Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What are some good schemes using white as the primary? Like white + accent color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GD_American posted:

What are some good schemes using white as the primary? Like white + accent color?

That would be Com Guards. Pure white/light gray, with minimal accent colors for unit identification. Sometimes a bit of gold if you're feeling adventurous.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sir Thomas Marik's The Knights of the Inner Sphere are also white + gold

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcturan Guards, most use flat white but the 11th paints one part of the unit black as an accent, the 15th uses tiger striping on shoulders, and the 20th was the personal unit of Archon Peter and is basically an honorary member of the Royal Guards so you wouldn't be out of line to throw some blue and gold on them.

But the best unit in the Arcturans is the 25th, because in 3062 every single officer except the CEO was named after a character from Die Hard, including their incredibly dangerous and charismatic XO, Colonel Hans Alan Gruber.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I like the 11th, because that's my favorite part of IS space (Lyran/Periphery) story-wise, plus I like the idea of white with 1 panel/body part alternate-colored.

F-C units are kinda whatevs, but the merc units I like in fluff (BSI, Waco Rangers) have kinda dogshit color schemes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GD_American posted:

This Phoenix Hawk is a classic

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I really like the cockpit color you used here, is it a copper or off-gold?
Sorry on delay. I forget I post sometimes.

It's actually VMC Flat Red, Base Red and Scarlet with a high quick trim of Orange Red. The angle doesn't show it up well. I can post some pics up later. :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Here are some random mechs in various combinations of blue and white that I've done. I find that silver is very complimentary.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kesper North posted:

This Phoenix Hawk is a classic

Nebula California Home Guard.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Did they do a Robotech one? I only read the first book. I remember Star Wars, Marvel, and Transformers

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's Jetfire, so Transformers covers it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

Did they do a Robotech one? I only read the first book. I remember Star Wars, Marvel, and Transformers

The second one is Mad Max, Star Trek, NuBSG and Halo

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/54781/games-workshop-slims-down-channel-battletech-bulks-up-d-d-declines

So Battletech is a number 3 game now.
What did it, I wonder? Easy to paint, pre-assembled models? Excellent starter sets with insane value?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Cool looking models must be number one, its the main thing the newest cycle of releases on foot of the Kickstarter has changed. Alpha Strike being an amazing boxed game only helps as does easy to paint minis, but I have to think having good looking minis is the key here.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Good looking minis, excellent value, low barrier to entry

The popularity of the PC games probably helps quite a bit, and didn't they release a little beginner's set in Target? That might've helped too in the US. I guarantee Alpha Strike helped, I've met some people who think Battletech is cool but don't want all the bookkeeping.

All I know is the game suddenly blew up around here and we regularly have something like 8 to 12 players every week at one of my LGS, the smaller one, which is roughly on par with the number of Star Wars Shatterpoint players who show up on the same day, sometimes Battletech even outnumbers them. The other LGS here is insanely huge, absolutely gargantuan.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 5, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Having a decent starter set at the impulse buy price point (and a second one in big-box stores) and robust, fully-playable sets at competitive hobbyist price points along with cool looking no-assmbly models probably helps.

Like I'm sure there's 60-80 dollar 40k starter sets, but those require so much hobby work to get on the table, and then you're really playing a half sized army with few replay customization options, at best.

CGL seems to know what they're doing as stewards of the brand.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Like I'm sure there's 60-80 dollar 40k starter sets, but those require so much hobby work to get on the table, and then you're really playing a half sized army with few replay customization options, at best.

They actually do and it even comes with some paints and a brush, but it's not even close to being half an army, it's basically two minimum-sized squads. It's a pretty good value for a GW product but IMO highlights just how much investment is required to really get into 40K.

Meanwhile I've spent like $130 on Battletech (Game of Armored Combat Core set, Clan Invasion set, Clan Heavy Star) and that's given me loads of gameplay options already. Obviously the scale is different so the way the game is designed it's just not feasible for 40K to be that cost-efficient, but there's a lot that makes Battletech really appealing

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah Battletech is extremely accessible. Even as far as print two mechs from an etsy store and get playing level. It's really, really hard to beat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

[What did it, I wonder? Easy to paint, pre-assembled models? Excellent starter sets with insane value?

Availability is the key.

BattleTech hasn't been able to keep product on shelves, traditionally, so a game store that might've once been lucky to get like 1-2 copies of the old CityTech box total can get AGoAC and Alpha Strike boxes whenever they need them.

Add to that the starter boxes being made available in non-gaming spaces like Barnes and Noble, Target, and other major outlets that might catch the interest of younger players.

Then remove the frustration of hard-to-assemble, hard-to-keep-assembled pewter minis from the equation entirely and replace them with easy-to-paint, durable, soft plastic minis.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Its nice to see. I think the deal with Alpha Strike getting a good new box, easy to understand new rules in front of a new audience helped. My lil cabal of battletech fans got into it in 2021 mostly.... and we dont really reject a lot of stuff out of hand that a lot of "grogs" reject. We like Alpha Strike and are interested in Protomechs etc etc.

What Im seeing is most, if not all my bt friends are new to the hobby, and I think that helps a lot

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Battletech has an incredibly low barrier to entry, you can buy the Game of Armored Combat box for like $50 and have 2 full-sized forces and like 90% of the full rules right there. The mechs are already assembled, you don't need to buy or build any terrain, you don't even need to paint the mechs, when you open the box you can start playing basically immediately.

I also think the game itself is a big part of its appeal. Battletech is really, really fun! It may come from an older era of game design, but it's been tweaked and perfected over 40 years so it feels great to play. Mech movement is really simple to grasp and the back and forth of positioning your mechs is thrilling. Shooting is the best kind of chaos, where crazy things can and will happen, and filling the bubbles in on your sheet is a tactile, tangible, and fun way to keep score.

The modern layout of the rules is also great. All of the rules in the box sets, as well as the Battlemech manual, are really well structured and presented, striking a pretty good balance both to learn the game and as a reference during play (Total Warfare is terrible, but the entry level products are fantastic).

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FishFood posted:

(Total Warfare is terrible, but the entry level products are fantastic).

LOL I used the coupon in the boxed set to buy Total Warfare. The physical copy should be arriving soon but I was skimming the PDF and Jesus loving Christ the Aerospace rules :catstare: I want to include some aircraft in my Clan force cuz they're Cloud Cobras but, uh, that's gonna wait a while

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 5, 2023

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

FrostyPox posted:

LOL I used the coupon in the boxed set to buy Total Warfare. The physical copy should be arriving soon but I was skimming the PDF and Jesus loving Christ the Aerospace rules :catstare:

Comparing it to the Battlemech Manual is a really interesting and infuriating exercise: the BMM has almost all of the same basic rules, but is concise and clear and nice to look at, while TW is a horrific mess where rules are hidden in paragraphs of other, unrelated rules and the order in which everything is placed in is nonsensical. It's a nightmare.

The #1 book I want from Battletech is a sequel to the BMM that repackages the rules for aerospace, infantry, and vehicles in the same format so I can play tanks without wanting to rip my hair out. They also probably need to hugely revise or even redo the rules for infantry, but that's kind of a separate problem.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TW is very good

…if you’re keywoard searching it for something very specific on a tablet

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Vehicles are very easy to incorporate into BattleTech since most of the poo poo you need (motive hit table) will be on the record sheet but I’ve kinda given up on using anything else. I’ll save my numerous infantry platoons for Alpha Strike

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FrostyPox posted:

LOL I used the coupon in the boxed set to buy Total Warfare. The physical copy should be arriving soon but I was skimming the PDF and Jesus loving Christ the Aerospace rules :catstare: I want to include some aircraft in my Clan force cuz they're Cloud Cobras but, uh, that's gonna wait a while
If you are just doing it for ground support then the rules aren't too bad.

Just hope the other side doesn't bring their own air support...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm currently trying to pin extremely tiny Vtols and oh boy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FishFood posted:

Battletech has an incredibly low barrier to entry, you can buy the Game of Armored Combat box for like $50 and have 2 full-sized forces and like 90% of the full rules right there. The mechs are already assembled, you don't need to buy or build any terrain, you don't even need to paint the mechs, when you open the box you can start playing basically immediately.

Also you don't even need the minis if you don't want them. I mean I like them, but not having to have the correct model or even a model at all lets you play around with force composition a lot easier than some games.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Also you don't even need the minis if you don't want them. I mean I like them, but not having to have the correct model or even a model at all lets you play around with force composition a lot easier than some games.

Hell, I love that even just having the right chassis is good enough. A Hunchback or Timber Wolf model can be literally any variant of those mechs, across faction and era.

40k was my first tabletop game (long since abandoned for other/better games), and modeling dudes to have exactly what the army list said they had was one of my first frustration points.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Having a magnetized 40k army though was a feat I loved

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/54781/games-workshop-slims-down-channel-battletech-bulks-up-d-d-declines

So Battletech is a number 3 game now.
What did it, I wonder? Easy to paint, pre-assembled models? Excellent starter sets with insane value?

i think magic is pushing out people with how much it costs. It's always been expensive but the greed from wotc is laughably transparent. I've got all the minis I could want, painted up, for the cost of a budget commander deck.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Do any Battletech experts here know if there would be a major change in size and shape between the regular Blackjack and the Omni version, or how you'd convert a model for one to the other? The BJ2-O looks really similar on Sarna (although the art styles of the images used are a little bit different), but it's 5 tons heavier and carries a lot more gun.

Looking on Iron Wind Metals the mini they have is still going on the oldschool design, so that's not much help.

I've got a load of small 3D printed gun barrels, missile pods and so on so I may just take my second plastic Blackjack and switch the weapons so they match one of the obviously Omni loadouts like the twin LRM20 one or the PPC/Ultra 10 version.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Does anyone know of a good .stl for sale or otherwise legally available for the Imp?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

depends on how you're classifying "legal", but the totally-legally-distinct name used instead of "battletech [mech name]" on 3d printing sites is "american mecha [mech name/legally-distinct mech name]"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

LaSquida posted:

Does anyone know of a good .stl for sale or otherwise legally available for the Imp?

There isn't one. If you find a .stl for the Imp it's :filez:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just as a warning, I have a feeling the Imp is likely to get its own official plastic mini sooner than later, like maybe in the next year or two.

If CGL wanted to get the Hoplite (of all things) and the Shogun in the Mercs set, then an Imp is likely to follow. The Annihilator is already done

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 7, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm holding out hope for a new Jinggau in something. The art that dropped in Shrapnel vol 12 is sick.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:eyepop:

Knew that left arm was going to be smaller and much less boxy.

Excellent re-imagining of the corn cob cockpit glass.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 7, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I will be playing Alpha Strike on Wednesday and my opponent is taking 16 Urbanmechs. What is the stupidest thing I can do in response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Too bad they took the sun devices out of the armor, though. I like that the Capellan flagship designs from the time all had the same decorative motif.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I will be playing Alpha Strike on Wednesday and my opponent is taking 16 Urbanmechs. What is the stupidest thing I can do in response?

A single Griffin and rolling mapsheets so he doesn't get to play the game