Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

just give me a battlefield where you're all tiny toy soldiers

thanks

Army Men Sarge's Heroes online FPS :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mr.Acula posted:

thanks

Reminds me of that genre of custom maps in source engine games where there’s gigantic rooms and you’re like, mouse sized. Those were always fun even if they were poorly balanced.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Battlebit is legitimately the best Battlefield game in like a decade

This, battlebit is great.

It's closer in feel to the older titles like Battlefield 2, but that's not a bad thing.

e: To clarify it has similarly fairly accurate guns with low TTK, along with the same general "modern warfare" setting. The newer battlefields are more bullet-spongey and thematic in comparison.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 2, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

FutureCop posted:

Just recently beat Deadlink (at least on the default difficulty) and had a blast! Didn't even need to put that many runs into it to get that far, most likely because Doom Eternal is one of my favorite games and this might as well be Doom Eternal: Roguelite edition, so a lot of that skill transferred over, especially since I beat it as the soldier shell which may as well be the doom marine. Definitely consider grabbing it if you love Doom Eternal and other fast-paced boomer shooters! If you're like me, you might already have it on your account from a past bundle when it was in its early access state.

Only complaints I have at the moment is that:

1) It does have metaprogression which I know can be a sticking point for some people, especially since, while it is mostly for widening the room completion reward pool and getting new character classes, there are also some slight permanent statistical upgrades (more damage, more armor, more credits, etc) that can make it feel unfair to be limited on your first runs. It didn't feel that bad to me, but hey, it can be a preference thing, and its true that usually I prefer it not be there. They also did update it from early access to give you some upgrades right from the start to give a more fair experience: for example, they used to lock away max ammo behind meta, but now it's part of your starter kit.

2) The final boss had not only a terrible voice actor that sounded like they just got someone's family member to do it for free, but was constantly spouting memes like "here I am again, like your own reflection in a hall of mirrors" and "nanomachines, son" and so on and so forth. I dunno, just felt incredibly awkward. I guess you could argue it's intentional to make fun of people in power as being out-of-touch? I suppose it did make me really want to kill them.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960361/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690472847

I just saw an article about this today and I think I wanna get it. How does it compare to roboquest if you've played that?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The 7th Guest posted:

good news, battlefield is going to become even worse

https://twitter.com/BFBulletin/status/1686488813009272833
You know, I haven't played any military-themed shooter since Medal of Honor: Frontline, and I don't feel like I've been missing much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bad Seafood posted:

You know, I haven't played any military-themed shooter since Medal of Honor: Frontline, and I don't feel like I've been missing much.

you absolutely have tbh, just going on the smash hits you missed all the great call of duty campaigns plus the peak battlefield multiplayer with great destruction

fair enough if you dont like shooters in general but as much as there was a bad glut of them, they had some real standouts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

you absolutely have tbh, just going on the smash hits [b]you missed all the great call of duty campaigns/b] plus the peak battlefield multiplayer with great destruction

fair enough if you dont like shooters in general but as much as there was a bad glut of them, they had some real standouts

They didn't miss that much there

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

you absolutely have tbh, just going on the smash hits you missed all the great call of duty campaigns plus the peak battlefield multiplayer with great destruction

I'll take your word for it, but looking at the genre as a whole from outside (as opposed to any specific game in particular), it always seems to be at the forefront of market trends and cultural shifts within gaming that I don't particularly care for. I'm a fair-weather shooter fan, but the military-flavored ones just fail to appeal.

Besides, why pay an additional $506070 to have a 14-year-old kid yell slurs at me when I can just post on the Internet?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

modern warfare 2 was a wonderful wild ride that still holds up as a high point for the blockbuster spectacle of that series, though yeah a lot of what made cod 4 special is kinda lost nowadays

black ops 2 is still great with a shockingly large number of reactivity to choices that arent explicitly posed to the player, as well as non-game over failure states

and every single one by treyarch or infinity ward i havent mentioned is still a great time if you enjoy a bit of spectacle for five or so hours on average

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll take your word for it, but looking at the genre as a whole from outside (as opposed to any specific game in particular), it always seems to be at the forefront of market trends and cultural shifts within gaming that I don't particularly care for. I'm a fair-weather shooter fan, but the military-flavored ones just fail to appeal.

Besides, why pay an additional $506070 to have a 14-year-old kid yell slurs at me when I can just post on the Internet?

if we're taking just multiplayer, nothing else does the sheer scale like battlefield, and voice chat is 100% optional

cod multiplayer is take it or leave it, but even then, they have zombies mode if you like your horde co-op survival stuff without base building nonsense

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 3, 2023

KNR
May 3, 2009
Not sure they'd count as military, but imo the only worthwhile run around headshotting people with low ttk assault rifles and smgs shooters he'd have missed out on are the two Titanfalls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KNR posted:

Not sure they'd count as military, but imo the only worthwhile run around headshotting people with low ttk assault rifles and smgs shooters he'd have missed out on are the two Titanfalls.

Those are super skippable too

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nobody in this thread actually likes videogames.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

I like good ones

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Those are super skippable too

if you honestly think titanfall 2's campaign is skippable then you hate fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't particularly good

I got it for free at least

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Begemot posted:

In one of the recent news posts they included a handy image showing exactly what time it will be when it releases:

I hope nobody forgets to watch Twitch to get your purple underwear drop

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

Many goons have anhedonia and only receive happiness from telling others how much they dislike playing video games.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Ragequit posted:

That's lavender, not periwinkle. :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That's terror.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RBA Starblade posted:

It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't particularly good

I've been in these god forsaken forums for years and this has to be in the top 3 of worst opinions I've read in here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ragequit posted:

Watch 2 hours to get cosmetics? Good lord

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I skipped the campaign and went straight to wall running in multiplayer

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Leal posted:

Watch 2 hours to get cosmetics? Good lord

Seems to be a common timeframe. I assume you could just fire it up and minimize the browser.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been in these god forsaken forums for years and this has to be in the top 3 of worst opinions I've read in here.

I'm sure I have four better ones

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ragequit posted:

was this originally planned for Saints Row

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ragequit posted:

Seems to be a common timeframe. I assume you could just fire it up and minimize the browser.

I recently did this for PoE and noticed they actually make you watch it, like if you tab away or minimize it stops counting your progress. I wanted to watch all the content so it didn't matter but you'd have to either second screen it or idk make the window tiny or something

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MMF Freeway posted:

I recently did this for PoE and noticed they actually make you watch it, like if you tab away or minimize it stops counting your progress. I wanted to watch all the content so it didn't matter but you'd have to either second screen it or idk make the window tiny or something

There is a recently introduced browser standard that can tell if a window is in focus or not. It is trivial to disable on all sites (on firefox at least) as the tech has no legitimate use other than to antagonize users. I first noticed it when youtube was refusing to play in the background; that poo poo lasted all of five minutes. Fuckers.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBO3JNqjrv8

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I keep misreading 2042 as 2142 (the best Battlefield game) and then get annoyed and disappointed all over again when I realize that nobody talks about that one anymore.

My favorite Battlefield story is from a LAN party playing either 1942 or Vietnam. A buddy and I were having a tense back-and-forth sniper battle, hiding behind trees and taunting each other with every kill. I saw him crossing between cover and had him in my sights, just about to take a shot, when another dude at the LAN party just barreled through and ran him the gently caress over with a jeep. We were so focused on looking at/for each other through the scopes that neither of us saw the jeep coming. It was great and we all had a good laugh about it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ragequit posted:

Well you have to do something since you wont be preloading.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Serephina posted:

There is a recently introduced browser standard that can tell if a window is in focus or not. It is trivial to disable on all sites (on firefox at least) as the tech has no legitimate use other than to antagonize users. I first noticed it when youtube was refusing to play in the background; that poo poo lasted all of five minutes. Fuckers.

Can you point to instructions on how to disable it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I like good ones

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Can you point to instructions on how to disable it?
I think maybe it's "Disable Page Visibility API" in about :config

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is my release. It was made for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone have a Turtle Beach gamepad? I bought a Recon, and can't get it to play nice with Windows over Bluetooth. It connects, but the buttons aren't mapped properly and Gamepad Tester calls it an "Unknown Gamepad". It works fine wired.

I installed the Turtle Beach control center to update the gamepad, but that didn't help.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tango alpha delta posted:

The very best multiplayer was Black Ops 2 in 2012. Modern Warfare 2 (2009) comes pretty close. If you have an XBox, matchmaking has been turned on again for both, so dust off your old games and go have fun!
Fixed.

The pick system was the best and most flexible loadout system COD has ever had and it was at its Apex in BLOPS2. Being able to run around with just a pistol and trophy system was great.

buglord posted:

How was Battlefield 2042 anyway? I played it during an open beta, did like two rounds, uninstalled. The last time I really played BF for an extended period was BF4, which was decent enough but I just played the dumb metro high ticket max player servers. But the last time I really had legitimate fun in a battlefield game was Bad Company 2 with the game type where you had to arm bombs in order to push the front lines. I also have fond memories of Strike at Kirkland and Wake Island 32v32 on BF2.

Mordja posted:

Goons who still play it will insist it's a lot better now but when I tried a free weekend recently it still felt weirdly floaty and unappealing. Last BF I played was BF1, which is also probably my favourite.
I mean if you're not used to it and/or haven't unlocked any guns that "feel right" to you, it's not going to be the best, but I think it's in a really good place now. It's extremely fast and frentic and you can run around at high speed and shoot people in the face with one of a half dozen overpowered guns that feel great. The vehicles are fast and pretty well balanced, and the actual 2042 innovations like the vehicle call-ins and attachment swapping plus system are things you'll miss when you play any other Battlefield or Battlefield-like game. All of the maps are at least alright and have decent amounts of cover now that they have finished the reworks. The movement and gunplay is definitely the closest to COD it has ever been though, Warzone specifically, so that may be what feels "floaty" to you.

Rusty posted:

The guns and shooting in BF1 felt terrible. I know people like how aesthetics (though I am not sure how it felt like WW1) but the shooting part was bad. it's one thing 2042 has going for it really, but I play Battlebit these days which feels better than both.
BF1 eventually added at least one gun for each class that felt more less like a modern gun, automatic fire and all, and once you did the dumb missions to unlock it that was the only one to use (well for ammoman you could pick between the LMG that was good against people but weak against planes and the LMG that was good against planes but weak against people). If you didn't use those guns it felt properly ye olde timey but you couldn't compete with those that did.

buglord posted:

BF1 was my last favorite because I have painful vivid memories of dying from people I never saw. It seems that BF1 was a goon favorite but I was extremely, shockingly bad at it it compared to the other titles. Skill issue, I know :(
Yeah snipers were annoying on BF1, especially on Sinai around the sniper rocks. In 2042 snipers are probably as weak as they've ever been, but you'll still get sniped from time to time.

explosivo posted:

Ah yes, the last Battlefield launched in an abysmal state and everyone hated it let's just commit to making the next one somehow worse so we can squeeze as much money from these rubes as possible
That's just the Battlefield cycle.

Mr.Acula posted:

thanks

Fake Name posted:

This would be amazing
Hell yeah, Battlefield Heroes/Army Men crossover.

Bad Seafood posted:

That means you haven't played the fantastic World War One shooter that everyone's been raving about for decades. You know the one.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have a Turtle Beach gamepad? I bought a Recon, and can't get it to play nice with Windows over Bluetooth. It connects, but the buttons aren't mapped properly and Gamepad Tester calls it an "Unknown Gamepad". It works fine wired.

I installed the Turtle Beach control center to update the gamepad, but that didn't help.

Turns out it doesn't act as an Xinput device over bluetooth, which sucks. Steam allows you to get around this to an extent, because you can map any buttons it detects, but it doesn't detect every button (like Share), and regardless, some games will refuse to accept Steam Input (notably some Gamepass titles).

For those situations, Turtle Beach seriously suggests a 360 pad emulator.

Why is this so janky? I think I'm returning it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beats for junkies posted:

I keep misreading 2042 as 2142 (the best Battlefield game) and then get annoyed and disappointed all over again when I realize that nobody talks about that one anymore.

My favorite Battlefield story is from a LAN party playing either 1942 or Vietnam. A buddy and I were having a tense back-and-forth sniper battle, hiding behind trees and taunting each other with every kill. I saw him crossing between cover and had him in my sights, just about to take a shot, when another dude at the LAN party just barreled through and ran him the gently caress over with a jeep. We were so focused on looking at/for each other through the scopes that neither of us saw the jeep coming. It was great and we all had a good laugh about it.

2042 is the game where they were tasked to come up with a future version of c4 so they called it c5

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bad Seafood posted:

call of duty infinite warfare is a legitimately fun Expanse-a-like with that dialed in CoD gun feel and better than ok space fights, not to mention john thrones from gam eof throns

like find it somewhere or get it for 10 bux, it's not worth full price but def worth picking up on a sale or playing via a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Assepoester posted:

Fixed.

The pick system was the best and most flexible loadout system COD has ever had and it was at its Apex in BLOPS2. Being able to run around with just a pistol and trophy system was great.
which was the one that let you just have a scorestreak loadout that was just getting more and more perks so that you could spend your entire day knifing people while just getting better and better at it? that was loving great.