Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Good burn, but way too pop-culture and 'topical.' Instantly dates the book. Honestly, at that point, they might as well just start putting in straight-up meme pictures. A Crinos sitting on a rock while the forest burns around him saying 'this is fine,' perhaps.

I mean, the classic books are chock full of references to poo poo that hasn't been relevant in 30 years and has sent me digging around the internet to get context, so I see it as a continuation of tradition so that in 30 years when the next doofus takes up the mantle of reviewing all the 5th ed stuff they too can be deeply confused and go searching for answers to the dumb references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If they wanted to make that joke it should've been 1 dot. Saying you need to have peak possible levels of restraint to possibly not spend 44b on twitter is still techbro worship.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Someone fixed the cover.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
no ri- wait gently caress

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paradox Werewolf Update Said posted:

We engaged a large team of writers and consultants from diverse backgrounds to make sure Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5th Edition represents sensitive topics with care. Indigenous writers in particular were present in the writing process from the outline stage, and took part in the development both as consultants and writers.

They sure were present! Anyway, here's Animal Attraction back!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Poor editing/oversight aside, why is so much of the writing so bad? It's like they paid teenagers to do it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ferrinus posted:

Poor editing/oversight aside, why is so much of the writing so bad? It's like they paid teenagers to do it.

This is perfect.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Bold of you to assume that the teenagers were paid.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Just read the Harano and Hauglosk rules, where I was hoping to maybe have my mind changed, and maybe I had too awful of a knee jerk reaction I had to seeing they were tracked stats on the sheet.

Maybe they can be used as a launch pad to tell potent stories of overcoming them. What? No? You just turn your character sheet over to the ST? Oh.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Free Gratis posted:

Just read the Harano and Hauglosk rules, where I was hoping to maybe have my mind changed, and maybe I had too awful of a knee jerk reaction I had to seeing they were tracked stats on the sheet.

Maybe they can be used as a launch pad to tell potent stories of overcoming them. What? No? You just turn your character sheet over to the ST? Oh.

I'm... What? They can't be that dense.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

I'm... What? They can't be that dense.

I’m not done with the book yet, but there doesn’t appear to be any effects for having check marks in the respective boxes. Unless something get revealed later, they just seem to be countdown clocks before you have to make a new character.

You test to gain Harano marks by facing setbacks, or you can willingly gain a mark in order to refill your Rage.

You test to gain Hauglosk if you violate a Chronicle Tenet, or you can willingly gain a mark to refill your Willpower.

It’s so incredibly uninteresting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

is there a way to clear them?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Free Gratis posted:

Oh.

Yeah, that's uninspired.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

is there a way to clear them?

I haven’t come across a way yet, but engaging your Touchstones allows you to shunt a mark from one tracker to the other.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

According to Sambrano who is going over the PDF now there is indeed some of their work still in the game but neither he nor any of the Hunters Entertainment folks get even a 'additional design by' credit.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Someone fixed the cover.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So they got rid of Moon Bridges in 5E too, to force to - according to Achilli - focus on the local and have recurring characters and make characters care about their home caerns and it's like, Justin, I did all that with being able to teleport around the world.

Is this what people who went into Revised Mage felt like when it wasn't having magic kung fu battles on starships off with the moon of Titan rising over the horizon anymore?

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Free Gratis posted:

I’m not done with the book yet, but there doesn’t appear to be any effects for having check marks in the respective boxes. Unless something get revealed later, they just seem to be countdown clocks before you have to make a new character.

You test to gain Harano marks by facing setbacks, or you can willingly gain a mark in order to refill your Rage.

You test to gain Hauglosk if you violate a Chronicle Tenet, or you can willingly gain a mark to refill your Willpower.

It’s so incredibly uninteresting.

Newbie here, but that sounds a lot like corruption in Urban Shadows. Corruption wouldn't go away and once filled up, your PC would turn into a NPC. General theme is your character isn't going to last forever, and you should play to make things matter, rather than survival.

Worked in Urban Shadows, but don't know much about Werewolf.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

So they got rid of Moon Bridges in 5E too, to force to - according to Achilli - focus on the local and have recurring characters and make characters care about their home caerns and it's like, Justin, I did all that with being able to teleport around the world.

Is this what people who went into Revised Mage felt like when it wasn't having magic kung fu battles on starships off with the moon of Titan rising over the horizon anymore?

Kinda.

Honestly, pretty much every new edition of every oWoD line involved depowering the splats and majorly reducing scope.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Everything I'm reading feels like they're making all the same overcorrections they made when they created Forsaken 1st edition. Forcing a smaller scale, changing to tone from one of heroism to one of absolute and assured failure and depression.

DropTheAnvil posted:

Newbie here, but that sounds a lot like corruption in Urban Shadows. Corruption wouldn't go away and once filled up, your PC would turn into a NPC. General theme is your character isn't going to last forever, and you should play to make things matter, rather than survival.

It really Doesn't. The idea that any werewolf only has four, maybe five major setbacks in their life before they wander off to wallow in depression for the rest of their lives kind of negates the idea of a Werewolf Society.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

DropTheAnvil posted:

Urban Shadows also gave you thematic power-ups as corruption increased, as opposed to a series of energy refills that can be eaten by acting badly. So yeah, it doesn't feel like a great implementation of the system at first blush.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

It really Doesn't. The idea that any werewolf only has four, maybe five major setbacks in their life before they wander off to wallow in depression for the rest of their lives kind of negates the idea of a Werewolf Society.

That's really how it works? Happens five times and poof, Storyteller Character?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You can apparently shuffle points between tracks by using your touchstones but no one's found a way to clear them yet. No.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The thread title prophecy…

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

changing to tone from one of heroism to one of absolute and assured failure and depression.

On this note, the beginning on the book is really rough. It repeatedly hits you with how much things suck and the apocalypse is now and Gaia may already be dead etc etc.

I get that ecological crisis is very real, but the opening of this book was like doom scrolling twitter and didn’t make me want to play at all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

You can apparently shuffle points between tracks by using your touchstones but no one's found a way to clear them yet. No.

Surprise! W5 is actually Glitch.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I do now want a spinoff game about NEET werewolves though.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

I just got to the Talisman (new word for Fetish) section. There’s a Talen called “Gaia’s Tears” that can lower Harano or Hauglosk by one, but they can’t be made and are exceedingly rare objects found in the Umbra, so plot device.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Needing to make weekly excursions into the deep umbra to gather enough Good Things that your society doesn't self destruct is somewhat at odds with "We got rid of moon bridges because we want you to care about your Caerns."

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Guessing this is another one of those oWoD books where you just run it in homebrewed CofD.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Do you get to vent some harano/hauglosk when you finish an plot arc?

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Free Gratis posted:

On this note, the beginning on the book is really rough. It repeatedly hits you with how much things suck and the apocalypse is now and Gaia may already be dead etc etc.

I get that ecological crisis is very real, but the opening of this book was like doom scrolling twitter and didn’t make me want to play at all.

Yeah the biggest problem with the current white wolf is that they forgot the gonzo poo poo that they put (more often unentonally than not) in they old books balances out all the dark poo poo in it.

Hell if was in charge of the line I would embrace the gonzo, granted if I was in charge of the then WOD will slowly morph into something resembling battle anime setting so who knows.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Making the morality track split between two 5-dot scores as opposed to one 10-dot system doesn't irk me, and I imagine there'll be some handwaving similar to how Humanity's not really something you get back but if you do it's New Rating x 10 or similar.

What does irk me is the fact they changed Rat's gender. Although I wanna hang out with Friend of Ours and do legally dubious yet morally correct favors in exchange for street festivals.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 2, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's not a morality track though. It's two different mental damage tracks and if either of them hits 5 you become an NPC.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Free Gratis posted:

I had the exact opposite take from my brief reading so far. Yeah, shits really hosed, so get mad and fix it (with claws and teeth). It is the point of playing Apocalypse, murdering Captialism and it's agents.

e: yo Dawgstar check your PMs. Or drop me a line at admin@worldofdorkness.com I want to talk to about an idea

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 2, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm so glad I don't give a poo poo about WtA, and honestly never have.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kurieg posted:

It's not a morality track though. It's two different mental damage tracks and if either of them hits 5 you become an NPC.

That you can apparently shunt stuff back and forth between, giving you up to 8 total before you lose the PC. My brain just parses it the same as Humanity since once you get a vamp to humanity 2 they're just as unplayable on my eyes.

joylessdivision posted:

I had the exact opposite take from my brief reading so far. Yeah, shits really hosed, so get mad and fix it (with claws and teeth). It is the point of playing Apocalypse, murdering Captialism and it's agents.

That's my general take as well. Reach Harmony Through Violence.

They'll have to pry Mama Rat from my cold dead grognard hands though.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 2, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You've inherited a broken world where everything is hosed and you're depressed and angry and your only hope is to get killed before you kill yourself is my loving life I don't need to spend $70 in order to get that in a loving roleplaying game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Yeah the biggest problem with the current white wolf is that they forgot the gonzo poo poo that they put (more often unentonally than not) in they old books balances out all the dark poo poo in it.

Hell if was in charge of the line I would embrace the gonzo, granted if I was in charge of the then WOD will slowly morph into something resembling battle anime setting so who knows.

oWoD was very 90s OVA anime, with gratuitous gore and violence. So that would merely be a change of genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Don't care for the Frenzy rules.

"While in frenzy, the Garou becomes immune to Health-based penalties (such as Impairment) short of dismemberment, and they receive a three-dice bonus to resisting Mental Gifts or Gift-like effects, such as vampiric powers, unless the powers specifically affect a target in frenzy. The werewolf cannot themselves use Gifts, however, and must keep acting out frenzy, or the player must yield control of the character to the Storyteller. The player may not use Willpower in any way, such as rerolling dice."

That feels like unnecessary finger wagging.