Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I loving love QR codes at restaurants, it's one of the few good things to come out of the pandemic.

Scan as you go self-checkout is also good once you get used to it.

Neither of these are good for workers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

teen witch posted:

Can’t even get energy drinks on self checkout without an employee to let it through here, but that’s due to law (kids under sixteen can’t buy them).

We have that in supermarkets, I’m not sure if it’s a law or a voluntary thing (NZ)

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

QR codes at restaurants are fine until whatever lovely hosting they use goes down and then you’re sitting there awkwardly asking about menu items

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
QR Codes suck. Always. Even if it's a perfectly formatted menu (it never is), and laid out well (it never is), having an effective viewport of a loving phone as opposed to a menu that's printed on 14" x 11" paper is just the worst. I hate your PDF menu.

The one thing that kinda makes PDF menus better would be search, except you are searching on a loving phone and the UX is such utter trash that I would just rather not. It also never works because the PDF menus people put up are just PDF pages that are badly compressed JPGs of their menu.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
What being forced to use QR Codes feels like

https://youtu.be/bO206886Jrw

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

i've been replacing those menu QR codes with ones that link to goatse :homebrew:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

anonumos posted:

I'll go one farther: Quickbooks always sucked.

:eyepop:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

evobatman posted:

I loving love QR codes at restaurants, it's one of the few good things to come out of the pandemic.

Scan as you go self-checkout is also good once you get used to it.

Neither of these are good for workers though.
The ones Kroger requires you to scan for additional discount don't even work.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How did QR code menus even become a thing? Did the people selling online ordering services for restaurants do this? Were ever-changing menus that much of a problem?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
The excuse was something something sanitation pandemic something something, but they became a thing for the normal revenue-generating or cost-saving reasons that emerge whenever there’s a plausible excuse to make it sound like a favor to the customer:

• save money on printing costs
  • opens the door to dynamic pricing
  • easy data mining and internet tracking from anyone that views your menu

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

wash bucket posted:

How did QR code menus even become a thing? Did the people selling online ordering services for restaurants do this? Were ever-changing menus that much of a problem?

I unfortunately was on the team that first used/popularized them and it was all just a kneejerk reaction to our profits dropping during the pandemic (transaction processor that heavily catered to restaurants). It was designed to make it as effortless as possible for restaurants to switch to contactless service (literally required no work on their part, just clicking a button in their account with us then having their employees print out the QR codes and tape them to tables) but lol no one cared about the customer UX concerns that were my job to levy.

The stuff in the post above is definitely true of them but their initial implementation was literally just because "oh poo poo no one is ordering from restaurants anymore and we don't get a cut of the transactions that aren't happening, how do we save ourselves"

e: For what it's worth I don't think any of the team that developed them had any idea that restaurants would drop other ordering methods entirely and start only using QR codes but that's because they didn't even read UX tickets, which is exactly what causes almost every problem with modern tech startups' services.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 2, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: wrong thread

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I unfortunately was on the team that first used/popularized them and it was all just a kneejerk reaction to our profits dropping during the pandemic (transaction processor that heavily catered to restaurants). It was designed to make it as effortless as possible for restaurants to switch to contactless service (literally required no work on their part, just clicking a button in their account with us then having their employees print out the QR codes and tape them to tables) but lol no one cared about the customer UX concerns that were my job to levy.

The stuff in the post above is definitely true of them but their initial implementation was literally just because "oh poo poo no one is ordering from restaurants anymore and we don't get a cut of the transactions that aren't happening, how do we save ourselves"

e: For what it's worth I don't think any of the team that developed them had any idea that restaurants would drop other ordering methods entirely and start only using QR codes but that's because they didn't even read UX tickets, which is exactly what causes almost every problem with modern tech startups' services.

You guys are getting UX tickets?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It was my job to manage the jira instance where all the UX tickets were filed left to rot :shobon:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jelly posted:

This makes me angrier than anything in this thread. Like how is this legal? You can't redefine a measurement system.

Okay, go ahead and show me all the historical examples of redefining a measurement system.

How many megabytes in a gigabyte are there, again?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

self checkouts own if you have bad anxiety. being able to go grab some shopping without interacting with another person has been very useful to me at times.

Literally the perfect username/post combination.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I bought a box of bomb pop popsicles. Now maybe it's because it's a fancy flavor (sour patch kids maybe?) and they are a disappointment. Kind of soft and mushy and not the icy treats I craved. Now, I don't despise them, but I do see this as part of the overall process of sherbetification this thread was made for.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Time_pants posted:

How many megabytes in a gigabyte are there, again?

1024, always and forever

:colbert:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I bought a box of bomb pop popsicles. Now maybe it's because it's a fancy flavor (sour patch kids maybe?) and they are a disappointment. Kind of soft and mushy and not the icy treats I craved. Now, I don't despise them, but I do see this as part of the overall process of sherbetification this thread was made for.

sour patch products outside of the original candy are also universally known to be terrible.

i can't blame you tho bc I'd still buy them to see as well, and be equally sad

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

1024, always and forever

:colbert:

This, unless you are in the business of actually selling storage, then 1000... of course.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've got one: Laptop touchpads. I feel like there was an era sometime during the mid-late 2000s to around like 2015 or something, when touchpads were at least kinda decent. There were actual separate buttons, and the pad was more or less responsive. I could even play some games, like turn based strategy, with a laptop with a touchpad! Nowadays, every laptop I've owned or been handed to me for work has had those buttonless touchpads that are just awful in terms of responsivity, and constantly click when I don't mean to click. I find that having a wireless mouse is essential to using one and having a decent experience.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Touchpads were never good, but on Windows I definitely agree the software has gotten worse. My last windows laptop the synaptic driver would just quit and I had to do the Fn button combination to turn the touchpad off and on. Acer said this was an appropriate fix, and I got no warranty on it. Ended up getting a MacBook and have been completely satisfied with it's touchpad.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

how do they get their poo poo back together next year

They don''t.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Triikan posted:

Touchpads were never good, but on Windows I definitely agree the software has gotten worse. My last windows laptop the synaptic driver would just quit and I had to do the Fn button combination to turn the touchpad off and on. Acer said this was an appropriate fix, and I got no warranty on it. Ended up getting a MacBook and have been completely satisfied with it's touchpad.

Oh yeah, I mean no where in my post did I say that touchpads were good, but I feel like there were at least acceptable touchpads for a while.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

StrangersInTheNight posted:

sour patch products outside of the original candy are also universally known to be terrible.

i can't blame you tho bc I'd still buy them to see as well, and be equally sad
Friend I hear you on that and big respect. But I'm gonna bring up one outlier: ghost energy drink. Like yeah SPK coast on the popularity of the red flavor (which itself coasts on the flavor of red swedish fish) but they know when they have a good thing going. The red flavor of ghost is real drat good.

But I see it as part of an overall problem where a food product gets softer and shittier over time. Like sour punch straws and shark bites (and nearly all fruit snacks for that matter). Not just shrinkflated. Don't baby me, Big Candy. Give it to me hard and chewy. Also put tangy taffy back on the market, with those weird sugar crystals.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is only an assumption but I assume the general decline of touchpads is related to the shift towards designing everything to be platform-agnostic, so everything has to stoop to the level of mobile devices. A touchpad is close enough to a touchscreen for some developer to decide to just treat it like a touchscreen at some point, so then you lost the analog buttons because they figure they can just replicate mobile device gestures etc. on the touchpad instead of actually designing touchpad controls.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 2, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Alaska Airlines got rid of their easy check in kiosks where you could check in, change your seat, pay your baggage fee and get the paper receipt my work requires, and print your baggage tag. They replaced those kiosks with kiosks that only print baggage tags. They did this because they want to try to force you to get the app and do your check in and whatnot there, then you beep your phone to get your bag tag.

My old-man-yells-at-clouds thing is putting superfluous apps on my phone. I just refuse to get an app, sign up for an account, sign up for the mailing list, and give away all my data for a one time use of an app. So I had to stand in line like it's 1995 to have a worker check me in. She confirmed it's worse for everyone and everything takes forever now. gently caress you Alaska.

It's just removing all sorts of functionally to make the process worse.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why are all computer cords the same color? Why can't mouse cords be always green, and keyboard cords always blue? A mass color of wires is so much nicer than a bunch of white or black cords.

And why is the Dollar Menu gone. Part of the reason you go to McDonald's is for cheap food. And why has every single MCD's near me gone from bright colors to straight brown or grays?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrSunshine posted:

I've got one: Laptop touchpads. I feel like there was an era sometime during the mid-late 2000s to around like 2015 or something, when touchpads were at least kinda decent. There were actual separate buttons, and the pad was more or less responsive. I could even play some games, like turn based strategy, with a laptop with a touchpad! Nowadays, every laptop I've owned or been handed to me for work has had those buttonless touchpads that are just awful in terms of responsivity, and constantly click when I don't mean to click. I find that having a wireless mouse is essential to using one and having a decent experience.

HP touchpads can be disabled if you double tap them on the left upper corner. What the gently caress. At least make it an Fn key or something.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why are all computer cords the same color? Why can't mouse cords be always green, and keyboard cords always blue? A mass color of wires is so much nicer than a bunch of white or black cords.

And why is the Dollar Menu gone. Part of the reason you go to McDonald's is for cheap food. And why has every single MCD's near me gone from bright colors to straight brown or grays?

It's cheaper to just use the black cladding.

Mcdonalds is merely recognizing the coming of a period of high interest rates and austerity, and so is reverting to 1970s styling.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
McDonald's is desperately trying to shed its image as "crap food for children" "the place where screaming kids are" etc. That's why they've been euthanizing every actor who ever played Ronald, and hunting down all the ones they haven't got yet.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I thought of making a thread where we listed things that aren’t getting shittier. Then I realized there wouldn’t be any content for it. Business degrees ruin everything.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

atomicpile posted:

I thought of making a thread where we listed things that aren’t getting shittier. Then I realized there wouldn’t be any content for it. Business degrees ruin everything.
shrinkflation and skimpflation haven't hit π, yet.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

atomicpile posted:

I actually did and it has 4 posts. so, you know...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

atomicpile posted:

Rush Limbaugh still dead

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Not for long! He's got enough material in the library that the autocomplete bots will revive him from the dead soon

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

McDonald's is desperately trying to shed its image as "crap food for children" "the place where screaming kids are" etc. That's why they've been euthanizing every actor who ever played Ronald, and hunting down all the ones they haven't got yet.

Back when McDonald's was first trying to make fancy coffee drinks I ended up going there with a manager one afternoon on a coffee run for the office. Well for some reason that very afternoon they had a Ronald McDonald actor show up to do his routine and yuck it up with the folks waiting in line. But it was 2:30pm on a Tuesday so it was nothing but construction workers in line for a late lunch and business types trying to get coffee. Zero kids. After a while the clown got frustrated that everybody was just awkwardly trying to ignore him so he left.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Thought about getting a volcano burrito from Taco Bell for old times sake, but I know that it wont be the same. Taco Bell went waaaay downhill past few years.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Thought about getting a volcano burrito from Taco Bell for old times sake, but I know that it wont be the same. Taco Bell went waaaay downhill past few years.

Doritos tacos are the greatest fast food ever made.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

atomicpile posted:

Doritos tacos are the greatest fast food ever made.

Do the best of both worlds: order Doritos locos tacos and get a cup of volcano sauce on the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

BigHead posted:

Alaska Airlines got rid of their easy check in kiosks where you could check in, change your seat, pay your baggage fee and get the paper receipt my work requires, and print your baggage tag. They replaced those kiosks with kiosks that only print baggage tags. They did this because they want to try to force you to get the app and do your check in and whatnot there, then you beep your phone to get your bag tag.

My old-man-yells-at-clouds thing is putting superfluous apps on my phone. I just refuse to get an app, sign up for an account, sign up for the mailing list, and give away all my data for a one time use of an app. So I had to stand in line like it's 1995 to have a worker check me in. She confirmed it's worse for everyone and everything takes forever now. gently caress you Alaska.

It's just removing all sorts of functionally to make the process worse.

At least 3 airlines in Canada have done this poo poo too. Even if you do install the apps, they never work properly, so every passenger has to line up to check in in person. This is especially true if you don't use seat selection. Both app and online check ins are completely unable to handle assigning an available seat unless you pay to choose one.