Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Very weird segment of the interview on covid and the vaccine tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Taibbi wrote some good books, shame to see what he really was.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

love to rail against "finance capitalists"

may I interest you in the ideas of a famous 20th century industrial capitalist, who had a lot to say about financial capitalists?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Critical support for Matt calling Bernie a feckless coward.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Isentropy posted:

may I interest you in the ideas of a famous 20th century industrial capitalist, who had a lot to say about financial capitalists?

Francis Parker Yockey wasn't a capitalist. :confused:

I got a big kick out of this one, because FPY was personally snubbed by Oswald Moseley, who also refused to read his dumbass book.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
nm

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

re: taibbi and idpol - him getting incredibly worked up about dumb "campus free speech" poo poo a couple of years ago was probably the first sign that this would be where he ended up

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

I took a peak at the interview, and this did seem to be one of the points from the idpol section.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

listened to the episode about kirgizistan, i had no idea they had such a large scale ethnic cleansing during the 2000s

anyway death to the ngos

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

listened to the episode about kirgizistan, i had no idea they had such a large scale ethnic cleansing during the 2000s

anyway death to the ngos

If only there was a system of government in which Kyrgyz and Uzbeks got along... perhaps a union of republics...

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

If only there was a system of government in which Kyrgyz and Uzbeks got along... perhaps a union of republics...

people talking about the fall of the soviet union as a victory for minorities is kinda maddening after learning how minorities got and get treated in the newly independent republics

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The nation-state is the greatest model the rules based international order has yet to produce, citizen.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

I think he looks good, and headline aside, he supports class first leftism throughout and points to idpol emerging after Occupy as weakening the left. It's just that the only people who will give you a platform to talk about that are the right.

Lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the only book he wrote that delivers a remotely leftist critique of anything he completely disowned because of idpol and his new fanbase so i don't really think any of that is true or ever has been true of taibbi

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Francis Parker Yockey wasn't a capitalist. :confused:

I got a big kick out of this one, because FPY was personally snubbed by Oswald Moseley, who also refused to read his dumbass book.

Egyptian dictator Yasser Arafar lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I liked Griftopia well enough. Then again talking poo poo about banks and our financial/economic system is shooting fish in a barrel.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Megamissen posted:

people talking about the fall of the soviet union as a victory for minorities is kinda maddening after learning how minorities got and get treated in the newly independent republics

it's very funny to see people talk about how the soviet union dissolved peacefully when in fact it was insanely violent, just not in any places anyone in the west cares about

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

skooma512 posted:

I liked Griftopia well enough. Then again talking poo poo about banks and our financial/economic system is shooting fish in a barrel.

Griftopia and The Divide were the ones I was thinking about.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Megamissen posted:

People who say that are usually unabashed fans of creating ethnostates by massive ethnic cleansing. They usually like the destruction of Yugoslavia too.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Peggotty posted:

People who say that are usually unabashed fans of creating ethnostates by massive ethnic cleansing. They usually like the destruction of Yugoslavia too.

lol yeah. the Ukraine/Russia conflict really brought out some sickos

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

it's very funny to see people talk about how the soviet union dissolved peacefully when in fact it was insanely violent, just not in any places anyone in the west cares about

Gorbachev peacefully handed over the mantle of power to Yeltsin who peacefully transitioned Russia into a peaceful liberal democracy before peacefully passing the peaceful torch to Putin, who hosed it all up!!

And that's just Russia!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Listening to the John Griffiths interview and lol that the big winner on the NATO side is the Gepard for its anti-drone capability because the US MIC has nothing like it and the closest they ever got was the Sgt York, which was a boondoggle so lovely that it got canceled under Reagan

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nothus posted:

Listening to the John Griffiths interview and lol that the big winner on the NATO side is the Gepard for its anti-drone capability because the US MIC has nothing like it and the closest they ever got was the Sgt York, which was a boondoggle so lovely that it got canceled under Reagan

The York deserved far more the lovely rep that the Bradley ended up with.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The old western bias for missiles over cannons gets owned again

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I always feel like this host doesn't know as much as John and Mark think he does but maybe I'm being a bit unfair.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The York deserved far more the lovely rep that the Bradley ended up with.

It's a notoriously bad weapons platform that never entered service, so it's actually shittier than the Bradley. AFAIK the Bradley never almost killed the entire viewing gallery at a prototype demonstration.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I always feel like this host doesn't know as much as John and Mark think he does but maybe I'm being a bit unfair.

he clearly knows lots about hardware but didn't come across as especially insightful or well-informed about the war from a strategic level. I think John and Mark are just desperate to find people who will back up their perspective on the war, which is understandable given all the gaslighting in the US media sphere

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gato posted:

he clearly knows lots about hardware but didn't come across as especially insightful or well-informed about the war from a strategic level. I think John and Mark are just desperate to find people who will back up their perspective on the war, which is understandable given all the gaslighting in the US media sphere

they should have me on

I'm listening to the landmines episode and love the callout that while mine technology has gotten better, its still probably the most low-tech weapon on a modern battlefield, and still the scariest one. AP mines are the perfect mix of "you hosed up, your death or maiming was your fault" with "you had no agency in the matter" and that is uniquely terrifying.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a notoriously bad weapons platform that never entered service, so it's actually shittier than the Bradley. AFAIK the Bradley never almost killed the entire viewing gallery at a prototype demonstration.

Do you realize how much good was narrowly avoided that day

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Do you realize how much good was narrowly avoided that day

The thought of all those military bigwigs and corporate observers hitting the deck and running for their lives is something straight out of Hot Shots.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm sure it's only a glitch

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Listening to old eps and in 130 Mark mentions that he translated some archive footage on Bitter Lake, which I think is Curtis's best work

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I don't remember which episode it was but their sound guy recently said he had covid and then I think Mark started laughing at him lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fleetwood posted:

I don't remember which episode it was but their sound guy recently said he had covid and then I think Mark started laughing at him lol

391 I think. Don't remember the laughing though

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Listening to the latest episode. :siren: RWN predicts the offensive war is done :siren:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kiev, Warsaw and Prague fall in the next week

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The literary episodes are some of my favorites, so it's great to hear them take another dive into PK Dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Agreed, the PKD episode was great.