Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

In this seminar, Denise van der Kamp argued that China’s blunt force pollution regulation is, in fact, a product of weak state capacity and weak bureaucratic control.

lmfao what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

China’s green transition is often perceived as a lesson in authoritarian efficiency. In a mere few years, the state managed to improve air quality, contain dissent, and restructure an economy plagued by overcapacity. Much of this was achieved through top-down, “blunt force” solutions, such as forcibly shuttering or destroying factories. In this seminar, Denise van der Kamp argued that China’s blunt force pollution regulation is, in fact, a product of weak state capacity and weak bureaucratic control.

Drawing on two years of fieldwork in China’s industrial heartlands, van der Kamp’s research shows how the blunt force regulation is used not to scare polluters into respecting pollution standards, but to scare bureaucrats into respecting central orders. Analysis based on satellite data shows that these measures have successfully improved air quality in almost all Chinese cities, but at immense social and economic cost. Van der Kamp argues that blunt force regulation is part of a broader transition towards “governance by uncertainty” in China where, instead of offering credible commitments, the state resorts to sudden surveillance and ad hoc implementation to achieve its goals. In this seminar, van der Kamp examined what this might mean for the future of market governance in China.

lol alright I get it you studied in Hong Kong lady, get over it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's a seminar at Georgetown lol https://uschinadialogue.georgetown.edu/events/clean-air-at-what-cost-the-rise-of-blunt-force-regulation

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mark immune posted:

legit heard an old lib complain about China's pollution problem last week. they are truly stuck in the End of History era

nyt ran a headline recently about how john kerry met with china and asked them to help on climate change and they said no

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Amtrak is starting to run a 110mph train between Chicago and St. Louis and I just cant help but think how pathetic that is compared to China

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

KomradeX posted:

Amtrak is starting to run a 110mph train between Chicago and St. Louis and I just cant help but think how pathetic that is compared to China

how much are tickets

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

slave to my cravings posted:

how much are tickets

Probably too much like all of them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just get a loan for your train ticket

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Shear Modulus posted:

nyt ran a headline recently about how john kerry met with china and asked them to help on climate change and they said no

lol that explains a lot. john kerry is def an EoH figure

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
if you have to ask…

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Truga posted:

just get a loan for your train ticket

fun fact the Turkish government just prohibited credit card payment on international airfare, travel, and lodging for its citizens. you can buy a train ticket with your credit card but it's gotta be instantly debited basically.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
lol, come'on China, just keep letting us spy on you.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-says-concerned-over-chinas-181551540.html

quote:

U.S. raises concerns over China's counter-espionage push

Daphne Psaledakis and Humeyra Pamuk
Updated Wed, August 2, 2023 at 2:33 PM CDT·2 min read

By Daphne Psaledakis and Humeyra Pamuk

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The United States on Wednesday raised concerns over a Chinese call to encourage its citizens to join counter-espionage work and said it has been closely monitoring the implementation of Beijing's expanded anti-spying law.

China's Ministry of State Security on Tuesday said China should encourage its citizens to join counter-espionage work, including creating channels for individuals to report suspicious activity and rewarding them for doing do.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tsitsikovas posted:

what an implication!

how can the government institute strong regulation in areas with weak rule of law and no societal cohesion

seems like one weird trick the free market will HATE

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

trampling all over the rules-based international order :qq:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

KomradeX posted:

Probably too much like all of them

yeah it's like the USPS setup but even more lopsided. the few routes anyone might actually take have to subsidize the 95% of the network that is extremely unprofitable, often unreliable, and undermaintained

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this guy went to Harvard and Georgetown?
Remarks by Vice President Harris and Prime Minister Oyun-Erdene Luvsannamsrai of Mongolia

www.whitehouse.gov posted:

Vice President’s Ceremonial Office
Eisenhower Executive Office Building

2:02 P.M. EDT

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS:  Good afternoon, everyone. 

Mr. Prime Minister, welcome to the White House.

PRIME MINISTER LUVSANNAMSRAI:  Thank you.

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS:  . . . Which brings me to the agenda for our meeting today: which will include, Mr. Prime Minister, the work that we will continue to do to strengthen the strategic partnership between the United States and Mongolia; the work that we will do and continue to do together to work on global challenges, which, of course, include the climate crisis but also the importance of upholding democracies and human rights; and, of course, addressing the threats to international rules-based order.
. . .
PRIME MINISTER LUVSANNAMSRAI:  So, it’s a great honor to meet you, the first female vice president in U.S. history.

Our two countries established diplomatic relations — 1987.  Since that time, our bilateral relationship has grown from strength to strength.  Mongolia is best known as the birthplace of Genghis Khan and for the great history of Mongolian Empire and green landscapes and never-ending blue sky. 

In 19- — 1990s, the people of Mongolia voted for democracy and the market economy.  And we are very proud Americans regard us — an oasis of democracy for us.  So — and, for us, United States is not only our strategic third neighbor, but also the guiding North Star on our democratic journey. 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank American people for their continued support and commitment to democratic reforms, and for the progress of market economy, and respect for human rights and freedom. 

The past 30 years, our democratic journey hasn’t been easy.  But Mongolia has been and will always be moving forward. 

Nelson Mandela once said, “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.”  Mongolia will keep dreaming and keep fighting for our democracy, and we will do everything we can to achieve our goals of Vision 2050 for next 30 years. 

I’m looking forward to having very open and constructive talks with Vice President Harris regarding our strategic partnership, which forge closer links between our two nations and people.  We will discuss about high-tech solutions, including space and AI, and share our insights about global issues, such as climate change and geopolitical issues. 

During my visit, I am pleased that Mongolia and U.S. will issue joint statement strategic third neighbor partnership, and we are going to sign an economic cooperation roadmap.  These strategic documents will play a significant role in expanding our trade and economic cooperation and attracting more investment from the U.S. 

Mongolia economy, you know, mainly based on mining sector.  We have great potential in copper.  Soon, Mongolia will become one of the four largest copper producers in the world.  Our copper from the Oyu Tolgoi mine will not — benefit not only Mongolia but also the world because — and because high-tech solutions is part of our commitment for fight against climate change. 

We also have great potential in non-mining sectors, such as tourism and creative industries; green energy; agriculture, including cashmere; and transport and logistics. 

I am very glad that U.S. commitment to supporting us and our economic — diversifying our economy.  Mongolia is landlocked but not mine-locked. 

Mongolia is one of the over 40 landlocked countries in the world.  We face great challenges in terms of transport and logistics.  We seek your support raising these issues in the international stage. 

We will sign the Open Skies Agreement you mentioned between Mongolia and U.S.  I am excited that we are going to commence direct flights, our two countries, Q2 2024.  It’s going to be great opportunity to promote tourism and trade, business and investment. 

We have taken many steps to improve our legal environment and for investment and private-sector partnership, including constitutional reforms and digital transformation and fight against corruption. 

Mongolia has just legislated for English as (inaudible) foreign language in secondary education.  There were some challenges; it took more than 20 years to make this decision. 

We are confident that it’s significant step to support education for our next generation.  These achievements can only be sustained through partnership with longstanding democratic countries, such as the U.S.

In this regard, my government and Google will sign landmark agreement to promote education and digital transformation in Mongolia next — this week.

I am pleased to be here on my first official visit to the U.S. as the prime minister.  I have fond memories of my time studying in the U.S.  It’s great to be back.

Yesterday, I walked around Georgetown, where I — I used to live in a dorm.

So — and I look forward to catching up with some of my friends.  Next time, I hope to visit Cambridge and drop by Harvard Kennedy School.

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS:  (Laughs.)
sounds like a jerk imo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

quote:

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS: (Laughs.)

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

its only good if we do it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tankbuster posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tsitsikovas posted:

wonder how many americans still have an image of china that is all smog filled cities? Like those pics that went viral 20 years ago, not realizing that they've been crushing it in actual climate policies.

Lusting for making land arable again.

my boss is a hong kong guy who works in shenzhen, we make wifi speakers, and just last week he was telling me that all the wifi speaker sales data coming out of china has to be basically fake, because “people in china don’t have the internet at home”

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

fart simpson posted:

my boss is a hong kong guy who works in shenzhen, we make wifi speakers, and just last week he was telling me that all the wifi speaker sales data coming out of china has to be basically fake, because “people in china don’t have the internet at home”

Hong Kongers can be the dumbest most racist mother fuckers. Americans have the excuse of being ignorant, they're right across the border.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

fart simpson posted:

I can see how someone living in Shenzhen would be under that impression, given how infamous its technological backwardness is. I hear they're just getting dialup now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Hong Kongers can be the dumbest most racist mother fuckers. Americans have the excuse of being ignorant, they're right across the border.

You clearly haven't talked to many Americans about Mexicans.

Everyone's racist, except us.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Actually, maybe he is referring to the recent trend of a lot of Chinese switching to using 5g as their main form of connection as it's faster and cheaper than a land line.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Actually, maybe he is referring to the recent trend of a lot of Chinese switching to using 5g as their main form of connection as it's faster and cheaper than a land line.

heh. 5g? that's it? China is so backwards compared to the US.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

heh. 5g? that's it? China is so backwards compared to the US.

But at what cost?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

GlassEye-Boy posted:

he was mixing up a few different things but most of it was that he said he was stuck in the past and formed his ideas about china 15-20 years ago and hasn’t updated them

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

10g is when they just blast your body full of energy like the experiment that made Dr. Manhattan.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

But at what cost?

quote:

The Xfinity 10G network 200Mbps service standard price is $73 or $63 with autopay, less with the intro discount. After 24 months, the service will jump up to the standard $73 or $63 with autopay.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

he was mixing up a few different things but most of it was that he said he was stuck in the past and formed his ideas about china 15-20 years ago and hasn’t updated them

the last time americans learned anything about china was during the 2008 olympics

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/thouse_opinions/status/1683408517833834496

👍

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gotta hand it to the Raytheon ceo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is the raytheon ceo really admitting treason just like that?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1686854732411789312?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

fart simpson posted:

but like. shenzhen. you can walk down the street and a guy will build you a router from scratch if you want

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

my dad posted:

It would be one of the most important inventions in modern history.

e: which is why I'm going to be skeptical until there's a large scale confirmation

goons say thsi about everything

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lmfao what the gently caress

Strong bureaucratic control is when you have 5 regulatory agencies compete to place representatives on a non-binding observatory panel to host a round-table discussion featuring all the industrial lobbyists before putting forward a tentative draft resolution intended for review over the next fiscal term

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Its going to be extremely lol if all the world's capitalists have to finally yank the chain to get the governments they own to stop escalating tensions with China. We can't go to war with the commies, they're our best customers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

when he's right, he's right