then Odin and Odin just ends up feeling a little anticlimactic after those two.

I wonder if they could have switched Odin and Bahamut’s placement somehow in the story; you’d need some rewrites especially for Joshua, but it could have let you have good Dion a little earlier, and maybe Olivier-Ultima and Annette would have tried to do something super hosed up which would still have the stakes pretty high

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Also just finished the Odin fight just now. Yea gonna parrot some stuff, and also some other comments on a few sidequests I finished

Right after Clive got Jill's eikon. And then Joshua punches him lol. Clive is like "but i slept with her too" and then they high five. (not really, but i imagine so)

The finish of the sidequest Trading Places where the brother dies was pretty sad.
I think they go overboard with the fucks in this game, its like every other line. Its like they saw the M rating and just went ham with it.

I really wish they did more with Barnabas other than him just screaming frantically about his god the whole time. He doesn't even have a real commanding officer or companion to bounce off of because he was fake.
Instead of Clive being a one-man army, wouldn't have minded the dominants all in a single party, and a nice story arc for each of them. Lots of dynamics they could have done when the main traveling party as Clive, Jill, Hugo, Benedicta, Cid (can still die) or something.
The fight was kind of underwealming. This guy that kicked Joshua's rear end. One-shot Shiva, beat Clive no contest like 2 times. And he just kind of just stops, Like it be one thing if he was just losing on purpose, but didn't seem that way. Like I can see Clive beating him in an eikon fight (which he did in the one cool moment), but I don't believe at all that Clive would win in a swordfight against Barnabas. Clive has no sword skills, all he does is chop and hack like a woodsman.

Odin's skills look neat, but I totally stop paying attention and just keep spamming the attack button and get hit by everything.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 2, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that whole sequence makes a lot more sense when you just assume that Clive got the Baki sex power-up from losing his virginity

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that fight kicked rear end, no idea what people are on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The problem with Odin is that in the final phase he becomes a cackling maniac and that's fun but then in the next scene he is back to being stoic. wtf!!!