Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Dyz posted:

Why start a fight that doesn't need to happen?

That should be DS3 not Bloodborne.

It should be Sekiro not DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The one on the left should be holding shadow tower abyss

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

giZm posted:

It should be Sekiro not DS3.

That should be Dark Souls II Scholar Of The First Sin not Sekiro.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Speaking of Dark Souls II Scholar Of The First Sin, NG+ really is a hoot with the red phantoms everywhere. Went to grab the free chest by King's Door in Forest only to be rushed by two red phantoms in a logical gear setup (one big shield guy, one dual wielding guy). Much fun, will recommend NG+ playthroughs.
Also this might've come up already, but the crowns' never-hollow properties don't work in NG+?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

giZm posted:

Also this might've come up already, but the crowns' never-hollow properties don't work in NG+?

You need to go talk to Vendrick and get his blessing again every cycle. It’s dumb

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

skasion posted:

You need to go talk to Vendrick and get his blessing again every cycle. It’s dumb

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

skasion posted:

Ah, beans. That really is dumb.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's not even a big deal since by that point you're drowning in effigies, but the quality of life is neat and would be a fitting reward for whatever NG cycles you feel like pushing through.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Plus there's that altar in Shrine of Amana if you ever run out of effigies. It was a good friend in the PVP days.

giZm posted:

Speaking of Dark Souls II Scholar Of The First Sin, NG+ really is a hoot with the red phantoms everywhere. Went to grab the free chest by King's Door in Forest only to be rushed by two red phantoms in a logical gear setup (one big shield guy, one dual wielding guy). Much fun, will recommend NG+ playthroughs.

Most of the time when I finish NG with a character I end up doing + because it's different enough to feel fresh.

The NG+ for DS2 spoiled me because boy was I disappointed when I got to DS3's

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

quote:

DS2 spoiled me because boy was I disappointed when I got to DS3

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

That too, though I ended up putting more time into DS3 just because multiplayer was much more active after a certain point. Grateful for Return to Drangelic!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Dark Souls 2 has the best NG+.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I rarely bother with ng+ in games, especially souls games, but DS2 has one of the best with the changes it makes. Nioh 2 is also so different that I like that game’s too.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

giZm posted:

Yeah DS2 being my first souls game kinda spoiled me on NG+. Pretty much all the other ones are meh.

I went up to like NG+4 I think lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's bait.gif

https://twitter.com/HalfGrownHollow/status/1577761006562033664?t=nbqTQKuu1XJsdk7U9eJGNw&s=19

Iframes on DS2 explained

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I don't think that's correct, DS3 also had roll poise. You still had to hit some kind of poise threshold on your equipment screen, but once you did some enemy attacks that rollcatch you will not knock you out of your rolls.

Rollcatching is extremely important in DS2 though. The pace of the combat is slow enough that you can very reliably roll-catch even with high latency. Hence rolls had to be strategic and in reaction to the enemy attacks. Meanwhile DS3 rolls are so fast and the iframes last so long, especially with latency extending iframes, that trying to rollcatch was an absolutel shitshow.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I don't think that's correct, DS3 also had roll poise. You still had to hit some kind of poise threshold on your equipment screen, but once you did some enemy attacks that rollcatch you will not knock you out of your rolls.

Rollcatching is extremely important in DS2 though. The pace of the combat is slow enough that you can very reliably roll-catch even with high latency. Hence rolls had to be strategic and in reaction to the enemy attacks. Meanwhile DS3 rolls are so fast and the iframes last so long, especially with latency extending iframes, that trying to rollcatch was an absolutel shitshow.

I'm pretty sure the point of the twitter video is to show when the iframes are live, obviously the game has other mechanics too.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Due to a miscalculation on my part I attacked Licia to get rid of her invasions and for free access to Huntsman's Copse. Turns out she's on NG+8 like the rest of Majula and just one-shots me :v:

edit: and I didn't pick up Profound Still in NG. Well, poo poo. Off to Brightstone Cove Tseldora I guess.

giZm fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 30, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Keep on pancaking her! She'll never get a spell off

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I picked up a PS5 on Friday so of course I decide to use it to play DS2 :v:

Currently getting my poo poo pushed in at No Man's Wharf. Had a little assistance from a guy just chilling down by the docks which was nice and after he disappeared (small sign guy) I battled up to the top to ring the bell. I return to Majula to get some levels and note the monument which counts player deaths is on 448,877,230 which is an absurd amount.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Spiders Georg who just cannot loving beat Tseldora should not be counted

rye on white
May 5, 2013
going miracles this time around, needing sunlight medals for the big sunlight spear. anyone know a good place to grind out summons? was thinking the first bonfire in drangleic castle, get brought to like four bosses, but it's going really slow. am i too strong for the endgame stuff? not confident enough at all to go fume knight or anything but might have to

Orv
May 4, 2011
What’s your SL? And even before we give you answers based on that, try at bosses related to the bonfires that have a glowing border on the teleport screen.

rye on white
May 5, 2013

Orv posted:

What’s your SL? And even before we give you answers based on that, try at bosses related to the bonfires that have a glowing border on the teleport screen.

is that what the border means, orange = players online?

lv161 memory 2893540

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

rye on white posted:

is that what the border means, orange = players online?

lv161 memory 2893540
1) yes
2) oof that's quite high. Keep in mind that reaching Drangleic via 1M SM is a failsafe, after the four bosses players usually have less. The endgame might add another 800k or something but not quite up to your level...

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Started an inevitable yearly SotfS run. Managed to kill Pursuer in his "surprise" first appearance on that rooftop. Feels good. Bearer seek seek lest

rye on white
May 5, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

1) yes
2) oof that's quite high. Keep in mind that reaching Drangleic via 1M SM is a failsafe, after the four bosses players usually have less. The endgame might add another 800k or something but not quite up to your level...

can i make my knight smaller

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

rye on white posted:

you could equip the agape ring (buy it from straid) to prevent it from going up any more, but you can't decrease it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was firmly past 1M and opened the gates to Drangelic before beating even two of the bosses. I was also too stupid to figure out how to open the front door so uh

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

rye on white posted:

Do not post small knight

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

you could equip the agape ring

:goatsecx:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Serephina posted:

I was firmly past 1M and opened the gates to Drangelic before beating even two of the bosses. I was also too stupid to figure out how to open the front door so uh
Same, but the game is old now and most players are going to know what they're doing. It's not impossible to find someone else in that SL range, but it's imo obvious why it's so rare.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Raylax posted:

Started an inevitable yearly SotfS run. Managed to kill Pursuer in his "surprise" first appearance on that rooftop. Feels good. Bearer seek seek lest

How did you manage this? I tried it once and just got bum-rushed by the three hollow soldiers - stopping for long enough to even swing once at the pursuer left me open to immediately get combo'd to death by the other dudes.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

How did you manage this? I tried it once and just got bum-rushed by the three hollow soldiers - stopping for long enough to even swing once at the pursuer left me open to immediately get combo'd to death by the other dudes.
Keep the fight on the right half of the arena
Circle strafe right into his shield to bait out the (up to) 3 swing combo, attack/heal after his 2nd or 3rd swing
When he does his charge dodge to his right
Continue circle strafing right
Right -> Safe

The sleepy hollows wake up and aggro when Pursuer is killed, be wary of that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There is also the Pursuer cheese glitsch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXHb2joZP4

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Crazy Achmed posted:

The three hollow soldiers never even activated when I was fighting him, to be honest I wasn't even aware they could, I thought they only activated when he was dead or has left. I did nearly get ganked immediately after the fight when they got up and rushed me while I wasn't expecting them to.

But if I had to do it, I'd guess it would just be bait and crowd control like so much of DS2, he can be very easily baited into a long 3-swing animation set which I think should give you enough time to run away and kill one of the trio while he's carving up air. That's basically how I deal with the two big knights in Heide's Tower Of Flame, and the big knight + heide knight combo nearby.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This one is simpler than the other involving jumping the ledge. Might do a new run just to try this.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s extremely simple to just kill the three hollows while the Pursuer is being air dropped if you feel the need to do so.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Just parry pursuer to death. Every time you do so he gets sad and takes a nap for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Get ready for another DS2 ymfah video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJyFC5375m4