Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't know if Hbomb's video plans to touch on this at all, but I do wonder where the line is for Youtubers between "this bit of text is saying exactly what it is I'm trying to convey and I don't know how to cut it down without losing its effectiveness, but I'll make it clear that this is a direct quote" and whatever it is Illumanughtii seems to be doing. To be honest it's been a really long time since I've watched any of her vids so I don't know how egregious she's being in lifting text from others, beyond the bit that Hbomb pointed out on Twitter. She seems to cite her sources, but I don't think that covers your rear end if your directly quoting as if its your own writing, as opposed to quoting small bits while gesturing to the work as a whole.

This is what half the preview is about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

sirtommygunn posted:

This is what half the preview is about

drat I guess I should subscribe to the patreon on then :shrug:

I mean, I should anyway

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Isn't it literally a dollar to get early access?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also if anyone is using Patreon right now, double-check to make sure your payments are going through, apparently something fucky is going on on Patreon's end and payments are getting flagged as "fraudulent" or something

https://twitter.com/JasonKPargin/status/1686783605551382530?t=mDxl2uIPLzRMyG76vh9fsA&s=19

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Guy A. Person posted:

Wellll if the HBomb vid is any indication she's about to be in much hotter water based on her flagrant use of several high profile documentaries, which she is blatantly reading the script from while using filtered footage from

The revelation that she's had multiple other channels in the past that were just trend-chasing content mills certainly goes a long way to explain what's going on with her current one.

The Patreon video has also now confirmed that Harris is good enough at what he does that he's quite pleasant and informative to listen to even when there's zero visuals and just a black screen for like 30 minutes.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Sydin posted:

The Patreon video has also now confirmed that Harris is good enough at what he does that he's quite pleasant and informative to listen to even when there's zero visuals and just a black screen for like 30 minutes.
I have an informal list titled Youtubers That I Think Should Get In To Audiobook Narration

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

YggiDee posted:

Also if anyone is using Patreon right now, double-check to make sure your payments are going through, apparently something fucky is going on on Patreon's end and payments are getting flagged as "fraudulent" or something

https://twitter.com/JasonKPargin/status/1686783605551382530?t=mDxl2uIPLzRMyG76vh9fsA&s=19

Sad for Dan who no longer can earn 80k per month

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
patreon is good, actually

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sydin posted:

The revelation that she's had multiple other channels in the past that were just trend-chasing content mills certainly goes a long way to explain what's going on with her current one.

This just makes it even more wild that she went after a popular channel like Legal Eagle. If you've got a good con going, why blow up your spot like that?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The ‘Cruel World Happy Mind’ video on iilluminaughtii (posted here a week ago?) goes into her history as 1st a contributor to a conservative channel where she played a “Sarah J Warren” character that mocked SJWs. THEN went into reading/reacting to reddit posts, then pivoted to r/antiMLM, then whatever she’s at now. Even just skipping to the end to Madison’s story is pretty revealing; Blair really has no issue stealing from smaller creators she thinks are too insignificant to hurt her.

I’m wondering if Hbomb is going to get into James Somerton. He’s been found plagiarizing from Tinker Belles and Evil Queens and other queer texts/documentaries, as well as a random blogger.

I’ve never cared much for iilluminaughtii; I watched half of a video on a topic I was already familiar with and pretty quickly caught on that she was essentially reading from Wikipedia. I really liked some of Somerton’s videos but was struck by the mix of nuanced insights and bad takes. Was way more disappointed to find he’s a shameless plagiarist. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Crocobile posted:

I really liked some of Somerton’s videos but was struck by the mix of nuanced insights and bad takes. Was way more disappointed to find he’s a shameless plagiarist. :(

I was really disappointed when I found out too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydin posted:

The Pathalogic video has that throwaway gag at the start of Part 2 where he complains that people listen to his videos even though he puts loads of work into the visuals - I hope it WAS a joke because it's surely a compliment to his scripting rather than a diss of the visuals.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

This just makes it even more wild that she went after a popular channel like Legal Eagle. If you've got a good con going, why blow up your spot like that?
There's an idea that people who do something that they know to be not ethically sound will eventually self-sabotage in such a way as to get busted, simply to assuage their own guilt.

It'd be interesting if it was explored in psychology, but I've yet to hear anything about that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was really disappointed when I found out too.
Yeah, that one sucked, and not in the fun way either.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sad for Dan who no longer can earn 80k per month

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's an epidemic of plagiarist channels on youtube right now thanks to zero integrity or oversight combined with the pressure to constantly produce new content for views. I've noticed it happening with a ton of science channels over the past couple years. Any time some mildly interesting academic paper comes out there's an almost instantaneous drop of a half-dozen ARE ALIENS REAL??? thumbnails on my feed with nearly identical stock images and machine-written text. The most charitable thing I can say about Somerton is that at least it's a human doing the plagiarizing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also been some talk recently about "react" videos that are just basically stealing content. Pinely did a video a while back about how a bigger channel took one of his videos, did a react to it and then literally stole his thumbnail for their video just replacing his face with theirs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

muscles like this! posted:

There's also been some talk recently about "react" videos that are just basically stealing content. Pinely did a video a while back about how a bigger channel took one of his videos, did a react to it and then literally stole his thumbnail for their video just replacing his face with theirs.

Jacksfilms just started jjjacksfilms which is a channel only reacting to sssniperwolfs reaction vids, but crediting the folks who she fails to credit and playing games like guessing the exact phrase she is going to say

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My favourite content mills are the ones that are just straight up reading out Alien comics and using the novelisations of the comics for all the non dialog bits of the comic. Good work, AlienTheory, another comic read out loud!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fil5000 posted:

My favourite content mills are the ones that are just straight up reading out Alien comics and using the novelisations of the comics for all the non dialog bits of the comic. Good work, AlienTheory, another comic read out loud!

Does it end up like the old spiderman cartoon?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Skippy McPants posted:

It's all the weirder when you think about it in depth. Why launch an insane plagiarism claim against a channel run by an actual real world lawyer who has talked in video about doing copyright law work previously? "I'm going to hit someone in the face with this stick of bloody meat. Let's start with this lion."

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Sydin posted:

Has he finally given in and pandered to the people who listen to his videos like podcasts instead of watching them?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skippy McPants posted:

Social media popularity is like an RPG where you stop getting worthwhile XP grinding on beginner monsters and need to get into occasional battles with things at or above your level, except in this case it's follower counts and it's stupid clout slapfights.

Also, honestly, after watching that Cruel World Happy Mind video on iilluminaughtii, she has a lot of the same abusive, controlling narcissist behaviors some other forums-famous assholes have: the emotional manipulation and love bombing when she wants to win someone over, the specific way she assesses and targets vulnerable people for harassment, the way she slides into groups to make herself the center of them, how she'll flip political positions the minute she smells a change in the wind because it's about self-image and not sincere commitments a cause, the way she abuses copyright claims and legal threats to erase her past or take down anything criticizing her, her fantasy of running what amounts to a cult/company town with her on top, etc.

After a point a lot of people like that get a big head and overstep, and then it all comes spilling out at once. And I'm going to repost the CWHM video because it really is good, if long and very emotionally-draining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x04ssLoNs2g

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah the company neighborhood reveal was the biggest loving red flag. She wanted to be her employees' goddamn landlord, too :eyepop: she could barely handle being Wonder's landlord without exploiting him in her own house and buttering him up to buy a car she knew he couldn't afford. God that still makes me so mad

Skippy McPants posted:

She was so used to punching down that she thought she could take on someone who was an actual expert in their field and not just mindlessly reciting Wikipedia articles

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtL2KY14QAc

I'm almost halfway through the video and I'm enjoying it. Remember not to post any Shadiversity by the way.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Shadi "I think the medieval times were correct and women dont deserve the same rights or stories as men" versity?

Font tell me he found his way into a Jack Saint video again?

*checks topic* Oh of course. Got a good helping of Critical Drinker and Shapiro too.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 3, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shadi "I believe all pre-modern mythology about medieval history was real and good, and call actual medieval historians revisionist" versity

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Shad still exists? I feel like I havent heard that name in years

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm happy that the only sword youtubers I follow are Skallagrim and Matt Easton.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

I remember somebody did an actual video compilation when the Resident Evil 2 remake came out and it was everybody reacting to Mr. X showing up for the first time and it was uncannily note for note in about all cases. Just the whole goggle eyes, mouth opened, possibly having an aneurysm YouTube Expression(tm).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thew's latest video is a review of all the Unicron toys. Including the Haslab one.
e: whoops, not out yet

It's worth a watch, the haslab unicron straight up gave him an existential crisis, making him question why he does this and what he even wants from the hobby. Probably the realest he's ever gotten in his videos.

Also, I love the reveal about why he shaved most of his beautiful beard. he was trimming it and accidentally shaved a big chunk out of one of the sides so he had to shave it all off except the part around his mouth :allears:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 3, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

Thew's latest video is a review of all the Unicron toys. Including the Haslab one.

Uh, should we be sharing this? Its showing up as unlisted for me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Uh, should we be sharing this? Its showing up as unlisted for me.

seeing as the intro says aug 5, im gonna guess no

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
whoops, it was posted in another thread and I didn't notice the date.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
YouTube recommended me this video about cringe knockoffs of The Nostalgia Critic. Surprisingly he only named one channel that I was familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o61enM4YJOQ

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

This happens a lot in speedrun communities too. There'll be a big scandal over a record holder being revealed as a cheater, and a few months later it'll turn out one of the people who publicly exposed that cheater is also a cheater.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Really enjoyed the latest Tariq vid, though I do admit a significant portion of it is little more than an episode recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsKBbvZ4Xg

I have something to say regarding the missed opportunity in the episode where Carl goes to Iceland. The Simpsons is one of the very few animated shows (or hell, shows in general) that can comfortably assume that it will still be going for at least another, say, five seasons. I think there is an argument to be made that they didn’t necessarily want to completely resolve Carl’s family situation in that episode. With this many seasons having passed and undoubtedly many more to come, I think it is in their best interest to leave threads hanging and give characters new depth, room to grow and develop.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Ariong posted:

Really enjoyed the latest Tariq vid, though I do admit a significant portion of it is little more than an episode recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsKBbvZ4Xg

I have something to say regarding the missed opportunity in the episode where Carl goes to Iceland. The Simpsons is one of the very few animated shows (or hell, shows in general) that can comfortably assume that it will still be going for at least another, say, five seasons. I think there is an argument to be made that they didn’t necessarily want to completely resolve Carl’s family situation in that episode. With this many seasons having passed and undoubtedly many more to come, I think it is in their best interest to leave threads hanging and give characters new depth, room to grow and develop.

Honestly, it's kind of nice to see some thoughtful critique about Modern Simpsons. I'm definitely still not a fan of recent episodes but I appreciate where he's coming from with this. Tariq is a great reviewer

That said, it's weird to see an episode all about Black identity being written by (please correct me if I'm wrong) the all white writers-room on the loving Simpsons

Musical Hell has to get creative to get around copyright strikes over her newest review of The Playmobil movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvk8p6MFMQ

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 4, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watching Jenny's return to Evermore and holy poo poo it's mystifying how much basic poo poo Evermore is not willing to do for even a low rent park. Like not illuminating half of the paths at night. what even the gently caress. and just straight up having days where there's only staff at the entrance of the park

there are bodies buried at this park. this is a serial killer's ideal hotspot

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

watching Jenny's return to Evermore and holy poo poo it's mystifying how much basic poo poo Evermore is not willing to do for even a low rent park. Like not illuminating half of the paths at night. what even the gently caress. and just straight up having days where there's only staff at the entrance of the park

there are bodies buried at this park. this is a serial killer's ideal hotspot

And then contrast all the stuff they cheaped out on vs. their expensive audacity to loving sue Taylor Swift of all people for the stupidest of reasons and put themselves on the radar of a bunch of people who could easily ruin them when they would have otherwise just slipped by unnoticed. That said, the back third of that video is completely unneeded. It just runs out of steam and actual interesting things to talk about by the time Jenny actually physically gets to Evermore itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

And then contrast all the stuff they cheaped out on vs. their expensive audacity to loving sue Taylor Swift of all people for the stupidest of reasons and put themselves on the radar of a bunch of people who could easily ruin them when they would have otherwise just slipped by unnoticed. That said, the back third of that video is completely unneeded. It just runs out of steam and actual interesting things to talk about by the time Jenny actually physically gets to Evermore itself.

It’s interesting to see the place, although some of the specific experiences are just repetitions of the major thesis that evermore is badly mismanaged and doomed to fail. The gamble goblin must be in jail by now.