Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
since the thread is talking about the odds of stochastic terrorism in russia, i'm assuming the armored reserves ukraine seemed to be bringing forward haven't been up to much of anything? i haven't really seen anything about the southern front for the last couple of days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

since the thread is talking about the odds of stochastic terrorism in russia, i'm assuming the armored reserves ukraine seemed to be bringing forward haven't been up to much of anything? i haven't really seen anything about the southern front for the last couple of days

It's becoming increasingly clear that the armored southern offensives were a bust. The NYT detailed the results today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/us/politics/ukraine-troops-counteroffensive-training.html

NYT exerpts posted:

The first several weeks of Ukraine’s long-awaited counteroffensive have not been kind to the Ukrainian troops who were trained and armed by the United States and its allies.

Equipped with advanced American weapons and heralded as the vanguard of a major assault, the troops became bogged down in dense Russian minefields under constant fire from artillery and helicopter gunships. Units got lost. One unit delayed a nighttime attack until dawn, losing its advantage. Another fared so badly that commanders yanked it off the battlefield altogether.

Now the Western-trained Ukrainian brigades are trying to turn things around, U.S. officials and independent analysts say. Ukrainian military commanders have changed tactics, focusing on wearing down the Russian forces with artillery and long-range missiles instead of plunging into minefields under fire. A troop surge is underway in the country’s south, with a second wave of Western-trained forces launching mostly small-scale attacks to punch through Russian lines.

But early results have been mixed. While Ukrainian troops have retaken a few villages, they have yet to make the kinds of sweeping gains that characterized their successes in the strategically important cities of Kherson and Kharkiv last fall. The complicated training in Western maneuvers has given the Ukrainians scant solace in the face of barrage after barrage of Russian artillery.

The effort to take back their own territory “is requiring them to fight in different ways,” Colin H. Kahl, who recently stepped down as the Pentagon’s top policy official, said last month.

But the Western-trained brigades received only four to six weeks of combined arms training, and units made several mistakes at the start of the counteroffensive in early June that set them back, according to U.S. officials and analysts who recently visited the front lines and spoke to Ukrainian troops and commanders.

Some units failed to follow cleared paths and ran into mines. When a unit delayed a nighttime attack, an accompanying artillery bombardment to cover its advance went ahead as scheduled, tipping off the Russians.

In the first two weeks of the counteroffensive, as much as 20 percent of the weaponry Ukraine sent to the battlefield was damaged or destroyed, according to U.S. and European officials. The toll included some of the formidable Western fighting machines — tanks and armored personnel carriers — that the Ukrainians were counting on to beat back the Russians.

Speaking at the Aspen forum, Jake Sullivan, President Biden’s national security adviser, said, “Ukraine has a substantial amount of combat power that it has not yet committed to the fight, and it is trying to choose its moment to commit that combat power to the fight when it will have the maximum impact on the battlefield.”

That moment appeared to come last week when Ukraine significantly ratcheted up its counteroffensive with two southward thrusts apparently aimed at cities in the Zaporizhzhia region: Melitopol, near the Sea of Azov, and Berdiansk, to the east on the Azov coast. In both cases, the Ukrainians have advanced only a few miles and have dozens more to go.

At this point Ukraine has pivoted back to attrition fighting and small, localized infantry attacks. The decision to send armored columns directly into the jaws of heavily fortified, mined, layered defenses without either an artillery or air advantage (in fact significant disadvantages in both) after months and months of telling the enemy exactly when and where the attack would occur seemed nuts to me from the start.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 2, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Apparently, some of the mine fields the Ukrainians have been encountering are absolutely massive. In training, the western trainers told them that mine fields are usually 100 - 200 meters wide and 10 - 20 meters deep. The Ukrainians laughed and said they’ve encounter mine fields several kilometers wide and several hundred meters deep.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fatherboxx posted:

And Kyiv Independent knows that they are linked to the rise in the consciption age based on...?

they don't, but are using the fun media technique of reporting a second fact after the first, not explicitly stating a causal relationship, and letting readers fill that in for them. all of the association, none of the journalistic integrity issues!

the Meduza article doesn't mention the change in mobilization age AFAICT, though does indicate that law enforcement had found emails from the scammers on the arsonist's computers, and that one was filmed calling someone shortly after torching the wrong building.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Seems like it's settling into a stalemate with both sides flinging things at the other due to things being too entrenched with countless mines.

Russia will have to crack from within or this could become the new normal if Ukraine can't find a way to breakthrough, I can't imagine the west wanting to force a peace out of this stalemate while they can keep testing their surplus military equipment and sell off the extra while not giving Ukraine the equipment to really break the stalemate or protect it better from missile strikes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Mike Koffman has said on various podcasts that trying to get the Ukrainian military to a)fight like a western military and b)train and utilize newly mobilized personnel as their spearhead for the offensive were probably mistakes.

To the first point, the Ukrainian military is still at heart an artillery-driven military with it's roots in Soviet doctrine and tactics. It's actually fights fairly effectively that way. Ukrainian infantry, supported by sufficient artillery, is pretty good at slowly taking ground from poorly trained, and equipped mobilized Russians. It's not quick, it's treeline to treeline, and it's not without casualties, but it has been making steady progress. Trying to teach them to fight the way the US would fight is a whole lot more complicated than giving them some western equipment and precision guided munitions.

To the second point, while the new brigades with western equipment given good equipment and hopefully good training, they were still made up of green troops with a few months training. The unit cohesion that comes from actual battlefield experience is pretty hard to replicate when the poo poo hits the fan, and in many areas of the front experienced Ukrainian units without western equipment have performed much better on the offensive than the new brigades. The ideal thing may have been to train those experienced formations on the new equipment, but with that would have come the hard decision to pull them off the line for training in the middle of the Russian winter offensive.

Ukraine has largely stopped trying to fight like a western military and has resumed fighting like the Ukrainian military. The way the Ukrainian military fights worked at Kherson and is slowly working now, they're just up against much more heavily entrenched Russian forces that aren't on the wrong side of the river this time. I would expect more slow Ukrainian advances, not a breakthrough and collapse like Kharkiv. The Russian forces in the south are reportedly exhausted (presumably the Ukrainians may be as well), short on artillery ammunition, and lacking in reserves which could set up conditions for some sort of Russian collapse on that front in the coming weeks but I wouldn't count on it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I figure they have about 6 months to show good results. After that it's election season in the US. If they don't show progress by then , funding the war is going to become a political point for the Republicans to hammer the Democrats with.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vox Nihili posted:

At this point Ukraine has pivoted back to attrition fighting and small, localized infantry attacks. The decision to send armored columns directly into the jaws of heavily fortified, mined, layered defenses without either an artillery or air advantage (in fact significant disadvantages in both) after months and months of telling the enemy exactly when and where the attack would occur seemed nuts to me from the start.

With modern-day satellites and airborne intelligence-gathering platforms, you can't really hide build-ups anymore. The south was always the area promising the best results strategically so its not like telegraphing the attack hurt them in that sense. Remember the Surovikin line was being built well before the year started. The depth and scale of the fortifications as well as the willingness of the Russian mobilized soldier to fight were the main x-factors that threw them off.

It's a tough call right now. As I posted about a month ago, the Ukrainians are probably going to have to make a tough call about pulling their chips back from the rail and save them either to counter an anticipated Russian winter offensive or continue to send in infantry probes and hopefully develop better conditions to try and unleash a new offensive. Most observers on both sides agree that the Ukrainians retain a significant percentage of well equipped units that were prepared for this attack

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MikeC posted:

With modern-day satellites and airborne intelligence-gathering platforms, you can't really hide build-ups anymore. The south was always the area promising the best results strategically so its not like telegraphing the attack hurt them in that sense. Remember the Surovikin line was being built well before the year started. The depth and scale of the fortifications as well as the willingness of the Russian mobilized soldier to fight were the main x-factors that threw them off.

It's a tough call right now. As I posted about a month ago, the Ukrainians are probably going to have to make a tough call about pulling their chips back from the rail and save them either to counter an anticipated Russian winter offensive or continue to send in infantry probes and hopefully develop better conditions to try and unleash a new offensive. Most observers on both sides agree that the Ukrainians retain a significant percentage of well equipped units that were prepared for this attack

May you expand upon this in more detail? Are we saying that if the 2023 Ukrainian Counter Offensive fails then the next stage of the war is to see if Russia can take back territory? Why wouldn't Ukraine try to push in the winter too?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

May you expand upon this in more detail? Are we saying that if the 2023 Ukrainian Counter Offensive fails then the next stage of the war is to see if Russia can take back territory? Why wouldn't Ukraine try to push in the winter too?

Continuing or launching another offensive in Winter is not out of the question for Ukraine, but it will depend on large part of what their artillery stockpile looks like. In that they have to have enough in stock to actually have an effect on offensive operations and possible Russian offensives. Not to mention the condition of their reserves and being able to properly rotate troops. There are times when you can push your forces, but you do not want to get to a point where you break them.

It is also not out of the question that Russian simply continues to dig in if they believe their forces are unable to push or break up Ukrainian lines, and only launches localized attacks/probes throughout the winter. I do not think either side has the manpower/material to continue major offensive operations for several years, at which point we are looking at the situation becoming static.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently, some of the mine fields the Ukrainians have been encountering are absolutely massive. In training, the western trainers told them that mine fields are usually 100 - 200 meters wide and 10 - 20 meters deep. The Ukrainians laughed and said they’ve encounter mine fields several kilometers wide and several hundred meters deep.

This will take a century plus to unfuck, or maybe even new zone rouges :smith:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The zone rouge came about due to all the chemical contamination, i.e. arsenic concentrations that are literally off the charts. That's unlikely to happen in Ukraine at this moment.

Removing all the mines and UXO, though, that is going to take a century or more.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

daslog posted:

I figure they have about 6 months to show good results. After that it's election season in the US. If they don't show progress by then , funding the war is going to become a political point for the Republicans to hammer the Democrats with.

Which could just as easily be hammering the Democrats by saying that Biden is just a continuation of Obama's weak foreign policy, rather than that Biden is wasting American money on the losing side.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

daslog posted:

Even if this was true (it's not), lots of other countries are supporting Ukraine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Ripple posted:

Continuing or launching another offensive in Winter is not out of the question for Ukraine, but it will depend on large part of what their artillery stockpile looks like. In that they have to have enough in stock to actually have an effect on offensive operations and possible Russian offensives. Not to mention the condition of their reserves and being able to properly rotate troops. There are times when you can push your forces, but you do not want to get to a point where you break them.

It is also not out of the question that Russian simply continues to dig in if they believe their forces are unable to push or break up Ukrainian lines, and only launches localized attacks/probes throughout the winter. I do not think either side has the manpower/material to continue major offensive operations for several years, at which point we are looking at the situation becoming static.

I too, feel like this will end up like some kind of frozen conflict like Korea but long term I don't see how Russia comes out the victor.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

MikeC posted:

What does Russia have in the pipeline that would enable them to lead a winter offensive?

Last year they had the partial mobilization. This year they have nothing so far.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Oh Himars

:nws: video in this article
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...apphireappshare
guess they thought they were safe on the beach, nope.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hundreds?

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh Himars

quote:

around 200

Whenever anything mentions 200 KIA I immediately assume it is a mistranslation/misinterpretation of Soviet 'cargo 200' military jargon.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh Himars

Officers feeling safe and having groups of men form up every morning in the exact same spots for pep talks is literally asking for it. :mcnally:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Definitely looks like a few dozen. Maybe over a hundred, depending on how many were in the bushes.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

DTurtle posted:

What does Russia have in the pipeline that would enable them to lead a winter offensive?

Last year they had the partial mobilization. This year they have nothing so far.

Russia going on the offensive this winter would be a great way to lose the war. I think even Putin is starting to realize that the best he can do is try to hold onto what he has.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DTurtle posted:

There was a recent package of laws in regard to conscription and mobilization, blocking people who received draft notices (now electronically) from leaving the country and making fines for evasion more severe both for mobilized-to-be and their employers. They are likely a sign of coming mobilization wave. If they do it in September, they could make it a yearly thing for years of war to come.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does this mean new recruits will start coming out of cities like Moscow and St Petersburg?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does this mean new recruits will start coming out of cities like Moscow and St Petersburg?

There have been plenty recruits from St. Petersburg and Moscow last time - since 200k roubles a month is not as lifechanging sum for us big city folks, quotas were filled with raids and orders sent to factories.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They have been already - not totally proportionately, but the notion that noone in the imperial core is fighting the war is an exaggeration.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

There have been plenty recruits from St. Petersburg and Moscow last time - since 200k roubles a month is not as lifechanging sum for us big city folks, quotas were filled with raids and orders sent to factories.

But weren't the majority of current soldiers from other areas?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Rugz posted:

Whenever anything mentions 200 KIA I immediately assume it is a mistranslation/misinterpretation of Soviet 'cargo 200' military jargon.

It's an unsubstantiated claim by EuromaidanPress which was quoted by Kyiv Post and then re-reported by that Mirror article as "Ukrainian media reports...". There's a Ukr Govt. estimate of "dozens" killed which is more believable but still probably upper-bounds figures.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Rugz posted:

Which could just as easily be hammering the Democrats by saying that Biden is just a continuation of Obama's weak foreign policy, rather than that Biden is wasting American money on the losing side.

surely the notoriously tuned in to foreign policy american electorate would scoff at this, noting that Biden's foreign policy, at least vis a vis russia, is basically as far from Obama's as it could be?

okay, yeah, they pay no attention to foreign policy and will accept whatever pundits tell them as gospel

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

But weren't the majority of current soldiers from other areas?

iirc there was maybe a map that better showed the ratio of draftees to population, but i can't find it. https://archive.is/vpdp4 has a basic heat map, but with no data for Moscow. https://en.zona.media/article/2022/10/24/marriedanddrafted has a "Share of draftees" tab that's maybe relevant, but i can't say for sure as they don't explain the calculation

plenty of people are coming from Moscow, but there are also a ton of people in Moscow. as a percentage of population mobilization has been more aggressive in the regions. those same regions also had more contract soldiers, as the army is a better economic opportunity than the local economy there.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

surely the notoriously tuned in to foreign policy american electorate would scoff at this, noting that Biden's foreign policy, at least vis a vis russia, is basically as far from Obama's as it could be?

If it was truly the polar opposite to Obama then Ukraine would have ATACMS.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
by election time ukraine will be operating abrams and glsdb

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I am not sure glwhateveracronym will be delivered before the 2028 election.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Like, 30 Abrams.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Most people don't care about Ukraine because American lives aren't being used over there. Without some clear threat, foreign policy elections are tough to sell.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

fatherboxx posted:

There was a recent package of laws in regard to conscription and mobilization, blocking people who received draft notices (now electronically) from leaving the country and making fines for evasion more severe both for mobilized-to-be and their employers. They are likely a sign of coming mobilization wave. If they do it in September, they could make it a yearly thing for years of war to come.
I wonder if Russia does a "wave", or just continues the steady mobilization it has de facto been implementing. The steady approach doesn't appear to have incurred significant political costs, while a wave mobilization theoretically could. It also may have a more practical reason: it's just easier to absorb a steady stream of new recruits than it is to absorb tens of thousands at a time. Russia does not have the training structures of, e.g. the United States military.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Russia doesn’t seem to have much of anything you could call training

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I could be wrong, but didn't Russia lose a lot of their more elite troops in the opening days/weeks of the war?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OAquinas posted:

Definitely looks like a few dozen. Maybe over a hundred, depending on how many were in the bushes.

A report I saw said there were five simultaneous strikes, so the total of those would be the 200 200s.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I could be wrong, but didn't Russia lose a lot of their more elite troops in the opening days/weeks of the war?

Yep and later on they fed their training cadre into the fight... that option never works out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The "top tier" operators--the VDV paratroops--were tasked with taking Hostomel airport to use as a base for a decapitating strike against Zelenskyy's govt. They weren't supported so they were just crushed and most of them were killed. After them, the next best crew was Wagner, which spent a year meatgrinding out Bakhmut.