Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Opiumden34 posted:

In the market for a GTI, probably new. I just cannot decide if I'd want the DSG or a manual. I've driven manual all my life, and don't drive much in slow traffic areas. I at least think I have my ideal color decided.

for the price of a new GTI you could prolly find a manual mk7 and also a DSG one for the days you feel lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I say “fist” when I’m not calling it “the party car”

i also call it the fistyboi when i want to be obnoxious but :hmmyes:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Since “FIESTA” is taken as a license plate in Michigan, I thought about getting the license plate “EL PARTY”

I got DA F0RD instead, but part of me still dreams

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I know the DSG is slightly faster, but I'm not racing my GTI and I've had zero regrets going with the manual in my mk7.5

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ok Comboomer posted:

for the price of a new GTI you could prolly find a manual mk7 and also a DSG one for the days you feel lazy

AND it'll have buttons. But having driven my Dad's mk7, it's a hell of a manual box.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

AND it'll have buttons. But having driven my Dad's mk7, it's a hell of a manual box.

and the 7.5 looks better than the Mk8

although if you were serious about 2-for-1ing it I might go for DSG GTI and look for a FiST instead of a manual GTI, but I might not go with the FiST over one as my only daily if I prioritized creature comforts. If your budget were higher I'd say Mk7.5 DSG GTI + manual ND2 MX5/current-gen BRZ

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 2, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I went from a manual civic si to a DSG GTI and I have no regrets. DSG is a really nice middle ground between fun and convenience for me, and not having to worry about a clutch replacement when my warranty runs out and I start modding the car is nice too. Really the only thing I miss about the Si is it felt more planted in turns than the GTI does, but I'll eventually fix that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

prom candy posted:

I went from a manual civic si to a DSG GTI and I have no regrets. DSG is a really nice middle ground between fun and convenience for me, and not having to worry about a clutch replacement when my warranty runs out and I start modding the car is nice too. Really the only thing I miss about the Si is it felt more planted in turns than the GTI does, but I'll eventually fix that.

lol you think a DSG is more durable and cheaper to run than a clutch manual

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Was about to say, I'd be a lot more worried about a DSG out of warranty than a clutch.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The DSG is not going to fail anytime soon unless you do something terrible, but also it is covered under warranty, a clutch is not covered under warranty. The maintenance on the 7-speed is change fluid at 80k miles.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If you can’t fart tune a manual GTI then I don’t care.

(lowkey still wish I had got a DSG one instead of getting the FiST sometimes)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

There isn’t a day that goes by where I’d rather have a GTI than the FiST.

I know the GTI is a nicer and more refined car but that’s not what I want in a hot hatch! I want a nice-enough interior and giggles every time I push the skinny pedal.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rusty posted:

The DSG is not going to fail anytime soon unless you do something terrible, but also it is covered under warranty, a clutch is not covered under warranty. The maintenance on the 7-speed is change fluid at 80k miles.

I dunno about USA but the VW warranty here exclude wear on the clutch packs in a DSG just as it would exclude wear on the clutch in a manual car. You're covered for defects either way, just not wear.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

I dunno about USA but the VW warranty here exclude wear on the clutch packs in a DSG just as it would exclude wear on the clutch in a manual car. You're covered for defects either way, just not wear.
Clutch plates on the DSG are included as they are not considered a wear item.

I know the GTI is a nicer and more refined car but that’s not what I want in a hot hatch! I want a nice-enough interior and giggles every time I push the skinny pedal.
GTI is fun, but also I bought a motorcycle for that and it is insane compared to any car I have driven so I have that covered.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rusty posted:

Clutch plates on the DSG are included as they are not considered a wear item.

I'd love to see how you'd get on with making a claim on that

It's kinda moot anyway as no one is going to be doing their clutch in inside the warranty period anyway unless they're seriously abusing the car/or have added power

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

I'd love to see how you'd get on with making a claim on that

It's kinda moot anyway as no one is going to be doing their clutch in inside the warranty period anyway unless they're seriously abusing the car/or have added power
I mean my warranty is six years and the dsg is definitely covered even the clutch.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With an engine tune most places suggest also doing a DSG tune, or replacing the clutch in a manual. I don't think I've seen anywhere say the DSG can't handle it (presumably because it's better at shifting)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

devicenull posted:

With an engine tune most places suggest also doing a DSG tune, or replacing the clutch in a manual. I don't think I've seen anywhere say the DSG can't handle it (presumably because it's better at shifting)
It's also the same DSG they have been putting in the Golf R for a lot longer, so it can handle the power fine.

Also FWIW, the reason the clutch plates are not a wear item on the DSG is because it is the ECU slipping the clutch, not you, so any damage done is done by the ECU. The only way they could snag you on something like that is if they found out you were towing something.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 3, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is there any real benefit to the price bump between the golf R and Gti? I dont live anywhere that has snow or consistent rain so i dont think AWD will be needed, i dont know what else i get other than a slightly nicer interior.

Also the GTI here where i pice has physical volume and power knobs

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 3, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Al-Saqr posted:

Is there any real benefit to the price bump between the golf R and Gti? I dont live anywhere that has snow or consistent rain so i dont think AWD will be needed, i dont know what else i get other than a slightly nicer interior.

Also the GTI here where i pice has physical volume and power knobs

It's AWD, the power bump, and the feeling you get when you pull up next to a GTI at a light, nothing more. Unless you're a Eurocommie, in which case you can get the R wagon.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol you think a DSG is more durable and cheaper to run than a clutch manual

If I was looking for long-term cheap I wouldn't be driving a german car at all. My point was the stock clutch in the manual apparently can't handle the extra torque from tuning, at least according to some people.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey hot hatch small turbo car/any sized wagon thread, given the discussion of VAG products, does anyone have hard opinions on the B6-B7 gen Audi A4? Either 2.0t or 1.8t. Thinking about getting one as an AWD winter beater. Ideally an Avant, but the sedan is more available and on the table.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Hey hot hatch small turbo car/any sized wagon thread, given the discussion of VAG products, does anyone have hard opinions on the B6-B7 gen Audi A4? Either 2.0t or 1.8t. Thinking about getting one as an AWD winter beater. Ideally an Avant, but the sedan is more available and on the table.

Not sure if it includes the B6-B7, but one of the 2.0T engines was involved in a (successful) class-action lawsuit because it was so unreliable.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My parents easily sunk $25k of maintence and repairs into a B6. Lovely car, but always broken, and always expensive.

You can find some pretty cheap B8s, and they’re a hell of a lot more reliable.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Oh I adore it for all the same reasons, I bought mine new while cross-shopping against the GTI.

It’s just my only car and to Rusty’s point I also have a bike that does the big dumb adrenaline stuff for me. That might play into my moments of weakness wishing for a little more refinement and not having to row my own in traffic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you look at the amount of DSG clutch surface area compared to a manual it'll be pretty clear why they last a long time and can hold a bunch of power in comparison, it isn't just because the computer is controlling it.

They're a multiplate wet clutch in a similar setup to a motorcycle.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BlackMK4 posted:

If you look at the amount of DSG clutch surface area compared to a manual it'll be pretty clear why they last a long time and can hold a bunch of power in comparison, it isn't just because the computer is controlling it.

I figured this was the case, but I didn't know the specifics. Makes sense that it isn't just the ECU really good at shifting, but yeah, it's also sitting in fluid so like a bike, it doesn't have the same problem with heat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

VW was wise to never try selling the dry clutch 7 speed in North America - that was the really problematic one.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
DSG tunes are recommended when you really start making power, the manual transmission needs an upgraded clutch before you even think about doing any hp mods.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Head Bee Guy posted:

My parents easily sunk $25k of maintence and repairs into a B6. Lovely car, but always broken, and always expensive.

You can find some pretty cheap B8s, and they’re a hell of a lot more reliable.

my 2014 S4 needed $500-1000 every 3 months until I sold it to avoid the $2000 it needed now and $4000 it needed soon

Great car but a drat money pit

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I exploded the shoulders on my PS4s after 4 track sessions on the FoRS

Decided I needed some more camber to help prevent shoulder wear so this is all going on soon
Mountune springs for a 1/2 inch drop all around, maintaining stock rake angle, ground control camber plates and my buddy is sending me some real lightly used 2018 version 3 revision front oem dampers.

Also new meats obviously, Kumho V730s.

Excited for next track day, in Sept.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 3, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My spouse backed into someone while parallel parking my GTI this morning. No one was hurt thankfully and the other fellow’s car is largely undamaged (got in touch, he said it wasn’t a problem) but I have a fun little dent and paint damage right above my left rear wheel. Naturally this is the panel that’s one large piece and wraps up over the car. Doubly nice is that it’s on a fold so they likely can’t just pop it out. This is going to goddamn suck isn’t it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

My spouse backed into someone while parallel parking my GTI this morning. No one was hurt thankfully and the other fellow’s car is largely undamaged (got in touch, he said it wasn’t a problem) but I have a fun little dent and paint damage right above my left rear wheel. Naturally this is the panel that’s one large piece and wraps up over the car. Doubly nice is that it’s on a fold so they likely can’t just pop it out. This is going to goddamn suck isn’t it?

Might still be worth going to a PDR shop to see what they can do. Some fuckface in an Expedition slammed their door into the side of my RSX right on the apex of the crease over the rear wheel and the PDR shop I went to mostly fixed it. If I got a light on it at the right angle I could see a little ripple because I knew where to look but it was fine from 10 feet away and most importantly didn't piss me off every time I looked at it when walking back to the car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_FFJj_s1Rs

linus replaced his taycan with a gr corolla

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/iWNTeLpn8Uw

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s a guy that comes to car meets near me that has a K20 swapped Fit. It looks like insane fun, but that engine bay is cramped as hell. He had to notch the radiator support to fit it in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hasport is like two miles from where I live, super cool dudes and easy to talk to.

Also really willing to help with whatever hairbrain project you're cooking up involving a Honda motor, they made mounts to put a K20C with CTR transmission into a local NSX track car and are doing the mounts to put a K20C with CTR transmission into my friend's Exige track car.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My parents don't understand me and I need to vent. (I am forty years old and live on my own.)

I want to upgrade my FiST to a tune that will add 40HP and 82ft# torque. First, I am going to throw 16s on it and brace the suspension so it's not too noodly.

My family does not understand. They are habitual base model Yaris enthusiasts. The only reason they no longer buy base model Saturns is because Saturn no longer makes cars.

"but why?!" they cry.

"Because 82 foot pounds of torque."

I am so alone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

My parents don't understand me and I need to vent. (I am forty years old and live on my own.)

I want to upgrade my FiST to a tune that will add 40HP and 82ft# torque. First, I am going to throw 16s on it and brace the suspension so it's not too noodly.

My family does not understand. They are habitual base model Yaris enthusiasts. The only reason they no longer buy base model Saturns is because Saturn no longer makes cars.

"but why?!" they cry.

"Because 82 foot pounds of torque."

I am so alone.

tbh I wouldn’t do it. It’s an EcoBoom, and I’ve never felt comfortable putting more go into them

Suspension upgrade and thicker tires is all I need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think I took about 5k miles of life from my clutch on the way home on a missed shift. It smells so bad in my garage right now.