Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you don't mean Under Ninja, do you?

i think it is a tiny bit leftist, but that it's mostly just bleakly funny. in the last chapter i read a character talked about what was needed to ensure "reproduction of the ninja class" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm trying to find an older anime where seven people are fighting seven other people and each side has a constellation attached to them and when someone dies a star goes out and by the end the big dipper is about to disappear?

Also, no, it's not fist of the north star

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm trying to find an older anime where seven people are fighting seven other people and each side has a constellation attached to them and when someone dies a star goes out and by the end the big dipper is about to disappear?

Also, no, it's not fist of the north star

Is it Saint Seiya?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

you don't mean Under Ninja, do you?

i think it is a tiny bit leftist, but that it's mostly just bleakly funny. in the last chapter i read a character talked about what was needed to ensure "reproduction of the ninja class" lol

I think he's talking about Kamui Den

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Maybe, it was by the same guy I'm pretty sure at least. Ninja Bugeicho maybe

I remember it going pretty in detail about a brewing peasant revolt over being overtaxed during a failed irrigation project

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gripweed posted:

Is it Saint Seiya?

No.

It took place in "present day" of the time, so like 90's ish?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

x/1999 has two teams of seven linked to constellations but i do not remember the actual stars disappearing

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Talking about that randomly reminded me of Juni Taisen and how it had probably the shittiest ending possible. It's basically a battle royale/death game kind of plot with twelve contestants that each represent a figure from the zodiac. Winner gets a wish granted, magically. Over the course of the plot we learn about the various wishes of the contestants, which range from completely self-serving, like having a harem of 3.5 billion men, to fair, like bringing all the contestants back to life. Only one of the characters, Rat, doesn't really have a wish. Well, in the end Rat wins and, despite having heard all these different wishes, decides to wish to forget about everything related to the tournament. Rat was even allied and sympathetic to Monkey, the contestant who intended to wish everyone back to life

Just the dumbest, most unsatisfying conclusion. It doesn't even make sense thematically

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doc Hawkins posted:

x/1999 has two teams of seven linked to constellations but i do not remember the actual stars disappearing

I think this is the one, thank you

E: I'm reading it and maybe not

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Aug 3, 2023

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i was also disappointed with that ending but the author does set up that character to have that wish by the end, since it turned out that his only power was groundhog-daying the competition and he only won on his "last life" after one thousand failed attempts, so his trauma from the event was uh significantly higher than any other participant, but still, a bit annoying.

there's too much stuff that ends with "and everything went back to normal, because thats the best system we have and the best we can hope for"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Dude could've even wished for the tournament to never happen again, which would've at least ensured a world where there was no possibility of one person completely destroying society with a magic wish. He runs through a bunch of potential wishes that would improve things for everyone considerably, but picks none of them because none of them would fix every problem in the world. The wish granter even says "you can wish for a hundred wishes" and he dismisses it. It's just so bad

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Aug 3, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

i was also disappointed with that ending but the author does set up that character to have that wish by the end, since it turned out that his only power was groundhog-daying the competition and he only won on his "last life" after one thousand failed attempts, so his trauma from the event was uh significantly higher than any other participant, but still, a bit annoying.

there's too much stuff that ends with "and everything went back to normal, because thats the best system we have and the best we can hope for"

Who could guess the country where the US just put all the fascists back in power to rule would produce pop culture about how the status quo is cool and good and nothing needs to change.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm on an armored core kick, are there any mecha manga or anime that lean into the grimdark angle? I really like how bleak and cynical those are, it's a refreshing change of pace from gundam even something like IBO

Preferably something bloody

I've read Front Mission Dog Style which I remember being pretty good but with some classic "apart from that bit" manga caveats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1KAjuqqAsc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
the new trailer for the live action One Piece showed off Avilda, Kuro, Buggy, Mihawk, and Arlong. They're going to have all that in ten episodes. How fast is this show going to move through the story?

The walk to Arlong Park is going to be the smash cut to Arlong Park

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

They're probably going to truncate a lot of plot lines, like if they're teasing the Going Merry that early then they're probably not doing Usopp's plotline at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They're probably going to truncate a lot of plot lines, like if they're teasing the Going Merry that early then they're probably not doing Usopp's plotline at all.

No you see Kuro and the sheep head guy in the trailer.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

No you see Kuro and the sheep head guy in the trailer.

The whole season is gonna be a Surf Dracula.

https://twitter.com/KZXcellent/status/1687570315755274240?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Aug 4, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

US President George W. Bosch

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
zom 100 is cool but lol at the animators working on an anime about quitting your lovely job

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

zom 100 is cool but lol at the animators working on an anime about quitting your lovely job

They're apparently a relatively new studio (Bug Films) but they've worked on some neat projects in the last couple years (Summer Time Rendering, The Ancient Magus' Bride, The Witch From Mercury, Undead Murder Farce, etc). Zom 100 seems to be the first project they're working on independently. So, who knows, maybe it's a bunch of people who got together because they were sick of business practices elsewhere and it's actually cool there

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
that's neat if it's like that and not like mappa shoveling people to put out every other anime committee

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

that's neat if it's like that and not like mappa shoveling people to put out every other anime committee

Yeah it's batshit. It's clear that Mappa is full of extremely talented animators and it sucks that they'll probably burn out at the rate they're going. If they focused on just the projects that really deserve it and actually paid their workers fairly it would be cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
After 20 years, over 1,000 episodes, the best selling printed work of all time, Monkey D. Luffy unveils his final form, a level of godlike power believed mythical even by people who knew the dark secrets of history and have seen men destroy mountains with a single blow, and it's him just literally becoming a Looney Tune.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lots of people online are mad about it but it actually rules and I’m glad Oda went with that instead of something “badass”

Aug 7, 2023
[ANIME]

*Saturday night at midnight only

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

christmas boots posted:

lots of people online are mad about it but it actually rules and I’m glad Oda went with that instead of something “badass”

it absolutely rules. people were mad about it?! it was introduced so perfectly, with the foundations being laid hundreds of chapters ago! to say nothing of how perfectly it fits the literal original concept of one piece: "what if there was a fighting manga guy who kept getting stronger but never became scary to kids"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Luffy has also always been Looney Tunes as gently caress so it just makes sense. He's basically a cartoon character in a shonen

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Looks at Goku’s Ultra Instinct…. “no I dont think I’ll do that”

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ultra instinct is bad rear end though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It is! But I'm glad One Piece did its own thing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think more people are mad at how terribly the whole scene is animated rather than the looney tunes power up. It was legitimately garbage animation. There is so much shaky cam, strobe lights, and ultra close ups it’s impossible to follow the choreography at all or know what is even happening on screen. I legitimately would not have known it was even supposed to be cartoon powers without knowing about it from the manga.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the animation is good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i see, we're talking about it because the show must have finally reached that scene.

well, i liked it in the comic, that's all i know. legendary-type human fruits existing had been established, "awakening" fruit powers to make them affect the world around user had been established, the sun as a symbol of freedom had been established, and gear four looking like a guardian deity had been established, a+, no notes, hashtag trust the plan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

galagazombie posted:

I think more people are mad at how terribly the whole scene is animated rather than the looney tunes power up. It was legitimately garbage animation. There is so much shaky cam, strobe lights, and ultra close ups it’s impossible to follow the choreography at all or know what is even happening on screen. I legitimately would not have known it was even supposed to be cartoon powers without knowing about it from the manga.

are your eyes broken

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
tbf i do kind of agree that it was a bit difficult to follow some of what was happening right at the end, but joyboy made me smile so who cares really

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Finally got around to checking out season 2 of In/Spectre. It’s definitely way better than season 1. And the conclusion to the last main arc was absolutely diabolical. I really dig that it’s such a novel approach to the detective genre. It’s not really so much about figuring out the truth behind the mystery (thanks to supernatural nonsense) as it is about the protagonist guiding the involved parties to a particular version of the truth that’s suitable in her eyes. It’s refreshing to have a show about someone who’s just really good at lying. Also the protagonist is a total freak which is pretty funny too

I liked season 1, but it was really brought down by its last arc dragging on so long and being kind of weak. Fortunately, season 2 is just solid throughout

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Aug 9, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
if your show has 1000+ episodes I think you should get to the goddamn point already

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Koirhor posted:

if your show has 1000+ episodes I think you should get to the goddamn point already

Shows like that are usually a long string of relatively episodic adventures. They can keep running for so long because they get to the point regularly and repeatedly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Shows like that are usually a long string of relatively episodic adventures. They can keep running for so long because they get to the point regularly and repeatedly.

lol no One Piece is not episodic at all. It's broken down into arcs that go from 20-80 episodes which each tell a story, but they directly continue from the previous one and lead into the next one. And they're all in service of the overarching plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Too many episodes