Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I just bought a set of gouges for carving wood from a Ukrainian maker and they very thoughtfully included a packet of bandaids in with the chisels. The leatherworking knives I got from the same maker are viciously sharp, so that is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Saul Kain posted:

This guys is one of my favorite youtubers. A Ukrainian blacksmith that makes cool knives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA0YPmjKOo

Someone buy this man a band saw for the love of Україні

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fearless posted:

I just bought a set of gouges for carving wood from a Ukrainian maker and they very thoughtfully included a packet of bandaids in with the chisels. The leatherworking knives I got from the same maker are viciously sharp, so that is appreciated.

That's actually pretty cool, the seller realizing "yeah he's gonna need these" and tossing in a pack of bandages

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've had some...injuries from assorted causes-
one of the worst minor ones was accidental poking my left hand with a freshly sharpened chisel. It went effortlessly in about a half inch before I felt it. It was one of those where an adult would go to the hospital, but it needs stitches and I don't like needles. Put all those dudes say the knife was sharp enough they didn't feel it into some tiny perspective.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've had some...injuries from assorted causes-
one of the worst minor ones was accidental poking my left hand with a freshly sharpened chisel. It went effortlessly in about a half inch before I felt it. It was one of those where an adult would go to the hospital, but it needs stitches and I don't like needles. Put all those dudes say the knife was sharp enough they didn't feel it into some tiny perspective.

I intelligently hung my chisels up in a nice row, with another set right below them. I still have a scar on my arm from where it brushed against the top row while pulling from the bottom. Neer even felt it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

orange juche posted:

That's actually pretty cool, the seller realizing "yeah he's gonna need these" and tossing in a pack of bandages

I thought so too! I am going to make a bunch of little leather tip covers for them though.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

M_Gargantua posted:

Someone buy this man a band saw for the love of Україні

Yeah I'd happily donate a Milwaukee to this dude. That hacksaw made my elbow hurt watching it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Fearless posted:

I just bought a set of gouges for carving wood from a Ukrainian maker and they very thoughtfully included a packet of bandaids in with the chisels.

Haha, that's awesome. I'll have to tell my father that, he'll get a kick out of it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Saul Kain posted:

This guys is one of my favorite youtubers. A Ukrainian blacksmith that makes cool knives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA0YPmjKOo

speaking of ukrainian youtubers, i guess kreosan got the gently caress out of dodge

a bunch of apparently judiciously timed pre-recorded videos of chernobyl in winter throughout the first half of 2022 and then shows up in thailand in june

watching that channel transition from "we made a homemade flamethrower out of old washing machine bits and whatnot" to "well, luhansk has been occupied, here's how to make wifi extenders and also lets go check out the destroyed aiport" was real weird in 2014

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

6 gun rotary mounted MG3s, the spider web sight in the middle of the circle.

Hello, Raytheon? Give me 100 million dollars, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3FGiNRyGqg (AFAICT, the gunner here misses the drone they're shooting at)

But I'm genuinely flummoxed that we've not seen more data on a Designated Skeet Shotgunner as a counter-drone weapon.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 2, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I once read an account of a extremely posh British officer, in spring 1940, lecturing his newly raised and now highly bemused formation of ex-miners and brummie shop workers about how shooting down a Stuka with their rifles was 'Just like bagging a brace of grouse on the wing on the Glorious 12th!'.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ukrainians and supporters in surrounding countries have started a cottage industry of 3d printing drone bombs, including EFP variants:

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/08/01/ukraines-latest-weapons-in-its-war-with-russia-3d-printed-bombs

quote:

Some candy bombs can even be used against armoured vehicles. Copper and aluminium are pressed inside these bombs into a specially designed cone shape. When the explosives detonate, the metals are transformed into a thin jet of superheated plasma that can bore its way through armour. (The same technique is used by many commercially made anti-tank weapons.) Ukrainian drone operators claim to be able to destroy Russian tanks by dropping these bombs, which weigh around half a kilo, onto the vehicle’s roof, where the armour is thinner.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20118

quote:

Similar odd stories emerged from other regions of Russia. In Rossosh, a 24-year-old teacher was detained after throwing a Molotov cocktail at the military enlistment office, sharing a similar account of being manipulated into committing the act.

In Mozhaysk, a 45-year-old woman was tricked by scammers posing as bank employees. They convinced her that criminals were hiding within the military enlistment office and asked her to pour flammable liquid on its windows to flush them out.

IRS/tech support scams but telling people to commit domestic terrorism instead.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
As a computer toucher I don't know whether to be horrified to the bone or deeply impressed.

Both? Impressively horrified?

Do I have to worry about people getting phishing mails, but instead of stealing passwords it's forcing entry to my server room to pull out all the tape reels?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Mumbai accentishly: "we have detected fraud in your paypal account. Can you drive this truck to the entrance of the SVR? "

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Dunno if middle-aged teacher is the one being naive here, or you guys (and the fsb)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Xakura posted:

Dunno if middle-aged teacher is the one being naive here, or you guys (and the fsb)

I propose a third option: turn on your monitor

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Of course the context of all this is a world where the media is filled with propaganda, the government is openly corrupt, even your neighbors cannot be trusted, and the balkanized military is well-known for both waging covert strikes against their rivals and strong-arming civilians into doing their bidding. Making the wrong decision leading to you or someone you love manning in a trench in Ukraine is a very possible outcome from any interaction with a stranger.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

My first reaction is that people can’t be that stupid. My second reaction is that of course they can be.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

Mumbai accentishly: "we have detected fraud in your paypal account. Can you drive this truck to the entrance of the SVR? "

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fearless posted:

Boss's kid and his girlfriend got into whittling and I was like "oh hey, that'll be fun. Here's a handful of bandaids because the 2 that came with your kit isn't going to be enough and they're crap anyway.

the GF was offended.

Until about 10 minutes later when she needed one.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

PurpleXVI posted:

Reminds me of the Russian security service raid where they planted 3 Sims3 game copies instead of planting SIM cards.. someone got told to find people attacking their glorious conscription offices and went and created some terrorists to round up.
Entrapment? No, more rebels!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fearless posted:

I remember the first time i accidentally cut myself with a knife that i'd sharpened, i felt a mixture of pain & anger at being so stupid :argh: ... closely followed by smugness that it had sliced in without me catching on till the blood pooled, nice clean scar too. :agesilaus:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Just Another Lurker posted:

I remember the first time i accidentally cut myself with a knife that i'd sharpened, i felt a mixture of pain & anger at being so stupid :argh: ... closely followed by smugness that it had sliced in without me catching on till the blood pooled, nice clean scar too. :agesilaus:

I was sharpening chisels by hand without a guide. I felt a pinch and was pretty bummed to see that I'd taken a clean round of finger tip skin off but that I'd felt it.

Same situation as you at first, but then I noticed I did it to my other two fingers and didn't feel those. Then I doubled down on smug and satisfied.

:hai:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I was sharpening chisels by hand without a guide. I felt a pinch and was pretty bummed to see that I'd taken a clean round of finger tip skin off but that I'd felt it.

Same situation as you at first, but then I noticed I did it to my other two fingers and didn't feel those. Then I doubled down on smug and satisfied.

:hai:

Happily my days in catering are long gone and as you say guides are a thing. :)

If i stab myself with a honing steel i'm doing it very, very wrong.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PurpleXVI posted:

My hot take on this is that Russian security services don't want to admit that Ukrainian/domestic saboteurs are active and able to set draft offices on fire so they arrested a few random people and made up this insane but slightly plausible story which also has good 'Those dastardly Ukrainians tricking honest and loyal Russians :argh:' domestic propaganda value.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My hot take on this is that Russian security services don't want to admit that Ukrainian/domestic saboteurs are active and able to set draft offices on fire so they arrested a few random people and made up this insane but slightly plausible story which also has good 'Those dastardly Ukrainians tricking honest and loyal Russians :argh:' domestic propaganda value.

I don't think Ukrainian saboteurs are responsible for setting fire to enlistment offices. Consider what danger they're in just being in Russia, the consequences of getting caught and what trouble it likely is to get a meaningful amount of weapons and explosives deep beyond the border, they probably have more important targets.

Nascent domestic rebels? Possibly. I could genuinely see the SBU offering desperate Russians hosed over by the sanctions and etc. a bucketful of money for doing a bit of terrorism.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I did that the other day with a new folding knife like the idiot that I am, and my first thought was "god dammit if this wasn't a knuckle cut it would probably heal absolutely perfectly".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It could be both.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Unlike their horrific industrial maintenance practices leading to outcomes that are all but indistinguishable from sabotage (at least in the outcomes), attacks on recruiting offices would be a step up.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3FGiNRyGqg (AFAICT, the gunner here misses the drone they're shooting at)

But I'm genuinely flummoxed that we've not seen more data on a Designated Skeet Shotgunner as a counter-drone weapon.

Olympic trap shooting is at pretty much the maximum range of what is possible with birdshot. 76 meters travel, but you try to break the clay closer than that. This is to hit a clay plate that is spinning fast enough to disintegrate with a less than full-on hit.

There aren't a whole lot of Olympic level trap shooters in the world and their guns start at over $2000 USD, going all the way up to sky's the limit for a full custom gun.

The payload a shotgun, even a 3 1/2 inch Magnum Goose Fucker, can deliver is too slow, too light, and too unpredictable to be really useful any further than 25m. Assuming, of course, that you can even see the drone well enough to hit it. They tend not to be painted bright orange and black.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Obviously the answer is the Yamato’s beehive round.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Saul Kain posted:

Obviously the answer is the Yamato’s beehive round.

23mm AA gun barrels get bored out to make the KS-23 shotgun. Reverse the process a bit and you have a dual or quad 23mm shotgun with a three foot long barrel!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A 4 gauge? Beef up the beretta semi auto system, add a drum, call it the sky sweeper, bingo bango let's goooooo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deptfordx posted:

I once read an account of a extremely posh British officer, in spring 1940, lecturing his newly raised and now highly bemused formation of ex-miners and brummie shop workers about how shooting down a Stuka with their rifles was 'Just like bagging a brace of grouse on the wing on the Glorious 12th!'.

I mean, if you can actually pull it off you've got a great trophy story. And it is how they got the Red Baron (maybe).

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
21st Century Punt Guns leesssgooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQQfKxkZpk

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, if you can actually pull it off you've got a great trophy story. And it is how they got the Red Baron (maybe).

That was an Aussie Infantryman with a Vickers... more than likely.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That was an Aussie Infantryman with a Vickers... more than likely.

It was a Canadian who got an airport named after him.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It's mostly agreed on that it was an Aussie with a Lewis Gun that killed the Red Baron, but he wouldn't have been able to take the shot if Roy Brown a Canadian pilot hadn't been pursuing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mikerock posted:

It's mostly agreed on that it was an Aussie with a Lewis Gun that killed the Red Baron, but he wouldn't have been able to take the shot if Roy Brown a Canadian pilot hadn't been pursuing him.

Also TBI.